closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Nearly killed a Mamil this morning

Master

Nearly killed a Mamil this morning

<censored>!!!

In a queue of cars waiting to pass a bin lorry. We've all got our indicators on. A couple of cars get past each time a gap appears in the oncoming traffic. Comes my turn. Quick glance in the mirror. Start to nip out. Next thing there's this <censored> mamil just about 3 inches from my door mirror overtaking me whilst I'm pulling out!!

And they complain saying that car drivers aren't fair with them!! If I'd have knocked him off it's me that would have been branded the bad guy.

Sorry.... a bit angry at the moment. :-(

I'm guessing you didn't shoulder check?

Do you think you'd have passed your driving test if you drove like that?

Master
    Probably a bit shaken up as well.
    Where I live, it's not the middle aged ones in fancy clothes that's the danger, it's the octogenarians (or older) who don't bother looking when they pull out, but assume you will see them and take avoiding action. Mayby it's a Darwinian thing. On the plus side, at least they are generally in front, not sneaking up behind.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Your at fault for not checking it's clear to pull out, that's what a shoulder check is for!!!!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by guinea View Post

One thing you learn on your driving test is you do NOT overtake a vehicle which is in the process of overtaking another. I don't care if you're in a car or on a cycle.... you don't do that!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by guinea View Post

Quote Originally Posted by solwisesteve View Post
    One thing you learn on your driving test is you do NOT overtake a vehicle which is in the process of overtaking another. I don't care if you're in a car or on a cycle.... you don't do that!
    I had to look up ‘Mamil’, so poor thread to start with and what’s all this <censored> tosh?

Get with it OP!

Anyway, how do you know the cyclist has a driving licence and accordingly understands the rules of overtaking?

All should be banned on the roads between the hours of 7am and 7pm, but still, no excuse for a crap thread

Regardless of who's right and who's wrong... The cyclist should have waited. What's the point of being right once you lie on the pavement with your skull broken open?

You´d think the bloke on the bike who´s got most to lose would exercise a little self preservation and not try to pass another vehicle in the process of overtaking.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by burnsey66 View Post
    I had to look up ‘Mamil’, so poor thread to start with and what’s all this <censored> tosh?

Get with it OP!

Anyway, how do you know the cyclist has a driving licence and accordingly understands the rules of overtaking?

All should be banned on the roads between the hours of 7am and 7pm, but still, no excuse for a crap thread
    Agreed!

Master
    Cyclist might be dumb but OP would have been at fault for executing an unsafe manoeuvre. Indicators do not give you a right to do a manoeuvre it is a signal of intent. The cyclist was already overtaking.

Never heard of a MAMIL before just googled it.
    They are bloody annoying, no regard for the highway code at all.
    Having said that, you should have shoulder checked though, no good just looking in the mirror.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dazzler View Post
    Cyclist might be dumb but OP would have been at fault for executing an unsafe manoeuvre. Indicators do not give you a right to do a manoeuvre it is a signal of intent. The cyclist was already overtaking.

This.

Also who is to say what's coming up, runaway horse?, police car, etc.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    My car has radar in the door mirrors to detect anything in the blind spot. Quite a good invention for saving cyclists from injury and me from a crick neck.

Quote Originally Posted by java View Post
    My car has radar in the door mirrors to detect anything in the blind spot. Quite a good invention for saving cyclists from injury and me from a crick neck.
    Good idea, however I wouldn't rely on just the technology, always check. Anything could happen, blown fuse, faulty circuit etc etc.

Master
    OP definitely at fault as you just always always check your mirror/shoulder to make sure that a cyclist isn't coming past.

Quote Originally Posted by andy armitage View Post
    OP definitely at fault as you just always always check your mirror/shoulder to make sure that a cyclist isn't coming past.
    They both are.

Old bloke on a bike.

Sure you're fed up and maybe shook up a little, anyhow no one actually got hurt and you've had a bit of a spew on here, in future OP please make the thread title a bit less strange.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    They both are.
    That really goes without saying though doesn't it!!!!!!!!

Master
    I smashed up a pheasant with my Defender this morning. :(

(not deliberately).

Master
    I've calmed down now.... 2 espressos...

Sorry if I offended.

Okay... maybe I should have made a more exaggerated attempt to look over my shoulder but when a bike's coming up the outside at 20mph it's only a few seconds between road clear and bike at your drivers door. I did look but when you're overtaking a stationary vehicle and you're tying to slot into gaps in oncoming traffic I'm tending to look more to the front and, obviously naively, assume that no one would try and get past me when they can see what's going on.

I understand that cyclists hate to loose momentum and backing off is the last thing they want to do but, in rush hour traffic, there has to be a bit of thought given as to what other road users are doing.

Banned
    Dont think anyone is offended - as already acknowledged by you, both parties were at fault here. At least you indicated and looked; I filter through lots of traffic most mornings and there are so many people who just whip out as soon as a gap appears, often without indicating at all. Its infuriating (and slows me down a lot as I need to keep the speed to where i can stop at very short notice.)

There are plenty morons on two wheels and four and two legs as well - mutuial respect for each other in what is a shared space!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh B View Post
    There are plenty morons on two wheels and four and two legs as well - mutuial respect for each other in what is a shared space!
    Very much this ^^

Being a cyclist on the road I think you have to anticipate you're going to get wiped out with a maneuver like this. Despite the fact the driver should have checked his shoulder you need to assume he has not.
    Last edited by Petewon; 17th September 2014 at 11:12.

Its infuriating (and slows me down a lot as I need to keep the speed to where i can stop at very short notice.)
    Don't understand this - you can only stop quickly if travelling fast?

Banned
    Don't understand this - you can only stop quickly if travelling fast?
    No. I said : and slows me down a lot as I need to keep the speed to where i can stop at very short notice which means that when filtering I need to drop my speed to a much slower pace so i can stop at short notice or take evasive action if some yokel suddenly whips out into my path. Can't see that I was not clear the first time round?

Grand Master
    I'm gonna have a ships horn fitted in my car that should keep em away with a quick toot.

Paul

ps:- search you tube for ships/Train horn in car,so funny.
    Last edited by P9CLY; 17th September 2014 at 11:08.

Quote Originally Posted by Petewon View Post
    Very much this ^^

Being a cyclist on the road I think you have to anticipate your'e going to get wiped out with a manouver like this. Despite the fact the driver should have checked his shoulder you need to assume he has not.
    Thats right. When I think about how boats/jetskis,etc and swimmers are kept well apart on beaches I think that (in an ideal world) cars and bikes should be kept well apart in cities. Obviously that would require a big spend so until our money stops being wasted on political process instead, all road users need to be very careful, but accidents will happen. The aggression that one sees on both "sides" really cant be helpful. I think the motorcycle "life saver" should be part of learning to drive a car.
    Anyway, glad OP is ok. I've had several of these types of near miss and thinking about what might have been gives me cold chills.

No. I said : and slows me down a lot as I need to keep the speed to where i can stop at very short notice which means that when filtering I need to drop my speed to a much slower pace so i can stop at short notice or take evasive action if some yokel suddenly whips out into my path. Can't see that I was not clear the first time round?
    No, sorry wasn't clear to me what slows you down (people whipping out or having to filter).

Banned
    Let’s hope the cyclist wasn’t a spelling teacher.

He will be loosing his mind

Quote Originally Posted by P9CLY View Post
    I'm gonna have a ships horn fitted in my car that should keep me away with a quick toot.

Paul

ps:- search you tube for ships/Train horn in car,so funny.
    With a side order of these?

More importantly, was he wearing a helmet?

Banned
    No, sorry wasn't clear to me what slows you down (people whipping out or having to filter).
    filtering is always slower than the open road. the path is narrow and one needs to try expect the unexpected.

Well it was obvious to me what he meant!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Well it was obvious to me what he meant!
    Well done!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by scottbombedout View Post
    More importantly, was he wearing a helmet?
    Who the bloke this morning? Oh yes full gear. Helmet, lycra, shaven legs, the lot ;-)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by solwisesteve View Post
    Who the bloke this morning? Oh yes full gear. Helmet, lycra, shaven legs, the lot ;-)
    Thought I'd introduce a litlle humour....
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mamils?

Spelling teachers?

Is this all in code? I feel like Im in a 1970's gay disco again

Master
    "Quick glance in the mirror"

Maybe a longer glance in the mirror next time would be safer. Cyclists are vulnerable at the best of times. I hate cycling on roads these days its bloody treacherous.

It sounds like the cyclist put himself in danger, as the OP says, approaching on the right, level with his car at the front of the queue, who would undoubtedly try to nip round the obstruction at the merest hint of a gap. If the cyclist could see a gap in the oncoming traffic (and he probably had a better view than the driver) he should have hung back, let the first car in the queue go and then safely proceed.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by oldandgrumpy View Post
    It sounds like the cyclist put himself in danger, as the OP says, approaching on the right, level with his car at the front of the queue, who would undoubtedly try to nip round the obstruction at the merest hint of a gap. If the cyclist could see a gap in the oncoming traffic (and he probably had a better view than the driver) he should have hung back, let the first car in the queue go and then safely proceed.
    I'd agree. I cycle and to do that at 20mph on a bike is stupid (20mph on a Nike is pretty fast!)