closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: What's your View: Cool or Abomination?

What's your View: Cool or Abomination?

Just browsing, as you do, and came across this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SEIKO-6309...item2a44e3ad0e

There are also quite a few from the Philippines but some seem to be done to a better standard than others.
    I can see why some people would go for these as you get 'the look' in a newer package with working lume and it's easily obtainable.

What are your thoughts on these?

Edit: Changed Title as that may have inferred I was looking to buy one. Really just interested to hear peoples views......
    Last edited by Thorien; 23rd October 2014 at 21:49.

I'm a purist so it's a abomination in my view, especially for 300 quid, if you like the look you should be able to make one for much less....
    Cheers..
    Jase

Master
    That is a total abomination and a total waste of money, why don't you just buy an original watch off this forum rather than waste money on that ebay rubbish, sorry but you did ask. Anything bought from the Philippines in my opinion is just a waste of money and has been tarted up to look half decent but in reality it is just a cheap poor quality franken.

Woah hold your horses! lol!
    I didn't say I want one!!!!!

I'm actually after an original 6105-811x from Sept '71, but I know that's not going to be easy to come across especially in great condition that I'd want.
    In fact it may take years to find, but I'm in no hurry.

But as I say, I was browsing and came across these, I've had a mod before (6309 from MCWW - sadly now gone) but that wasn't trying to look like something else. It's unique which is why I like it.
    I was just wondering if people had seen the mods/frankens before and what they thought and again I can see how they may appeal to some.
    Last edited by Thorien; 23rd October 2014 at 21:53.

Master
    Nah, get the dagaz or smiths homage (the latter if you can afford it) if you can't afford the real thing. Those mod parts just look cheap, and the dial is essentially a fake part since it has the seiko logo... If you have to, make your own with the much better AM dial available from a US ebay seller, but it's still fakey...

Grand Master
    Is there evidence to suggest that the substantial part of this watch is fake, i.e. never came from the Seiko factory? Such as case, movement, bezel. If it's a "grandpa's axe" of a watch where every worn part of it has been replaced, which could be the entire watch, then I reckon it's not worth it. But if at least some substantial proportion - such as the case/bezel - is original (movements you may not expect, nor dial, given the damage you see to so many), then I think it's worthy of consideration. Or at least, I'd consider it, if I was looking for a watch of this type. YMMV, as they once used to say!
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Master
    Just to be clear, most of the watch is genuine. I was simply referring to the commonly held view that seiko branded aftermarket dials (as opposed to those from dagaz, yobokies etc.) are essentially fake parts. I don't feel particularly strongly about them as they may sometimes be the only option to restore a watch to close to original condition but here this is not the aim...

Master
    I've owned a few fully original ones and love them. I'm not fond of the aftermarket stuff they put on them, especially when they want to make it look like a 6105... Keep it as it was and it'll be worth 300 quid real soon!

I don't understand why people want to make their 6309 divers look like a 6105. They look great as they are.

But this is happening so much now I think unmolested original 6309's will demand a premium. I already own a couple of nice 6105's and I am on the lookout for a nice correct 6309-7040, but although a great many were produced finding a right one isn't easy.

Looks like thousands of other Seiko divers to me!

M.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim W View Post
    I don't understand why people want to make their 6309 divers look like a 6105. They look great as they are.

But this is happening so much now I think unmolested original 6309's will demand a premium. I already own a couple of nice 6105's and I am on the lookout for a nice correct 6309-7040, but although a great many were produced finding a right one isn't easy.
    I think that's exactly why it's happening. Getting a 61O5 isn't easy so they are modding more readily available 6309's?

Quote Originally Posted by Thorien View Post
    I think that's exactly why it's happening. Getting a 61O5 isn't easy so they are modding more readily available 6309's?
    I'm sure you are right. But modding a 6309 doesn't make it a 6105, and it reduces the value of the 6309. Good 6309's are now sought after in their own right.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim W View Post
    I'm sure you are right. But modding a 6309 doesn't make it a 6105, and it reduces the value of the 6309. Good 6309's are now sought after in their own right.
    True, I'm finding it difficult to find an excellent example of both especially a birth year ('71) 6105. Will take a while I think....