closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: SOTC Update

Master

SOTC Update

Hello chaps,

After a bit of chopping and changing this year heres whats currently in the watch box.
    I tried really hard to get down to 8, I really did, honest, and I would have done it if it wasnt for you meddlin' kids.

In no particular order and its taken me so long to put this together I've probably got another couple incoming since I started ;)

Rolex Explorer 214270

This has been my daily wearer since purchase.
    Great bracelet and adjustment means I can wear it all day with no issues, fits under a shirt nicely and sometimes makes an appearance on a strap.

Omega Planet Ocean

Doesnt get worn that much but with a bit of orange showing it may get a run out this Autumn now that its caught my again.
    My only diver apart from the PRS-82 and apart from some oddball quartz items that are lurking at the back of a drawer somewhere the longest serving watch I own - new in 2007 or thereabouts.

Nomos WeltZeit

I do travel a bit and if its somewhere that isnt a bit rufty tufty I'll be wearing this.
    Fantastically simple to swap the current time zone with the push of the button, a case thats surprisingly thin and with a change of strap can be dressed up or down.
    Theres a new blue dialled version with my name on it somewhere.

Dornbluth 99.2

Bought and made for my 40th this year. Was a long wait but I feel more than worth it.
    Quite a chunky chap but the strap has now bedded in and is very comfortable to wear.
    Lovely to give it a wind every now and then and pop in the wooden box to use as a desk clock if I've not worn it for a while.
    New dark brown strap arrived so will have a swap around and see how that goes.

Christiaan van der Klaauw Ceres 1974

Dont let it be said that I like something a little off the beaten track :)
    1974 has a tenuous link to my birth year and I didnt have a moon phase watch at the time and am possibly the biggest sucker for a blue faced watch, which this isnt but has enough blue to tick that box for me.
    Fantastic detailing on the dial and always raises a few questions and a smile when noticed out and about.

H Moser & Cie Mayu
    Sometimes, just sometimes, I need to have a proper shave and make an effort.
    On that day each year I'd probably wear this - the rest of the year I just sit and look at it for it is simply tremendous.

PRS-82

Currently living on a NATO and the go to watch if nothing else fits the bill.
    Love the simplicity of this and I have what seems to be a rather uncalled for amount of NATO straps :)

PRS-25 Everest

Knocked off its perch somewhat by the Explorer, this still raises a smile when worn. Timeless on either the strap or bracelet.

PRS-36 Vintage Cushion Case

A new arrival and another classic. Perfect size, shape, weight and feel, love it.

CWC G10

This seems to hide away at the back of the box keeping its head down. Cant remember the last time it was worn but still the right time and ready to go.

Bremont Codebreaker

Enough links with my work and interests to make this very appealing to me.
    A bit of a brute on the leather NATO but currently wearing a nice Cordovan strap.
    Also ticks the box as my only current Chrono.

Bremont MBII

And while we are on a bit of a Bremont run, heres a new arrival of an MBII Orange.
    Very impressed with this as a tool watch and its what I have on right now - rubber strap on the weekends ( snigger ) and a Hirsch Lucca dark brown at the moment.

Kemmner Flieger

Still here, Still huge.

Kemmner Mechanik

Seems to have been claimed by my son, but still mine :)

Suunto Core

An old friend, well travelled, lots of memories.

G-Shock Riseman

Well it gives me the correct time, all the time.

G-Shock

Easy to read time, unusable functionality, buggered if I can remember what button press does what...

Thanks to all and our host for the past 10 months or so, I've learnt all manner of interesting things, even some about watches.

I was putting a post together of what got chopped for the current collection but I had some proper work to do....

Cheers,

Pete

What a fantastic collection, the Dornbluth and the Codebreaker stand out to me, great taste.

Craftsman
    Ooooo. I love the PRS-36 Vintage Cushion Case - what a beauty. I've always really liked the marine style watches in particular the Stowa Marine Original but it really would be boat sized on my cocktail stick wrist.... I could afford it too. Help!

What strap have you put it on as I see you've changed the supplied black one and I prefer yours.

A lovely mature collection. Just building mine up......

One of the best SOTCs I have seen on here - the Dornbluth has me reaching for the brochure again... rarely see the more complicated dials outside of the press pictures!

Congrats!
    great journey, nice photos and some really nice watches.
    that HM&C is outstanding.

Master
    Thanks all,

These are the ones that made way for others, with some regrets.

JLC Master Chrono

Huge regret but needs must at the time.
    Have one eye on a Master Control thats in SC....

Rolex Milgauss

Another sadly missed.
    The Subs dont do anything for me, sorry, but this did. Slightly out of the ordinary which works for me.
    Possibly not a daily wearer due to the polished links - thats all I can think of why I sold it. That and moving house and then not.

Omega DeVille Hour Vision

Ticked all the boxes and had a blue face too.
    Cant remember why I sold it now, must have taken a blow to the head.

Junghans Max Bill Chronoscope

Fantastic design but I just didnt wear it.
    Also the rotor noise could be heard from space.
    By my granny.
    Whos deaf.
    And no longer with us. Like the watch.

Tudor Heritage Chrono

Again a lovely (rare) thing at the time that I wish I'd kept.
    The strap was terrific but I thought the bracelet made the watch look too blingy for my tastes.

Seagull 1963 PVD

Great looker. Never worn. Had to go.

Omega Aqua Terra

I often wake up in a cold sweat in the middle of the night wishing I'd chased after the postman and brought it back home to live with me forever. Sniff.

Tudor Pelagos

Gone but not forgotten, titanium loveliness. Maybe get another in the future but it wont be as nice as mine :(

Omega Broadarrow

I had quite a nice little Omega mini collection going on at one point but then the cull started.

Seiko SARB035

Didnt get much of a look in with the Aqua Terra and then the Everest pushing its nose in.

PRS-29B

As nice as it was I went off military watches a bit, was a last in first out at the time.

Kemmner Octopus PVD

Limited edition 2000 meter divers watch thats over engineered to the nth degree.
    I dont even go outside if its raining.

Omega Speedsonic

Birth year watch. Didnt wear it. Contrary to my fashion sense I'm just not a retro kinda guy.

PRS 17C

Sold during my militaryish phase out. Was bloody lovely though.

Marathon

Possibly sold after a WTB post, I cant remember. Just one day I came to and didnt own it anymore.

Precista Titan Commander

Should have kept that

Master
    Great pics,great watches and may it long continue.

Amazing collection love so many of those even ones that have gone. The Explorer and the Moser stand out especially. Gorgeous watches. Gratz.

Craftsman
    Amazing collection and story. I don't know which collection of pictures I like more - the current collection or the ones that have gone!!!

Master
    Great collection and a fair few greats gone aswell. Thanks for sharing.

Think I'll check out the Explorer against my Sub next time I'm in town

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Lovely collection and that post made me snigger. Particularly ok the subject of the chronoscope rotor.
    The moser and explorer are my faves there. The exp looks great on the leather strap.

Wow. Fantastic stuff!!

That's a really lovely collection, and you've also let some beauties go (which is something I can identify with). Great photos, too

Master
    Lovely collection Pete.

Journeyman
    I'm off to Google and learn, so many manufacturers / models I've never heard of and such classic designs. Stunning photography too.

Pete, thanks for posting the ins and the outs. Both groups are full of interesting and beautiful watches. I'm with you on the Explorer as the daily wear. The Moser and van der Klaauw are new to me but worthy of further research - special dress watches.

Thanks

David

Great eclectic collection - I especially like the codebreaker - you certainly don't see many of those about.

Craftsman
    wow - stunning collection… speechless! :)

Great collection and great photographs.

Now tell me, if you had to pick just three to see you through life...?

Journeyman
    Very nice watches, very nicely photographed. I'd be late for work everyday if I had so many awesome watches to choose from!

Great collection - when I saw the Rolex/omega I must admit I thought here we go (although I understand what great/versatile watches they are) but then saw some of the others - I think the dial on the Nomos is great & the Moser is beautiful. I too miss my Milgauss also GV but at least know it can be replaced.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post
    Great collection and great photographs.

Now tell me, if you had to pick just three to see you through life...?
    Planet Ocean, Dornblüth and Codebreaker and the Moser given to my son but I'd still borrow it.

Or

PRS-82, Everest and Cushion Case

Quite a collection Pete; past and present.

Nice photography too

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DB9yeti View Post
    One of the best SOTCs I have seen on here - the Dornbluth has me reaching for the brochure again... rarely see the more complicated dials outside of the press pictures!
    Thanks and theres a fair few of your current/past pieces I've had my eye on too :)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    That's a really lovely collection, and you've also let some beauties go (which is something I can identify with). Great photos, too
    Aye, its hard when one needs to go and I've never bought the same model of watch twice. Yet....

I don't know how you could let that JLC Master Chrono go. I'd rather sell family members!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by carryondentist View Post
    Great eclectic collection - I especially like the codebreaker - you certainly don't see many of those about.
    Certainly not - none of the aviation themed specials have any meaning for me, same with the Victory.
    But the Codebreaker, oh Lordy yes. Would have liked a power reserve somewhere, maybe even the rear and lose the GMT faff or make it as transparent and simple as the Nomos.

Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post
    The Moser and van der Klaauw are new to me but worthy of further research - special dress watches.
    Both bought sight unseen as they arent something you often get to fondle [insert gag here] but the workmanship on the Moser is sublime and the detail on the vdK fantastic (his cheapest, cant imagine what something like the Planetarium would be like )

Quote Originally Posted by Broadsword View Post
    Very nice watches, very nicely photographed. I'd be late for work everyday if I had so many awesome watches to choose from!
    Ah, somedays I dont even get dressed.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Chris H View Post
    I don't know how you could let that JLC Master Chrono go. I'd rather sell family members!
    They were on eBay, no takers.

What a collection!! Interesting that out of the first batch of photos I noticed that PRS-36 first! That Flieger is handsome too.

But oh my... the ones that got away.. The Aqua Terra is just stunning and the Black Bay is indeed very interesting. I'd have nightmares about the postman running off with my Omega too.

Blog Entries
    Cracking set of watches... The explorer on the strap looks the business!!!!

Wow. Just wow. How do you keep them all out of view from the wife! Amazing collection - the MC would make a classy addition ;-)

Superb collection.

+1

Quote Originally Posted by scarto View Post
    Superb collection.

Craftsman
    Absolutely amazing. The Nomos and Dornbluth stand out as my favourites, but there's also a few from the big cull that makes my heart flutter. I hope that my collection will be on the same level one day, ticking so many different boxes!

Master
    Cracking collection there Pete, and some nice photography to boot.
    Great to see a diverse range of brands and models, instead of the usual array, which you've already done and passed on.

Quote Originally Posted by Coot View Post

H Moser & Cie Mayu
    Sometimes, just sometimes, I need to have a proper shave and make an effort.
    On that day each year I'd probably wear this - the rest of the year I just sit and look at it for it is simply tremendous.

Outstanding collection, beautifully photographed, fantastically written.

Picked out the Moser not just because of the watch but also the quote that came with it.
    Last edited by CardShark; 30th September 2014 at 14:08.

A proper collection with real diversity.

Very few watches really grab me these days, but the Codebreaker is an exception. Love it.

Outstanding - I would die for two of them.......the Explorer and the Christian Van der Klaauw - the latter being my new target watch.
    A really nice balanced collection as has been said, and some that got away aren't that bad either....the JLC is very pretty!
    Well done Coot!

David

Master
    I'm a little bit embarrassed to say I missed a couple off my list

These are last 3 in the box, with 2 others up on SC leaves me with one slot free......mmmmmmmmm, choices......

Kemmner Tonneau

Another one that punches above its weight. Theres been a few dial/movement versions of this with mine being the black faced Miyota one.

Orient Bambino

These are almost free at the price, everyone should have one hidden away somewhere.
    I think I would have preferred the white dial version though but never got round to chasing one up.

Getat Watch Custom Jobby

Sapphire, aged lume, exhibition back, big old hunk of steel and much cheapness.

And a couple more that got away

PRS-5 Broadarrow

And another regret, but had to be sacrificed during the great military cull of 2014. I blame it on the Defence cuts.

Pebble Steel

A valiant attempt at a smart watch. If only it had even less functionality and was named after a marsupial I would have kept it.

And that, ladies and gentlemen, concludes the voting from Yorkshire. Goodnight.

Master
    Nice watches, love that van der Klaauw

Nice piece too, although not my personal favourite!

D ;-)

exceptional photo skills, and it is nice to see some less common makers. I really like that Kemmner Tonneau, off to Google that right now!

Master
    That's what I love about this place, every time someone posts a SOTC there's always a brand I'm not yet familiar with or a model variant I've never seen before! Problem is my wish list of pieces I would like to own one day is growing much faster than my bank balance ever will!
    Magnificent collection, thank you for sharing.

Journeyman
    Wow, you have some killer watches!