closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: New Breitling Cockpit B50

Journeyman

New Breitling Cockpit B50

Hi folks -has anyone had the pleasure of seeing the new Breitling Cockpit B50 in the flesh please? Your thoughts?

Thanks very

Master
    Not seen one in the flesh but here's a pic so others can get a look at what you're talking about 😉

Lugs don't look right, they're huge.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kace View Post
    Lugs don't look right, they're huge.
    They certainly give an overall rectangular look to the head...

Master
    Hi was in London yesterday and saw one. Didn't try it on and only looked at it in the display but it's a big old watch and way too big for quite a few wrists I suspect. Having said that it looks like it'll have wrist presence in buckets. The digital mix really doesn't work for me, personally I feel it cheapens the watch. I'm a big fan of Breitling but not this particular model I'm afraid

Blog Entries
    Very old quartz technology in yet an even bigger (uglier) case.

They could do better.

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Daddelvirks View Post
    Very old quartz technology in yet an even bigger (uglier) case.

They could do better.

Daddel.
    Different category I guess, but here's evidence that they do :D

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Insaneous1510 View Post

There was meant to be a picture of the Breitling Transocean Chronograph there - so much for my first ever post with picture :(

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Insaneous1510 View Post

- - - Updated - - -

There was meant to be a picture of the Breitling Transocean Chronograph there - so much for my first ever post with picture :(
    They developed their own in-house chronograph movement.

Now let them put some time and effort in developing an interesting and modern quartz module of sorts, and stop putting the same old module in loads of (new) cases.

Daddel.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by GIB984 View Post
    Not seen one in the flesh but here's a pic so others can get a look at what you're talking about 

Thank you

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by David r View Post
    Hi was in London yesterday and saw one. Didn't try it on and only looked at it in the display but it's a big old watch and way too big for quite a few wrists I suspect. Having said that it looks like it'll have wrist presence in buckets. The digital mix really doesn't work for me, personally I feel it cheapens the watch. I'm a big fan of Breitling but not this particular model I'm afraid
    Thanks David - I'm off to Salon QP in early Nov so will see if I can take a peek then. May I ask where about you saw it please? At the Breitling store on Bond Street? I also have reservations about the digital mix/Quartz elements of the watch but do want something a bit different. I thought I had read that it was a very new Quartz system but stand to be corrected.

Thanks for everyone's comments

Master
    I agree with others that the lugs look big, but I like the look of this one. I have no idea how new the technology is (if at all), but the movement is brand new, with much of it being made in house by Breitling. The other thing about this watch is that it uses a magnetic connector that attaches to the side of the case to charge it via USB or an AC adapter. I guess that indicates it must need charging quite often! I'd like to try one, but it's pricey for a quartz.

There's some information on the movement, along with a bit of speculation and anaysis here - http://www.ablogtowatch.com/breitlin...artz-movement/

Very old quartz technology
    Not sure about this, it should have the new in-house superquartz movement with USB rechargeable battery.

http://www.breitling.com/en/models/p...echnical-data/

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by petethegeek View Post
    There's some information on the movement, along with a bit of speculation and anaysis here - http://www.ablogtowatch.com/breitlin...artz-movement/
    Ha ha, I was just about to eat my own words, but I won't now.

What a load of nothing!, they are talking Bremontish about the movement.

An ETA movement with a few exclusive added parts and some technology Casio seems to have been using for years now, with the backlight and all that.

Daddel.

Master
    Several (well, two at least that I can recall) threads on this already, with helpful photos & discussion.

The search function should bring them up!

Grand Master
    Ha ha, I was just about to eat my own words, but I won't now.
    Oh come on, you'll never do that - it's a Breitling ;)
    An ETA movement with a few exclusive added parts and some technology Casio seems to have been using for years now, with the backlight and all that.
    The article appears to be speculation - "More correctly there are some parts produced in-house, and some that are sourced from specialized suppliers". I might have expected a bit more detail from the author who obviously knows more than he's letting on - like which parts, and whether those parts are essential like the hairpsrings and balances one must still buy from the Swiss cartel/monopoly in order to make your own in-house mechanical movement. Or whether those "parts" are just a couple of improved displays, and ETA still provides the chips and mechanicals. I guess we'll have to wait for someone to tear one of these "bad boys" down!

The watch sure isn't for me, FWIW. It looks like something you'd wear out on parole, because of its sheer size. I guess the charging function takes up room, but when I compare this to an earlier 40mm, 9mm-thin Aerospace...
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Quote Originally Posted by ach5 View Post
    Several (well, two at least that I can recall) threads on this already, with helpful photos & discussion.
    http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...hlight=cockpit

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...hlight=cockpit

Quote Originally Posted by andrew View Post
    ...It looks like something you'd wear out on parole...

Craftsman
    Whereabouts in London did you see the B50?

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by petethegeek View Post

Perhaps I'm being slighty unkind, as 46mm counts for "svelte" amongst today's fashionable men. But here's the slightly bigger/thicker Emergency, which looks less like a "watch" than a contraption with a watch dial stuck on top of it:

...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Perhaps I'm being slighty unkind, as 46mm counts for "svelte" amongst today's fashionable men. But here's the slightly bigger/thicker Emergency, which looks less like a "watch" than a contraption with a watch dial stuck on top of it:

Subtle!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lst65 View Post
    Thanks David - I'm off to Salon QP in early Nov so will see if I can take a peek then. May I ask where about you saw it please? At the Breitling store on Bond Street? I also have reservations about the digital mix/Quartz elements of the watch but do want something a bit different. I thought I had read that it was a very new Quartz system but stand to be corrected.

Thanks for everyone's comments
    Hi was in the Bond Street store taking my watch in for a service. You'd better be quick though as citing 'production issues' they're due to be returned shortly I believe. Those that return have already been earmarked

Save yourself a fortune and buy the blue B-1 on SC.

You'll also have a much better looking watch!

M.

Isn't it just a glorious beast of a watch! I went to Westfields Shepherds Bush on the weekend and there's a new Breitling boutique and they had two in the window, titanium and the black rubber version. Had to try it on. I personally loved it, but £12.5k is too rich. Will give it a few years and see how they fare on the 2nd hand market.

Quote Originally Posted by Fas View Post
    Isn't it just a glorious beast of a watch!
    I think we'll have to agree to disagree...

M

Journeyman
    Hi was in the Bond Street store taking my watch in for a service. You'd better be quick though as citing 'production issues' they're due to be returned shortly I believe. Those that return have already been earmarked
    Perfect - thank you. :-)

Handy as a knuckleduster.