closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tell me about Seiko 5's

Craftsman

Tell me about Seiko 5's

I've been looking at Seiko 5's on ebay etc and for what the are they seem very cheap and I was just wondering why?

Is it because there are so many of them on the market, they aren't popular or are the of poor quality?

I'm looking for a daily beater and these could be an option. I've only ever seen 1 up close and it looks decent enough watch to me and I quite liked the style. I realise there are loads of different Seiko 5 models out there to choose from. Please remember here that don't have a great knowledge of watches yet and what seems good enough to me may not be the best at all.

Thanks all.

The price is so low because the movements are very plain and simple – as are the watches – and they are mass produced in huge quantities and do not require much manual labour.

They are not the best at all, but they are IMO very decent quality for the price. In fact they are almost unbeatable in the pricerange. One thing you must realize before buying, is that they ar not the most accurate timekeepers. If you don't mind setting the time a couple of times a week, no problem. They can keep better time than that, but it's not something to rely on, when making a decision.

I've just brought this one

And my dad has had this since the 70's

Worthy enough things for factory workers and the like, but the aspirational working man would be better off with an Omega or Rolex on credit. 0% is easy to get at any of the high street chains.

Craftsman
    I have one, it's been all over the world with me as my 'away' watch in some pretty hostile locations and never been anything other than rock solid.

As to timekeeping I don't find it too bad, after a few weeks I notice it's not totally accurate but it's not been an issue.

I think it's a great beater for a great price and would recommend one for the above reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa Hotel View Post
    Worthy enough things for factory workers and the like, but the aspirational working man would be better off with an Omega or Rolex on credit. 0% is easy to get at any of the high street chains.
    So, you are slummin' it in the UK? Here's a pic I secretly snapped at a gas station. An Estonian construction roustabout:

As a daily beater they can't be beat. As mentioned the movements are mass manufactured and basic - they don't hack or hand wind - and they often don't come adjusted very well from the factory. They can be off by as much as thirty seconds per day right out of the box. But they can be adjusted to run much better than that. I have a project watch (pictured) made from a number of Seiko 5 parts (movement included) that I currently have running at -4 sec/day. That means I can set the watch 30 seconds fast and fifteen days later it'll be thirty seconds slow. My Rolex doesn't run that well. So for a watch that can be had for under $200 (£120), and sometimes for less that $100 (£60), I'd say the Seiko 5 does pretty well.

My dad retired early form the oil industry and it was good enough for him.

Craftsman
    Fantastic value for money.
    I think sometimes they would be rated much higher if they were more expensive and produced in smaller volumes...

Speechless

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Seiko simply don't make a bad watch. The movements in these are basic but robust. The metallurgy is as good as anything else and they are precisely as good as they look. They are fully serviceable, but most people treat them as disposable. They appear to last a couple of decades before wearing out, which is probably as good as anything else on the planet. An old Omega or Rolex is more likely to have been serviced for obvious reasons, but I'll happily pick up a good looking old one on ebay and am rarely disappointing.

In use, the only real difference you will notice is they don't hand wind and they don't hack. They do however start with pretty well any movement and can be reverse hacked with care. (you set the time precisely and then apply a tiny bot of counter clockwise pressure to the crown stopping the movement. It's a bit of an acquired technique, but easy enough to master.
    They also tend not to be regulated to a standard that takes advantage of their stability so often benefit from regulation. Mind you, that's true of most watches these days.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Montybaber View Post
    Speechless
    Speechless, meet clueless. Clueless, meet speechless.

That's the introductions done.

Craftsman
    Speechless
    I read it as a wind up so ignored it.

Seems they may be decent bang for buck. Not sure what I'll go for, been looking at some of the Citizen eco-drive as well. I have my eye on some more "luxury" watches but that will be some time off, I've got 3 kids and a mortgage so spending big on a watch will take a bit of planning\saving I'm afraid.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by M4tt View Post
    Seiko simply don't make a bad watch. The movements in these are basic but robust. The metallurgy is as good as anything else and they are precisely as good as they look. They are fully serviceable, but most people treat them as disposable. They appear to last a couple of decades before wearing out, which is probably as good as anything else on the planet. An old Omega or Rolex is more likely to have been serviced for obvious reasons, but I'll happily pick up a good looking old one on ebay and am rarely disappointing.

In use, the only real difference you will notice is they don't hand wind and they don't hack. They do however start with pretty well any movement and can be reverse hacked with care. (you set the time precisely and then apply a tiny bot of counter clockwise pressure to the crown stopping the movement. It's a bit of an acquired technique, but easy enough to master.
    They also tend not to be regulated to a standard that takes advantage of their stability so often benefit from regulation. Mind you, that's true of most watches these days.

Ok, stupid question time, what do you mean "hack"? I realise I may be making a fool of myself here

Quote Originally Posted by gunman View Post
    Ok, stupid question time, what do you mean "hack"? I realise I may be making a fool of myself here
    Not hacking means that the second hand doesn't stop when you pull the crown for time adjustment.

Edit. No stupid questions, just stupid answers.

I read it as a wind up so ignored it.

Seems they may be decent bang for buck. Not sure what I'll go for, been looking at some of the Citizen eco-drive as well. I have my eye on some more "luxury" watches but that will be some time off, I've got 3 kids and a mortgage so spending big on a watch will take a bit of planning\saving I'm afraid.
    You don't have to spend a fortune to own nice quality watches, i am enjoying building a small budget collection that i can enjoy for a while before any 'big' purchases

My thinking is the more time i spend wearing various styles, sizes etc will hopefully lead me to be better informed when its time to take the plunge

It also means i can wear a different watch everyday and enjoy them rather than being scared of damaging them

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Possu View Post
    Not hacking means that the second hand doesn't stop when you pull the crown for time adjustment.

Edit. No stupid questions, just stupid answers.
    Ah, Ok, thanks.

Craftsman
    You don't have to spend a fortune to own nice quality watches, i am enjoying building a small budget collection that i can enjoy for a while before any 'big' purchases

My thinking is the more time i spend wearing various styles, sizes etc will hopefully lead me to be better informed when its time to take the plunge

It also means i can wear a different watch everyday and enjoy them rather than being scared of damaging them
    I tend to like the style\size of older watches anyway so that puts me mainly in the used market. Sounds like you and I have the same idea as that's what I'll be doing as well.

Cheers

One of my favorite watches is a S5... cost me less than 10 quid delivered and it hasn't missed a beat in the nearly two years I have owned it.

Can't find a photo of it, but do have a scan of it. I must have been bored :)

[IMG]www.5280.org.uk/Seiko5.png[/IMG]
    Last edited by Cirrus; 24th October 2014 at 22:10.

Well said. I also believe that upgrading slowly and going through the steps gives you a better perspective and you'll be able to appreciate the small improvements that can be found in more expensive watches. If you know nothing about watches and just grab a Patek, how are you supposed to know what there is to appreciate, other than the pricetag? It's best to learn how to walk before you try to learn how to run IMO.

I tend to like the style\size of older watches anyway so that puts me mainly in the used market. Sounds like you and I have the same idea as that's what I'll be doing as well.

Cheers
    I own a couple of Seikos and i am very pleased with them, i received this today

a Sarb035 from Japan and it is my smallest watch yet and it will take some getting used to but it is already growing on me, the reason i bought it was because i was extremely tempted by a quartz omega aqua terra but wasnt going to risk £1750 until i knew i could get on with the style/size

With import costs it was under £300 and good value (IMO)

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrus View Post
    One of my favorite watches is a S5... cost me less than 10 quid delivered and it hasn't missed a beat in the nearly two years I have owned it.
    Same here. I'm on the my second SNK809, but only because I ruined the first one trying to fix the hairspring after magnetising it at work. Luckily for me my second one came with the most recent 7S26C movement, and is fantastically accurate. You really can't go wrong, and using the savings over another watch on a collection of different straps will increase its wear-ability a thousand fold.

A word of caution with buying Seiko 5s off ebay - avoid sellers from India. There are a ton of them and they're notorious for selling frankenwatches (watches cobbled together from parts of other watches and then clumsily 'serviced' by just having the movement squirted with WD-40.

They're not all like that, and I've bought some other watches from Indian sellers with no issue, but Seiko 5s seem to be a magnet for such practices out of India.

Master
    As said great value and lots of styles to choose from, check out Amazon and Creation watches, as there's some great models and prices.
    Regarding the budget watch market, there's some great makes to choose from and great fun, take a look at Orient watches, one of their best budget watches is the Bambino.Don't forget the Russian military watches the Vostok Amphibians and Kommanderskies they have a cult following and can be easily modded.
    Choose wisely and once you decide to move on you'll lose very little money.

The "5" represents five functions or features of the watch, and all Seiko 5s conform to this. IIRC it's shockproof, waterproof/resistant, automatic and day and date displays.

Nothing wrong with a Seiko 5.They tell the time and date are very reasonably priced.Great beaters and if you break it then just replace it.

There are some shockers out there but just choose the ones you like.Same as any brand of watch.I love Omega and Rolex but cant bond to them all.

save you money...pick only those with quality..40th anni diver

Seiko 5's = best VFM out there for a mech watch.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052

I love my Seikos, best bang for your buck out there.

My Five can hold its own against any of the more expensive watches in my collection. The only thing that lets it down is that it didn't leave such a big hole in my wallet as the others.

Seiko 5s are a range of budget watches made by Seiko.

Quote Originally Posted by Possu View Post
    I also believe that upgrading slowly and going through the steps gives you a better perspective and you'll be able to appreciate the small improvements that can be found in more expensive watches. If you know nothing about watches and just grab a Patek, how are you supposed to know what there is to appreciate, other than the pricetag? It's best to learn how to walk before you try to learn how to run IMO.
    Hmm, that's very nicely put. It also made me realise that it's pretty much what I've done over my 20 odd years of watch interest.

One watch
    A couple of watches.
    MANY watches and lot of box ticking
    Diversification and trying of boutique brands
    Thinning down for the end game

I suppose I will eventually end up with a very few again; gold dress, steel daily, cheap beater.

Master
    5s are amazing.
    A huge range to choose from with some outstanding designs & all in-house.
    Quality undeserved at the price.
    This is the only one I currently own & I think it's superb...

Have a look at this from the 'curiousMan' series of 'Under the Microscope' threads ... http://forums.watchuseek.com/f71/sei...cs-773960.html

Quote Originally Posted by seikomatic View Post
    save you money...pick only those with quality..40th anni diver

I had the ti version of one of those for a while , incredibly comfy and an amazing depth to the dial
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Speechless
    Unfortunately , there are alot of people that think like that on TZ these days .
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dapper View Post
    5s are amazing.

I agree with you, that is a very pretty watch.

Master
    5s are amazing.

Have a look at this from the 'curiousMan' series of 'Under the Microscope' threads ... http://forums.watchuseek.com/f71/sei...cs-773960.html
    The loupe test was very informative, love the watch it looks great on the strap.

Banned
    Personally, I find the badge/logo/branding awful.

Well, not actually awful, but like something a child should wear.

5s are amazing.

Great head/strap combo, really like that.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by UKMike View Post
    I agree with you, that is a very pretty watch.
    Quote Originally Posted by barryw View Post
    The loupe test was very informative, love the watch it looks great on the strap.
    Quote Originally Posted by CardShark View Post
    Great head/strap combo, really like that.
    Cheers

BTW, the strap's a Stowa 'Old Style'...

I use this one when I am travelling through the valley of the shadow.

46 quid from Amazon it's by a long shot my cheapest watch and funnily enough, one of my favourites........ Go figure!

Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    I had the ti version of one of those for a while , incredibly comfy and an amazing depth to the dial
    yeah they are underrated..

To be honest, i'll take a Seiko I actually own instead of a Rolex or Omega on the "drip" any day.
    Last edited by ETCHY; 25th October 2014 at 16:23.

Quote Originally Posted by ETCHY View Post
    To be honest, i'll take a Seiko I actually own instead of a Rolex or Omega on the "drip" any day.
    No real venom in any of the replies, but fishing is fun.

<------ Look at my profile pic.

Quote Originally Posted by mattlad View Post
    I use this one when I am travelling through the valley of the shadow.

46 quid from Amazon it's by a long shot my cheapest watch and funnily enough, one of my favourites........ Go figure!
    I've the green one, I wear it on brown leather, a brilliant little thing.

Good range of custom dials and hands available for them

Quote Originally Posted by barryw View Post
    thats a lovely watch do you have the model

Journeyman
    I like the Mini Monsters in the 5 lineup

Master
    Blog Entries
    Funny enough I found one of these I'm my dads house today in an old drawer. Picture an old farm house that hasn't been cleared out since the famine and you can imagine the last time this saw daylight.

One quick shake and of it went!

January 1975 it dates from.