closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Some reflections and a SOTC

Craftsman

Some reflections and a SOTC

A bit of reflection of late…

I had a look at the stats pages the other day and realise that I've been a member for over four years now (however I don't tend to participate very actively in the discussions). I have however done an awful lot of reading in the that time and benefitted greatly from those far more knowledgable than me. I've also been very grateful to have purchased 3 watches directly from sales corner in that time and another from a member here but via a sales post on another forum. Numerous straps from Eddie too. Perhaps its time I write a bit more than "nice watch, congratulations".

Also over recent months I have been considering why I am collecting watches - or indeed if I am actually collecting watches or simply buying watches. I don't know if there is or needs to be a distinction (and generally one can't collect without indeed buying)… but I guess what I'm trying to say is that I have bought quite a few watches based on liking them for a broad range of reasons, but its all a bit directionless - not necessarily a problem… but I'm starting to feel I could do better.

So, I thought I would focus a bit more on what interests me and try and learn more. So, for the time being at least I am going to focus on vintage Heuer… quite popular these days, but I have always enjoyed the brand and I am passionate about motorsports… the timekeeping connections really interest me... and also the marketing (I work in Marketing)…so reading Jack Heuer's autobiography and reading articles on "on the dash" is something I've really enjoyed. I bought Arno Haslinger's book several years ago and revisited that and also was lucky enough to be able to order Richard Crosthwaite's two vintage Heuer books (I believe they are now "closed" on blurb as he intends them to be limited).

I feel really good about this and am looking forward to the coming years and trying to build up a focussed collection. For now, this is where things stand in the main watch box…

Carrera 1153 - this one is pretty much mint condition... bought via a WTB on here

Autavia 1163 Viceroy - this one is bit more worn, but I like the fact I can worry less about adding a first mark... via Chronotrader

Tag Heuer F1 - this was my first "proper watch"... a treat to myself some years back
    Sinn 556 - I know, I know… but there is an exception to every rule... i LOVE it… in fact, despite the above, if I had to sell all but one watches this is the one I would keep… i do feel it does everything… in my eyes it is very special

Up next - I am searching for the "barrel cased" Carrera with the blue CDG dial… 150.573B… I suppose a Monaco will remain out of my league for some time but it is on the list… I would like a 60's Carrera, possibly a Monza, a GMT Autavia… we will see how it goes.

So then are the secondary watches which will probably move on to better homes at a later stage in order to help build up a fund for the next Heuer.

A good "beater" Tag - love the colour

A Dynamic i bought from SC

A UG Polerouter (also from SC)

A fun Citizen ana-digi

A Mudman - super tough!

A LE 5600 with screw back "Spike Lee"

I hope someone might find this post mildly interesting… appreciate its nothing ground breaking and my photos are not to the standard of LTF or Jocke etc, but "what the hell"… finally, thanks everyone for making this forum a nice place to be and Eddie for providing it!

Kind regards
    Steve

Lovely Heuers. I still haven't managed to get myself a Carrera, is that a Giuliano strap?

Craftsman
    Thanks. Yes it is. I've just ordered another with red stitch for the Autavia...he is such a decent guy to deal with...have been sending emails to him today... Love his work.

Lovely - I'm particularly keen on the Carrera and Polerouter, but I love that ana-digi too. You should post more often.

Craftsman
    Thanks Tony
    The ana-digi is kind of fun but one thing drove me crazy - The seconds hand kept going out of sync with the digital seconds - I suppose they are unlinked - so I opened it up and took it off....so now no OCD issues! It also makes it more like the aerospace ;) (if you are in a dark room with your eyes closed!)

Master
    Great collection I particularly like the polerouter and the mudman.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Nice polerouter :D

Journeyman
    I love the Heuers, the UG and the 5600. Congratulations.
    BTW current Certina DS1 looks like the UG

Nice collection Steve, my fave has to be that Carrera in fab condition. I hope to get one, one day, maybe as a birth year watch.

I'm a heuer fan, just love yours

Craftsman
    Thanks Thorien
    Yes I am very pleased with that one. It's one of the earlier ones as it has the cal 11i movement, the 3-6-9-12 marked hour recorder, and the earlier tachy scale as on the Chronomatic variant....this is how I understand it anyway. It really is like new too.