closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tell me about Seiko 5's

Quote Originally Posted by 893bet View Post
    Funny enough I found one of these I'm my dads house today in an old drawer. Picture an old farm house that hasn't been cleared out since the famine and you can imagine the last time this saw daylight.

One quick shake and of it went!

January 1975 it dates from.
    Don't leave us hanging chap, get some snaps up.

Master
    I was looking at one ages ago dirt cheap but pretty much throw away if they need servicing or repairs as a basic independant service seems to be about £100 now

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa Hotel View Post
    Don't leave us hanging chap, get some snaps up.
    As requested. Need to try trace where it came from as my dad is not into watches in anyway. I am hoping there is a little bit of history to it! Bracelet is pretty much wrecked with stretch.

Master

Smile Looks great

I have a brand new Seiko 5 strap which I removed straight away when I got mine, slightly different link pattern but I'm sure it would fit yours.
    It's yours if you want it, just send me a pm with address and I'll pop it in the post :)

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by barryw View Post
    I have a brand new Seiko 5 strap which I removed straight away when I got mine, slightly different link pattern but I'm sure it would fit yours.
    It's yours if you want it, just send me a pm with address and I'll pop it in the post :)

That would be suberb!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Well 3 months later I finally got around to putting the strap on that Barryw kindly sent!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Master
    Well 3 months later I finally got around to putting the strap on that Barryw kindly sent!
    Perfect mate, pleased I could help.

Worthy enough things for factory workers and the like, but the aspirational working man would be better off with an Omega or Rolex on credit. 0% is easy to get at any of the high street chains.
    You're a Tory MP and I claim my £500 prize (have your man give it to me as I'm sure you'd never carry anything as common as a £500 note or cash )

M

Craftsman
    Well, I think they are really fair quality for the price

Master
    I also have the one on the right in the picture above and despite it being the cheapest watch I own, it gets worn more than any of the others. Great watch for the price.

They're also good/fun to modify!

M

That works! What's the crystal on the old models? If acrylic you can make it look infinitely better with a only a few minutes elbow grease and a dab of toothpaste.

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    You're a Tory MP and I claim my £500 prize (have your man give it to me as I'm sure you'd never carry anything as common as a £500 note or cash )

M
    I shall send my man Rupert post haste! He doesn't mind handling the dirty commoner denominations like "fifties". It hurt me to use that colloquialism.

Like all watch brands their are models you will like and some you wont.Seiko watches are no different.I don't like all the 5 models but saw one of these on the show your Seiko thread and ordered one the very next day.

I know I could have just stayed away, but I am one of the few on here that has a negative story on Seiko 5s.

I bought one for my 8 year old son a couple of years ago and had the movement replaced 3 times. Thats 4 movements in a year and the last one broke too.

We just gave up and bought a G Shock.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dapper View Post
    5s are amazing.
    A huge range to choose from with some outstanding designs & all in-house.
    Quality undeserved at the price.
    This is the only one I currently own & I think it's superb...

Have a look at this from the 'curiousMan' series of 'Under the Microscope' threads ... http://forums.watchuseek.com/f71/sei...cs-773960.html
    Hi everyone, after many months of lurking I finally signed up yesterday! This forum is a brilliant source of knowledge and opinion, and I have already learned a great deal so thanks to you all for that.

I'm afraid I'm only starting out in my watch journey, so have no interesting pics to share. A couple of years ago I bought, spur of the moment, a very nice (and heavily discounted) Raymond Weil which I love (I know, I know not exactly the best brand out there!) but am now itching to make some more purchases.

So, why post to this thread? Well frankly it was because of this beautiful Seiko - I did a double take when I saw the pic. Dapper, would you be able to post the model number I'd love to pick one up? I'm also interested in vintage Omegas, but this is a bit scarier and I think a lot more research is needed...

Anyway, as mentioned I think this is a great site and love some of the pictures posted - there are some truly stunning watches out there.

Cheers!

Apprentice

Unhappy

I Have a Seiko 007 and i think is very good. i dream a Seiko Shogun or a MarineMaster.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    Hi everyone, after many months of lurking I finally signed up yesterday!....

Dapper, would you be able to post the model number I'd love to pick one up?
    Hello & welcome to the forum.

That Seiko is model no. SNKE63. Here's a link to a good source ... http://www.creationwatches.com/produ...atch-5946.html

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by earlsy View Post
    I know I could have just stayed away, but I am one of the few on here that has a negative story on Seiko 5s.

I bought one for my 8 year old son a couple of years ago and had the movement replaced 3 times. Thats 4 movements in a year and the last one broke too.

We just gave up and bought a G Shock.
    Hmm... There comes a time when you need to think on where the problem lies. The 7S26 movement found in a Seiko 5 is generally considered to be amongst the most robust out there, also found in watches such as the Monster and the SKX007 diver. That said, "robust" in terms of mechanical watches is still pretty delicate compared to something like an 8 year old boy. Perhaps the three faulty movements weren't at fault?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dapper View Post
    Hello & welcome to the forum.

That Seiko is model no. SNKE63. Here's a link to a good source ... http://www.creationwatches.com/produ...atch-5946.html

Cheers.
    Good man Dapper - that is very much ordered! Thanks for the welcome also.

Quote Originally Posted by Montybaber View Post
    I own a couple of Seikos and i am very pleased with them, i received this today

a Sarb035 from Japan and it is my smallest watch yet and it will take some getting used to but it is already growing on me, the reason i bought it was because i was extremely tempted by a quartz omega aqua terra but wasnt going to risk £1750 until i knew i could get on with the style/size

With import costs it was under £300 and good value (IMO)
    bloody hell! I was just going to write a post of the kind:
    I have a sarb035... do I have the need to get myself a 5 as well?
    and well... it's all here!

I am grately fascinated by the 5s I don't know what's keeping me from buying one really...
    oh no, I do know... have to buy another precista first

Master
    Blog Entries
    That works! .
    It does but.......movement was over 40mins slow yesterday over the space of 4 hours.......hmmmm

It does but.......movement was over 40mins slow yesterday over the space of 4 hours.......hmmmm
    Ah...