closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Apparently miracles do happen …

Apparently miracles do happen …

Never thought I could ever get this watch
    I sea it first time in 2008 when they released this piece in Basel

Right from the start we were told it would be very hard to get because of it's rarity
    non official but but it seems they make about 30 till 50 if these per year, on source said maximum 100
    Fact is that this enamel cloisonnι dial is very difficult to make and only 2 people at Patek have then necessary skills

Anyway, I thought : why not try to get one
    Chances are zero to none but on the other hand, trying to get one doesn't cost you anything

So years flew by … 2009 …. 2010…2011…2012…2013…
    And not so long ago my AD called me and asked me if I remembered ordering the 5131 ?
    Ofcourse I did LOL
    On daily basis I read stuff about it on the internet

He told me it arrived

Couldn't believe it LOL

one serious disadvantage, I didn't have the money so I had to sell quite a lot other watches and add some savings

But hey,, I made this decision in 0,00001 seconds
    This is a once in a lifetime opportunity

Wow. That's what I call a grail, congratulations

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Good grief.
    Thats some enamel work. You must be VERY pleased :-)

That's eye poppingly, jaw droppingly gorgeous and I bet even better in person!
    Lovely, and hearty congratulations for obtaining your 'once in a lifetime' grail.

Stunning! Looks perfect one your wrist. Enjoy!

That's rather special, isn't it? I wouldn't be selling watches to get one of those, I'd need to sell a house!

It is certainly busy but that dial is stunning.

Craftsman
    Very nice, I hope you get to wear it on many suitable occasions.

You've made me very happy just seeing this watch in the thread . that doesn't happen very often ! You must be over the moon.
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Hmm, I love a PacMan balance :)

Master
    Congrats Bruno,a very special watch indeed.

Blog Entries
    Congratulations on your patience and on owning such a stunning watch! And thank you for sharing some picture of it here. :-)

Master
    Absolutely gorgeous. Good move.

Wow, that really is an incredible piece of workmanship! But..... how do you tell the time on it?

Beautiful work
    Gray

That is a work of art! It would suit a gallery as well as a wrist , outstanding!

What a watch, well done for jumping on it - patience paid off. Hope to see one in the metal one day :)

Master

Absolutely not my cup of tea, but is this the first genuine £100k (used price - don't know retail) watch on TZUK?!

That alone deserves a congratulations!

Enjoy :-)

Master
    Wow...just wow!

I genuinely believe that the nearest I'll EVER get to one of these is seeing one in the window display at the Patek Philippe Salon, Lucerne.

Quote Originally Posted by ach5 View Post
    Absolutely not my cup of tea, but is this the first genuine £100k (used price - don't know retail) watch on TZUK?!

100k? Gosh O.O

Master
    Jumping keepers alive, I wasn't expecting that!!! Unbelievably beautiful.

Wow that is a thing of beauty. I would be too scared to wear that out of the house.

Quote Originally Posted by mungosdad View Post
    Wow that is a thing of beauty. I would be too scared to wear that out of the house.
    I kind of think wearing it would be a shame... as would be not wearing it ;)

Superb. Absolutely superb.

Craftsman
    Wow, that really is a masterpiece on a wrist strap. A treasure in the purest sense of the word!

It would of course be impolite to ask how much it cost so I won't. Suffice to know it is far beyond my price range.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ach5 View Post

We did have one chap who popped half a million quids worth onto SC one afternoon. Entertaining thread it was too...

I could never contemplate getting one of those but was lucky enough to have one in my hand for a few minutes. It is better than any picture I have seen.

How much you paid is irrelevant, you could find the money and you have an exceptional watch on your wrist. Congratulations!

PS: A friend from a French forum (and the Purists) has a 5130 and treats it as a watch, not as a safe queen, so enjoy yours!

Congrats on managing to get a long held desire.

I personally do have a bit of a problem with these sort of objects. They seem a bit decadent to me.

They are indeed hugely expensive and no doubt the enamel work is of high quality. However, it is a watch and whilst it might also be art, the main reason for its creation relates to its function as an object for telling time. It doesn't do this very well overall. You only have an approximation of the time to a couple of minutes or so and for a watch that is capable of keeping time to 3 or 4 seconds a day seems a bit daft. Why not use a cheaper movement if your intention is only to have an approximation of the time and not an accurate time?

Beyond that, its main purpose is as a World Time watch and this dominates the aesthetics of the watch (overly so imo), unfortunately, it is often completely wrong. Want to do some business in Tokyo? In the pictures posted it is about 15.40 in London and 0.40 in Tokyo, except it wasn't, it was actually 23.40 in Tokyo.

Frankly I don't get it, all that time and money to create an object that is not very good at its stated purpose seems just too decadent to me. it actually seems to be just an object that is expensive and unobtainable to most, for the primary purpose of being expensive and unobtainable to most.

Mitch

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
    Beyond that, its main purpose is as a World Time watch and this dominates the aesthetics of the watch (overly so imo), unfortunately, it is often completely wrong. Want to do some business in Tokyo? In the pictures posted it is about 15.40 in London and 0.40 in Tokyo, except it wasn't, it was actually 23.40 in Tokyo.
    You are of course fully entitled to your opinion but it would be wise to give a little credit to Patek for being able to know what time difference there is between London and Tokyo.
    Tokyo is GMT + 9 hours.
    You may be mistaken because of BST, but it doesn't make Patek wrong.
    Of course, you do have those countries that are on a half time zone (Venezuela or Afghanistan, for example) but I do not think many of those were worn in Helmand province recently....

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
    it actually seems to be just an object that is expensive and unobtainable to most, for the primary purpose of being expensive and unobtainable to most.
    Mitch
    That's the principle behind most luxury watch purchases...

Quote Originally Posted by Umbongo View Post
    That's the principle behind most luxury watch purchases...
    Allow me to slightly edit your comment...

Banned
    @Mitch. It's obviously indulgent and that goes for most of the stuff on here. Including your very expensive G shocks! If one is going to be logical about it it's hard to justify anything past the first decent watch. But from there on its simply a matter of degree. He has a hundred grand spare, somebody has a thousand and the next guy has ten or five hundred million and so on.

If you allow me.... I didn't mention a price and really wanted to avoid that.
    some of the replies made clear why it is better not to talk about prices

but since this thread it moving from imo a post about a nice watch to 'look how insane expensive it is', I want to intervene.

first of all, like I said from the start.
    I had to sell a big part of my collection and even had to add extra money
    Secondly, that 100k secondhand value is on the high side. 85 is closer
    thirdly, listprice -if you can get one- is less than 40k

now, I realize even 40k is a lot of money.....definitely for me.
    but this is the price of a gold daydate II plus a steel/gold daytona ..... that is less outrageous I guess.

I hope we can continue talking about how beautifull or if you want how ugly it is and less about an irrelevant price.
    this is after all a watch forum and most luxury watches are expensive.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I don't see any reason why you should feel like you have to justify your expenditure.
    No pockets in a shroud.

Master
    It is quite superb and f*** the negative posts.

Hope I can use that way of saying it on this forum. If not, sorry.

So you could double your money if you sold it (or have I misunderstood the pricing)?

Not suggesting that you would as you clearly love the watch - enjoy it!

Banned
    Bruno, it's a wonderful thing to have achieved a long held desire. It is also a reminder of how quickly time passes by and perhaps a spur to get on and do the things we mean to do "someday" before time runs away with us!

but let us not be embarrassed about talking about money, it's a necessary part of life and nothing to be uncomfortable about - although there seems to be some European thing about being uncomfortable with other people's (or even one's own) success. I truly believe this is an unhelpful and obsolete point of view.its clear you are sharing your happiness in something lovely and not bragging about your money.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    So you could double your money if you sold it (or have I misunderstood the pricing)?

Not suggesting that you would as you clearly love the watch - enjoy it!
    No, you are correct
    these are so hard to get they indeed demand an insane premium.
    do not forget a a steel daytona also fetched a 40 or 50 prcent premium 6 years ago.

but believe me, if you waited 6 years for your dreamwatch the only thing you won't do is flip it :-)

Master
    I'll be honest it's not for me but as I was reminded tonight I can only be happy for you for actually achieving your personal grail watch, it must be a great feeling looking down at your wrist every 10 seconds with a permanent grin (well that's how imagine I'd be!).

Quote Originally Posted by Josh B View Post
    @Mitch. It's obviously indulgent and that goes for most of the stuff on here. Including your very expensive G shocks! If one is going to be logical about it it's hard to justify anything past the first decent watch. But from there on its simply a matter of degree. He has a hundred grand spare, somebody has a thousand and the next guy has ten or five hundred million and so on.
    You are right Josh, obviously most of the watches posted on here are indulgent to one degree or another. I recognise that with some of mine of course.

My point is that even though they are indulgent they mainly perform their main purpose very well. For instance with mechanicals I do think that whilst there are cheaper and better ways of performing their functions they still provide considerable accuracy and performance within their parameters.

A mechanical perpetual calendar watch which also keeps time to 4-5 seconds a day is performing its prime purpose to a good degree. It might be a bit decadent, given there are better cheaper ways of achieving the same performance but it is in the game.

A very expensive and exclusive perpetual watch that didn't show the correct time very well and often showed the incorrect date would be completely decadent in my opinion.

Mitch

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    No pockets in a shroud.
    I like that line. Anyway Bruno, it's the crθme dela crθme, no reason to expect it wouldn't expensive. Congrats on a beauty.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruno.M View Post
    If you allow me.... I didn't mention a price and really wanted to avoid that.
    some of the replies made clear why it is better not to talk about prices

but since this thread it moving from imo a post about a nice watch to 'look how insane expensive it is', I want to intervene.

first of all, like I said from the start.
    I had to sell a big part of my collection and even had to add extra money
    Secondly, that 100k secondhand value is on the high side. 85 is closer
    thirdly, listprice -if you can get one- is less than 40k

now, I realize even 40k is a lot of money.....definitely for me.
    but this is the price of a gold daydate II plus a steel/gold daytona ..... that is less outrageous I guess.

I hope we can continue talking about how beautifull or if you want how ugly it is and less about an irrelevant price.
    this is after all a watch forum and most luxury watches are expensive.

Bruno, I have not commented on your thread to rain on your parade. Just kind of getting my thoughts out there.

I am really pleased for you that you have got something that gives you great pleasure and that alone can be justification for buying something.

Most of us do this to one degree or another. My daughter buys handbags costing £2500 or so and I kind of feel 'What!'.

Then again I have some expensive classic wines that I honestly admit don't taste as good as some less admired ones at a tenth of the price. The ownership of them still gives me pleasure though.

Mad isn't it!

Mitch

awesome watch

ive seen one at my ads and yeah I tried to buy it but it was for a rich client who waited 3 yrs for it and when I asked hwne my one was coming to my ads

he said he will do his best before im 45 lol so could be a while :)

enjoy and wear it in best of health , the enamel dial is amazing , even through a sealed packet which I wasn't allowed to open

even when I said if I opened it does that mean u'll make me buy it :)

Banned
    Hmmm, my radio controlled g shocks sometimes have difficulty in getting signal or knowing the time zone to apply. I suppose those are more decadent than a pair of AP's? I mean look at them, no real point in having both of these is there? But they do what it says on the tin quite well...

Not at all to my tastes, but that's not the point. I'm pleased your patience paid off, and I hope you enjoy your holy grail for many years to come.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh B View Post
    Hmmm, my radio controlled g shocks sometimes have difficulty in getting signal or knowing the time zone to apply. I suppose those are more decadent than a pair of AP's? I mean look at them, no real point in having both of these is there? But they do what it says on the tin quite well...

]

Those are more decadent than your G Shocks but I would love to own them nonetheless.

I will swap you for a couple of less decadent watches, how about it?

Mitch

Dιcadence is good. Or should that be Decadanse?
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannop View Post
    Wow. That's what I call a grail, congratulations
    + 1000. And kudos to you Bruno.M and I hope you get great pleasure from times like this. As Verv said no pockets in a shroud. Over a lifetime of the usual ups and downs, I have learnt that one should grab the pleasures where one can, the hardships bring their own excuses. At the end of one's life you will mourn those times when you didn't grab (if ye'll pardon my French) da fuq outa life and all that means. You most certainly won't regret the overtime you didn't work.

Feck all that ballsology B.M, the fact is that's a bloody fantastic looking watch you have. That's one thing I'd personally give to Patek; design wise I'm just a tad too saddo hipsterish to get into them(save for the calatrava*), but damn, even the most crosseyed can see their sheer quality of design and execution. Never mind that's it's been a personal grail of yours. That is a big thing for all of us watch nutcases in our comunity(of nutters ).

Speaking as someone who will never own a Patek(cheap arsed oul fecker that I am), I say you wear it well Sir and enjoy it. I'll live vicariously through you and others like you and applaud you for it.

*Lumps of granite sitting in a field can see their beauty.

Love it. Congrats.
    Remember there was a thread criticizing this watch and some clueless wonder going on about Credor.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries

Miracles

Amazing watch and huge congrats.
    But guess you could never sell it to an Aussies or kiwi, we seem to be missing!!!