closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Best match you've ever been to?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    I didn't go to the famous 4-3 game because it was at Anfield and the two I quoted were at home.

And yes, I really do miss football like that.
    Of course....! It's all part of being a fan, you take the rough with the the smooth... 7 years ago we were being relegated to the 3rd tier for the first time in out clubs history... You'll come good :)

I went to KK's first match in charge (my parents lived near Matfen) stood in the leazers end (is that right?) and saw Andy Cole (playing for Bristol City!!!!!)

Gavin Peacoock... He was a player!
    Last edited by Wolfie; 26th September 2014 at 18:42.

Craftsman

Newcastle 4 Arsenal 4 - The Greatest Comeback

A few contenders - including Newcastle 5 5under1and 1 - but just have to go with this one.

To be 4-0 down at half time and get a point was astonishing

A typical (!) Newcastle performance in the first half, it was Joey Barton and Kevin Nolan who really drove the team on and Nolan very nearly got a winner.

Only slight downside - I sit in the Leazes end and all 8 goals were at the Gallowgate end. The benefit was as soon as the eight goal left Tiote`s foot - we all knew it was in!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Joyce View Post
    The OP will love this.

27th December 1975.

Welford Road.
    I was a lad and had grown up in Leicester, before moving down south.

Leicester Football Club Vs Barbarians Football Club.
    A longstanding Boxing Day (or thereabouts) fixture.

Ba-Bas bring in half the Welsh team in order to put the Tigers to the sword.

Just a few names that come to mind - Mr P.Bennett, Mr G.O.Edwards, Mr R.W.R.Gravell, Mr D.L.Quinnell and, my all time rugby hero - one Mr J.P.R.Williams.

Outstanding game. Much awesomeness from all players.
    JPR lurking around moodily, like a caged animal, between action.
    Made my Christmas.

Scroll down for the result : )

Y

Tigers 20 - 11 Barbarians.

Well, what did you expect : )
    Ha ha... Even I recognise some of those names :)

I am ashamed to admit that even though I have the Man Utd of the rugby world on my doorstep I've never seen them once.... I quite like rugby too!

City 3-2 QPR
    And the week before..... City1-0 Utd

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by wildheart View Post
    I was there, my lot did not turn up that day...a certain keeper Foster I remember had a very good game.

Southend 1-0 Manchester United in 2006 was my greatest match, Rooney, Ronaldo et al. A marvelous Freddy Eastwood goal did the deed.
    We are the only team in the football league with a 100% record against United. Played one won one!
    Yes, Ben Foster was on loan from Stoke at the time, he was on another level. Incidentally that season we were deducted 10 points for entering administration and subsequently dropped to League 2, we've never really recovered..

Craftsman
    Another good one I went to was Ossie Ardiles testimonial in 1986/7 - Hoddle, Ossie and Maradona on the same side show boating - fantastic.

I was there

Sunderland 4 Chelsea 1

Barely sat down before Quinny put us 1 up, but that super Kev goal was something else

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFspQb8u9DE

Quote Originally Posted by S.L View Post
    Sweden - Romania 1994 World Cup quarterfinal.
    I was at that game!

Craftsman
    Man Utd 3 Barcelona 0 1984.

Cup winners Cup,2-0 down from the first leg,Diego Maradona and Bernd Schuster,Capt Marvels 2 goals...

all for £2.80 (my last game I got in as a "junior")

Portsmouth V Chelsea in the FA cup final.We were relegated on the Saturday and lost 1-0 on the Sunday.But what a great great weekend in London.

I gave my Seasoncard to my daughter for the City v QPR game. I couldn't get tickets for her and my wife even for a grand. I gave her the ticket 5 minutes before he game as we stood oupside. So I'll take the City v WHU game in 2014 by which time we all has me Seasincards. Seeing your side win the league is amazing.

1989, City 5-1 v Utd was great. I also saw City beat Huddersfield 10-1. Not a huge game, but bizarre.

Grand Master
    leeds 1 man u 0, 1997, shouted myself hoarse!
    http://www.leeds-fans.org.uk/leeds/history/83/8309.html
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Last year's playoff final was pretty special, sure I've seen some highs and mostly many lows with Norwich , but this was the first time I can recall us actually performing when the time came.
    Generally we've completely bottled it! Getting relegated at Fulham the one that stands out.

And Wembley was actually the third time I've seen us promoted live.

Blog Entries
    The 2nd leg of Chelsea v Barcelona was a great night in 2005 - having been to the away leg where we lost 2-1, we took them back to the Bridge with little hope. Inside 20 mins and we were 3-0 up. They brought it back to 3-2 which would have seen them go through and then JT puts us ahead at the death.

The game that saw us win our first top division title in 2005 against Bolton away when Lampard won the game for us 2-0 was a definite highlight.

Being a Gooner-hater, I particularly rejoiced when we did them 6-0 at home on March 22nd 2014 (not that it sticks in my mind or anything).

Of course, the Champions League Final in Munich in 2012 is a game I'll never forget. Didn't get back from the stadium to Munich town centre until around 2am but partied til daylight.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by bparker170 View Post
    Spurs v Arsenal League Cup semi final 1987

To come back from the dead at the Lane, especially as the Spurs were so confident they announced Wembley ticket details at half time!

RIP Rocky Rocastle

Probably the most painful defeat I've ever endured, 12 years old, adored every Spurs player, and yes, the way we were playing and being 1 up from the away leg, we were too confident. Character building is all I can say. Mind you the Coventry Cup final defeat a month later might draw close!

RIP David Rocastle - always respected by the large majority of Spurs fans.

I live 1 minute away from the David Rocastle Training Center in Chingford too

Blimey - how long have we got?

Big respect to ManCity fans for the QPR match.....and I only watched it on TV

Arsenal 2 Barca 1 at the Emirates when Arshavin scored the winner
    Liverpool 4 Arsenal 4 (Arshavin hat-trick)

He only really had two good games!
    5-2 vs Spurs when 0-2 down after 40 mins
    Even Newcastle 4 Arsenal 4 when were were 0-4 up after 20 mins. Memorable also in that all the goals were at the 'other end' which in nigh-on invisible in the crap away section at St James'

Easy one for me October 2006 Southend United 1 v Manchester United 0 (Rooney, Ronaldo et al) We are the only team in the football league to have a 100% record against the Red Devils. Superb goal by the wonderful 'gypsy' Freddie Eastwood!

The best 3 matches I've seen were at Anfield, I was on the kop for all three amazing games.

Liverpool vs Nottingham Forest 5-0 1988

Superb performance against title rivals Forest in April 1988, Tom Finney said "It was the finest exhibition I've seen the whole time I've played and watched the game. You couldn't see it bettered anywhere, not even in Brazil."

Liverpool vs Man Utd 3-3 1994

Great comeback after Utd had gone 3-0 up in January 1994

Liverpool vs Newcastle 4-3 1996

The greatest Premier League match ever?

Leeds 4-3 Liverpool,viduka got 4 ,my mate had a season ticket for Leeds and got me a ticket,sat with Leeds supporters as a Liverpool fan , buzzing inside but dare not cheer in the first half , then it all went Pete tong

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    Everton v Bayern Munich semi final Cup Winners Cup 1985 at Goodison 1-0 down at half time ran out winners 3-1 with the best second half I ever witnessed COYB

Master
    I'm not sure whether to be proud or ashamed, but I have passed my State Pension age without EVER going to a football match of any kind.

Master
    Leeds 2 QPR 3 1990 will live long in the memory, Roy Wegerle beating 5 or 6 Leeds players on the way to scoring one of the best goalsive ever seen. Coming back from 2 down we were fearing for our lives afterwards but the Leeds fans actually applauded us and safe passage out was a very welcome end to the day¡

Sheffield Wednesday 1 QPR 3, May 2004, last game of the season . needed to better Bristol City result to go up automatically with Plymouth. About 9000 away fans at Hillsborough. They were celebrating a Bristol goal as Danny Wilson was City manager. We then won easily considering the pressure and drove back 200 miles for an all night party in Shepherds Bush

Derby 0 QPR 1, play off final, reduced to 10 men, last minute, up steps Bobby Zamora. Nuff said!

There have been hundreds more that were all special for various reasons, particularly beating Chelsea 6-0 in 1986 ending their title challenge, unfortunately too young to have seen the 75/76 team which saddens me a lot more than it should! Great memories of Bowles, Francis etc but only in the following season.

Craftsman
    I've been watching football all of my life but two games stand out.
    England v Holland, Euro 96 at the old Wembley. We scored some great goals and the atmosphere was electric.
    The second was QPR v Derby in the 2014 Play off final at the new Wembley. We went the whole hog and had a meal in the Bobby Moore Suite before hand. Zamora's late winner still sends shivers down my spine when they replay it at Loftus Road every home game.

Quote Originally Posted by BSB View Post
    The 2nd leg of Chelsea v Barcelona was a great night in 2005 - having been to the away leg where we lost 2-1, we took them back to the Bridge with little hope. Inside 20 mins and we were 3-0 up. They brought it back to 3-2 which would have seen them go through and then JT puts us ahead at the death.

The game that saw us win our first top division title in 2005 against Bolton away when Lampard won the game for us 2-0 was a definite highlight.

Being a Gooner-hater, I particularly rejoiced when we did them 6-0 at home on March 22nd 2014 (not that it sticks in my mind or anything).

Of course, the Champions League Final in Munich in 2012 is a game I'll never forget. Didn't get back from the stadium to Munich town centre until around 2am but partied til daylight.
    Yes, yes, yes and yes but I'll add beating Lazio away 0-4 in 2003 and AC Milan 1-1 in 1999. "Oh Dennis Wise..."

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Riley View Post
    The second was QPR v Derby in the 2014 Play off final at the new Wembley. We went the whole hog and had a meal in the Bobby Moore Suite before hand. Zamora's late winner still sends shivers down my spine when they replay it at Loftus Road every home game.
    I think i landed about 4 rows away from where i started when the ball went in!

21st April 1991. Man U 0 Sheffield Wednesday 1. Rumbelows Cup Final.

Massive underdogs (second division), no one but our own gave us a chance. Dink, Sheridan goal. Amazing feeling seeing your team lift a trophy at Wembley. OK not the greatest game but perhaps one of the greatest feelings I've ever had. 1991 was (and still is) the best year of my life for so many reasons, with this being one major one of them.

3rd April 1993. Sheffield Wednesday 2 Sheffield United 1, FA Cup Semi @ Wembley.

Perhaps the greatest goalkeeping performance I've ever seen by Alan Kelly of them, it genuinely should have been 10-1. Knocking your rivals out in a semi is amazing. I genuinely thought we were going to win the cup that year and build and become one of the greats. How wrong I was.

11th January 2014. Sheffield Wednesday 6 Leeds 0. Just an amazing game of footy.

And just to show I'm not bias to my own - 12th March 2011 - Bayern 6 Hamburg 0. An absolute masterclass of a performance with an unreal game from Robben.

One thing to note though and goes back to my second one where I thought we'd build and become a great. If your team make it into Europe (Leicester....!), do whatever you can to go away. My biggest regret as a football fan was not going to either of our away legs (Spora Luxembourg and kaiserslauten) primarily due to cost but more so because I thought 'ah I'll go next season'

Next season never came. Don't regret.

Craftsman

Liverpool 4 Dortmund 3

I wasnt there.. I went to the Stoke game sunday instead..

But last night was definitely a "moment in time"...

Could have easily been another 5 goals...

Craftsman
    2010 FA cup semi at wembley

Portsmouth V Spurs

The arrogance of the spuds fans before kick off and then destroyed by the mighty pompey!!!

That was a nice trip home afterwards, just to see those spuds fans faces after (not that there were many left by then!!) was superb.
    There have been many other memorable days watching pompey home and away over the past 40 years, so good, some bad!

Steve

Spurs 5-1 Gooners

22 Jan 2008
    Carling Cup Semi 2nd Leg 6-2 agg

The Lane was rocking. Best atmosphere for a long long time.

Warrington, centre of the Universe and home of the Mighty Wire
    Not a football match but a Rugby league game. Wales v Western Samoa, 1995 at the Vetch Field Swansea. Over 15K there and another 1500 locked out. I was working for the Wales RL at that time, and it was one of the most ferociously contested games I have ever witnessed. Wales won 22 . 10

Stuart

Quote Originally Posted by Steve B View Post
    2010 FA cup semi at wembley

Portsmouth V Spurs

The arrogance of the spuds fans before kick off and then destroyed by the mighty pompey!!!

That was a nice trip home afterwards, just to see those spuds fans faces after (not that there were many left by then!!) was superb.
    There have been many other memorable days watching pompey home and away over the past 40 years, so good, some bad!

Steve
    Some pretty memorable stuff in the promotion season to the Premiership. Great days.

Cheers

Foggy

Craftsman
    Little to talk about recently for me.
    Bristol Rovers at home to get League one promotion.
    After having Max Gradel sent off and going one nil down it looked difficult but to bring it back was something else.
    Beating Stuttgart 4-1 at Elland Road after going 3-0 down in the first leg was special as it was our first venture into Europe for some time.
    Disappointments were all the playoffs.
    Losing to Donny and not turning up against Watford were low points.
    Watching Sheridan put us 1-0 up against Charlton at St Andrews only for Peter Shitlifter to put two past us left us all completely stunned.

Master
    I'm 47 and have never been to a football match - how's that

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lewie View Post
    I'm 47 and also have never been to a football match - how's that

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by soundood View Post
    I'm 47 and also have never been to a football match - how's that
    Seems like you two should be at the cricket.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Leeds View Post
    Seems like you two should be at the cricket.
    Or a cricket match ? Game?
    I have been to a fair few Le Mans though

Craftsman
    Newcastle 3 Barcelona 2

What an atmosphere! I remember walking up St James' boulevard & they had street performers outside of the ground, it was like a carnival. Wish they could still play like that now :-(

Luton v Arsenal Littlewoods cup final 1988. 2-1 down and penalty to Arsenal, dibble saves and Luton score 2, last one with 15 seconds left. Great days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Or a cricket match ? Game?
    I have been to a fair few Le Mans though
    You're probably not missing much then really.
    If you don't have a team you can't experience the highs and lows.
    Having a series of lows makes the odd high seem even better.
    Its probably a different sort of buzz at Le Mans?

As unlikely as it sounds.... Newport County vs Carl Zeiss Jena in the European Cup Winners Cup in 1981
    After drawing 2-2 away in Germany, sadly lost 0-1 at home in the second leg....Newport played like lions and should have scored 4-5, but CZJ goalmouth seemed to have a forcefield around it

Newport had only just been promoted from the 4th division to the 3rd and CZJ were the giants of East Germany and had already knocked out Roma & Valencia!

http://www.theguardian.com/football/...p-winners-1981

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy View Post
    Some pretty memorable stuff in the promotion season to the Premiership. Great days.

Cheers

Foggy
    My mates a Pompey fan and went to Milan and all the other euro games. He isn't too chuffed now but at least he went.

Can't believe how quick it went sour.
    Last edited by senwar; 16th April 2016 at 08:15.

Well done. And?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by senwar View Post
    Well done. And?

Barca vs Seville in 2010. Score was 5-0. Messi 2, Villa 2 and Danny Alves 1.

Sublime

Very easy this one, it was at Leicester.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by raysablade View Post

Didn't got to that one...

Generally away fans were just in the top of the the poxy east stand, right next to all the SK1 nutters, but, it appears you were everywhere and very excited!

Brian Deane - good payer. Saw him at Leeds a few times... I saw score a real worldy only for it to be ruled out as someone else was offside...

Still miss Filbert St... It was limited as a ground, but, it was what I was brought up with!

Quote Originally Posted by raysablade View Post

I bet that was also helped by our (Wednesday) score that day too.....

Pretty unreal day

I'm not a soccer man at all. I have only ever been to two games.
    The stand out game would be in February 2005 in Barcelona. It was for Tsunami relief out in the Indian Ocean. Basically all of the best players in the world got together, made two teams and played a game of football. Had a great night.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football_for_Hope

Quote Originally Posted by hilly10 View Post
    Everton v Bayern Munich semi final Cup Winners Cup 1985 at Goodison 1-0 down at half time ran out winners 3-1 with the best second half I ever witnessed COYB
    The atmosphere that night was amazing,but for me,I really enjoyed a midweek game at Analfield when Arsenal scored a cheeky little late winner.

Craftsman
    Five years ago today - Stoke V Bolton in the FA Cup semi final, first visit to the new Wembley. Fantastic day and an amazing 5-0 victory.