closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My first "serious" watch purchase.

Journeyman

My first "serious" watch purchase.

Hi all,

A few of you may remember i started a thread a few weeks back to say hello and i asked some advice about a potential first "serious" watch purchase for my impending 40th.

Anyway, Mrs philsimm and I were in town on Friday picking up a few bits and after having a browse at the Tudors decided to pop in to the Omega AD for a look....

A hour later i walked out with this....(apologies for the dodgy camera phone pic)

I wanted something timeless, versatile, with a bit of provenance and nod to the past, and although not a birth watch ( i was thinking about a vintage Datejust initially) i knew the design of the Speedy hadn't really changed since i was born in 1975 and i'm over the moon with it (no pun intended!)

Next step is to find a nice Nato and leather strap...watch this space.

Phil

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by philsimm View Post
    I wanted something timeless, versatile, with a bit of provenance and nod to the past, and although not a birth watch ( i was thinking about a vintage Datejust initially) i knew the design of the Speedy hadn't really changed since i was born in 1975 and i'm over the moon with it (no pun intended!)

Great first choice - you certainly fulfilled all your criteria!

Was it Waltons? Hope you negotiated hard ;-p

As for nato / leather - dont - this is a "bracelet watch" if every there was one. Unless you're an astronaut on the moon in which case you'll need an XXXXXL long strap.

That's a beautiful watch philsimm, I'm glad you decided which one it would be and as you say some good reasons to own it - a true classic - well done again and enjoy! :)

Great choice!
    Of course Carl at GasGasBones can furnish you with an authentic looking FQBN NATO should you need one!
    Johnny.

Journeyman
    I went to Waltons but they only had the racing version, i definitely wanted the "classic" one with plexi glass and manual wind so ended up at David M Robinson.

I'm afraid my negotiating skills were pretty none existent that day! I think the sales lady was knew she was onto a winner the minute i walked through the door!, her plying me with Prosecco didn't help either plus the fact that i had to do some of the capital on IFC

Its a stunning watch and i couldn't be more happy.

Quote Originally Posted by ach5 View Post
    Great first choice - you certainly fulfilled all your criteria!

Was it Waltons? Hope you negotiated hard ;-p

As for nato / leather - dont - this is a "bracelet watch" if every there was one. Unless you're an astronaut on the moon in which case you'll need an XXXXXL long strap.

Craftsman
    Very nice, although I agree with ach5, looks better on a bracelet. Enjoy.

Master
    I went to Waltons but they only had the racing version, i definitely wanted the "classic" one with plexi glass and manual wind so ended up at David M Robinson.

I'm afraid my negotiating skills were pretty none existent that day! I think the sales lady was knew she was onto a winner the minute i walked through the door!, her plying me with Prosecco didn't help either plus the fact that i had to do some of the capital on IFC

Its a stunning watch and i couldn't be more happy.
    Well forget all that - it's a fantastic watch, a genuine icon of horology - great choice. Wear it daily, let it get bashed, and love every minute - congrats!

Very nice. Are you one of those guys who leaves the chronograph running all the time?

>> <<

Craftsman
    Congratulations on a beautiful and timeless piece! And don't listen to the bracelet lovers, the Speedy looks amazing on a nice NATO. So much so that mine has never even been on its bracelet. Enjoy!

Fantastic choice for a first watch, you may not need another.

I think mine looks great on an alligator strap, but maybe that's because it's a vintage Speedy.

On second thoughts, now you just need to find a nice pre-moon...

Craftsman
    Congratulations - you can't really go wrong with a Speedy, the design is as good today as it's ever been.
    Enjoy it!

Journeyman
    Thanks for all the bracelet / strap comments.

For the sake of £10-£20 i may as well grab a NATO and if i don't like it then i can always put the bracelet back on.

Good choice!
    My first watch (also for my 40th) was also an Omega - although mine was the SMPc.
    Great quality watches and of course you realise this is the first step on a very slippery (and possibly expensive) slope....

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by SSTEEL View Post
    Very nice. Are you one of those guys who leaves the chronograph running all the time?

>> <<
    Lol - not really but do like the look of the big second hand sweeping around

Great choice, I've never had one of these but will one day! A true design icon!

Master
    Congratulations on your purchase :-)

As a first "serious watch purchase", you couldn't do any better than the speedy. Total classic.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SSTEEL View Post

>> <<
    Doesn't everybody????????

I think it looks weird when they're not running....

Lovley first big purchase OP !!!

Congratulations, I think you have chosen well. One of these was also my first serious purchase, so I suppose I would! I find bracelets on the heavy side so normally wear it on a GGB. Echo the comment about a slippery slope...

Craftsman
    Splendid watch. I just sold mine last week and regretting it already. Looks great on a Di model rallye too

Lovely watch, good choice.

Regardless of what's above, the Speedy Pro looks fabulous on leather and a nato - although I do concede that it's probably best on its bracelet. Plenty of threads on here with options.

Great choice

Can't beat a Speedy Pro. The OEM Aligator strap suits it very well too.

Journeyman
    Thanks for all of your comments. I look forward to enjoying my purchase.

Just now to decide if and what alternative strap to get, i must admit the Di Modell Rallye looks very nice but so does the OEM Rallye, albeit at significantly more expense.

Master
    It just occurred to me that these now come with the "special" presentation set - a fancy box with loupe and two extra straps*... Is there a reason yours didnt? I think they put the RRP up to reflect this, so might be worth asking about if you paid the full current/latest RRP.

* there's a thread here from a week or two ago about this... will try to find it

EDIT: here it is: http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...ht=speedmaster

Master
    Congratulations, great choice an absolute classic.
    Enjoy it ;)

Blog Entries
    Congratulations and enjoy. A true classic and timeless.

Master
    Lovely watch enjoy!

Lol - not really but do like the look of the big second hand sweeping around
    Just pulling your chain, you would be surprised how many owners of chronograph watches don't even know they are constantly running their chronograph lol

Master
    Stunning watch, I'm really tempted by one of these as my next purchase when funds allow me to!

Personally, I think they look good on brown leather.

Btw, what's so serious about it? Have all your previous purchases been hysterical?

Gotta love a Speedy! Good choice. I have had three in my time, two from 1979 and currently a step-dialled version from 1971.

I disagree with the only on metal way of thinking, although it is always your choice and they DO look great on a bracelet! I wear mine of brown leather!

zsayub116610
    Wow that is stunning! A huge congratulations :)

Journeyman
    Mine is the old model and was on display at the old model RRP.

It just occurred to me that these now come with the "special" presentation set - a fancy box with loupe and two extra straps*... Is there a reason yours didnt? I think they put the RRP up to reflect this, so might be worth asking about if you paid the full current/latest RRP.

* there's a thread here from a week or two ago about this... will try to find it

EDIT: here it is: http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...ht=speedmaster

Master
    Great watch and a very sensible choice.

Apprentice
    Congrats on a very tasteful purchase. Wear it well.

Master
    Congrats on a truly great watch,can't go too far wrong with a speedy and if it's good enough for astronauts....

As first watches go that's a very good choice!

Great choice.

Mine's on its way back from Genesis, so I'm really looking forward to wearing it again.

M.

That's a lovely thing mate. Great choice.

Steveo Lambert at steveostraps.com does some lovely stuff too that will suit the Speedy very well. And of course Carl at GGB.

Enjoy!

Journeyman
    What a great purchase.

Great first watch, its an icon. Whats next on your list?

Congrats - a great choice :)

Master
    Mine is the old model and was on display at the old model RRP.
    I'm on hold is Florida at the moment and thought I would pop into the Omega store at the Mall at Millennia. They had the "new" Speedy in with it's box and straps for $1000 more than the old one. They did have one of the old ones (in the back sir, thought we had sold them all) at $4800, plus tax, so that's makes the new ones about £3750. A bit pricey if you ask me, hope they don't overprice them for the UK market.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by jonny View Post
    Great first watch, its an icon. Whats next on your list?

Hi Jonny,

Thanks. After getting over the shock of spending such a large sum ( for me anyway) I'm thinking about the next addition to the collection. It won't be any time soon, but you never know what will happen after TZ grant me access to sales corner! I like the idea of a simple, vintage dress watch, thing is the speedy is so versatile and I'm rarely in a suit these days it probably wouldn't get much wrist time so I dunno at this stage.

One things for certain, it won't be my last. I hope I can stick around to share and thanks for all your positive comments so far

Phil

Journeyman
    This bloke has found a nice leather strap - not the one meant for it but I reckon that looks great

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TyR65g5U56I

Hi all,

A few of you may remember i started a thread a few weeks back to say hello and i asked some advice about a potential first "serious" watch purchase for my impending 40th.

Anyway, Mrs philsimm and I were in town on Friday picking up a few bits and after having a browse at the Tudors decided to pop in to the Omega AD for a look....

A hour later i walked out with this....(apologies for the dodgy camera phone pic)

Phil

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanie View Post
    I'm on hold is Florida at the moment and thought I would pop into the Omega store at the Mall at Millennia. They had the "new" Speedy in with it's box and straps for $1000 more than the old one. They did have one of the old ones (in the back sir, thought we had sold them all) at $4800, plus tax, so that's makes the new ones about £3750. A bit pricey if you ask me, hope they don't overprice them for the UK market.
    £3750?! Ouch! One of the best things about the Speedy was that is was (relatively) affordable...

PE LOVE the Cheesecake Factory restaurant at Millenia (and all the others in South Florida - have been to them all too many times!!)

Journeyman
    Not any more... they seem to start at nearly £3k and go up (a lot) from there....

I'd still like one though!

£3750?! Ouch! One of the best things about the Speedy was that is was (relatively) affordable...

PE LOVE the Cheesecake Factory restaurant at Millenia (and all the others in South Florida - have been to them all too many times!!)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lex524 View Post
    Not any more... they seem to start at nearly £3k and go up (a lot) from there....

I'd still like one though!
    At that RRP it'd be almost £2k cheaper to buy a late 60's 145.012 and have the "real deal" - a £300 overhaul and it'd be as good as a factory new 2014 example!

Journeyman

Cool

At that RRP it'd be almost £2k cheaper to buy a late 60's 145.012 and have the "real deal" - a £300 overhaul and it'd be as good as a factory new 2014 example!
    Now there's a plan.... :-)