closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tudor in Goldsmiths, Newcastle - My First Experience of the Pelagos and Black Bay

Quote Originally Posted by CardShark View Post
    There was also no mention of Rolex until I mentioned the link, I got the impression that Rolex wasn't to be spoken of unless asked about, I have no issue with that and agree that the watches stand up without any supporting crutch.
    That's interesting, I had the opposite experience - when I took off my Sub to try on the Pelagos, the assistant noticed it and said, "I see you're in the family already!"

Quote Originally Posted by bitfield View Post
    That's interesting, I had the opposite experience - when I took off my Sub to try on the Pelagos, the assistant noticed it and said, "I see you're in the family already!"
    Which is exactly what was said to me in WoS on Regent Street, when I removed my Explorer 1, to try on the Black Bay blue.

Quote Originally Posted by adzman808 View Post
    Good post! IMVHO would be Omega purchasers are exactly who Tudor are aiming for with the UK re-release
    I really don't think that is the case, It is A way into a lower price point which omega does not compete in. It may affect Tag Heuer, Longines. But hey, ETA make the movements so Swatch group still win...

Quote Originally Posted by Operation Grandslam View Post
    Which is exactly what was said to me in WoS on Regent Street, when I removed my Explorer 1, to try on the Black Bay blue.
    +3 According to the assistant in the AD in Westfield, it's part of the Tudor training :-) must admit I didn't like the blue BB, much preferred the red.

Maybe if you're already wearing a Rolex then the assistants can consider it a legitimate icebreaker. When I first mentioned Rolex when I was trying the Tudors on they were quite happy to talk about the link thereafter however after maybe 15min of prior chat there was no mention. I could have interpreted the situation incorrectly of course in that Rolex can be freely spoken about from the get go

Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    There was a slightly oversimplified, cartoonish quality running through parts of the range, including the enormous Pelagos.
    Just like my Sinn U1. I guess that's why the Pelagos is the only watch that seems to get as much wrist time as the Sinn.

Apprentice
    I've been considering a Pelagos but £2800 odd is a bit on the harsh side but found them for £2350 on iconic watches, if anyone is thinking of splashing the cash.

Craftsman
    I'm going to buy a black bay in blue with my Goldsmith vouchers next month to sell on, unless Iconic drop their price on the BB in the meantime.

Quote Originally Posted by Vita View Post
    I've been considering a Pelagos but £2800 odd is a bit on the harsh side but found them for £2350 on iconic watches, if anyone is thinking of splashing the cash.
    Can be had for less than £2000 on Chrono24

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by worldwidewebs View Post
    Can be had for less than £2000 on Chrono24
    I've just discovered that site but they are abroad for £2k, so would you need to pay import duty then VAT? What % rate do watches come under?

Quote Originally Posted by helmbarrie View Post
    Just seen the advertisement on the back of the Sunday Times magazine for the Tudors. Very interesting that they mention their heritage in dive watches and no mention of Rolex. I would imagine that more than 95% of the people seeing the advert will have no idea of the connection. I would have thought it was useful to include it but Rolex are really the masters of watch marketing and they will certainly know best. To me though they will always be an interesting watch but still a poor man's Rolex. I bet they never release a chronometer version of a Tudor.
    Even without the chronometer branding, Tudor has done a great job regulating the movement in my black Bay...it gains 1.x seconds per day regardless of my wear pattern. Would think they are actually pretty decent for the money.

Quote Originally Posted by steve1975i View Post
    I've just discovered that site but they are abroad for £2k, so would you need to pay import duty then VAT? What % rate do watches come under?
    No, nothing extra to pay as it's already in the EU

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by worldwidewebs View Post
    No, nothing extra to pay as it's already in the EU
    I just looked and there are some sellers in the EU but I was looking at buyers from HK & USA for a Rolex so was curious as to the rate.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by CardShark View Post
    Maybe if you're already wearing a Rolex then the assistants can consider it a legitimate icebreaker. When I first mentioned Rolex when I was trying the Tudors on they were quite happy to talk about the link thereafter however after maybe 15min of prior chat there was no mention. I could have interpreted the situation incorrectly of course in that Rolex can be freely spoken about from the get go
    I was told that they are two different companies now and had the history explained.

Quote Originally Posted by Vita View Post
    +1 for Iconic, fast delivery, great service and £500 off UK retail!

Popped into town today and thought I'd reacquaint myself with Tudor. I do have a bit of a soft spot for the black bay.

The blue one did nothing for me, but I like the red.

FWIW The BB sticker price here is €2860 on a bracelet, I asked for discount and was immediately offered €2550, google tells me that currently the exchange rate is €1.28 to £1, that works out at slightly better than the iconic price, but not so good that you'd hop on a plane to Portugal and still be quids in!

The dealer I went to hadn't got the ranger in yet, also as he told me that from the Tudor range, it's black bays, pelagos and blue THC that sell all day long. His PERSONAL opinion was that no brand was offering anything like the quality of the pelagos for the money, and I must admit I did prefer it the second time round (I'd looked at one before)

Again, FWIW if I was after a Tudor in the UK, I'd probably just ring iconic!