closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Nomos for my 40th

Craftsman

Nomos for my 40th

I am looking for a nice watch to treat myself for my upcoming 40th.
    I am leaning heavily towards Nomos, currently undecided between aTangomat or an Orion.
    The movement of the Tangomat alone would be worth it but the Orion with its clean minimalistic look has certainly something going for it as well. Although sometimes it looks a bit to vintage to me.

Shame I can't find anything with the design of my cheap 1980s Braun watch in an quality package. (The current models come close)
    The design is Bauhaus as well and with the colors quite refreshing. (I was surprised to read about the influential design from Mr Rahms, who designed for Braun from 1960-1980s and had a big influence on Apple among others)

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/11/su9e6u2e.jpg

I love the Orion but it, like most of the Nomos range, are very dressy IMO so it depends if you want an all rounder or not. The Tangomat, with it's thicker case, is less dressy so that might be a better option if you want a piece with more versatility. The 'Club' is the least dressy of the range IMO. Obviously try them all on and take it from there!

Craftsman
    What's your budget range for this purchase? Some of Nomos's recent releases are amazing but on the higher end of their pricing

(I myself own a Ludwig and love it for a smart/inconspicuous work watch)

B

Craftsman
    My range is up to a Tangomat, saw them for 1400 new from dealers on chrono24.
    I had a Tangente before (gift to my wife but ended up on my wrist :) ) and did not bond 100% but that might have been the size.
    Funny enough the Orion Weiss I had was perfect size wise but I found the white hands to bland.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Bender View Post
    My range is up to a Tangomat, saw them for 1400 new from dealers on chrono24.
    I had a Tangente before (gift to my wife but ended up on my wrist :) ) and did not bond 100% but that might have been the size.
    Funny enough the Orion Weiss I had was perfect size wise but I found the white hands to bland.
    I agree with the blandness of the Orion - I think that particular design almost takes the minimalistic look a little too far

I was going to suggest the Metro (which is my favourite Nomos, that mint green accent just does it for me), there's currently one going on C24 for just under 2k if you can stretch your budget a little :P

B

You're 40 - get the Orion :)

Craftsman

Nomos for my 40th

Quote Originally Posted by daveyw View Post
    You're 40 - get the Orion :)
    I hope i am not getting to old to pull of a Metro :)

I must say the Metro is slowly growing on me. And unlike the more classic models which don't work for me with date here it fits in nicely.

Still leaning slightly towards a Tangomat with Orion as close second.

Quote Originally Posted by Bender View Post
    I hope i am not getting to old to pull of a Metro :)
    Christ I should hope not! Unless you've really let yourself go.

40 is the new 30 (I'll be there on Saturday too!!).

Craftsman
    Trolling through the Nomos website, I rather like the Ahoi to. Fresh looking version of the Tangomat, but the crown guards are to much for me, on what is still a minimalistic watch . Otherwise it could be a contender as well.

Craftsman
    i'm a fan of the Ahoi - good all-rounder with 200m WR

Journeyman
    I'm a if fan of the metro too. It strikes a great balance between being just special enough whilst also being an everyday watch.

They feel a bit steep at the moment though while demand remains so high. I'm sure the prices will come down as availability increases.

Journeyman
    I'm very keen on the Ahoi myself. Slightly larger dial, perfect for daily use with automatic and date window. I love the crown guards btw.

Also, I have a suspicion Nomos is busy upgrading their calibers to the new Swing System. Talked myself into holding off until after Basel next year before pulling the trigger.

I am very fond of my Stowa Antea (Nomos Tangente lookalike) - but I vote Metro as well

I really like NOMOS watches and if I ever thought I'd wear it, then I'd probably buy the Orion, I think the minimalistic look if very classy, love it.

I've been tempted to buy one in the past even knowing I'd not wear it much, very nice look IMO.

Master
    >Shame I can't find anything with the design of my cheap 1980s Braun watch in an quality package<

Junghans Max Bill?

I really like the Nomos Orion 38. Does anyone own one?

Also can a discount be easily achieved through a Nomos AD?
    Last edited by Mr Tetley; 20th October 2014 at 13:58.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Tetley View Post
    I really like the Nomos Orion 38. Does anyone own one?

Also can a discount be achieved through a Nomos AD?
    I like them too, but haven't yet bought. There seem to be some good prices on Chrono24 from EU ADs, but there aren't that many stockists in the UK - the more dealers the easier it is to get a good price I'd imagine.

Ant

Craftsman

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by hsukirk View Post
    Shouldn't be too difficult. Still a few dealers in the UK although not as pop as Europe.

Member quick reviewed here.
    and now you can have it in, err, a greyish hue:

http://www.hodinkee.com/blog/nomos-orion-1989

.. still think that 35mm is a decent size, and the orion wears enormous for all of its 35mm... the bezel on that is very, very thin.. so for folks that haven't tried it,
    worth finding someone that stocks it.
    I've got the 35mm Ludwig, and that's a cracking (flat) watch - the dial doesn't seem quite so enormous as there's the numerals going on; but a lot seem to dislike
    roman numerals ..

OP- Get yourself down to Wempe in London. they have all the models there to try on or alternatively WoS now stock them so the Regent Street super-shop should have them all in to try.

Me personally, I'm still favouring the Orion but the Ahoi looks supercool in the flesh

Master
    Ahoi Atlantik - fantastic as a daily wearer and dresses up quite well with a strap change:

Nomos Weltzeit - my default travel watch, take a couple of straps at it works for most occasions bar swimming.

I do fancy an Orion for completeness though :)

[IMG][/IMG]

How about a Tetra?

I got mine for my 40-ish B/day

Blog Entries
    I went for the club... Easily the most flexible watch in my collection... It's a biggun @ 41.5mm

Dressy and casual... May try a new strap on it at some point

I think it's rather wonderful...

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Coot View Post
    Ahoi Atlantik - fantastic as a daily wearer and dresses up quite well with a strap change:

Nomos Weltzeit - my default travel watch, take a couple of straps at it works for most occasions bar swimming.

The Ahoi Atlantik is stunning.

Quote Originally Posted by frp422 View Post
    I like them too, but haven't yet bought. There seem to be some good prices on Chrono24 from EU ADs, but there aren't that many stockists in the UK - the more dealers the easier it is to get a good price I'd imagine.

Ant
    Quote Originally Posted by hsukirk View Post
    Shouldn't be too difficult. Still a few dealers in the UK although not as pop as Europe.

Member quick reviewed here.
    Thanks for that. I see that an Orion 38 sold in SC in March. If the new owner wants to pass it on please drop me a PM. :-)
    Last edited by Mr Tetley; 20th October 2014 at 23:24.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by alslater View Post
    and now you can have it in, err, a greyish hue:

http://www.hodinkee.com/blog/nomos-orion-1989

.. still think that 35mm is a decent size, and the orion wears enormous for all of its 35mm... the bezel on that is very, very thin.. so for folks that haven't tried it,
    worth finding someone that stocks it.
    I've got the 35mm Ludwig, and that's a cracking (flat) watch - the dial doesn't seem quite so enormous as there's the numerals going on; but a lot seem to dislike
    roman numerals ..
    Stolen from WUS to illustrate the point on size. IMHO the watch pictured looks quite big.

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f8/quic...e-1137250.html

Craftsman
    I do think the Ahoi is lovely, particularly the Atlantik. I have a Tangente (38mm Datum) which is one of my absolute favourites. I got around 13% discount at an AD.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Coot View Post

The blue dial on that Ahoi is so gorgeous...

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    I went for the club... Easily the most flexible watch in my collection... It's a biggun @ 41.5mm

Dressy and casual... May try a new strap on it at some point

I think it's rather wonderful...

I've recently been wearing my Ludwig on a series of brightly coloured Perlon straps (as is currently all the rage in the Instagram watch world) - they really suit the Nomos aesthetic I find, anyone else a fan of Perlon?

Craftsman
    Hope i manage to get into London over the next weeks. I was looking at Nomos for a few years now and always thought the orion is the simplest and most beautiful one.
    But now considering that I want to have the watch as a daily wearer both in the office and at home, the Ahoi Atlantic and metro look quite appealing.
    Just not sure if they unique look would wear of soon.

Master
    I'm not that familiar with Nomos but this caught my eye on a Facebook thread this morning and I thought it was gorgeous.

Master
    Have another Atlantik pic, blue Perlon just arrived in the post...

The blue isnt that blue normally, the bright sunlight is pulling it up a bit.