A few superficial observations after a days ownership:

Context: I've been after a modern dress watch for a while. I previously owned a Stowa Antea, but never quite got on with its austere dial and it went for other reasons a couple of years ago. I have a Seiko SARB045, but I've wanted something date-less and with a lighter dial colour to complement it. Vintage Seiko 66 nearly hit the spot but are undersized by modern standards. I've been rooting around Longines and Oris offerings for a while but then the PRS-36 project came up.

Don’t like: I tend to look for flaws straight away and I found....not much :-) Being fussy, I would prefer the elegant Smiths Sheffield badge to be about 1mm lower and the subdial tracks about 0.5mm thinner. No OCD alarms ringing, though. I would also prefer the crown to be about 1.5mm wider but, as noted earlier, that is a modern affectation.

Size: on my 6.5” wrist the watch proportions are just right- the cushion case and light coloured dial means it “wears large” but there’s no lug overhang at all. The supplied Smiths strap is beautiful and comfortable but too bulky for me so I’ll probably try sourcing something with a matte croc-grain.

Movement etc: handwind is sweet and sturdy, and timekeeping seems fine. TBH I don’t care that much about the engine because….

Style: Without any need for sports/mil spec, this is all about the visuals for me. I was a little concerned about the polished case, but it works with the linen/brushed face very well. The textured subdial gives what would otherwise be a large plain dial a visual focus which zings. This is almost the only watch I have with numerals but, depending on the light, they sometimes disappear into the face. It’s this interplay- numerals, dials, polishing, brushing, which give the dial a sense of life which I like, but without being overly shouty. Very... proper.