closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: New movement

New movement

Can anyone tell me how to identify which movements will fit into my watch. Is there standard sizing or do I just need to do lots of comparing to find a suitable movement. I have a rotary quartz that was bought for me for my 18th that has stopped working and I would like to get going again.

Blog Entries
    Why not change only the quartz movemen?

Quote Originally Posted by stevencoljames View Post
    Can anyone tell me how to identify which movements will fit into my watch. Is there standard sizing or do I just need to do lots of comparing to find a suitable movement. I have a rotary quartz that was bought for me for my 18th that has stopped working and I would like to get going again.
    Unless it is very old, it's likely that you will be able to buy the same or a compatible movement to drop into your watch. Open it up and look for identifying numbers on the movement.

It's 20 yes old. Opened it up again this morning and I am going to have to get a magnifier. What other tools am I going to need?

Quote Originally Posted by stevencoljames View Post
    It's 20 yes old. Opened it up again this morning and I am going to have to get a magnifier. What other tools am I going to need?
    Once you get the case open, nothing probably.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by barneygumble View Post
    Once you get the case open, nothing probably.
    Well, if planning a DIY movement swap then tools to remove and replace the hands would be needed. For best results it's better to use a proper hand removing tool to get the hands off.

Craftsman
    If you can post a picture of the movement here I'm sure someone will be able to help you identify it if you're not sure. Cousins would be a good starting point to source a replacement as they stock hundreds, from lots of different manufacturers. It always amazes me how cheap some of these quartz movements are. To remove the movement from the case you will first need to remove the stem. There is usually a hole or very small lever somewhere on the back of the movement near the crown and this needs to be gently depressed to release the stem. Sometimes these are even marked with a small arrow. There are dedicated little tools available for doing this but the end of a paper clip or a pin can sometimes do the trick. Again, if you can post a picture, someone here can probably help.

Once you have the movement removed then, as has already been stated, a hand removal tool would be helpful and they can be picked up pretty cheaply. If you'd rather not bother then *gentle* levering with a sharpened tooth pick or similar can also work. In my (limited) experience the biggest risk is scratching the dial so placing/holding a small piece of cellophane over the dial and underneath your chosen implement will help limit this risk. Also, keeping a finger resting gently on top of the hands while removing them can prevent them from pinging off and getting lost. Good luck and let us know how you get on.