closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just ordered my first Grand Seiko

Master

Just ordered my first Grand Seiko

Having been looking at them for a while I've just pulled the trigger on a Grand Seiko. My modest watch collection is very biased towards divers so to mix things up and have a watch more suited to my day job in an office I have just ordered an SBGX061.

Can't wait for it to arrive now!

Blog Entries
    Great choice!

Let's have some pics when the beauty arrives.

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Craftsman
    Lovely.congrats. Who did you order from?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeeb1 View Post
    Lovely.congrats. Who did you order from?
    I decided to play the Creation Watches gamble. With their current reduced prices plus the additional 5% discount code (SALE5) it was too tempting not to.

Even if I do get caught with the full duty it's still a decent price. Just hoping it doesn't get held at customs like some others have experienced.

Master
    Great watch and I absolutely love mine , you won't regret it I'm sure. I had high expectations and it exceeded them. I would say also that the accuracy claims are very conservative as mine is +1 second since the start of June.

Cheers
    Neil

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Congratulations.

Yep, great choice a very nice looking and well made watch. Gratz.
    Look forward to your pics when it arrives, and hope it comes quickly without delays for you.

Master
    Thanks all.

I purchased a MM300 from a fellow forum member a couple of months ago and have been blown away by the quality of that. If it is anything like that I am sure I will not be disappointed.

Craftsman
    This looks cracking - very like the SBGV007. Was it just the law of diminishing returns that made you choose the SBGX061 rather than the SBGV007? Congratulations. Really looking forward to seeing the photos.

Master
    SBGV is a different case (based on the original 60's 44GS design) and also 41mm compared to the SBGX's 38mm.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jeepie View Post
    Was it just the law of diminishing returns that made you choose the SBGX061 rather than the SBGV007?
    Availability, price and size were the main deciding factors! :)

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Binsull View Post
    Thanks all.

I purchased a MM300 from a fellow forum member a couple of months ago and have been blown away by the quality of that. If it is anything like that I am sure I will not be disappointed.
    GS in all aspects is a level up so you will not be disappointed with the quality.

Journeyman
    If i had the funds it would be in the top three.

- - - Updated - - -

If i had the funds it would be in the top three.

I'd love one of these. Sadly beyond my reach at the moment.

Between this and the SBGV007, I'd probably choose the latter as it's a better size for me, but I actually prefer the case shape of the SBGX061, with that brushed top surface, and the thin polished shoulder. Subtle, with very attractive angles, and crisp lines.

It does annoy me slightly that the 9F movements, among the most accurate quartz wristwatch movements in the world, don't have a perpetual calendar function, when seikos cheaper HAQ movements do.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Huertecilla View Post
    GS in all aspects is a level up so you will not be disappointed with the quality.
    This is what I'm banking on! :)

Grand Master
    Love mine.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by seikokiller View Post

It does annoy me slightly that the 9F movements, among the most accurate quartz wristwatch movements in the world, don't have a perpetual calendar function, when seikos cheaper HAQ movements do.
    Get one without a date

Master
    On my WTB list.

Get one without a date
    But then how would I know what the date is...

You could write it down on a piece of paper.

Grand Master
    Ask someone that has a date on their watch ;-).

Mine is the best watch I've had.....possibly.

Master
    I'd love one of these. Sadly beyond my reach at the moment.

Between this and the SBGV007, I'd probably choose the latter as it's a better size for me, but I actually prefer the case shape of the SBGX061, with that brushed top surface, and the thin polished shoulder. Subtle, with very attractive angles, and crisp lines.

I agree about the perpetual calender and that's why The Citizen Chronomaster always seems a better buy, if you like the look and finish.

Banned
    Having been looking at them for a while I've just pulled the trigger on a Grand Seiko. My modest watch collection is very biased towards divers so to mix things up and have a watch more suited to my day job in an office I have just ordered an SBGX061.

You, Sir have just purchased the world's best watch. Congratulations and a nod from my SBGX065. Enjoy in the best of health.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GrandS View Post
    You, Sir have just purchased the world's best watch.
    Ooooofff.
    I have three 9F engined ones and three 36000 bph racers, one 2 minutes/month guaranteed and I weely weely like um but 'world's best'?? I would not write that even to bait the howdydoodees.
    That subject is wrought with subjective traps and the crucial objective criterium is accuracy, isochrony, of which the commercially available champ is the ubercool* Omega Marine Chronometer.
    Of the wiggly springs the GS61 vfa is the champ although one can argue that the GS and GP share that crown with their astronomical chronometers.

* I would LOVE to own and wear one but it is beyond what I spend on a watch so my only hope is an affluent lover buying me one as a present. Like they would know. Not even most wis do :-(

Blog Entries
    A great watch indeed. The finish is amazing. Just look at the reflection on the glass ring in this photo I took.

Master
    I have a bit of a dilemma now guys. Creation Watches contacted me to say there would be a two week wait for the watch which I don't have a problem with (they also offered to refund me if this was a problem).

I have however now also been looking at the SBGR051 and am very tempted to change my order to this! The silver dial looks gorgeous! Obviously this is an automatic so a different kettle of fish (plus a little bit more expensive) but what are your views on this compared to the SBGX061? Your comments about the SBGX061 have all been very positive. Does the SBGR051 trigger the same response?

I have a bit of a dilemma now guys. Creation Watches contacted me to say there would be a two week wait for the watch which I don't have a problem with (they also offered to refund me if this was a problem).

I have however now also been looking at the SBGR051 and am very tempted to change my order to this! The silver dial looks gorgeous! Obviously this is an automatic so a different kettle of fish (plus a little bit more expensive) but what are your views on this compared to the SBGX061? Your comments about the SBGX061 have all been very positive. Does the SBGR051 trigger the same response?
    If going Automatic I prefer this:

The SBGR061 as it has a gorgeous cream dial.
    (Or the GMT version which is what I have)
    But at the end of the day they are all lovely and it's really down to what dial colour and size you prefer.

Go for the SBGR051.. It's gorgeous.

Banned

Pros and cons, auto vs quartz, at least as far as I am concerned.

Auto:

Pros: Romantic old technology, made with TLC and the movement looks nice through a loupe.

Cons: Price.
    Needs expensive service from time to time.
    The case is usually a bit on the thick side.
    If you only use your watch at the office it will stop during weekends and require re adjusting.

Quartz:
    Cons: Not as romantic as an automatic.
    Pros: Minimal maintenance, the 9F movement is sealed and should remain well lubricated for 50 years with no intervention.
    Reasonable price
    Very accurate.
    You can give it a rest for a few days and it will be running accurately when you put it on.

I would recommend sticking with quartz. You won't be sorry.
    Last edited by GrandS; 18th October 2014 at 19:19.

Banned
    I have a bit of a dilemma now guys. Creation Watches contacted me to say there would be a two week wait for the watch which I don't have a problem with (they also offered to refund me if this was a problem)
    It's an omen.

Go go an buy a proper watch

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Thorien View Post

But at the end of the day they are all lovely and it's really down to what dial colour and size you prefer.
    Agree, beautiful with the cream dial, blue second hand and framed date window. Classic look but still standing out.

Given it's for work and you had already decided on quartz, I wouldn't be swayed.
    Given you already have presumably black dialled divers and you work in an office, you might consider a silver dialled model - GS do nice silver and champagne dials.
    I have a SBGX061 and sometimes think its a little sterile/safe, so keep it on a strap. Another alternative would be the blue SBGX065, but this might be considered risky given your decision is based on pixels on a screen.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Watchdude View Post
    Agree, beautiful with the cream dial, blue second hand and framed date window. Classic look but still standing out.
    That is lovely but am I right in thinking it only comes on a leather strap?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by burnsey66 View Post
    It's an omen.

Go go an buy a proper watch
    By proper do you mean one that isn't quartz?!

Banned
    By proper do you mean one that isn't quartz?!
    No, I'm only kidding. Enjoy it when it lands. Let's face it, with GS residuals, you'll be keeping it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GrandS View Post
    Pros and cons, auto vs quartz, at least as far as I am concerned.

Auto:

Pros: Romantic old technology, made with TLC and the movement looks nice through a loupe.

Cons: Price.
    Needs expensive service from time to time.
    The case is usually a bit on the thick side.
    If you only use your watch at the office it will stop during weekends and require re adjusting.

Quartz:
    Cons: Not as romantic as an automatic.
    Pros: Minimal maintenance, the 9F movement is sealed and should remain well lubricated for 50 years with no intervention.
    Reasonable price
    Very accurate.
    You can give it a rest for a few days and it will be running accurately when you put it on.

I would recommend sticking with quartz. You won't be sorry.
    Thanks for this, very useful.

I actually saw the thicker case in this instance as a pro! I don't like my watches to be overly slim so like the extra ' meat ' on the auto.

Master
    Absolutely.

They're lovely things. I have two GSes and am hugely fond of them both.

Here's the SBGX083:

The '83 is slightly different from yours:

There's more brushing on the 83, a glossy dial and the red tip to the second hand.

And t'other one:

One thing's for sure, you won't be spending a lot of time setting it or correcting the time!

The 9F is a beautiful movement too, both its appearance and its mechanical capability.

Hope you enjoy it!

Blog Entries

I only have one advice, and that is to buy from an authorized dealer. I have read some negative things about how creation handles warranty issues.

Master
    All GS have a two year international warranty - the local Seiko distributor can take up any warranty claims on provision of the original receipt/filled in card.

Master
    It's too late anyway - the order is in with Creation.

Went with the SBGR051 in the end. All my current watches have black dials and so that gorgeous silver dial called out to me too much :)

Master
    It's too late anyway - the order is in with Creation.

Went with the SBGR051 in the end. All my current watches have black dials and so that gorgeous silver dial called out to me too much :)
    Great choice and it's been on my grail list for years.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
    All GS have a two year international warranty - the local Seiko distributor can take up any warranty claims on provision of the original receipt/filled in card.
    But Creation is NOT an official AD, so the warranty is not valid and is dependent of the good will from Creation.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Thorien View Post

Me too! That is a great dress watch.

Journeyman
    +1 on the warranty issues.
    I would really not recommend buying a high value watch from a grey dealer as service costs can skyrocket with these pieces!

Quote Originally Posted by Barnefko View Post
    I would really not recommend buying a high value watch from a grey dealer as service costs can skyrocket with these pieces!
    Quite a challenge if you are in the UK though - only a handful of dealers and those have a very limited range.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Barnefko View Post
    Surely many grey dealers include AD-stamped papers anyway so it's not a big deal in practice, as long as one buys from such a grey dealer. In other words, you can buy from a grey dealer and have complete manufacturer's warranty.
    Last edited by markrlondon; 22nd October 2014 at 14:09.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    Surely many grey dealers include AD-stamped papers anyway so it's not a big deal in practice, as long as one buys from such a grey dealer. In other words, you can buy from a grey dealer and have complete manufacturer's warranty.
    That is how they usually do, yes. Creation however do not sell on behalf of an authorized dealer. The warranty card will not be stamped by an AD if you buy from Creation.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by yonsson View Post
    The warranty card will not be stamped by an AD if you buy from Creation.
    Have you bought a GS from Creation and was this the case?

(There is of course no way for Creation to source GSs if it's not from an AD, whether or not the warranty card is stamped.)

Quote Originally Posted by klockodile View Post
    Me too! That is a great dress watch.
    That's gorgeous👍👍

Master

On the subject of warranty.....

Is CreationWatches.com an Authorized dealer?
    We are not authorised dealers for the brands we carry, because we want to offer you lower prices.
    Manufacturers do not allow dealers to offer both manufacturer warranty and low prices, so all dealers must choose only one or the other. And so you too have the decision to make about which is more important to you.
    To help you choose us, in addition to low prices and great selection, we cover every watch we sell with our own 2-year warranty. Just like the manufacturer, it covers all manufacturing defects and associated costs except the one-way shipping from you to us. And to minimise the chance that you will ever need it in the first place, we inspect each watch before it leaves our warehouse.
    Lastly, we have a long history of satisfying customers with 100% brand new, complete, authentic watches, attentive customer service, and fast shipping.
    We believe that the benefits we offer make us the best choice to satisfy your watch needs. We hope you agree, and we look forward to serving you.
    In the case of Grand Seiko, check what's included in the box – if the booklet says International Warranty on the front, then you can happily hand it over to Seiko UK to organise fixing themselves or being sent back to Japan, if they can't.
    If there's no warranty booklet, then as per the quoted FAQ, you'll have to bear the cost of returning it to them, for Creation to organise its repair.

That all said, I don't many of us will be overly concerned, since Seiko are typically viewed as the least likely to give any bother.