closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: A new arrival for the month that Patek celebrates its 175th anniversary!

A new arrival for the month that Patek celebrates its 175th anniversary!

Patek’s 175th anniversary was officially back on the 1st of May: http://www.patek.com/contents/defaul...sary_news.html

However, they have decided to hold their celebrations in October: http://www.watchonista.com/2914/watc...-thierry-stern

That is just a happy coincidence because I’ve been looking at Pateks for a while now.

When I first started looking, I liked (and still do like) the 5196G. I tried one on and the dial is absolutely stunning but I wasn’t sure how often I would wear a full on dress watch and have parked that idea for a few years. (I’m thinking maybe it could be something for my 40th birthday?)

So I turned my attention to the Nautilus and the 5711 as it is iconic and I would wear it much more often than the 5711... Then I did some research and decided if I was going to get a time only version, it ought to be the original so switched my focus to the 3700.

Then I tried on a 5712 and (despite thinking I wouldn't like the dial) it made sense that if I was going to get a Patek then it ought to be one with some form of complication... Then I did some more research and preferred the look (and rarity) of the 3712...

Then I had to track one down to try it on (which wasn't easy!)... And then on holiday in New York a couple of weeks ago I found a shop that had a 5711, a 5712 and a 3712 all in stock! That was ridiculous and at one point I had all three on my wrist at the same time (I really should have taken a photo!) but it helped me decide that the 3712 was the one for me.

Why the 3712 over the 5712? For me, it was the reason I was looking at the 3700 instead of the 5711: The 3712 is the original complicated Nautilus. It has the case made of two parts, which is true to the original Genta design, rather than the three part design that was introduced with the 5711 and 5712. Despite having the same movement as the 5712, it also has a number of other subtle differences, as summarised in these two threads:

http://patek.watchprosite.com/?show=...&ti=784418&s=0

http://patek.watchprosite.com/?show=...&ti=783483&s=0

The key differences for me relate to the moonphase and date. I much prefer the fact that the date numbers on the 3712 continue “correctly” around the circle, rather than swapping directions half way round as they do on the 5712. (I know this might make reading the date slightly easier whilst the watch is on the wrist but the fact that the change just happens to coincide with the “9” on the 5712 really messes with my OCD as it could easily be a “6” after the “7” and it just looks all wrong to me!)

I also prefer the fact that the moonphase (and surrounding numbers) are slightly smaller on the 3712. This means that they don’t dominate the dial in the same way as they do on the 5712 and has the added bonus of meaning that you get a full marker at six o’clock, more of one at eight o’clock and one at all at seven o’clock!

It is the small details like these that you’d probably never think of if you hadn’t seen them side-by-side which convinced me it was worth the extra to have the 3712 over the 5712. The fact that they only produced the 3712 for around nine months, meaning that there are less than 1000 in existence, is just the icing on the cake!

If you’ve made it this far without falling asleep, then I congratulate you on being a true watch geek! Either way, here are some photos which (as usual with any of my pics) really don’t do the watch any justice whatsoever but hopefully at least show how the amazing dial changes colour in the light:

And here’s a quick photo of the back showing the micro rotor:

When I finally decide to take it off my wrist, I may well have to ask Tony to take some proper pics of it (but that could be a little while yet…!)

All the best,

Paul

Oh my. That is stunning.

Congratulations, wear it in good health.

Oh, that is lovely. Congrats!

Never realised there was a two-piece case like this, learn summat every day here

Craftsman
    amazing watch - that movement looks incredible and love the mini rotor!

Cheers guys - I can't stop looking at it!

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post
    Oh my. That is stunning.

Congratulations, wear it in good health.
    Thanks for playing your part in it ending up on my wrist Jon!

Quote Originally Posted by GraniteQuarry View Post
    Oh, that is lovely. Congrats!

Never realised there was a two-piece case like this, learn summat every day here
    Indeed - that was the original reason for the "ears" and they just continued with the iconic design for the three-piece cases on the modern Nautilus.

All the best,

Paul

Craftsman
    That's very funky indeed Paul. Might have to invite you out for lunch again so I can get a proper look :)

Congratulations.

Oooh... that's fracking lovely, Paul, and now all is clear. When are we having lunch???

Exquisite! But biased as I recently bought 5712

Thanks you for describing the differences ..... Something I wasn't fully aware of.

Is the rarity reflected in the price ??

Exquisite! Congrats.

Lovely and thanks for the links, an interesting read. It's weird about the numbers on the date wheel of the 5712, you're right - I too prefer the normal layout of the 3712 and indeed the 2 piece case.

Thanks again for all the nice comments!

Quote Originally Posted by Viking View Post
    That's very funky indeed Paul. Might have to invite you out for lunch again so I can get a proper look :)

Congratulations.
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Oooh... that's fracking lovely, Paul, and now all is clear. When are we having lunch???
    Lunch sounds like a plan - I'll drop you both a PM a bit later on to get something in the diary!

Quote Originally Posted by dandanthewatchman View Post
    Exquisite! But biased as I recently bought 5712

Thanks you for describing the differences ..... Something I wasn't fully aware of.

Is the rarity reflected in the price ??
    The rarity certainly is reflected in the price - a quick search on Chrono24 should provide you with an indication of both the rarity of the 3712s and the uplift for that rarity! (It will also confirm that the 5712 that went very swiftly on SC was priced very competitively too!)

All the best,

Paul

Master
    Loooovely.

Both the 3712 and 5712 are very tidy and the differences between the two are fairly trivial "in real life" but I tend to agree that, on balance, the 3712 is neater. I think the deciding factor for me would be the numbers on the moonphase... the flip of the 9 I find less than ideal... although I could certainly deal with it if I had a 5712 on my wrist. To counter that though, I like the lack of a "7" marker on the 5712.
    Last edited by cmcm3; 1st October 2014 at 18:06.

congrats, a very nice watch
    would like to own this too …. maybe one day

Did someone say lunch....

well I now understand all the sales... Never held on in the flesh.. And I probably don't want to know how much you have invested in that.....

cheers

matt

Journeyman
    Met up with Paul this afternoon and he was wearing it.

It is beautiful!

Really nice Paul...well done.

Quote Originally Posted by MattH View Post
    Did someone say lunch....

well I now understand all the sales... Never held on in the flesh.. And I probably don't want to know how much you have invested in that.....

cheers

matt
    Count me in, I'd love to see the Patek first hand!

Lovely Paul, just stunning!

That's a beauty Paul...look forward to catching you wearing it in CSQ...someday soon

Congrats on your latest acquisition.
    I did not know there were so many differences between the 3712 and the 5712!

Journeyman
    Wow beauty

Craftsman
    Stunning! Congratulations!

Journeyman
    lubberly

Congratulations Paul on a lovely acquisition - it also sounds like you will have a queue of potential lunch dates heading over to Canary Wharf. Make sure that Tony's high up on the list as I'm sure that dial really does warrant the dark room treatment. I love the micro-rotor - a personal weakness of mine.

Craftsman
    Congratulations on the watch, wear it in good health!

I'm a sucker for blue dials and Patek really do the blue on the nautilus really well. Enjoy!

Master
    That's a real beauty, congratulations!

It's all about that micro-rotor for me - can you wear it back-to-front?

Thanks again for all the lovely comments!

Quote Originally Posted by cmcm3 View Post
    Loooovely.

Both the 3712 and 5712 are very tidy and the differences between the two are fairly trivial "in real life" but I tend to agree that, on balance, the 3712 is neater. I think the deciding factor for me would be the numbers on the moonphase... the flip of the 9 I find less than ideal... although I could certainly deal with it if I had a 5712 on my wrist. To counter that though, I like the lack of a "7" marker on the 5712.
    Cheers Cliff! That flip of the 9 seems to have made its way on to all current Patek models and what has been seen cannot be unseen (or words to that effect...!) I can see where you're coming from with the "7" marker and will definitely admit that I would probably prefer the screw-down crown of the 5712.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post
    Congratulations Paul on a lovely acquisition - it also sounds like you will have a queue of potential lunch dates heading over to Canary Wharf. Make sure that Tony's high up on the list as I'm sure that dial really does warrant the dark room treatment. I love the micro-rotor - a personal weakness of mine.
    Thanks Alan - You're right that the dial definitely deserves to be photographed by someone with considerably more skill than me! It's looking like the venue for lunch may well be nearer St. Pauls (although the date is still TBC) and you're more than welcome to join us if you're around?

Quote Originally Posted by MadeOfCheese View Post
    That's a real beauty, congratulations!

It's all about that micro-rotor for me - can you wear it back-to-front?
    The micro-rotor is impressive but I still can't stop looking at the dial (and I've still got the PanoInverse for my back-to-front watch fix...!)

All the best,

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by lawnmowerman78 View Post
    It's looking like the venue for lunch may well be nearer St. Pauls (although the date is still TBC) and you're more than welcome to join us if you're around?
    Drop me a PM when you have a date agreed - don't plan around my availability but it'd be lovely to make it if I'm in town.