closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: LED lights for shelves - ideas/suggestions

Master

LED lights for shelves - ideas/suggestions

Hi

We are getting some built-in shelves made for our house - quite slim and mainly to put photos, the odd ornament etc. They will be finished in white and be quite modern/minimal in style.

The carpenter will leave the lights to us but make sure that whatever we choose can be fitted and operated easily. So I've had a quick look at some options and came across various LED strips - some are like ribbons - which seem like they could do the trick.

Haven't quite worked out where and how long we want the lights to be, but they will need to be ones that can just be plugged in as opposed to anything else (there is a plug socket at the bottom of the wall where the shelves will be).

For example, I've looked at this - http://www.ledlightszone.co.uk/led-t...72w-30pcs.html

Don't mind different colours of whites as long as they are white as well. Will end up illuminating the shelves and also act as a lamp for that end of the room.

Am also thinking of using a profile of some kind to hold the light strip in place. Will try and share some images of the shelves when I can.

Any thoughts/ideas?

Cheers

Craftsman
    I have bought several cheap LED strips from IKEA and eBay and all have been great. Some come on an adhesive tape which was handy and you can cut them to length to a certain extent.

The colour changing remote control ones are fun, although the colour is made up of switching various individual coloured LED's on and off so that the wash effect is changed so they aren't as bright as the warm white ones I have.

Personally I am of the cheap and cheerful variety and wouldn't spend a lot of money on them although I'm sure others have a very different view.

Phillips Hue system is great, I have this at home, you can buy a strip/ribbon of lights and then cut it to size if you need to, plus bulbs for lamps. The Software to control colour and brightness is a free App for your phone or tablet. Its really superb, I have it in several rooms, the best App is the Goldee one (also free) and you can create different scenes that are also active. It can all be automated as well

Have a look on you tube, there are several examples of people using the strip lights creatively in book shelves etc

Just search for this kind of stuff on ebay - there will be thousands on offer, all with BuyItNow, all different types and colours, all from wholsalers.

I bought all our household LED lighting through ebay, including under-shelf lighting, cabinet lighting etc.

Have fitted the strip LED lighting to a kitchen I'm currently installing. The doors and end panels overhand the cabinets by 15mm so the lights themselves sent visible. I think there is almost 10metres of lighting running from 2 transformers. I bought them from a trade supplier but they will be very similar to those on eBay

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MattMoore View Post
    Have fitted the strip LED lighting to a kitchen I'm currently installing. The doors and end panels overhand the cabinets by 15mm so the lights themselves sent visible. I think there is almost 10metres of lighting running from 2 transformers. I bought them from a trade supplier but they will be very similar to those on eBay

That's the kind of thing I'm after! Whats the spec of the ones you've used?

I haven't got the info with me but they are from Hafele, the 12v loox system. I will have a look later for the parts etc I've used

Master
    We use www.ultraleds.co.uk and have always found them helpful, Give them a call if you want more info as can be a midfield working through some of these websites.

Craftsman
    I've used ebay, often too much choice and the quality can be hard to determine.

If I want dependable stuff for the home I use one of the electrical distributors like QVS.

I was just investigating this myself earlier- how weird is that? But I was thinking glass shelving so the edge glows. Anyone got any pointers please?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony-GB View Post
    I was just investigating this myself earlier- how weird is that? But I was thinking glass shelving so the edge glows. Anyone got any pointers please?
    Search ebay for illuminated shelving or LED shelving, that will get you an idea of what is available. Then check people like QVS to determine the going rate, if the stuff on ebay is a lot cheaper then the spec is probably being skimped somewhere.

We use Ikea for all of our led lights in our home.

It's much more convenient and safer than using eBay plus they work very well and are reasonably priced.

I'm another Philips Hue acolyte. Absolutely superb lighting, adaptable, programmable and addictive!

My only criticism of the ribbon lights is that if you have to cut them to size, the piece that you've cut off is then unusable and you have to throw it away.
    Otherwise, I recommend it.

Quote Originally Posted by NJHawkins View Post
    Search ebay for illuminated shelving or LED shelving, that will get you an idea of what is available. Then check people like QVS to determine the going rate, if the stuff on ebay is a lot cheaper then the spec is probably being skimped somewhere.
    Thanks for the info.