closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: New project from a Canadian micro brand

Master

New project from a Canadian micro brand

Hi everyone,

I came across this project on a Canadian watch site and wanted to bring it to the attention of a broader audience because I think that it is an interesting design. I have no connection with the company or the watch and I don't intend to buy one, but I'm curious to know what people think of it.
    http://cobrawatches.com/shop/pre-order.htm

The name of the company is a bit odd (Cobra de Calibre!?), and I'm not crazy about the script on the dial or the red "3", but other than that, I really like the dial. I also like the internal bezel. I'm torn over the double crown. From some angles, I think that it looks great, but from other angles, it is just too much.

The styling cues are pretty obvious -- I see PAM and Hamilton in the case, and TAG Heuer and GP in the dial and markers -- but I like it.

I'm curious what others think.

Cheers,

Jay

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by alljay View Post
    Hi everyone,

I came across this project on a Canadian watch site and wanted to bring it to the attention of a broader audience because I think that it is an interesting design. I have no connection with the company or the watch and I don't intend to buy one, but I'm curious to know what people think of it.
    http://cobrawatches.com/shop/pre-order.htm

The name of the company is a bit odd (Cobra de Calibre!?), and I'm not crazy about the script on the dial or the red "3", but other than that, I really like the dial. I also like the internal bezel. I'm torn over the double crown. From some angles, I think that it looks great, but from other angles, it is just too much.

The styling cues are pretty obvious -- I see PAM and Hamilton in the case, and TAG Heuer and GP in the dial and markers -- but I like it.

I'm curious what others think.

Cheers,

Jay
    I don't like the dual crown and wonder what it's function is. When I look at it i feel like the designer tried to squeeze everything into he likes about other watches. I didn't like that you could see the glue or resin seeping out from under the manufacturers dial on the pictures. Is this the norm but I just haven't looked close enough at another before??

Master
    Looks like a Daniel Jean Richard to me

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian99 View Post
    I don't like the dual crown and wonder what it's function is. When I look at it i feel like the designer tried to squeeze everything into he likes about other watches. I didn't like that you could see the glue or resin seeping out from under the manufacturers dial on the pictures. Is this the norm but I just haven't looked close enough at another before??
    I haven't spotted the resin or glue, but I wonder if it was like that because the watch is a prototype. The price is pretty low, so maybe some corners were cut? I'm not sure.

The second crown moves the inner bezel.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jk103 View Post
    Looks like a Daniel Jean Richard to me

You're right! I wonder if the watches are built/designed by the same company. For what it's worth, I like the Cobra dial better and the bronze makes it more interesting.

Master
    Agreed, with a hint of Omega Aqua Terra in the dial in the first pic.

As a design, there are elements I really like - such as the hands - but as you say OP, a very weird name for a watch too.

As a bronze, it could be a grower.

Blog Entries
    It's an interesting watch. I like the hands, I like the case shape, I like the dial a lot (apart from the logo), dislike the bronze. Shan't be buying but it's close to the kind of thing I like. Will be interesting to see how they develop.

The font and name is awful, other than that not too bad.

Also similar to some of Movas watches... http://movaswatches.com/

Quote Originally Posted by alljay View Post
    You're right! I wonder if the watches are built/designed by the same company...
    Doubt it. JeanRichard (they dropped the Daniel part a few years ago) are part of the Kering group (formerly PPR) alongside Girard Perregaux and Boucheron.

Me no like
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.