closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Tissot Idea 2001; back when swatch watches were a glimmer in their dad eye

Master

Tissot Idea 2001; back when swatch watches were a glimmer in their dad eye

Morning all

This beauty arrived yesterday so I thought I would show it off, it's something quite special and really was the first of a kind. Back in the day (1970's) Tissot really were innovative in their design and brand (much as they have become today with things like the T-Touch). In the 1970's they produce a number of plastic cased watches, including things like the Sidereal Bullhead (fundamentally the same movement as the Omega bullhead in a plastic case).

One of the real show stoppers for Tissot was the idea 2001, a watch that was virtually all plastic (although they are serviceable) with no screws etc etc, really something quite impressive. The cal 2250 used only 52 parts and most were made from plastic (self lubricating) as opposed to the 91 in a tradition movement, thus significantly reducing the production costs. Values have risen sharply in the last few years with NOS examples fetching unto £1K, primarily because they are like hens teeth

Piotr has written a great piece on them on his site crazy watches http://www.crazywatches.pl/tissot-as...-research-1971

Anyway, though you might like to see a NOS blast from the past; I think most of you will see the similarities between these and the swatch watch

Admittedly they aren't the most understated of watches but very cool and a real hidden gem of 70's watch making! By contrast to my new acquired Pie Pan it does lack a touch of finesse but then I've worn it for 3 hours this morning and had at least 5 of our learners (18+ Art College kids) say 'thats a cool watch' so they are clearly cool still! unlike me! ha ha ha

Blog Entries
    That's very nice indeed (in a certain way). I think it could sell well today at the right price.

Thanks for sharing those pics. :-)

Master
    Thanks for sharing this. It has a certain coolness to it, and it looks quite futuristic for that time.

It's a bit like the Swatch Sistem51, but we'll have to see how that looks after 40+ years 😉

Was about to say the same - similar to the SISTEM51. A friend of mine has one (the SISTEM51) and it's a great watch.

That's very cool....thanks for sharing.

I am pretty sure that I had read previously that Lanco originally came up with the plastic movement concept, and had started development in the mid 60s, sadly I cannot find the information now.
    What is certain is that after they were swallowed up by the Tissot group in the early 70s, Lanco branded Astrolons were on the Market.

K

I agree Tom, Tissot is a very underrated brand, its been in the shadow of its bigger SSIH sibling for too long, great to see them get some love!

Craftsman
    Lovely! And rare indeed, this one looks brandnew, congrats!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JonW View Post
    I agree Tom, Tissot is a very underrated brand, its been in the shadow of its bigger SSIH sibling for too long, great to see them get some love!
    Hey Jon/ Keith

I think you are right Lanco did produce the first majority plastic movement and the Astrolon was also produced under a couple of brands. I have also just bought a Tissot Sideral Bullhead, which IMHO is an utter bargain, it is basically an Omega bullhead, the movement is identical (lemania) but the non date variation, the case is super cool and the leather bands are absolutely stunning, £400 NOS, when you compare that to £5000 - £7500 for a minty Omega Bullhead that makes the Tissot one hell of a buy

Wearing the watch today, so far I have had about a dozen positive comments on it, I'm clearly 'on trend' as our fashion learners would put it without even realising! ha ha ha ha

Hope you managed to get your Sideral Bullhead on a sensible strap. My old one came on this

That could only be worn here

It does contain the Tissot 1277, otherwise known as the Lemania 1872.

Tissot have a lot to commend them, and a proud history of invention. I am sure the Idea 2001 also contributed to the Delrin parts in the Lemania 5100.

Keith is about to re-assemble a Tissot 2031-powered quartz for me, another innovation they utilised, an early use of hour-hacking that Omega still have as a feature on their quartz watches.

Dave

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Very quirky, but oh so cool Tom!!!!!

I have a spare Tissot bullhead movement here that I always hoped I would build into a watch one day, and would say that the lemania movemnet in the NOS bullhead you bough Tom is worth more than the watch in today's un-enlightened-about-Tissot market LOL!

Tissot is a great brand to collection, I have about 15 of them... mostly the rarer divers and the chornos etc. The Lobster bracelet versions are worth seeking out ;)