closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Land Rover Discovery Sport

Land Rover Discovery Sport

I attended a dealer launch of the new Discovery sport today down at the Haynes Motor Museum in Sparkford- have to say all in all pretty impressed. My first thoughts were that it seemed very long but we concluded that was because at first glance it does look similar to the Evoque.

I can see flashes of the outgoing Freelander, the Evoque and the Range Rover Sport in this model. It comes equipped with a bonnet airbag for pedestrians which can apparently distinguish between humans and posts etc in the event of an accident, anyway some pics......

I do have a few more but since downloading iOS 8 photobucket seems to keep on jamming up every time I select a different picture.

FFF
    Last edited by Franky Four Fingers; 9th October 2014 at 20:08.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Saw one with trade plates on the M40 today, looked nice but way out of my league.

Quote Originally Posted by phil h View Post
    Saw one with trade plates on the M40 today, looked nice but way out of my league.
    You'll always see quite a few new Land Rovers shooting up and down there especially around Gaydon.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Looks nice enough most LR's do to me, but just another expensive machine that will haemoragge its value over time and become worth diddly squat.

I don't buy new anymore, i prefer looking for ex-demos and the like which reduces losses significantly. That said my 12 years old current machine still only has 74k on the odometer and drives like a dream, so will probably be with me a while longer yet.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Looks stunning. Did you get a chance to have a look at the rear seats?
    I'm contemplating chopping in my Disco 3 and XC90 for one but I need workable rearmost seats.
    The Disco is a great car but the rear seats are a ball ache to get in and out of.
    The Volvo has a great interior layout. All 7 seats easy to use but is absolute pap to drive so I'm kind of hoping this will be a nice compromise.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by phil h View Post
    I thought these weren't due until next year?
    Any idea on a release date?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave O'Sullivan View Post
    Looks stunning. Did you get a chance to have a look at the rear seats?
    I'm contemplating chopping in my Disco 3 and XC90 for one but I need workable rearmost seats.
    The Disco is a great car but the rear seats are a ball ache to get in and out of.
    The Volvo has a great interior layout. All 7 seats easy to use but is absolute pap to drive so I'm kind of hoping this will be a nice compromise.
    Yeh I did. The 2nd row is adjustable which makes the 7 seats actually quite useable in my opinion. We had 7 adults crammed in it, me in the front at 6:3 with ok leg room, person behind around 5:7 and adult in the boot who was a little cramped. It would be very comfortable for children and smaller adults.

Edit...I should of added though that access isn't easy, about the same as a D3 or 4, you certainly wouldn't do it gracefully!!
    Last edited by Franky Four Fingers; 9th October 2014 at 20:08.

I think we see them around Xmas with release around Feb or March. If it's anything like the new Range Rover release date then I wouldn't expect too much tbh

Master
    Blog Entries
    Thanks. I'm looking forward to having a look at one.

Thanks. I'm looking forward to having a look at one.
    I do have a few more pics which I can email you if you want, PM me if interested. Photobucket is buggered at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by shadowman View Post
    Looks nice enough most LR's do to me, but just another expensive machine that will haemoragge its value over time and become worth diddly squat.

I don't buy new anymore, i prefer looking for ex-demos and the like which reduces losses significantly. That said my 12 years old current machine still only has 74k on the odometer and drives like a dream, so will probably be with me a while longer yet.
    I'm not in sales so I can't really comment however, I do know that the Evoque and new Range Rover are holding money very well. There's very little difference between a 3-6 month old RR than a new one currently, don't ask me to quote numbers just going on what the sales boys are telling me.

Master
    I like it but that interior looks disappointingly bland - no doubt high quality though.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    You'll always see quite a few new Land Rovers shooting up and down there especially around Gaydon.
    I know, I used to live in Harbury. Brother-In-Law works for JLR, he turned up in an F-Type last year so will probably get his grubby mitts on a Discovery at some point.

Really not wanting to muck up the thread, but in all honesty IMPO getting excited over a car that exceeds the needs of most people in the UK by so much, is just pointless

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Really not wanting to muck up the thread, but in all honesty IMPO getting excited over a car that exceeds the needs of most people in the UK by so much, is just pointless
    Oh the irony. On a watch forum....

Couldn't you say that about absolutely everything and anything on sale in the UK?
    Lets all move to North Korea.

Interested to know why it exceeds the needs?

If you don't want 4x4 then a 2wd version is available, it's then really no different to many large estate cars.

Craftsman
    They are out and about in the wild, possibly testing?

I saw two on the M6 late at night a couple of weeks ago doing what can only be described as racing!

I was doing close to 100 and they shot past me over and undertaking each other before they broke hard and shot into Sandbach services.

Do you own a watch that cost more than a fiver by any chance? Any excitement there at all?

Pointless.

Op
    Is that corris grey ?
    Cheers
    A guy I know pulled up outside my shop yest in a new rr the hybrid one
    Sez it's over £100k don't think there out yet

Master
    Blog Entries
    A valid point but for me, the car is very relevant. I have three children and god willing we'll have another in the near future. That means a seven seater. I don't like people carriers so I'm looking at 4X4's. I like cars that drive well at speed and my Disco 3 does just that. I also like cars with an easy to use layout for 7 seats which my XC90 does. I'm interested in the Discovery Sport because I'm hoping it will combine both attributes.

That said, if I had no kids and just wanted one, so what?
    I'm not a diver but own a Sea Dweller
    I'm not a pilot but own a Navitimer
    I'm not an estate agent but own a Tag Heuer.

Sometimes people buy things because they like them ;)

Guys,
    As I said I wasn't aiming to spoil the thread, just giving an opinion.

Have a good weekend all.

So where does this sit price and size wise? Above the evoke but below the discovery?
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending Rodríguez

Quote Originally Posted by stooo View Post
    So where does this sit price and size wise? Above the evoke but below the discovery?
    All models are priced on the website. It's similar to the Evoque price wise.
    Competing with X3/Q5/XC60 in the 30-40k sector.

One thing this has over it's rival though is 7 seats. I think that's a big deal for a car in this bracket and expect it sell very well.

Quote Originally Posted by shadowman View Post

Recently bought a RR Sport for that very reason, having taken it's biggest hit on depreciation of £15k which equated to £1 per mile in its first year.

A few more pics of the interior, only one at a time at the moment due to photobucket.
    Sorry Dave posted them here as thought it was easier.

Last edited by Franky Four Fingers; 10th October 2014 at 12:41.

Craftsman
    If What Car are correct then buying one now would be close to crazy. They're going to change the engine spec 6 months after launch to a new more efficient engine!

To quote them:

How do I buy a Land Rover Discovery Sport?
    The Land Rover Discovery Sport goes on sale on January 22.

Initial demand is expected to be strong because of the traditional appeal of new Land Rover models, plus the inherent improvements over the outgoing Freelander. However, the decision to launch the car with an engine that will be replaced around six months after its launch is likely to prompt many buyers to wait for the more efficient unit, despite pricing details for that car not yet being available. Resale values and running costs of the newer engine will also likely be much better.

Target Price discounts won’t be available until the car goes on sale, but if customers do delay orders, expect discounts to be available on what is still a significantly more efficient car than the outgoing Freelander that it replaces.

- See more at: http://www.whatcar.com/car-news/2015....D6KYP9nm.dpuf

Craftsman
    Probably a development car on test, LR have their own sets of trade plates, I have a place near the Solihull plant and see lots coming out on trade plates.

Release in January I think.

My wife is looking to replace her XC90 that has given her 10 years of pretty trouble free years

She has got used to being high up, needs 4 wheel drive given snow/steep roads where we live

Probably has less use for 7 seats than when the boys were younger, but still needs a fair amount of space to do the university runs

So she likes the look of the Discovery Sport....registers for info on the Land Rover website. Dealer calls her yesterday. She expresses a wish to see the car. They say you can see one in January but only if you pay a deposit now for an April delivery. She says don't want to commit till I see it. Dealer says if you wait then an 18 month waiting list. Have to say this BS puts me right off .....especially as those who have done a modicum of research will await the new engine launch anyway

Master
    If you want to see the car there are open days (for want of a better word) around the country from now til Xmas. They're listed on the LR website somewhere. My dealer was also pushing me for a £1K deposit - but agreed it would be refundable up to the car going into build. So a reasonable way to secure delivery, get time to view one and get out if you're not happy.

Journeyman
    I do like the look of these, I couldn't convince the fiancé on the freelancer she much preferred the xc60. Maybe in four years when my car will be due for replacement and these might have depreciated enough....

Master
    Slightly off topic, but passed what looked like a sticker-bombed Bentley on the M42 this afternoon - realised as I got closer that it was a press-disguised new big Jag, was led my an awesome looking white Jag in Aston clone mode, also presumably the new version but already released to press?

I know, useless without pics, but I wasn't going to whip out the iPhone as there was a cop two cars behind me.

Master
    Edit, the white one was an F type, but with more bells and whistles - maybe an R version or something?

Quote Originally Posted by ism123 View Post
    If you want to see the car there are open days (for want of a better word) around the country from now til Xmas. They're listed on the LR website somewhere. My dealer was also pushing me for a £1K deposit - but agreed it would be refundable up to the car going into build. So a reasonable way to secure delivery, get time to view one and get out if you're not happy.
    Just got back from Trinity Leeds where one was on display.... Details were tucked away in a hiding corner on the LR website

Car was impressive but slightly smaller than the pictures suggest

The launch of the new engines seems a moot point. Allegedly all the new engines will go in the Jag XE first so they not sure when they will appear in the LR. I think the petrol will suit us best so will have to wait

Anyone here work at a dealership ??? Can't stand the idea of having to pay £1k deposit to get a reasonable delivery date and then be sucked into paying full list !

Blog Entries
    I'm sure it was a Disco I saw on display at the Goodwood F.o.S., and was asked not to touch, as 'it was a clay model' ......