closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Which watch for a Fellow?

Which watch for a Fellow?

I've just been informed that I've been elected as a Fellow of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers and feel the urge to celebrate with (yet another) watch purchase.

But which one?

Been hanging my nose over Eddie's imminent pvd Seafire, really hope they're ready soon.
    That would be my only non-mechanical watch though and that doesn't really seem to fit well with a celebration of Mechanical Engineering recognition. So, what's a Fellow to do?

Already have a Damasko and a Sinn U1 which appeal to me very much as 'engineered' watches rather than 'designed' watches.

I suppose an IWC Ingineur is a fairly obvious choice, but I think that may be stretching it financially right now.

Any suggestions?

IWC; or

Milgauss; or

Almost any Omega Master Co-Axial ;)
    It's just a matter of time...

Nomos,

or Junghans / Max Bill perhaps?

I think the designs appeal to anyone who appreciates functional minimalist beauty.

Congrats on the fellowship - I have found out from past experience that these 'accolades' usually come with an increase in subs...

How about something from the Ball Engineer line-up?

Edit. And congratulations are in order!

Grand Master
    Got to be a vintage watch of some description, probably a chronograph.

It has to signify an appreciation of all things mechanical IMO......and a chronograph fits the bill!

Paul

Craftsman
    Congratulations!
    For me the following appeal, on a 'technical' level:
    - speedmaster moonwatch. Surely one of man's greatest scientific/engineering achievements? (the lunar landing, not the watch...)
    - Zenith el primero movement. First automatic chronograph movement & still in use.
    - complications, e.g. moon phase, probably above budget but there's a nice JLC master geographic & a JLC master calendar on SC at the moment.

Grand Master
    +1 for the El Primero, that's the one to go for.

Paul

Thanks for all of the suggestions and the congratulations too.

Some good ideas in there. I think the Max Bill may be the pick of the bunch for me right now. If I could stretch to the Chronoscope that would be even better.
    Moon watch is another contender, but the milgaus has never ready appealed.
    Vintage chrono I've probably got covered with Seiko ufo and bullhead.

As for the increase in subs, you're absolutely correct, they go up significantly (all to change one letter in the letters after my name from an M to an F!) but one of the few progressive things my firm does is pay our professional subscriptions for us.

Off to research Max Bills now then...

Banned
    Congratulations.

i think one can perhaps bypass the obvious choices of things that say engineer or the like on them or are anti magnetic (not that i do not like the milgaus or iwc.)

it might be far more interesting to try determine which watches really stand out for their engineering. An early Grand Seiko might well fit the bill there (as would a richard mille but im trying to work within the fiscal parameters you suggested!)

Craftsman
    A 'real' Ingenieur (so sensibly priced) or 50s/60s 'cooking' Rolex.

Quote Originally Posted by Possu View Post
    How about something from the Ball Engineer line-up?

Edit. And congratulations are in order!
    I've never really got beyond the Balls Deep Quest and Ball skin diver gags, but just had a browse with fresh eyes. Sadly much of the range has at least one aspect which turns me off, usually the Crown guards or over busyness or just plain fugliness.

The ones with the loco on the case back would be a good fit for my industry but the ones that most appeal are from the aviation range.

Might have to look at used ones, new prices seem too much for what they are to me, but at about half that they start to make sense...

Quote Originally Posted by Josh B View Post
    Congratulations.

i think one can perhaps bypass the obvious choices of things that say engineer or the like on them or are anti magnetic (not that i do not like the milgaus or iwc.)

it might be far more interesting to try determine which watches really stand out for their engineering. An early Grand Seiko might well fit the bill there (as would a richard mille but im trying to work within the fiscal parameters you suggested!)
    I think the case material of the dc67 I'm wearing today is one of the most impressive pieces of engineering that I appreciate in my watches. I've had this over 4 years (and it wasn't new when I got it) and it's still pristine!

Have a Seiko MM300 already too. Not quite a grand Seiko, but it was a Seiko that cost me a grand ;-)

Master
    +1 for older IWC Ingenieur. Depending on wrist size (they are not huge) possibly a 'skinny' Ingenieur. Some of the black ones give an occasional flash of graph paper pattern when the light is at the right angle.,charming and very much for the engineer . O r there's the super-antimagnetic version if you can find one.

http://www.chrono24.com/en/iwc/ingen...arch/index.htm
    http://www.chrono24.com/en/iwc/ingen...arch/index.htm
    Last edited by Itsguy; 24th October 2014 at 18:51.

Master
    Calibre 853.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazytrain View Post
    The ones with the loco on the case back would be a good fit for my industry but the ones that most appeal are from the aviation range.
    Have a look at the ones I suggested in this thread earlier......#113

So, quick update from me after all of the thoughtful contributions from everyone.
    Ingenieur will probably be the eventual choice, but that will need a little bit of saving first. That saving hasn't got off to a great start though, thanks to Eddie releasing the Seafire yesterday!
    So, short term reward to me from me is my first non-mechanical watch since a brief flirt with a gshock a few years ago. Can't say it makes complete sense, but there you go - when did buying watches for a hobby ever make sense...

I hear what you're saying re buying a Quartz to celebrate your fellowship as a mechanical engineer.

I think that the mark of a good engineer is the appreciation of function over form and whilst purely mechanical watches are things of beauty (my suggestion would have been an El Primero movement), I think the Seafire fits the bill equally well!

Congratulations on both counts.

Me again.

I've just been informed that another institution has elevated me to the dizzy heights of Fellow. This time the one covering my specific industry segment of the wider mechanical engineering profession.

So, now I'm twice a Fellow I think this justifies another watch!

It probably ought to be railway related this time given the institution in question so, what does that conjure up for anyone?

Obvious first choice is one of the older oversized Omega Railmasters - if I can find one.
    I'm still tempted by an IWC Ingy, but haven't got very far in terms of saving towards that (imminent house move will keep a lid on how extravagant this can get)
    Ball Trainmaster of some kind ought to work, but I've yet to find one without some design aspect that makes me wretch slightly.
    Possibly something Mondaine - but I might just go for a desk / wall clock rather than a watch from them I think.

Have I missed anything stunningly obvious? Is there anything with a vintage railways / engineering connection that I'm not aware of?

Me again.

I've just been informed that another institution has elevated me to the dizzy heights of Fellow. This time the one covering my specific industry segment of the wider mechanical engineering profession.

So, now I'm twice a Fellow I think this justifies another watch!

It probably ought to be railway related this time given the institution in question so, what does that conjure up for anyone?

Obvious first choice is one of the older oversized Omega Railmasters - if I can find one.
    I'm still tempted by an IWC Ingy, but haven't got very far in terms of saving towards that (imminent house move will keep a lid on how extravagant this can get)
    Ball Trainmaster of some kind ought to work, but I've yet to find one without some design aspect that makes me wretch slightly.
    Possibly something Mondaine - but I might just go for a desk / wall clock rather than a watch from them I think.

Have I missed anything stunningly obvious? Is there anything with a vintage railways / engineering connection that I'm not aware of?
    Balls.

Sorry, I should elaborate on that really. I meant the watch brand, and their historic connection to the American railway industry.

I will say though, design wise, they're mostly not for me personally. Think they have a couple of models with an engineering theme, and they all have a picture of a choo choo train on the back.

Edit- sorry, I'm still a bit bleary eyed this morning, and I can see now you'd already been looking at balls.
    Last edited by seikokiller; 10th November 2015 at 12:49.

Hamilton is historically connected to the railroads. There are loads of Hamilton railroad pocket watches out there. With a stand of some sort you'd have a watch/desk clock. Hamilton also do a modern Railroad collection, but that's nothing to write home about (IMO).

Craftsman
    Congratulations from a fellow Engineer (Aerospace though and not a Fellow as such)!

There is only one choice especially to celebrate the the IMechE fellowship, but in my mind it covers all areas of engineering, the IWC Ingeniuer 3227-01

Ingy..
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Congratulations again!

50p's at the ready

How about one of Omega's Master Co-Axials? You can go dressy with a Tresor or sporty with a Seamaster.

Quote Originally Posted by nurek View Post
    Congratulations from a fellow Engineer (Aerospace though and not a Fellow as such)!

There is only one choice especially to celebrate the the IMechE fellowship, but in my mind it covers all areas of engineering, the IWC Ingeniuer 3227-01
    +1

High five!

Has to be a Milgauss doesn't it?

Journeyman
    Congrats on your fellowship, this http://xtrememeantime.forumotion.com...lroad-approved

I tried to buy a non-runner a while back, but I let it go.

Another possibility is the new GMT in house Damasko http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Damasko-DK...cAAOSwQoFWPgl~
    You say you already have one, but this is different.

Originally Posted by Crazytrain
    [...]Have I missed anything stunningly obvious? Is there anything with a vintage railways / engineering connection that I'm not aware of?

It seems that the obvious choices have been mentioned. However, you'd stated in your first post that you're looking for something more 'engineered' than 'designed', yet I find that the principles of good engineering and design are inseparable. As a fellow engineer with a mechanical background — though not a Fellow — I much prefer Rolex and Nomos, due to their impeccable manufacturing and design integrity, to any option so far with the exception of some of the vintage suggestions such as Paul's chronograph recommendation.

To me, these two companies represent true engineering. They have substance and refinement that, for instance, the badly-drafted and bulkily-cased generic-movement fare from Ball lacks, regardless of what fanciful names they have. The current IWC Ingenieur is just another outsourced commodity movement in an expensive case, and I consider Damasko to be more engi-nerd than engineer due to their autistic styling.

image credit: nomos-glashuette.com]nomos-glashuette.com

The simple Club model can be had for less than the generic-movement choices you listed, let alone a 3227 — which I'll admit isn't bad for an IWC, though I much prefer Rolex for that money. While it might not have an explicitly industry-related name, I'd consider it to be a true engineer's watch due to its no-BS design that emphasizes quality and function, and is free from gimmicks and trends.

Similarly, older Rolex OPs and DJs offer a lot of watch for the money, and are no-excuses machines.

And though their designs tend not to be terribly original, Seiko is one worth considering simply because of their vertically-integrated manufacturing prowess. An engineering connection should be more than just a model name.

Thanks for all of the considered and thoughtful replies - they've certainly helped with the focus of my searching.

Ball never really appealed and the more I look at them the more that initial option is reinforced - so they're off the list.

3227 IWC or an older linen dialed variant is tempting but not really financially justifiable right now.

I don't see anything Hamilton I really like (already own a khaki air race which was the pick of the bunch for me).

The Nomos is interesting, but possibly more at the dress end of the spectrum then I'm really comfortable with - will do some further research there though, I do like the simplicity of it.

I an still thinking some kind of Railmaster may work. Perhaps a modern one as all of my Omega's predate the coaxial movement.

Rolex again I'm happy enough with my sub date - but occasionally hanker after a 42mm polar explorer, again too expensive really for right now.

This does lead me towards a thought that hadn't initially occurred to me. I do really get great pleasure from my Pelagos - again for it's Ti case and matt face / bold markers. I think I need to go any try on a Tudor North flag. I loved the simplicity when I first saw pics of them and if I remember rightly they have an in house movement...

Hmm, choices choices.

^

Enjoy the research — the more I find out about Nomos, the more I respect them as a company.

Tudor's MT series movements are no joke; they'd be well worth checking out. That said, it doesn't sound like you're lacking for choice among well-engineered watches. Here's a completely left-field suggestion, though: reading Robert Bringhurst's The Elements of Typographical Design did much to enhance my appreciation for what constitutes a good watch, and helped me to better appreciate what I have as well to articulate visual concepts. Here's an example of its content; it's far less dry than you'd think:

"You are designing, let us say, a book about bicycle racing. You have found in the specimen books a typeface called Bicycle, which has spokes in the O, an A in the shape of a racing seat, a T that resembles a set of racing handlebars, and tiny cleated shoes perched on the long, one-sided serifs of ascenders and descenders, like pumping feet on the pedals. Surely this is the perfect face for your book?

Actually, typefaces and racing bikes are very much alike. Both are ideas as well as machines, and neither should be burdened with excess drag or baggage. Pictures of pumping feet will not make the type go faster, any more than smoke trails, pictures of rocket ships or imitation lightning bolts tied to the frame will improve the speed of a bike."

This principle applies equally to watches, or indeed any other machine.

Master
    3227 IWC or an older linen dialed variant is tempting but not really financially justifiable right now.
    Some Ingenieurs are considerably more affordable...