closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best match you've ever been to?

Blog Entries

Best match you've ever been to?

It was an "I was there" moment

Unfortunately my youngest daughter couldn't make it so I was forced to take my Man UTD supporting mate... I took no pleasure from making him stand up and applaud all five city goals

A nod and a wink for leicester coming back to three all from one of the finest hat tricks of all time (bergkamp) v Arsenal and loved our 5-2 demolition of Sunderland, but, this one has to the finest matches I've ever attended...

How about you?

Interesting

Very intreating

Last edited by Wolfie; 25th September 2014 at 21:54.

Ive only ever been to one so I guess that it would be the best by default

It workmate took me to see Hampton football club play another team in 1975

The pitch was next to an old peoples home and I recall the linesman having an argument with the homes gardener regarding the ball landing in his beds

Pretty much all I can remember of it really

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post
    Ive only ever been to one so I guess that it would be the best by default

It workmate took me to see Hampton football club play another team in 1975

The pitch was next to an old peoples home and I recall the linesman having an argument with the homes gardener regarding the ball landing in his beds

Pretty much all I can remember of it really
    But, what was the score?

Best match I've ever been to was the 2009 fa cup semi final when we (Everton) beat Man U on penalties. Probably not the most exciting game from the neutrals perspective but sticks in my mind as I as with a Man U fan friend who was adamant they would beat us... The noise and euphoria of the Everton fans after will stay with me forever. Was a shame we lost the final to Chelsea that year though!!

Master
    Spurs v Arsenal League Cup semi final 1987

To come back from the dead at the Lane, especially as the Spurs were so confident they announced Wembley ticket details at half time!

RIP Rocky Rocastle
    Last edited by bparker170; 26th September 2014 at 08:37.

Aston Villa vs Internazionale Milano 1990 as a 10 yr old with my dad

...amazing!

Master
    Watching that City vs Man Utd game would take some beating (if only I had been there). But the winning playoff finals were amazing for the result. For sheer drama of despair, elation and finally despair the 1993 playoff final vs Swindon. being 3 - 0 down coming back to 3-3 and then losing 4-3 to a dodgy pen would take some beating!! Even worse than the Deaney Watford game.

Master
    The most monumental match for me or match I will remember till the day I die was a match we lost! Birmingham v Arsenal 2003 lost 0-3. Tierry Henry, Freddie Ljungberg, Dennis Bergkamp and Robert Pires tore us apart, total gulf in class but that wasn't the reason. England had just won the Rugby World Cup. As the game kicked off both home and away fans sang together swing low sweet chariot. It was a stirring moment to see opposing fans sing in unison. After the song finished an applause of total respect for opposing fans went up. It was a real "I was there moment".

I have actually just found it on YouTube.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FCcZ8UfeE8k

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by reecie View Post
    Watching that City vs Man Utd game would take some beating (if only I had been there). But the winning playoff finals were amazing for the result. For sheer drama of despair, elation and finally despair the 1993 playoff final vs Swindon. being 3 - 0 down coming back to 3-3 and then losing 4-3 to a dodgy pen would take some beating!! Even worse than the Deaney Watford game.
    Oh crikey... I remember that one!

Was at the crystal palace game which was very special (thanks to Claridges shin!!!)

I was there when Sergio Aguero scored the winner v QPR deep into injury time to win our first title since the year I was born. Best day of my life, easily

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian99 View Post
    The most monumental match for me or match I will remember till the day I die was a match we lost! Birmingham v Arsenal 2003 lost 0-3. Tierry Henry, Freddie Ljungberg, Dennis Bergkamp and Robert Pires tore us apart, total gulf in class but that wasn't the reason. England had just won the Rugby World Cup. As the game kicked off both home and away fans sang together swing low sweet chariot. It was a stirring moment to see opposing fans sing in unison. After the song finished an applause of total respect for opposing fans went up. It was a real "I was there moment".

I have actually just found it on YouTube.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FCcZ8UfeE8k
    Ha! Just missing the Home Counties accents :-)

Journeyman
    Wrexham vs Southend in 2005, Millennium Stadium, LDV Vans Trophy Final.

Great day out and we won!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    Ha! Just missing the Home Counties accents :-)
    You could tell Birmingham is a "working class" club they only knew the chorus and not one person in the crowd that day had flaming toilet paper hanging from there arse!

How about you?

1993 Swindon Town V Leicester City Premiership play offs. You know the rest!

However the jubilation was short lived!!

Craftsman
    I was at the Liverpool v Man Utd 3-3 draw at Anfield in 94 which was a stunning match.

Also the 4-1 Liverpool win at Old Trafford in 2008 was rather fantastic.

If only I'd been in Istanbul.....

I'll go with two as I can't split them; Newcastle 5-0 Man Utd and Newcastle 3-0 Barcelona.

Pure magic, both of them.

Liverpool 2-2 Northampton Town (Northampton won on pens) League Cup 3rd Round 2010

Yes it was a second string Liverpool side and only the league cup, but it we still couldn't believe what was happening at Anfield that night. Having gone one down early on we completely ouplayed Liverpool in the 2nd half and should have won the game in normal time (but they made it 2-2 late on).The atmosphere in the away end when we won the penalty shoot out was amazing!

Quote Originally Posted by Quadrophenia View Post
    Wrexham vs Southend in 2005, Millennium Stadium, LDV Vans Trophy Final.

Great day out and we won!
    I was there, my lot did not turn up that day...a certain keeper Foster I remember had a very good game.

Southend 1-0 Manchester United in 2006 was my greatest match, Rooney, Ronaldo et al. A marvelous Freddy Eastwood goal did the deed.
    We are the only team in the football league with a 100% record against United. Played one won one!

Craftsman
    probably the 1989 liverpool v arsenal title decider ,last minute mickey thomas goal in the last game of the season to win the league ,we needed to win 2-0 or liverpool won the league
    the 1-0 in the bernabeau was a classic win and as mentioned the 1987 semi final at white hart lane ,2 goals in the last 5 minutes were both pretty memorable

Headingly 1981 day four and the scoreboard posting odds of England 250-1 to beat Australia and to then see Ian Botham and Graham Dilley turn the Test Match on its head and set up the win the next day.

incredible day and I was there!

For me, it has to be the 2008 League 1 Playoff Final at Wembley

Doncaster Rovers 1 Leeds United 0. By heck, the Leeds fans couldn't get out of the stadium quick enough after the game.

And what was I wearing? Why my birth year replica shirt of the last time Rovers were promoted to the second flight, and my Dunhill DM-7

Mind you, that magic 18 seconds at the end of the Brentford v Doncaster Rovers game on 27th April 2013 runs it a very close second....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4SK8PP-UP8

18 seconds from Tragic to Magic. It's a great roller coaster ride being a Donny fan.
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    How about you?

1993 Swindon Town V Leicester City Premiership play offs. You know the rest!

However the jubilation was short lived!!
    It was a classic.... You're right, it didn't go so well after that though.... I was absolutely on the floor after that game!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    I'll go with two as I can't split them; Newcastle 5-0 Man Utd and Newcastle 3-0 Barcelona.

Pure magic, both of them.
    You didn't go to the Liverpool game then? Widely regarded as one of the best prem games ever?!!!! I bet you miss those heady days eh?!!!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mr.st View Post
    probably the 1989 liverpool v arsenal title decider ,last minute mickey thomas goal in the last game of the season to win the league ,we needed to win 2-0 or liverpool won the league
    the 1-0 in the bernabeau was a classic win and as mentioned the 1987 semi final at white hart lane ,2 goals in the last 5 minutes were both pretty memorable
    Back in my 'anyone but Liverpool' days I was cheering as loud as you.... best title decider ever!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sevvy View Post
    Headingly 1981 day four and the scoreboard posting odds of England 250-1 to beat Australia and to then see Ian Botham and Graham Dilley turn the Test Match on its head and set up the win the next day.

incredible day and I was there!
    Now that was an undisputed classic... I remember listening to it on TMS on a transistor radio!

More about the occasion than the actual match. Brighton and Hove Albion's first home game at the new Amex stadium in August 2011. Brighton had been without a permanent ground since the directors sold the Goldstone to developers in 1997. Gillingham was used as a shared ground, then the Withdean which was an athletics track with a capacity of 6000.
    No one really believed we would get a new ground.
    So to stand in a new purpose built stadium was like a dream come true.
    The game after all the opening ceremony razzmatazz was a bit of a letdown and Doncaster were looking like holding onto to a 1-0 win, until Will Buckley score an equaliser late on and got the winner in the eighth minute of extra time.
    Went out for a meal in the evening and Dick Knight, the chairman who kept everything going in the dark days, was out with his family. My son introduced himself and Dick signed his match day programme and introduced him to all his family. Classy guy. All in all a great day.

Banned
    Me and two pals travelled to Euro 2004 for the quarter final featuring Portugal v England in Lisbon.

Final score was 2:2, ended 6:5 on penalties. Portugal deserved the win.

Best pre and post match atmosphere I’ve ever experienced, in then over 20 years of attending football matches.

Quote Originally Posted by Griswold View Post
    For me, it has to be the 2008 League 1 Playoff Final at Wembley

Doncaster Rovers 1 Leeds United 0. By heck, the Leeds fans couldn't get out of the stadium quick enough after the game.

And what was I wearing? Why my birth year replica shirt of the last time Rovers were promoted to the second flight, and my Dunhill DM-7

Mind you, that magic 18 seconds at the end of the Brentford v Doncaster Rovers game on 27th April 2013 runs it a very close second....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4SK8PP-UP8

18 seconds from Tragic to Magic. It's a great roller coaster ride being a Donny fan.
    You blew us away in the play offs, one hell of a performance 5-1 if I remember right?

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    You didn't go to the Liverpool game then? Widely regarded as one of the best prem games ever?!!!! I bet you miss those heady days eh?!!!!
    I didn't go to the famous 4-3 game because it was at Anfield and the two I quoted were at home.

And yes, I really do miss football like that.

I've not been to many profesisonal football matches - infact, I've only been to one! (I'm more interested in live rugby and motorsport).

However, that one match was a real cracker...

I was a kid staying with my aunt and uncle in Nottingham in 1999 and my uncle took me to see Notts Forest vs. Liverpool near the end of that season.

Forest already knew they were almost certainly going to be relegated, but they didn't capitulate to Liverpool in this game.

Liverpool were 1-0 up at half time, before Forest equalised on 60 minutes.

The balance was pushed back in Liverpool's favour some 12 minutes later thanks to a goal from Michael Owen following a majestic and penetrating run.

However, with the clock ticking on into added time, Pierre van Hooijdonk scored a fantastic curling free kick past Liverpool's David James.

With the final score 2-2, Forest had at least had one positive to look back on in what had been a pretty dreadful season.

Craftsman
    I hate to say this, but White Hart Lane, Spurs 3-0 up against Utd at half time. Utd's 2nd half performance was sublime. They won 5-3.

Quote Originally Posted by wildheart View Post
    You blew us away in the play offs, one hell of a performance 5-1 if I remember right?
    Southend, 0 - 0 at your place then 5 - 1 at ours. A Jamie Coppinger hat trick. We were 4 - 0 up when we got a free kick. Jamie, who wasn't our regular free kick taker, 'demanded' the ball and took a superb free kick, bending it beautifully past your keeper for his third.

You got a late concellation goal that slightly took the gloss of for us.
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Brighton vs someone in the 1970s.

I was 8 and bored and missed all 3 goals playing on the steps behind the stand.

The other two matches I've been to were utter cack, which I suspect explains why I've never really been that interested in football since!

M.

I must be a rare bloke who's never been to a football match! I have no interest in football but would be fascinated in the atmosphere and what it would be like...

I've been to a lot of football matches in my time. My top matches are:

1. 12th February 1994 - Charlie Palmer scores the match winner in the Nottingham derby to give Notts a well deserved 2-1 home win.

2. 19th May 1991 - Notts County vs Brighton 2nd Divsion Playoff final. Notts win 3-1 to earn a spot back in the 1st Division. It included a cracking goal by Dave Regis at 15:25 on the video.

3. 22nd June 1996 - England beat Spain 4-2 on penalties including an amazing penalty by Stuart Pearce with the loudest cheer I've ever heard.

Quote Originally Posted by CamCG View Post
    However, that one match was a real cracker...

I was a kid staying with my aunt and uncle in Nottingham in 1999 and my uncle took me to see Notts Forest vs. Liverpool near the end of that season.
    As a supporter of Notts County I can't let this lie. The correct abbreviation for Forest is Nottm Forest. In Nottingham the teams are known as Notts and Forest. It annoys both sets of fans when you use Notts together with Forest.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    there can be only one!

I was 9 years old when my Dad took me to my first Scotland vs England game, we won 2-1, the rest they say is history, I will never forget it, and it is vivid in my mind till this day.

Master

A Match in which we lost but won...

Liverpool 2-1 Blackburn, 14/05/1995

On the final day of the league season, Kenny Dalglish's Blackburn went to Anfield two points clear of Manchester United, who had a better goal difference and an easier fixture at safely mid-table West Ham. However, the first half went well for Rovers as Alan Shearer swept in a Paul Warhurst cross and Michael Hughes scored for the Hammers – a goal greeted warmly by all at Anfield.

After the break, though, John Barnes tapped in for Liverpool and Brian McClair levelled for United, who then dominated a determined West Ham but were denied by a string of Andy Cole misses and what Alex Ferguson described as an "obscene effort" from the Irons. Then, in the last minute, Liverpool's Jamie Redknapp whipped home a free-kick, prompting commentator Alan Green to incorrectly scream "Liverpool have handed the title to Manchester United!". They hadn't – and as West Ham held out for a 1-1 draw, Blackburn were champions by a point.

Oh what joy...

13th May 2012, Man City vs QPR!

Sadly I was sat in the Away section with the R's but at the end they were all celebrating with me!

Watch this, makes me cry every time............... Aguerrrroooooooooo!!!!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81bv_gF4j5k

Quote Originally Posted by Neely8 View Post
    I was there...
    I was also there... ...but on a different day!

21st May 2011, Conference Play-off final, AFC Wimbledon vs Luton Town.

0-0 after full time, 0-0 after extra time. Wimbledon's Captain Fantastic, Danny Kedwell, won the penalty shoot-out with the last kick of the game. Wimbledon had won their league place back, the proper way.

"Nine years, it only took 9 years" was the song sung at the time. And it's still a song that brings a tear to my eye today.

Besides the QPR game, which could never personally be topped, one that sticks in the mind is the FA Cup semi v Nited in 2011. Although it was only 1-0 , City dominated for almost the whole of the match and I knew then that we had finally arrived at the top table. As in the Leeds -Donny match, I've never seen half a stadium empty so quickly which was peculiar as most of them probably walked there.

Special mention too to Le Arse who came to Maine Rd in 2000 and odd and after 20 minutes were 4-0 up. Id never witnessed football on a scale like that before and it was breathtaking. Of course I get to see it like that every week now :)

Ive been to so many (hundreds & hundreds) it's hard to pick one out.

The 1979 FA Cup Semi Final replay Liverpool v. United at Goodison always sticks in my mind (I'm in this picture somewhere near the front).

As does the 1985 FA Cup Semi Final replay Liverpool v. United at Maine Road.
    Happy days.

I've been to 5 European Cup finals with the 1999 one being a lifetime highlight, not a great game though.

The 1978 game at Old Trafford between United & WBA (3-5) was a cracker of a game.

Spurs vs Man City FA Cup replay - just the best for a neutral.

2002 England vs South Africa at Twickers - 52-3 to England. Total Rugby!!! and I was not neutral .

The OP will love this.

27th December 1975.

Welford Road.
    I was a lad and had grown up in Leicester, before moving down south.

Leicester Football Club Vs Barbarians Football Club.
    A longstanding Boxing Day (or thereabouts) fixture.

Ba-Bas bring in half the Welsh team in order to put the Tigers to the sword.

Just a few names that come to mind - Mr P.Bennett, Mr G.O.Edwards, Mr R.W.R.Gravell, Mr D.L.Quinnell and, my all time rugby hero - one Mr J.P.R.Williams.

Outstanding game. Much awesomeness from all players.
    JPR lurking around moodily, like a caged animal, between action.
    Made my Christmas.

Scroll down for the result : )

Tigers 20 - 11 Barbarians.

Well, what did you expect : )

14th April 1976. West Ham v Eintracht Frankfurt. If you were there you'll know why!

1978 - & Chelsea were truly shite.

14/10/78 we played Bolton & were 0-3 down at half time. Twenty minutes left & its still the same score but Clive Walker comes on & transforms the game - Sam Allardyce scored the 'winner' in extra time & Chelsea won 4-3 - what a comeback!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75ZOl3v49R0

Having witnessed years of crap at the Bridge, it was probably my greatest match though against Bolton again in 2005 when 'we' actually the league for the first time in my lifetime!

Cheers

Paul
    Last edited by paul360m; 26th September 2014 at 17:49.

Sweden - Romania 1994 World Cup quarterfinal.
    Epic game and voted Swedish sport moment of the millenium.

- - - Updated - - -

Sweden - Romania 1994 World Cup quarterfinal.
    Epic game and voted Swedish sport moment of the millenium.

http://articles.latimes.com/1994-07-11/sports/sp-14234_1_penalty-kick

Celtic V Leeds 1970..........2nd leg Attendance 136,000 !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSJwp_xwrjU

Journeyman
    Croatian league, 22.02.2009, Hajduk (Split) vs. Dinamo (Zagreb) 2:0, amazing atmosphere.

Liverpool 9 Crystal Palace 0

I was there that night and definitely the most memorable game that I have attended. September 1989. Memorable for a couple of other reasons: John Aldridge's last game for the 'pool; and, Liverpool's last title winning season.

Utterly insane evening and I'd say the best hat trick ever scored.