closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Constellation Pie Pan: one special special watch just had STS spa treatment

Master

Constellation Pie Pan: one special special watch just had STS spa treatment

Hi chap

Had to share this one with you, its a bit of a saga! A while back I decided I wanted a new dress watch and fancied a pie pan, so I found a lovely one on flea bay, exhibit A:

It was all original but not running and needed some TLC but was a great price and from a seller with 20000 feedback all 100% positive...... what could go wrong??

I waited, and waited............................. and waited, the watch never arrived!

Seller had great feedback and said it must have been lost in the post so refunded me without a quibble, I was gutted but at least I go my money back!

Roll on over 6 weeks............................

Out of the blue mid august I got a mail to say it had been returned to her and was I still interested??????? Does a bear poo in the woods??? so I snapped it up again and it finally arrived and was promptly sent to Swiss Time Services vintage restoration department, today I got an update from them (I really do love their customer service)

They say a picture says 1000 words (or something like that)

Case refinish with original bracelet re fitted, Note the NOS replacement crown, which is like rocking horse poo for those of you who know pie pans! ;-)

Movement is a beauty, its been completely stripped, rebuilt and is quite frankly perfect

And finally the money shot, check out that dial and hands combo, all original and never refinished

I've got a few pieces due back from STS and Swisstec (MQ2.4) in 3-4 weeks and am waiting with baited breath on the return of my Speedmaster 105-003-65 from Bienne (see my previous posts re Swatch UK), so hopefully some great write-ups on those to follow, but for now I am a happy boy!

Cheers Tom
    Last edited by dickstar1977; 18th September 2014 at 09:03.

That looks fantastic. Would you mind if I asked how much it cost to restore?

Craftsman
    You really can't knock these Constellations. A superb movement that is not only very accurate, but robust and simple to service. The case design is a classic and the PiePan dials are lovely, creating a fantastic gentlemens watch in a sensible size.

Looks like this ones scrubbed up really well, not that it looked too shabby in the original pics.

I'd be very happy with that Tom!

Grand Master
    Nice one Tom, you should be a happy boy with this beauty!

I`ve got an original black-dialled one that's still awaiting restoration; I bought it for my own collection and I really need to crack on with it. Seeing this has spurred me on.

Where did the bracelet for this one come from? I was thinking of sourcing one but decided to buy a new replacement from Watchco. Ideally I would've preferred an original but good ones are hard to find.

The correct crown is a nice touch too; my watch is a later one that didn`t have this from new.......at least it's easier to replace!

Paul

Master
    Thanks chaps

You know me, my preference is big lumps from the 70's but I do have a secret passion for the more subtle omegas, I am eagerly awaiting the return of my 105.003 from Swatch, my Speedy 125 (which was a right mess with rust) and my hyper rare cal 28.9 chronograph too!

The service was £415 inc VAT but worth every single penny! They have done a great job and it's going to make a great addition to my collection as a daily dress watch!
    Last edited by dickstar1977; 18th September 2014 at 08:41.

Lovely! And that movement is great to look at - in such good nick...

Hope you'll be alternating this between the bracelet and a strap/s - far too versatile a watch not to.

The pie-pan Constellation is, IMO, the greatest dress watch design ever.

Master
    Thanks chaps, yep I must admit it isn't my usual fare but I am thrilled with it

Bravo, really nice job, STS are wonderful IMHO.

David

Master
    Yep, I must admit I am really pleased with the results and its great that they can continue to work on some of the rarer vintage through Swisstec, that said I am also really looking forward to seeing the results Swatch can produce on my very original but tired 105.003-65, which is due back (fingers crossed) in the next few weeks. I've been keen to test drive the factory's work again so am looking forward to seeing how they've got on with my watch, I had specified originality to be maintained so fingers crossed ;-)

Looking at swatches new automated tracking system it looks like my repair is in progress and I can expect it back around the 21.10.14

Watch this space, in the mean time I'm loving the Connie, it's even taken over wrist time from it's younger brother my Constellation Marine Chronometer
    Last edited by dickstar1977; 18th September 2014 at 08:42.

Beautiful example, congratulations.

Journeyman

Omega's

Nice piece, I have one some where.
    Hopefully you will ditch the bracelet, mine has its original rice link bracelet one.
    Omega seam to be reproducing a lot of the older type watch's, I see ther have remade the seamaster.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dickstar1977 View Post
    Yep, I must admit I am really pleased with the results and its great that they can continue to work on the vintage stuff through Swisstec, that said I am also really looking forward to seeing the results Swatch can produce on my very original but tired 105.003-65, which is due back (fingers crossed) in the next few weeks. I've been keen to test drive the factory's work again so am looking forward to seeing how they've got on with my watch, I had specified originality to be maintained so fingers crossed ;-)

Looking at swatches new automated tracking system it looks like my repair is in progress and I can expect it back around the 21.10.14

Watch this space, in the mean time I'm loving the Connie, it's even taken over wrist time from it's younger brother my Constellation Marine Chronometer
    Omega Service Centre did a cracking job with my 1964 Constellation so I'm sure you will be happy when you get yours back.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JeremyO View Post
    Omega Service Centre did a cracking job with my 1964 Constellation so I'm sure you will be happy when you get yours back.
    Thanks Jeremy

The Connie has been through STS , the Speedy 105.003-65 is at Omega Bienne, its a big test for me using Bienne so I've really got my fingers crossed for a good result. So far there coms have been great so hopefully the end results will be superb
    Last edited by dickstar1977; 18th September 2014 at 08:43.

Lovely watch and nice work by Swisstec. I'm off there in a couple of weeks to collect some watches, can't wait!

Gorgeous. Always loved these. Congrats.

Master
    Thanks all, wrist shot to follow

Thanks for sharing that experience Tom, it really is a good looking example.

Some years ago with a view to picking up a Constellation I started reading up on the Constellation models in the articles which Desmond Guilfoyle helpfully published in 2007, omega -constellation-blogspot.com.
    The more I read the more convinced I became that I needed to do a lot more looking before I felt confident that I could distinguish between a good one and the other, which put me off rushing out and buying one. You are lucky in finding one which has a dial in such good condition, since many I`ve seen have had dials with "spotting", and worse.

Now that I`ve seen what a good one looks like when restored , I`ll pick up my loupe and venture forth.

Jim

Master
    Today really didn't get off to good start (I won't go in to details but I wasn't a happy bunny this AM) and it continued to go down hill rapidly with one thing after another throughout the course of the morning, the promise of it finishing with a 3 hours (daily) round trip to visit my dad in the stroke unit at Scunthorpe hospital nigh on finished me off!

I popped home to swap car a couple of hours ago and my day instantly brighten when I opened the post and found this

Today really didn't get off to good start (I won't go in to details but I wasn't a happy bunny this AM) and it continued to go down hill rapidly with one thing after another throughout the course of the morning, the promise of it finishing with a 3 hours (daily) round trip to visit my dad in the stroke unit at Scunthorpe hospital nigh on finished me off!

I popped home to swap car a couple of hours ago and my day instantly brighten when I opened the post and found this

Hi Tom

Hope your Father gets well really soon....Watch is lovely too !

Take care....

Best - Neil

Master
    Thanks mate

Just landed back at home with minutes to go before Rufus goes to bed! nicely done! The watch is a stunner and so nice in the flesh, my usual fare is the cool stuff from the 70's but I must admit the 1961 17mil serial beauty is turning me to the dark side!

Hopefully see you soon

Cheers Tom

Tom (and anyone else who can contribute)

Can you educate me a little about the pie-pan Constellation models, please? What year and case reference is yours? Are there any good sites to browse. Thanks for any help you can give me.

All the best,

Bob

Master
    Bob

The best source of reference would be Desmonds site http://omega-constellation-collectors.blogspot.co.uk

There are so many variations, model subtleties and this is the one area of omega collecting (other than Speedmaster) which has the same mentality as the Rolex collectors in respect of the truly anal nature of some people that own them! Fundamentally pie-pans were omegas top of the line dress watch as the brands constellation chronometer, they came in a variation of dials and case executions but were all 'dress' watches and all represented the very top end of omegas manufacturing, there are examples of pie -pans that are worth many thousands of pounds.

Have a read of Desmonds site, there is some super information on it! The beauty of most of these watches lies on the inside, but I must admit wearing it, even 53 years on it feels like a very expensive watch

Cheers Tom

Master

Cool

Lovely watch,nice crisp pie pan lines.

Master
    I can't get used to these mechanical watches! I'm used to accuracy of 1 second per month (my marine chronometer), I've been keeping an eye on this old bird and it's total variation of 4 days is 6 seconds on the wrist!! Not bad for a automatic chronometer I guess ha ha ha ;-)

In all seriousness that some pretty impressive for 52 year old automatic watch!

Journeyman
    That's a beauty Tom. Best wishes for your fathers speedy recovery
    Phil

Actually, now that I think of it, when STS serviced my identical Pie-pan a few months ago I was told they had NO original crown to fit to it, offering a circular one or to leave the old crown in place. I wonder what was going on there.

That's beautiful! I have a lot of respect for collectors who rescue and restore vintage pieces such as this!
    Last edited by Lammylee; 21st September 2014 at 20:27.

Journeyman
    That is a very nice looking watch. I would have jumped on it if I saw it on ebay.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by barneygumble View Post
    Actually, now that I think of it, when STS serviced my identical Pie-pan a few months ago I was told they had NO original crown to fit to it, offering a circular one or to leave the old crown in place. I wonder what was going on there.
    Ah ha, thats because I trawled ebay for 5 days to find the crown and finally hunted it down in belgium

Craftsman
    Great story and a lovely result!

Ah ha, thats because I trawled ebay for 5 days to find the crown and finally hunted it down in belgium
    Belgium? Christ!!

*runs off to check for missing crown*

Master
    I know, its got to be 'right' for me and i've fancied adding a pie pan to the collection and debated for ages about 18K or SS, I went with SS and the way the dial on this has aged to a champagne gold but makes it, worth hunting down the crown and the original 1503 and number 15 end links (another ebay buy) the bracelet was a mess when it went to STS and they really did do a cracking job on it

Nice...

Very nice Tom, the pie pan is certainly a classic, and considered by many to be the nicest Omega ever made. what's the reference on yours?

Craftsman

Cool

Congrats, it's a beautiful result. Love the bracelet. It is my favorite dress watch.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim M View Post
    Congrats, it's a beautiful result. Love the bracelet. It is my favorite dress watch.

Thanks Jim

The bracelet is back at STS at the moment, I fell down a stone spiral staircase yesterday at work (I work in a victorian mill which is converted in to a college) and went down on my wrist, nasty bruise but the bracelet came off my wrist in pieces, thankfully the watch is still perfect, as usually phoned STS and they said: 'no problem just send it down and we will sort it for you' happy days!

On a plus note I went in to Nottingham to get a new strap for it, tried Copes where I found a lovely Hirsch croc grain band for £30 but drew the line at paying £5 each for spring bars and £5 fitting on top (lets not even go there) went round to goldsmiths and got a genuine Hirsch croc for £65 (which really is a beauty) and got a free 'George Clooney' coffee and biscuit whilst I waited and enjoyed listening to the poor salesman trying to communicate to a young Chinese student who spoke little or no english and was communicating from her IPad trying to negotiate a deal on a new Rolex ladies date just and wasn't happy that he wouldn't give a 20% discount and sell it tax free!

It's the little things! ha ha ha
    Last edited by dickstar1977; 30th September 2014 at 22:20.

Master

Looking good on croc

Gorgeous watch and great job! May I ask the size/diameter of the watch?

Master
    Its only 32mm but it wears beautifully

I'll say - looks great on your wrist!

Another beauty, too small for me, but the style is just that, pure style!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JonW View Post
    Another beauty, too small for me, but the style is just that, pure style!
    TBH Jon it really doesn't wear small, you know me mate, I love the 70's Omegas and understated isn't my thing, but I am loving the connie just wears so nicely for work and socially

Master
    Had a few PM's about the croc band, its a Hirsch one but looks great, here are a decent couple of pics of the connie on croc

Grand Master
    Sorry to hear about your fall! Thankfully the watch was OK (bruises heal, watches don`t!).

Reminds me of the time I fell whilst wearing a Rolex Datejust; my hands were grazed and bleeding but I ignored that and looked at the watch first.........seriously, my first concern was for the watch and I was pleased to see it had survived OK.

As for the size of your watch, are you sure it's 32mm? I`d bet on it being 34mm exc crown, it looks exactly the same case as my gold one.

As for the steps at work maybe they need some yellow paint on the edges? Health & Safety etc.

Paul

Master
    Paul

You are quite right it is indeed 34mm, stupid iPhone apps

Haha, the work building is a grade 2 heritage site so I can't even know a all down let alone paint anything, which ever muppet thought it would be a good idea to turn a grade 2 heritage mill in to a college needs shooting! sigh

Master
    Its the little things in life that make you happy, I put this on for the first time in a few weeks this morning, don't know whether I am getting older or whether my taste is refining but this is simply one of the most beautiful watches I've owned. Watched 'drive' last night and was inspired to 'dress watch cool' by the Patek in that, IMHO Patek eat your heart out!
    Last edited by dickstar1977; 3rd November 2014 at 11:41.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Its the little things in life that make you happy, I put this on for the first time in a few weeks this morning, don't know where I am getting older or whether my taste is refining but this is simply one of the most beautiful watches I've owned. Watched 'drive' last night and was inspired to 'dress watch cool' by the Patek in that, IMHO Patek eat your heart out!
    Maturing, mellowing etc and imo you are só right.

Master
    Definitely a thing of beauty

Hi Tom

My Constellation returned from STS today....just a full Service to the movement for this one....no other work at all:

Best - Neil

Master
    Lovely Neil

Great condition too