closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Nissan GTR

Nissan GTR

Seriously thinking of trying one if these, any of you owned one at some point and could give opinions for and against?

Cheers

Master
    Although I haven't owned I was lucky enough to have my Directors for a month when he went away.

What can I say. An absolute beast of a vehicle. He now has a Maseratti Granturismo and regrets getting rid of the GTR every day.

It's a refined animal, I love everything about it. And hopefully will have my own... Anything specific you want to know?

Quite a few on RS246 have moved over to them including Phil so it may be worth asking on there. There is also a really nice one for sale on there in the classifieds that has been "money no object" tuned.

Living where I do you can imagine there isn't anything to look at within a 100 mile radius, what is the build quality like, especially the cabin? I'm looking at a 2012, so £50k plus, is it really as bad as some say?

Master
    I thought the interior was fine, certainly well put together, everything works nicely.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Definitely on my 'bucket list' of cars to own.

Gtr.co.uk is a very good forum to pick up ideas re servicing/running costs.

Fabulous toy, but as a daily car IMO no.

Too harsh a ride, maintenance is often and expensive (as is insurance) and some doubts over drivetrain longevity esp. if been abused or mapped.

NO I have not owned one, but researched the arse out of 'em a couple years ago when was seriously considering, in the end walked away. As I said, ok as a toy or 3rd car. HTH.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GraniteQuarry View Post
    Fabulous toy, but as a daily car IMO no.

Too harsh a ride, maintenance is often and expensive (as is insurance) and some doubts over drivetrain longevity esp. if been abused or mapped.

NO I have not owned one, but researched the arse out of 'em a couple years ago when was seriously considering, in the end walked away. As I said, ok as a toy or 3rd car. HTH.
    Also looked into it, hence that's how I found the GTR forum.

I concluded that it's an absolutely stunning car for other people to have, but not me.

This is what worries me, I have a 4 year old and a Wife who detests cars, if the ride is awful it's not going to be a viable option, I need to drive one myself.

The beauty of the RS5 is that in comfort mode you could be in a nice family cruiser, get rid of the two women in life and hit the Dynamic button and you're in a V8 monster that not much can keep up with!

watch this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3L1sqDsqlpo

Now tell me you don't want one.

Master
    All the nay sayers are wrong, get one...oh and it has to be white...

I test drove one and then was fortunate enough to be invited on a track day driving one. I thought the cabin was ok for a car in that price bracket, the switch gear was a bit plasticky but overall the seats, dash, door cards etc were very well put together. The 6000 mile service intervals were a bit of a put off as I was doing 12k a year at the time and my daughter felt claustrophobic in the back. That was the only reason I didn't buy one. If i didn't have a family and did less miles I would have one in a heartbeat. They drive superbly and nothing else touches them for sheer pace and road presence at that price point.

On the track day I managed 9 mpg! Awesome fun.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    On the track day I managed 9 mpg!
    You weren't trying hard enough!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by gilford View Post
    Living where I do you can imagine there isn't anything to look at within a 100 mile radius, what is the build quality like, especially the cabin? I'm looking at a 2012, so £50k plus, is it really as bad as some say?
    Where do you live?

My mate in North wales has one and I'm sure he wouldn't mind you having a look

The GTR engine must be the perfect basis for tuning.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Cf5...FADwyyPTrGgT4Q

A friend had one from new between march '11 and march '14. What a beast!

I used to feel nauseous just sitting in it cos you hear this underlying low volume rumbling of the engine. It shifted like nothing else I've been in. V tight in the back. V expensive to maintain. I recall him damaging a run flat tyre that was a few hundred miles old. That led to both front tyres being replaced at huge expense

He got rid before the brake pads needed doing.

He has a 2014 335d now and hates it. The GTR was in another league altogether

All in all, great for two people carriage and fine for everyday. But no good for rear seat passengers and v expensive to maintain.

Quote Originally Posted by ac82 View Post
    Where do you live?

My mate in North wales has one and I'm sure he wouldn't mind you having a look

I'm on Anglesey?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by gilford View Post
    I'm on Anglesey?
    I'll get hold of him and see when hes about (he works on the rigs). I'll let you know what he says.

Quote Originally Posted by ac82 View Post
    I'll get hold of him and see when hes about (he works on the rigs). I'll let you know what he says.
    Superb, that would be great, where is he based?

It would be nice to see one without the pressure/added hassle of being a prospective buyer/tyre kicker, plus I can get unbiased opinion with no sales shpeel.

Craftsman
    Just sent you a pm I think, he's around Loggerheads/Ruthin but is off again tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by marcus fenix View Post
    Lol😄😄😄

Funny that.

Knob!!

Seem to be regular visitors at the various RWB Drag Racing spots and thus there is potential for one to be 'launch controlled' to within an inch of it's life.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

I shared a pit garage at Silverstone with one earlier this year and chatted to the owner a fair bit about it.

His view was, yes they're very fast and mind-bogglingly capable, but you're always detached from the driving experience. It's like driving a fast car on a PS3. He claimed you operate it, rather than drive it.

He didn't like the service intervals much, and the cost of each one was eye-watering. He mentioned no figures but claimed it was well into Ferrari territory.

Rather tellingly, when I asked if he was going to stick with it he said, "oh yes, can't see myself getting anything else right now."

Sitting in it, I personally couldn't see anything wrong with the interior. Perhaps the comments earlier are comparing it to other high-end cars?

Quote Originally Posted by marcus fenix View Post

Knobtard.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Seem to be regular visitors at the various RWB Drag Racing spots and thus there is potential for one to be 'launch controlled' to within an inch of it's life.
    When these cars were "launched" in the US there was no basis in consumer law for a car manufacturer to limit warranty payments just by obliging the owner not to use a feature the car came with. I.e. you could launch the car all day, every day, and when it blew, you get a free drivetrain. Anyway, one enterprising owner found that if he pumped the gas, and basically sidestepped the brake and gas then stamping the gas when leaning on the brakes, it would launch 6,000 rpm or whatever. His drivetrain duly exploded. Anyway, Nissan refused to pay out when they downloaded the data indicating repeated abuse, so he sued and naturally won, despite Nissan saying it was no different to dumping the clutch at peak power in any other car repeatedly and expecting the clutch not to die eventually.
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Master
    Except for the fact that one of the mags tried the same in a new Porsche 911 turbo and did 100 launches without fail. There is a video of it on Youtube.

The Veyron can do similar.

The transmission is engineered by a British company, Ricardo: http://www.ricardo.com/en-GB/What-we...ssion-Systems/

Quote Originally Posted by Corporalsparrow View Post
    I shared a pit garage at Silverstone with one earlier this year and chatted to the owner a fair bit about it.

His view was, yes they're very fast and mind-bogglingly capable, but you're always detached from the driving experience. It's like driving a fast car on a PS3. He claimed you operate it, rather than drive it.

He didn't like the service intervals much, and the cost of each one was eye-watering. He mentioned no figures but claimed it was well into Ferrari territory.

Rather tellingly, when I asked if he was going to stick with it he said, "oh yes, can't see myself getting anything else right now."

Sitting in it, I personally couldn't see anything wrong with the interior. Perhaps the comments earlier are comparing it to other high-end cars?
    From nothing other that what I've read from various motoring writers, I have been led to believe that the "video game" comparison was something of a myth. Maybe it's only if you take it over 8/10 that it becomes more alive and, lets face it, you would need a track or some huge nads to go 10/10 in one of these. Did he look committed when he was out on the track?