closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Apple iOS 8 Update

The only town in Britain with Caesar's name

Apple iOS 8 Update

iOS is being released today ahead of the iPhone 6 should any want to try it.

B

Quote Originally Posted by bomberman View Post
    iOS is being released today ahead of the iPhone 6 should any want to try it.

B
    Not til 6pm in the UK before anyone spends the afternoon jabbing at the update button...

And for jailbreakers... now is the last chance to upgrade to 7.1.2 if you haven't already. After IOS8 launch Apple usually closes down signing of the previous version an hour or so later.

Master
    It isn't as quick as that, I seem to recall it's only a matter of weeks that it's still available for.

Been running it for about a week.

Runs great on my 5S, with a pleasing boost to battery life. Runs poorly on my iPad mini, slow and buggy.

YMMV.

Master
    Don't get too excited.
    I've been running it for a few days and the changes are minimal.
    Handoff is quite cool, but other than that - meh!
    i may be imagining it, but battery life seems worse on my 5.

Quote Originally Posted by Cynar View Post
    Don't get too excited.
    Best feature IMO is the automatic tethering, which renders iPads with cellular redundant. Works brilliantly.

Don't get too excited.
    Is that possible? I've just managed to get my 5s swapped by Apple because of cr@p battery life, while
    I was there the genius admitted they were swapping about 20-25 iPhone 5s's a hour for this issue. But there isn't a design/build issue :-)

Quote Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
    It isn't as quick as that, I seem to recall it's only a matter of weeks that it's still available for.
    I remember it being much shorter than that - hours or days, but I could be wrong....

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Seamaster73 View Post
    Best feature IMO is the automatic tethering, which renders iPads with cellular redundant. Works brilliantly.
    I've always been able to tether mine to my iPhone.
    when you say automatic, I take it you still need to turn on the personal hotspot on the phone?
    if so, not really that automatic.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by occamsrazor View Post
    I remember it being much shorter than that - hours or days, but I could be wrong....
    You're right, according to this – http://theiphonewiki.com/wiki/SHSH

Looking at iPhone 5 going from iOS6 to 7, there was only a two-day window during which upgrading to or restoring the last revision would've been successful.

Craftsman
    Is there any interesting changes?

Quote Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
    You're right, according to this – http://theiphonewiki.com/wiki/SHSH

Looking at iPhone 5 going from iOS6 to 7, there was only a two-day window during which upgrading to or restoring the last revision would've been successful.
    I was on 7.0.4 and am hoping that a JB comes out quickly for IOS8 as it contains some nice new features, although to be honest I'm not that confident it will come all that soon. Therefore just in case I've just upgraded to 7.1.2 and re-jailbroke my device.

Been wondering when it will be live to download. I wonder if the usual download issues will be there same as last time

Not yet. The cellular versions are the only ones with a GPS capability and, therefore, to some it's a key feature.

I've always been able to tether mine to my iPhone. when you say automatic, I take it you still need to turn on the personal hotspot on the phone? if so, not really that automatic.
    Er, no, that's the point. You don't have to turn on the personal hotspot on the phone. It's automatic.

Google iOS8 Instant Hotspot for the details.

iOS 8 is available on my iPad now - download is on!

Just checked and can confirm it is available here too

Edit...Keeps failing
    Last edited by itsgotournameonit; 17th September 2014 at 18:07.

Master
    "Unable to check for update" box just keeps coming up :-(

Update is Downloading... here

Quote Originally Posted by SeePee View Post

Got that message on my phone but download keeps failing on the Ipad.

Quote Originally Posted by SeePee View Post
    I had this, as soon as I connected my phone to the Mac and did an update via iTunes it started downloading.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by robcuk View Post
    Is that possible? I've just managed to get my 5s swapped by Apple because of cr@p battery life, while
    I was there the genius admitted they were swapping about 20-25 iPhone 5s's a hour for this issue. But there isn't a design/build issue :-)
    Thats interesting, my 5s was terrible and seem to loose battery performance overnight. I took it to the store in Bath and they ran a battery diagnostic on it, resulting in a so called perfect battery. They re set the firmware and sent me on my way. Problem not sorted and was due to take it back. Some scrote stole it though last week on holiday.

Master
    My iphone 5 is updated. Had a I wonder if has bricked moment but it recovered. Seem to have a swathe of apps to update now. Whatsapp pre-update for a start just bombs out when I try to read a group. The updated version is fine in that regards

updated an iPad Air here - took a couple of hours (along with the rest of the world)
    I can confirm that tzuk still works!

Quote Originally Posted by Middo View Post
    Thats interesting, my 5s was terrible and seem to loose battery performance overnight. I took it to the store in Bath and they ran a battery diagnostic on it, resulting in a so called perfect battery. They re set the firmware and sent me on my way. Problem not sorted and was due to take it back. Some scrote stole it though last week on holiday.
    Ahh, I hAd to lay it on a bit, it gets really hot, crap wifi etc
    Oh, of course I've reloaded everything, and set the profile up from scratch :-)

After 45 minutes I was given a recon phone as mine is 11.5 month old.
    TBH, not much better

Well set it up on my iPad tonight and I think it's fine. I think the time lapse is a cool feature on the camera and like the different keypads.....so far so good 😃

So, 1 hr in and the iPad update is at 230MB of 1.8GB, whilst the iPhone one is trailing at 147MB of 1.97GB.

And in case you think it's my t'internet connection, here's a speedtest I did whilst both downloads are running:

Last edited by robcuk; 17th September 2014 at 23:18. Reason: typo

Both Ipad and Iphone now upgraded.One thing I have noticed is that the two have now synchronised.Where before they would share Apps but they would operate independently.

Master
    New feature Siri linked to Shazam

Siri - "What song is playing". Answer - "If you close your eyes, it almost feels like this is "Pompeii" by Bastille"

Lol I like the way that answer is presented

IPad Air updated last night

haven't used it much yet, except for Safari which is more like android now

just noticed the new predictive text whilst typing this... That's very android like too, except most of the words its suggesting don't exist!

The amount of times my iPhone rings but I'm on the iPad is amazing especially in the evening so was looking forward to the "continuity" between the 2 but you have to have 4th generation iPad or later for it to work.bugger😰

Just updated my 5. Did a backup just in case, and copied all of my pics on to an external hard drive. Took about 20-25 mins.
    F.T.F.A.

Craftsman
    Just installed a 3rd party keyboard with swype functionality - nice improvement, though it will take a while to get used to. I tried to send an SMS from my iPad last night, but that didn't work. I am looking forward to installing OSX Yosemite to see if that makes any difference.

Apple are - very slowly - chipping away at the reasons one might want to jailbreak, rather than just concentrating on stopping people outright.

I think the extensibility stuff could make a nice difference, just a bit further down the road. When apps start using the touch ID to authenticate rather than passwords, it'll be great. This mainly feels like a lot of "under the hood" improvements. The benefits may take a while to become evident as it's up to app developers to make the most of them. iOS7 was a big change in the UI, so iOS8 was probably always going to feel like less of a change.

Craftsman
    Not noticed any major differences but video playback on YouTube etc is now a little choppy and the scrubbing is no where near as good as it was before.

Cut and paste in Safari is completely bollocksed on my iPad mini, but I suspect that's because, like the iPad 2, it's barely adequate to run it.

If you recall there was a major .1 update very shortly after iOS7 was released that hoovered up a shedload of bugs. Fingers crossed the same will be the case for iOS8.

Er, no, that's the point. You don't have to turn on the personal hotspot on the phone. It's automatic.

Google iOS8 Instant Hotspot for the details.
    I prefer to manually turn on my hotspot.

My iPad just took a phone call that came through on my iPhone! What's that all about and how can I stop it?

Master
    Just updated and my phone signal in the house has gone from two bars to none. Not impressed.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    My iPad just took a phone call that came through on my iPhone! What's that all about and how can I stop it?
    Settings, facetime turn iphone cellular calling off.

Quote Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
    Settings, facetime turn iphone cellular calling off.
    Appreciated, thank you.

I updated my iPad 4, did it whilst connected to the pc and all in took about half an hour. not much difference but it has used up about 1gb more of my storage, before the update I had 4.3gb available, now I only have 3.3gb. not happy with that as its only the 16gb ipad.

That's tech. When I had an HTC Desire it couldn't take the next version of Android at all (Froyo IIRC) because it lacked sufficient memory.
    Given that memory chips used in these machines are commodities, sold as such, and cost under $10 per 16GB - the last time I read - it's a, astonishing they don't fit more, and b, it costs so much to buy a model with 32 or 64GB RAM.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mungosdad View Post
    I updated my iPad 4, did it whilst connected to the pc and all in took about half an hour. not much difference but it has used up about 1gb more of my storage, before the update I had 4.3gb available, now I only have 3.3gb. not happy with that as its only the 16gb ipad.
    I had to delete loads of stuff on my ipad to enable the upgrade to happen, maybe 1gb worth. Photos, videos, apps, mail, took me a fair while to sort it out and clean up the ipad.

Quote Originally Posted by mungosdad View Post
    It looks like you are not alone http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-29251961 Haven't upgraded yet.

There's an easy solution — update via iTunes rather than OTA.

Craftsman
    There's an easy solution — update via iTunes rather than OTA.
    The actual OS could still require a more space, so downloading to your computer first may not totally resolve this problem.

It does in most cases.

Journeyman
    Is it any quicker than the previous software?

Master
    I don't think it is. In fact I'm having a few issues with the browser, it seems incredibly slow and getting the message the server has stopped sometimes. Plus I've got app updates that aren't updating. Give me android any day. Next one I buy will be a Samsung tablet similar to my Galaxy phone