closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: 2 months later and my 19-year old Longines is back from a £180 service, very pleased!

2 months later and my 19-year old Longines is back from a £180 service, very pleased!

After buying a 1992 white dial Admiral diver with broad arrow minute hand (date only, as opposed to more usual day & date 2836 model) I had been on the lookout for the black & gold version in the same series. FINALLY in early August I tracked down the first one I'd ever seen for sale, with a bracelet to boot...... in Australia of all places. Watch looked in good condition in the photos and after it arrived just one week later it was indeed in the condition as advertised I did post up a couple of quick pics at the time along with it's white dial elder sibling however time keeping was awful but I expected it to be (as you always should with a 10+ years old automatic) so off it went on August 21st to Longines for a full service and today it's just come back after it's 8-week sojourn in hostiple

Like my white one, the 2-tone beauty is 38mm full size case, 44mm lug to lug, 11mm in height. 125g in weight and bracelet is 20mm that tapers down gently to 16mm with the lovely 'sliding' clasp design. No idea what the official term is! I think Omega used a similar clasp design?

In my opinion the Longines is quite similar to the Omega pre-Bond Seamaster 200m that pre-dates it.......? Anyway here's some pics I took this afternoon:

Finally I think this pic captures the true 2-tone colour that the other pics missed due to late October daylight......

This '95 luscious of Longines loveliness is a keeper

Cheers!
    Mark
    Last edited by CafeRacer; 22nd October 2014 at 21:30. Reason: updating with date of white Admiral

Lovely watch, well done.

Rarely do I see a gold accented stainless watch that I like - but I very much like that :)

I really like that, excellent :)

And much nicer than the Omega IMHO.

A

Damn your eyes!

I've just looked again at this thread, I've never got two tone watches until now,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,i hate this place,,,,,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Damn your eyes! I've just looked again at this thread, I've never got two tone watches until now,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,i hate this place,,,,,,,,
    Agreed! I am realising that a black dial with gold is starting to look better and better, a tool, dress watch possibly giving the best of both worlds, great find!

Blog Entries
    Great find indeed!

And what a fair price for the service, making ownership of an automatic a bit more easy on the wallet.

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Grand Master
    Nice one; I`m a fan of bicolour watches and this ticks the boxes for me. Nothing too loud and 'shouty' about it.

Longines watches like this are far better value than similar Omegas.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Daddelvirks View Post
    And what a fair price for the service, making ownership of an automatic a bit more easy on the wallet
    Indeed. My wife's auto Tissot has just returned from a full refurb by Tissot for 140 quid all in. Bargain I thought, fresh two-year warranty as well.

Considering that the Tissot, Longines and Omegas are serviced in the same place it makes you wonder why it's twice as much for an Omega :)

Journeyman
    Really nice watch that, different!

I'm not a fan of bi-coloured watches but that one looks pretty good.

Craftsman
    I have the white dialled version of this bi-metallic watch. I never liked bi-metallic watches until now and it works particularly well with the gold Longines badge on the dial.

Mine keeps very good time but I must get the bracelet and try to track down the right box. When I do ge the bracelet I have to choose all steel or bi-metallic and I am still undecided on that score.

Thanks everyone for the comments, the Longines 2-tone is rapidy becoming a favourite in my collection

@James, I personally think you need to get the the bi-metallic bracelet as it's just a hint of gold and sits very nicely alongside the gold bezel lettering and small gold crown. Plus the fact that was the original intention of Longines when they released the range

Cheers!
    Mark

Craftsman
    I think you're right about the bi-metallic bracelet. They are still available as well which makes a pleasant change

Master
    Lovely watch and as has been said the bimetal look works well with this particular watch. And I'd agree with others in saying far better value than equivalent Omegas and feel more weighty too.

I've often hankered after the Italian/German/Asian market version of this. The one with the day/date and different handset. It's a little less of a Rolex clone. More quirky

It came in a few variants, black dial, stainless, two tone with gold and 18k gold and sometimes with Caferacers handset.

Craftsman
    That's an interesting watch, looks like it predates the model I have rather than being contemporary with it. I prefer non day watches but I'd be more than happy to own a Longines one. Funds permitting I'd be happy to collect Longines diver watches but funds and availability might be difficult.

Great quality/price value though

I reckon that Wibbs's lovely Longines variant came out around the same time as the big-handed non-day version that James and myself have

I do know that my white dial non-day was 1992 and the subject of this thread was 1995. Any idea Wibbs on year of yours?

Cheers!
    Mark

Master
    Wow, that is one stunning piece! Thanks for the pics.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by CafeRacer View Post
    Any idea Wibbs on year of yours?
    Sadly Mark it's not mine and I don't have one yet *tears*. I did say yet... :D From what I recall they're an early 90's model, maybe even late 80's, but Italian ebay usually have a few new ones knocking around for around the 6-1000 quid mark, so remainder/NOS, or they stayed going in that market for longer? The caseback design is like yours, very 90's Longines. They do seem to be market specific namely Italian and German and I've seen them come up in Asian watch auctions. That said I have seen one with an english day wheel, but mostly they're in Italian/German.

Quote Originally Posted by Wibbs View Post
    I've often hankered after the Italian/German/Asian market version of this.
    Humble apologies Wibbs, in my excitement about all things 1990's and Longines that I mis-read your post I soooo like the word 'yet' in your post though Happy hunting mate, they are seriously worth tracking down!

Have a good weekend!
    Mark

Craftsman
    I cannot post a link but last night I did some browsing and was both impressed and stumped at the correct box for these watches.
    Not like the current Longines box at all the correct one for these is like a carved wooden barrel that comes in two halves, top and bottom, On the top is a large gold ring with Longines ***** Admiral engraved and a medallion in the centre.
    It's going to be a bugger finding one of those I might have to call Longines and see if the have one.

Let us know how you get on James, I'd like to go for one too.

Cheers!
    Mark

Master
    Keep an eye out on Italian ebay(ebay.it). I've seen those boxes come up before. They may not show on the EU or worldwide search, even though many of the sellers will sell outside Italy. If they don't an email explaining that you'll cover the post will usually sort that out.

That's a lovely watch.

Craftsman
    I looked on ebay Italy and there are two a black one from Cyprus and one like mine, white dial bi-metal, from a UK seller.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Authentic-Ne...item4d2094a241

Hope it was OK to post this.

Hi James, white 2-tone one from UK is advertised as woman's watch so I'm guessing around 30mm case.....?

Cheers!
    Mark

Craftsman
    thanks for pointing it out. I have the mans version but it looks exactly the same.