closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Contact from sellers on SC?

Craftsman

Contact from sellers on SC?

Hi all bit of a winge, sorry!

It's been a while since I bought from SC but have recently made contact with sellers asking to have a chat with them about the watch they have for sale...with no reply

The items remain for sale. Do sellers really expect that buyers will part with several £1000s without speaking to the seller?

I have had this with eBay as the items mysteriously disappear from sale after asking to contact the seller. I don't mean to suggest anything untoward but if someone wanted to chat with me about a watch I had for sale if be happy to answer any questions.

Am I wrong to want to actually speak to the person before I furnish their bank with £1000s?
    Last edited by Willow986; 17th October 2014 at 22:10.

Craftsman
    Personally I'd never buy a watch without talking to the seller but any that would please see my thread from earlier. :)

Master
    Oh shut up!

You have a beef with a particular seller that ignored you (maybe because you lowballed him?) boo hoo!

Yes I personally believe that all messages (PM. /email / text) deserve a reply, but not everyone lives by this rule.

Take your personal gripes elsewhere.

The times I have spoken to people either as a buyer or seller I have found to be positive experiences

Im a firm believer in buying the seller as opposed to the watch - what better way then having a chat with them about what they are selling?

Banned
    Don't see any advantage to a conversation over a PM.

I won't give my number out willy nilly.

All that said, if someone doesn't like SC, don't use it.

Talking to the seller makes zero difference to me- I think I have done it once ever to arrange a f2f. I don't see how talking to them makes it easier to trust them

I bet Eddie just loves seeing thread titles that whinge about sc
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    'have a chat' what would this chat be about? without more specifics the thread is pointless.

did you make an offer? were you asking a question that was already answered on the SC thread?

personally, this only happened to me once for the purchase of a jacket, I asked for a pit to pit measurement and was ignored, and the item never sold.

I think sometimes people make an SC post drunk, then in the cold light of day, choose to ignore it and its enquiries.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ach5 View Post
    Oh shut up!

You have a beef with a particular seller that ignored you (maybe because you lowballed him?) boo hoo!

Yes I personally believe that all messages (PM. /email / text) deserve a reply, but not everyone lives by this rule.

Take your personal gripes elsewhere.
    No low ball in fact no offers made just wanted to know who I was sending my money to. I've always done this before and wanted to know if this isn't the protocol.

Your response is a bit harsh, you had a bad day??? :-)

Whats wrong with having a chat?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Willow986 View Post
    No low ball in fact no offers made just wanted to know who I was sending my money to. I've always done this before and wanted to know if this isn't the protocol.

No - your thread is clearly because you are aggrieved and want the seller to see this thread.

People whining about SC issues will eventually just p*ss off th site owner and cause it to be closed.

Plus it just seems a bit prissy

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    I bet Eddie just loves seeing thread titles that whinge about sc
    It's not aimed at SC just asking re the expectations of the sellers on there. There's loads of stuff that is In SC for a while and wonder if this is the reason?

The concept of SC and it's administration is excellent, I'm sorry if I have come across as knocking it

Grand Master
    The reason stuff stays on Sales corner so long as such low prices is that only the old and bold use it and its like the housing market, if no new buyers turn up it stagnates!

Comms are essential, have a chat, personally I like to make the effort to meet and have welcomed people into my home, if you are going to drop a few quid on a watch and enjoy it for a while then its a small price in time and effort.
    RIAC

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ach5 View Post
    No - your thread is clearly because you are aggrieved and want the seller to see this thread.

People whining about SC issues will eventually just p*ss off th site owner and cause it to be closed.

Plus it just seems a bit prissy
    I couldn't care less whether the sellers (not 1 seller) see it or not.

I'm not upset that you have labelled me a low baller without the facts. I asked a question to see if it was:

A) just me

B) common practice

C) something else

Was that so wrong of me?

It's not aimed at SC just asking re the expectations of the sellers on there.
    Then the title of this thread is inappropriate

I suppose it depends how you treat SC and the forum as a whole.

If it's just a trading tool, PMs and offers to and fro will suffice.

If you see the forum as a gathering of like minded individuals with a modicum of trust over and above that of Ebay and other sales medium maybe a chat would be nice.

To be honest, I see both points of view. My first purchase from here was from a young chap called W44YNE back in 2011. Luckily he was local to me. Since then, we have remained very good friends and probably see each other once a week at least for lunch/dinner/coffee/Costco trips /car purchases (you get the jist)!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Bootsy View Post
    Then the title of this thread is inappropriate
    Ok point taken on that in hindsight I admit that may have been a misjudged title

Master
    It's not aimed at SC just asking re the expectations of the sellers on there. There's loads of stuff that is In SC for a while and wonder if this is the reason?

The concept of SC and it's administration is excellent, I'm sorry if I have come across as knocking it
    If you asked for more information, which wasn't supplied in the sales ad, you should have gotten it. If the seller does not reply, he either does not want to sell to you or is busy/occupied... Move on and find something else.

Stuff on SC that's been there for a while? Either nobody is interested or the prices are too high.

Master
    I think it's polite to reply to messages (sometimes I take a while but always try to respond!)...

ach5 is being harsh. This is a forum:

1. A meeting or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged: we hope these pages act as a forum for debate

1.1 An Internet site where users can post comments about a particular issue or topic and reply to other users' postings; a message board

OP can have a 'whinge' (read: express his opinion) if he wants.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperC View Post
    If you asked for more information, which wasn't supplied in the sales ad, you should have gotten it. If the seller does not reply, he either does not want to sell to you or is busy/occupied... Move on and find something else.

Stuff on SC that's been there for a while? Either nobody is interested or the prices are too high.
    It's just me but I would like to get the info over the phone and decide whether I trust the transaction.

Buy the seller we say don't we ??

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kungfupanda View Post
    ....probably see each other once a week at least for lunch/dinner/coffee/Costco trips /car purchases (you get the jist)!
    Sounds like TZ-UK's first marriage could be on the cards.....should we all start looking at buying a new hat in expectation of the imminent announcement?

Master
    It's just me but I would like to get the info over the phone and decide whether I trust the transaction.

I never give out my phone number, have done over 500 good transactions like that. If you asked me my phone number, I would have thanked you respectfully and moved on to another buyer. I have, however, had some FaceTime before selling a watch ;).

Banned

I'm intrigued.

What do you get from a phone call, that you can't get from the ad/sellers history etc?

Quote Originally Posted by burnsey66 View Post
    I'm intrigued.

What do you get from a phone call, that you can't get from the ad/sellers history etc?
    Its easier to get a feel for what a person is like from direct communication rather than the anonymity of a PM in my opinion.

Craftsman
    I'm intrigued.

Ah now that might lead to the deduction of the actual seller which I would not do.

In general terms though asking about how long they had had the watch and where it came from, any marks, wear and bracelet stretch. Would they prefer a f2f if they are local? Etc etc

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post
    Its easier to get a feel for what a person is like from direct communication rather than the anonymity of a PM in my opinion.
    I wish I had said that !

Banned
    Ah now that might lead to the deduction of the actual seller which I would not do.

In general terms though asking about how long they had had the watch and where it came from, any marks, wear and bracelet stretch. Would they prefer a f2f if they are local? Etc etc
    Still, why can't those questions be answered by PM?

I've loads of members numbers, some I talk to/text daily, but those who want to talk when selling are (in my experience) complete and utter time wasters.

Craftsman
    Still, why can't those questions be answered by PM?

I've loads of members numbers, some I talk to/text daily, but those who want to talk when selling are (in my experience) complete and utter time wasters.
    Would you buy a car or anything else without speaking to the owner?

Banned
    Would you buy a car or anything else without speaking to the owner?
    Yes, if I was viewing said car on the internet. That's the point.

By talking to someone you get a feel for how honest they are being with their answers, tone of voice, speed of reply or hesitation its basic interview techniques I could see why you might wish to do that if your looking to spend several thousands of pounds with them and you don't know them.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackwibble View Post
    By talking to someone you get a feel for how honest they are being with their answers, tone of voice, speed of reply or hesitation its basic interview techniques I could see why you might wish to do that if your looking to spend several thousands of pounds with them and you don't know them.
    This is a community forum. Interviewing your seller. Come on, you're all getting a bit creepy now

Craftsman
    Yes, if I was viewing said car on the internet. That's the point.
    I guess I don't believe that I am that lucky or brave enough to transfer what is a lot of money to me without speaking to a real person. Sorry if that seems weird or controversial but to me it's good practice...

I can just imagine a police officer saying " so let me get this right, you transferred £4000+ to a complete stranger without speaking to them?"

Might never happen but...

Banned
    I guess I don't believe that I am that lucky or brave enough to transfer what is a lot of money to me without speaking to a real person. Sorry if that seems weird or controversial but to me it's good practice...

I can just imagine a police officer saying " so let me get this right, you transferred £4000+ to a complete stranger without speaking to them?"

Might never happen but...
    A police officer.

FFS.

SC is not for you OP.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackwibble View Post
    It wouldn't shock you to know I work in HR and recruitment then!!

Maybe that's it!

Craftsman
    A police officer.

FFS.

SC is not for you OP.
    Perhaps not

1. bit harsh, fellas.
    2. Burnsey....you don't text me!?!

Totally depends on the individual, and if chatting things over is your style well that'll only work if the other person feels the same. For me I think all my buys and sells through sc that were a grand upwards have included a chat and/or a f2f.

I've decided I'm not going to actually speak to anybody anymore.

Going to start this evening with the missus

I don't think this is a whinge about SC so much as a whinge about (some) people's conduct on SC, from the OP's perspective. The counterpoint to this is that there are a lot of scammers and time wasters out there (not necessarily on this forum - typically it's much safer than t'internet in general) so I can also see why sellers might be concerned about entering into such discussions and giving away personal details.

It's been said above, for a high ticket item buy the seller before you buy the item. If they don't reply, don't buy. Simples.

Master
    Surprised nobody has mentioned H&V. I've found that, plus a couple PMs have been more than adequate for my 6/7 transactions so far. No H&V and I'd be much more careful.
    Last edited by Schofie; 17th October 2014 at 19:53. Reason: typo (I hate them)

Banned
    It wouldn't shock you to know I work in HR and recruitment then!!

Maybe that's it!

Well I'm shocked, as I had you down as someone who wouldn't leave the house.

I'd expect at least a couple of selfies.

Quote Originally Posted by Schofie View Post
    Surprised nobody has mentioned H&V. I've found that, plus a couple PMs have been more than adequate for my 6/7 transactions so far. No H&V and I'd be much more careful.
    ^this. A conversation wouldn't be worth anything without several references

Quote Originally Posted by soundood View Post
    I think sometimes people make an SC post drunk, then in the cold light of day, choose to ignore it and its enquiries.
    When of course the right thing to do is sober up, put OHPF on the ad, wait a day or so and then mark it SOLD and put up a "glad to see it's gone to a good home,thanks for all the interest, glad the spirit of the SC is still alive" post.

Shove the watch in a drawer for a couple of months, then put an add in wanted with "I miss it so much I must get another soon" or similar.

Then put up the "Incoming" post followed a couple of days later by obligatory wrist shots of the watch you've just got out of the drawer.

If anyone asks or points out that it's the same, show them a mark that you'd not mentioned or point to an undamaged part and say "No, that one had a chunk out of the case here, but luckily this one's much nicer"

Job done

Quote Originally Posted by Schofie View Post
    Good point and somewhere I would check, probably the vast majority of forum folk know each other or are aware of them and their standing in the TZ Community so there would appear to be very few dodgy dealers on SC.
    All credit to the community I say and long may it continue, once I have sufficient posts I wouldn't hesitate to trade on SC much more so than E Bay.

Quote Originally Posted by Bootsy View Post
    I've decided I'm not going to actually speak to anybody anymore.

Going to start this evening with the missus
    I think that you have something there

I will suggest to her indoors that we communicate mainly via PM's in future. After all these should convey everything that we need to without the need for tiresome vocal interaction

If however I was seeking to arrange cocktails with a pre-op transexual then I would like to gauge how demure they were from the tone of their voice. I wouldnt like a repeat of that dreadful evening with the 6'2" bricklayer from Dartford
    Last edited by Velorum; 17th October 2014 at 20:12.

Don't you think your thread title is a bit overly provocative?

Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post
    If however I was seeking to arrange cocktails with a pre-op transexual then I would like to gauge how demure they were from the tone of their voice. I wouldnt like a repeat of that dreadful evening with the 6'2" bricklayer from Dartford
    Ah yes, you've met Dave(ina) too I see

Craftsman

What's happened to SC?

Quote Originally Posted by pacifichrono View Post
    Don't you think your thread title is a bit overly provocative?
    I've already stated that I regret the title but it was meant as an observation compared to the 4/5 times I've used it before
    Last edited by Willow986; 17th October 2014 at 20:19.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    When of course the right thing to do is sober up, put OHPF on the ad, wait a day or so and then mark it SOLD and put up a "glad to see it's gone to a good home,thanks for all the interest, glad the spirit of the SC is still alive" post.

Shove the watch in a drawer for a couple of months, then put an add in wanted with "I miss it so much I must get another soon" or similar.

Then put up the "Incoming" post followed a couple of days later by obligatory wrist shots of the watch you've just got out of the drawer.

If anyone asks or points out that it's the same, show them a mark that you'd not mentioned or point to an undamaged part and say "No, that one had a chunk out of the case here, but luckily this one's much nicer"

Job done
    LOL 😋!