closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Any Omega Pie Pans out there?

Any Omega Pie Pans out there?

Having read dickstar1977 post of his very nice Omega Pie Pan, I wondered if there were other fans out there. If you have one or two or more, please do post images.
    I'll start with my silver dial 168 005.

Master
    I have a 1964 gold cap Constellation which I inherited from my late father who bought it new in Holland.

No pictures, I'm afraid but had it serviced by Omega Service Centre last year who did a great job. After 50 years it is still running within COSC specs.
    Last edited by JeremyO; 23rd September 2014 at 10:41.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JeremyO View Post
    After 50 years it is still running within COSC specs.
    Wiuthout being pedantic, are you sure about that?

A watch can run at -4 to +6 in overall use and be way outside COSC spec. The likelihood is that this watch will be running very well, but unless the data's been provided with the watch (timing figures in all positions) it's unlikely to be within COSC.

When Omega service vintage watches they don`t guarantee to get them running as well as a new watch would; the goalposts are a little wider but they do have some target figures.

Paul

recently got very interested in pie-pans but found out their are a few dodgy ones out there.you can buy complete cases and dials dirt cheap - good repro work.definetly pays to study up on these.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Wiuthout being pedantic, are you sure about that?

A watch can run at -4 to +6 in overall use and be way outside COSC spec. The likelihood is that this watch will be running very well, but unless the data's been provided with the watch (timing figures in all positions) it's unlikely to be within COSC.

When Omega service vintage watches they don`t guarantee to get them running as well as a new watch would; the goalposts are a little wider but they do have some target figures.

Paul
    I understand what you are saying, which I hadn't considered, but it runs at c. +5 secs/day overall which is good enough for me especially given its age.

Craftsman
    Yup, same reference from 1961, only gets an airing a couple of times a year when the DJ is dusted off for formal 'dos'

Striking as the dial is I like the complex yet subtle case design even more, especailly the lugs. One of Mr Gentas' finest efforts IMHO.

Cheers

Ian

I am a huge fan! I got this for my 40th last month… its not going anywhere. I always have lusted after and Pie-Pan Arrow Head – it can't date in style. Endlessly stylish and I love it. It will be getting another airing on the weekend at a wedding and had one last week at a funeral. But I'm not one to keep a dress watch just for dress – I'll wear this with a short sleeve shirt and a pair of shorts with not a second thought!!

It is Gold-Capped on top, but when the light hits it at the right angle the whole thing glistens golden. I really am chuffed with it.

Journeyman

Omega Pie Pan

Hi Oliver,
    Dont comment much on the forum to be honest, think I will in the future, but your arrow head is just superb.

Silver and black piepan constellations

I have a silver and a black pie-pan with the cal 561 in there. I think the silver dial is the nicest dress watch out there at any price point, as mentioned before the dial and case are truly unique. I have toyed with selling the black dial, but understand that they are significantly rarer due to lower numbers produced and degradation of the dials over the years. This one has a nice 'star-dust' patina which adds to the effect and confirms that it is a factory dial. The complaint is that it is harder to define the pie-pan edges in some lights and that it blooming difficult to photograph.

I've box and papers (inc. the chronometer certificate) for both actually. Quite unusual.

Quote Originally Posted by carryondentist View Post
    I've box and papers (inc. the chronometer certificate) for both actually. Quite unusual.
    That is fantastic - it really adds so much to a vintage watch. How did you acquire them?

Both from ebay - a few years ago now - but there are still bargains out there.

Wiuthout being pedantic, are you sure about that? A watch can run at -4 to +6 in overall use and be way outside COSC spec. The likelihood is that this watch will be running very well, but unless the data's been provided with the watch (timing figures in all positions) it's unlikely to be within COSC. When Omega service vintage watches they don`t guarantee to get them running as well as a new watch would; the goalposts are a little wider but they do have some target figures. Paul
    Hi Paul,

If parts are available which they are for many, then yes, they return them to cosc spec. The technical working instructions provide all the timing tolerances that have to be met.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammt79 View Post
    Hi Paul,

If parts are available which they are for many, then yes, they return them to cosc spec. The technical working instructions provide all the timing tolerances that have to be met.
    I guess I should have said my watch is keeping time within the daily rate specified by COSC rather than running to COSC specs as I have no means (or inclination) to check the latter.

Craftsman
    Some really lovely pieces in this thread and I expect they are great VFM compared to present day offerings

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I have forever wanted a nice pie pan, and I still do. In gold with a Champagne dial on a brown leather strap and Omega buckle,

its kind of my secret love, something I admire from afar, but never get the courage to purchase,

meeting your heroes and all that.

Here is my Grandfathers watch on its original gold bracelet

A more modern take on the Pie Pan heritage.......

Beautiful watches....

Here's one of mine.

Best wishes,
    Martyn.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by martynw View Post
    Here's one of mine.

Best wishes,
    Martyn.

they are just lovely in good condition, loving this one

Master
    Did all Constellations have the ten sided crown when produced?

i ask this as a large number now seem to have conventional crowns. Omega Service Centre originally returned mine from service with a knurled crown and I returned it requesting that the original ten sided crown be refitted. I understand that this could compromise water resistance but it's only worn on special occasions and certainly no where near water!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by martynw View Post
    Here's one of mine.

Best wishes,
    Martyn.

That looks nice ;-)

i ask this as a large number now seem to have conventional crowns. Omega Service Centre originally returned mine from service with a knurled crown and I returned it requesting that the original ten sided crown be refitted. I understand that this could compromise water resistance but it's only worn on special occasions and certainly no where near water!
    I love the ten sided crown… from what I have researched, not all of them had them originally, but from what you say about the service centre replacing them this might explain why many don't now. When I was searching for mine, I went to the Burlington Arcade Omega boutique… they had a real mixture of normal and ten sided crowns on the Constellations in stock. I tried on a Solid Rose Gold pie-pan while I was there. It was truly stunning and you could feel weight difference to my capped version… but at £6k it was a bit rich for me!

Craftsman

Useful info on crowns 10 sided or otherwise

Desmond is renowned for his vintage Constellation knowledge so I'd read the pdf attached to this page for everything you want to know about connie crowns from '52 to '64
    http://omega-constellation-collector...g-glories.html
    Cheers

Ian

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by brownip View Post
    Desmond is renowned for his vintage Constellation knowledge so I'd read the pdf attached to this page for everything you want to know about connie crowns from '52 to '64
    http://omega-constellation-collector...g-glories.html
    Cheers

Ian
    Thanks, Ian, that was an interesting read.

Master
    The Constellations really have a massive following and the super geeks in terms of detail, detail detail really are amongst the Connie owners.

The speedy owners are following suit but with so many variabtions of pie pan we cannot be far off a 'moonwatch only' type book on pie pans or constellation chronometers

Grand Master
    I`d like a 10-sided crown on my 1962 gold pie-pan; that's the right crown for the watch but it's been replaced at some time.

Sometimes it's possible to replace the rubber O-ring seal on an old crown, restoring the water resistance and allowing the crown to be retained. Omega won`t do this because the seal isn`t supposed to be replaceable. I`ve done it a few times with success, but it doesn`t always work.

Personally, I`d settle for losing the originality and retaining the water resistance; I wouldn`t advise keeping a crown if it didn`t keep the water out. Minimal water resistance is acceptable, but zero isn`t IMO.

I`m surprised Omega don`t make the 10-sided ones available; the 1950s Seamaster crowns are still available and they're an odd shape!

Paul

Master
    I`d like a 10-sided crown on my 1962 gold pie-pan; that's the right crown for the watch but it's been replaced at some time.

Sometimes it's possible to replace the rubber O-ring seal on an old crown, restoring the water resistance and allowing the crown to be retained. Omega won`t do this because the seal isn`t supposed to be replaceable. I`ve done it a few times with success, but it doesn`t always work.

Personally, I`d settle for losing the originality and retaining the water resistance; I wouldn`t advise keeping a crown if it didn`t keep the water out. Minimal water resistance is acceptable, but zero isn`t IMO.

I`m surprised Omega don`t make the 10-sided ones available; the 1950s Seamaster crowns are still available and they're an odd shape!

Paul
    Fully understand your reasoning why you would opt for a non original crown in order to retain the water resistance but, as this was my late father's watch, I wanted to keep it as original as it was when he had it.

As I said, this is only worn on special occasions and I'm very careful to ensure it goes nowhere near water. I imagine it has a little water resistance just not that specified when manufactured.