closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: The difference a strap can make

The difference a strap can make

J W Benson with a Smiths movement circa 1952.

Playing around with straps - lighter to match the golden lume of the numerals and hands or darker and smarter with contrast stitching?

Here's the first one:

And here's the second one.

I like the tan strap for the way it brings out the similar hue on the dial, really makes that golden lume glow.

BUT overall I prefer the smarter, darker, one as it dresses the watch up a bit.

Good little exercise in the difference a strap can make. In terms of visible surface area the strap/bracelet is very large relative to the watch; a lot more significant than, say, a pair of shoes or even a tie are to a suit. Even more so to the wearer, who is more likely to see the top edge or back (inside) of the wrist and will therefore often see the strap/bracelet as much as or more than the watch itself.

I think what you have there is a nice seasonal variation. Darker strap for autumn and winter and onto the tan for summer.

Lovely J W Benson! Both straps go very well with it, but imho the second one really elevates the combination to a new level. I agree with your observations regarding the importance of finding the right strap for a given piece. For me, it can "make it or break it".

I thoroughly enjoy experimenting with different combinations as straps can drastically change the character of a watch. Sometimes a strap change is almost like getting a new watch.

Here's an example from my humble collection. When I first got my Seiko SARB031 it came on a Hirsch Duke:

The contrast of the black together with the croc pattern made it look very formal but also rather cold.

Since I rarely need to dress up these days, I decided to go with something more casual and got a custom made mocha brown strap:

This brings out the warmth in the dial color, and overall the SARB031 looks and feels more casual, robust and "vintage".
    Last edited by dschaen81; 17th October 2014 at 09:14.

^^^^ I like that!

(Other forum users please note I refrained from quoting the post verbatim and thus duplicating the pics -- a pet hate of mine! I digress.)

Here's some more that show the straps better. The lighter one really makes the golden lume "pop", and the contrast stitching on the darker one makes it look every inch as posh as it is (or was)

Apprentice
    It's amazing how a new/different strap can almost make a whole new watch, suitable for different occasions or outfits or even people.

I really like the tan strap in the first post.

Lovely watch, so simple and elegant. Tan one for me.

You have some interesting pieces.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Rev-O View Post
    ^^^^ I like that!

(Other forum users please note I refrained from quoting the post verbatim and thus duplicating the pics -- a pet hate of mine! I digress.)

Here's some more that show the straps better. The lighter one really makes the golden lume "pop", and the contrast stitching on the darker one makes it look every inch as posh as it is (or was)

Tan all the way, as you say really makes the dial "pop" - I find the patina on vintage watches tends to suit tan straps quite well