closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: New Blue Nomos Lambda

Master

New Blue Nomos Lambda

I realise it might be a little marmite but I think this looks fantastic. It's a blue edition of the Lambda but for me by far the best looking. Not cheap though I imagine - the White Gold one was USD 20k!

Well, I think it looks rather nice. As you would expect from the brand, very clean-looking.

Crying out for a strap change though - but that's just my opinion.

I think it looks gorgeous, as do all of their 'Sunday best' range. Seriously high costs but I guess that reflects the materials etc. I wonder if, when they go 'full in house' on all their range, there might be a price increase across the board.

Craftsman
    .. A lot more desirable than the prior lambda, but ye gods the pricing is stroppy..
    Any of the cheaper nomos only going to get more expensive with the new swing system I suspect..

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    I wonder if, when they go 'full in house' on all their range, there might be a price increase across the board.
    Nomos are on record I think of saying the new swing system will be rolled out across the whole range with no price-increase. Obviously this could be a fair while and overall nomos prices seem to be well on the up year on year.
    http://www.nomos-glashuette.com/uplo...utomobiles.pdf

Craftsman
    looks good!

Craftsman

marmite indeed

but then again that's what you guys probably think of all I ever showed.

Guillermo

Master
    Why would you want an 84-hour 'reservometer' on the dial of a watch?

Why would you want an 84-hour mainspring, with its potential problems with isochronism?

Why would you want an 84-hour manual watch, when you probably wind it every night when you go to bed or every morning when you get up ... or both?

And, finally, why would you put air-brakes on a tortoise.

The answers to all these questions is the same and easy ...

You wouldn't.

Craftsman
    I've no objection to an 84 hour power reserve because it's going to give a more uniform spring tension between daily windings.
    Having a power reserve indicator on the front of the watch, rather than the reverse means you don't have to take the watch off to check the reserve (JLC Reversos have the advantage here!).
    Power reserve should be displayed discretely, not at the 'prime' 12 o'clock position, it should occupy less face area than a small seconds!
    For me Nomos styling has gone beyond 'clean' into 'sterile', I much prefer Stowa for my Bauhaus fix.

Love the look of it as a thing, but like most Nomos and similarly styled watches, I suspect I'll be completely turned off when it's actually worn on a wrist.

And yeah, in this case I think the massive power reserve is a negative since the reserve indicator is such a significant part of the dial and for most people, it'd barely ever move. I guess you could make a point of only winding it every three days to make more of the sub-dial.

Blog Entries
    I like it!

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
    Why would you want an 84-hour 'reservometer' on the dial of a watch?

Why would you want an 84-hour mainspring, with its potential problems with isochronism?

Why would you want an 84-hour manual watch, when you probably wind it every night when you go to bed or every morning when you get up ... or both?

And, finally, why would you put air-brakes on a tortoise.

The answers to all these questions is the same and easy ...

You wouldn't.
    I'm not too keen on the power reserve feature being so prominent on the dial. The movement is beautifully finished, I particularly like the sunburst striping.
    I think to have an 84-hour mainspring is a decent technological achievement. Yes isochronism could well be a factor but I suspect as you say that most people will wind it daily. If you really want a manual wind weekday watch it would be nice though to be able to take it off Friday night, forget about it for the weekend and put it on on Monday morning and it to still be going and keeping time.

Quote Originally Posted by NJHawkins View Post
    For me Nomos styling has gone beyond 'clean' into 'sterile', I much prefer Stowa for my Bauhaus fix.
    They make for lovely jewellery, the people have great manners and one has to respect how they have taken command of their supply chain when others couldn't be bothered to.
    However I agree with the NJHawkins above. I still haven't taken to my Tangente, it just feels limp-wristed. The Club is the only one I might feel comfortable with and they seem to market that as a 'starter watch'. As for certain other models, for me they are cold, smug, 'intellectual', metrosexual and starting to border on tw-tty. I really have tried to like them too.

Craftsman
    I like it, but then I like my Tangente too. I'd probably be a bit OCD about keeping the power reserve hand pointing at 12, mind :D

I don't find them smug at all; in fact, I'd consider them to be among the very few genuinely likeable companies in an industry that's 90% BS. There are a few manufacturers that I respect, but offhand I can't even think of another that I feel anything like affection toward.

Quote Originally Posted by Belligero View Post
    I don't find them smug at all; in fact, I'd consider them to be among the very few genuinely likeable companies in an industry that's 90% BS. There are a few manufacturers that I respect, but offhand I can't even think of another that I feel anything like affection toward.
    I feel the same way about Nomos the company - that's why I'm disappointed that I can't identify with any of their fine watches.

Master
    Gorgeous, just hope to see one in the flesh/metal one day.

I'm liking the new Lux too...

Personally I think the power reserve indicator is too big, it makes it top heavy which I'm not liking in this instance.

I'm not keen, and I like a lot of their watches.

The dial is too busy for my taste.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JNH View Post
    Personally I think the power reserve indicator is too big, it makes it top heavy which I'm not liking in this instance.
    ^^^this

I like a good power reserve on a watch, but this one is a bit overdone. I must say that, looking at their lineup, there are some real beauties amongst them. Like the new Ahoi a lot too!

Quote Originally Posted by forpetesake View Post
    I feel the same way about Nomos the company - that's why I'm disappointed that I can't identify with any of their fine watches.
    Style is a personal thing; that's perfectly understandable.

I don't currently own any, but the Club would by my top choice in its price range (I don't see it as a "starter watch" at all), and I think the Zurich Weltzeit is another appealing watch. I'd rate them among the likes of Rolex as being no-excuses manufacturers, which is remarkable considering how much smaller and younger Nomos is.

I'd love to see what they could produce in a chronograph, and I suspect that a lot of others would too.

Master
    The original Nomos aesthetic is still very, very good ...

And the improved engine's good to look at, too ...

Master
    Nomos ... as long as it's grey:

Fine looking watch the Lambda, however with a dial like that coupled with the case size that's gonna wear huge on the wrist.

Journeyman
    I really like the nomos style. Simple and minimal just does it for me. Although I think I would go for the metro at the moment just for that little dash to of colour.

Master
    my god, so ugly...