closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The JDM thread

The JDM thread

There are quite a few of us into Japanese Domestic Models (JDMs) and I thought it would be handy to swap tips and talk models, I recently picked up a Casio Oceanus s100 and a orient disc just before that - that gave me the bug

1) what JDM is on your horizon;

2) how are you buying them?

3) Any sub-brands or other makers people should be aware of? For example, anyone got a Q&Q watch?

I'm using Fromjapan.jp and looking for an Orient M-force as my next model and also an orient star.

Bought this here via a WTB, answered by a very helpful and obliging forum member who knows someone in Japan who he asked to bid on one on a Japanese auction site. Went out of his way, and as a result I ended up with this fantastic piece.

Accurate to +/-20s a year. Pretty fabulous.

Nice thread!
    I only have a 7002 700J but it has been unJDMd with mods.
    Next on my horizon is a jdm gulfmaster:

And i am hoping to get it somewhere around xmas

Love to see other JDMs.

Master
    Great thread, really looking forward to seeing some of the more exotic models.
    Nothing from me at the moment, but in the future possibly a Sumo, MM300 for starters :)

I'm, sure you'll get several (they're not hard to acquire used) in this thread, but let me be the first MM300.

Blog Entries
    Rrceived this Brightz few days ago,JDM limited edition of 300...

If JDM is "Japan Domestic Market" then would non-Japanese but Japan-market only count ?

This one for example :

One of 50 made for the Japan market only.

Paul

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo Tokei View Post
    If JDM is "Japan Domestic Market" then would non-Japanese but Japan-market only count ?

This one for example :

Paul
    I think it's a second cousin ;-)

Master

This one for example :

Paul
    What a lovely watch, I really like those needle hands.

JDM only, and limited to 600:

The Speedmaster Takuya Yura.

Master
    Ananta SAEH005 - admired for ages then bought and stored in its box, never to be used :(

I'm happy to let other source the watch, and I'll pick them up used on the forum SC. :)

Blog Entries

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Craftsman
    I have one of these earmarked as my next JDM purchase:

But I try to stick to a one-in one-out policy and at the moment I can't decide which watch I'm prepared to sell.

As for sources, I go to the usual suspects for a new watch - Seiya, Higuchi or Chino. For a used or discontinued JDM model Yahoo Japan is by far the best source.

Got a couple of JDM 7A38's myself. Whereas YJ is definitely the best place to pick up used examples, this one actually came from eBay funnily enough.

In it's day, the most expensive 7Axx that Seiko ever offered - with a Japanese retail price tag of 100,000 Yen in 1985. The all-Titanium (including the case-back) 7A38-7030 SJS018.

Last edited by Seiko7A38; 17th September 2014 at 13:14.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GlennO View Post

But I try to stick to a one-in one-out policy and at the moment I can't decide which watch I'm prepared to sell.

As for sources, I go to the usual suspects for a new watch - Seiya, Higuchi or Chino. For a used or discontinued JDM model Yahoo Japan is by far the best source.
    Good choice and I quite fancy one myself. I currently have this:

[IMG][/IMG]

Grand Master
    JDM, you say?

I'm so JDM I think a steering wheel on the left side of the car is a conversion.

I'm so JDM I asked for a rice cake on my birthday.

I'm so JDM my blood is type-R.

I'm so JDM I Spoon all night.

I'm so JDM I lowered the springs in my mattress.

I'm so JDM I sleep on the right side of the bed.

I'm so JDM I imported my children instead of having them here.

I'm so JDM my electric toothbrush has VTEC.

I'm so JDM I drift my trolley when I'm in Tesco.

I'm so JDM I changed all the badges on my Lexus back to Toyota.

Anyway, as you were.
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Journeyman
    Also have this easilly acquired one.

Not sure if SRQ005 Ananta is JDM but I'm in love with it, cool looking on metal bracelet too, hope to get one.

Can't remember where I got mine from...

The perpetual calendar is brilliant, the lack of UK syncing is often cited as being a reason for not buying one, however I think mine has gained an average of less than 10 seconds between every hour change since I have had it, so the timing doesn't really cause a problem.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by andyjay View Post
    Can't remember where I got mine from...

The perpetual calendar is brilliant, the lack of UK syncing is often cited as being a reason for not buying one, however I think mine has gained an average of less than 10 seconds between every hour change since I have had it, so the timing doesn't really cause a problem.
    That's pretty impressive accuracy. We don't even have a transmitter here so it's a non-issue for me. The watch has enough other attributes that are desirable to me to justify the price.

Master
    That's pretty impressive accuracy. We don't even have a transmitter here so it's a non-issue for me. The watch has enough other attributes that are desirable to me to justify the price.
    Agreed. I love the dial and crystal, the numbers and the fact that it's Ti. A much better alternative here in Perth in the heat than steel. Must resist

Quote Originally Posted by stix View Post
    Agreed. I love the dial and crystal, the numbers and the fact that it's Ti. A much better alternative here in Perth in the heat than steel. Must resist
    Resistance is futile……………probably the best field/everyday watch out there, in my opinion of course……..

Journeyman
    My current JDM piece of choice

Blog Entries
    If we are talking SEIKO, then it pretty much has to be a discontinued model or a very limited edition model. Most models are now sold world wide, including GS.

Here is my JDM Master shop edition GS SBGM001 from 2004, from the time when GS was strictly sold in Japan.

Big JDM fan here!

Have around 10-11 pieces, about 70-80% of my collection. Mostly Orient Star which I find absolute bargain for quality vs. price paid, couple of Citizen models and a couple of SARB line Seiko's. Had a Royal Orient model as well but let it go mainly because it was hand winding and my wearing habits meant I often picked it up to find it unwound.

What I like about JDM?
    - the size ( hate that "modern" watches are increasing in size)
    - the attention to detail/case finishing that is unrivaled in terms of VFM
    - mostly in-house, honest and bullet-proof-ish movements
    - the designs that are mostly "fresh" and classic at the same time
    - did I mention the great, perfect for me, size?

My personal favorite JDM's I own and is quite unlikely I'd part with are the OS Somes black dial (WZ0201EL) , the green Alpinist (SARB017), the OS Retrograde (WZ0041DE) and a classy Citizen Stiletto.

After having all these JDMs I find myself very hard to please by any mid range Swiss that I can afford at the moment and whose design/size allure me, although there are a few brands that I do like a lot such as Mido, Hamilton or Eterna.

Quote Originally Posted by yonsson View Post
    If we are talking SEIKO, then it pretty much has to be a discontinued model or a very limited edition model. Most models are now sold world wide, including GS.
    I wouldn't agree with that . Still plenty of lineups of Seiko that are not offered through dealers outside Japan. You just need to dig deeper . But on on the other hand of course there's places like Seiya, Higuchi or even Rakuten and others which make it much easier nowadays to get your hands on pretty much any JDM model.

Quote Originally Posted by Backward point View Post
    JDM only, and limited to 600:

The Speedmaster Takuya Yura.
    Bloody hell! I love that!!!
    Last edited by Dan83bz; 20th September 2014 at 21:04.

I've got an Oceanus OCW-S100 on its way from Mr Seiya...just released from the cold hard hands of the customs man so should be here soon...used to have an Oceanus OCWM800 which was superb...as for other JDM there was an MRG-7500 G shock (twice)...MRG-100T, MRG-110T...Citizen PMD56-2952...and others which I regret flipping

Quote Originally Posted by Ellietwed View Post
    I've got an Oceanus OCW-S100 on its way from Mr Seiya...just released from the cold hard hands of the customs man so should be here soon...used to have an Oceanus OCWM800 which was superb...as for other JDM there was an MRG-7500 G shock (twice)...MRG-100T, MRG-110T...Citizen PMD56-2952...and others which I regret flipping
    OCW-s100 is a great watch - it's one of my daily watches - very comfortable to wear and a dial that just wants you to look at it all day.

The OCW-S100 is something I've been considering, despite not being a blue dial fan.

What are they like on the wrist?

My friend who owns an Oceanus is fond of pointing out the uniqueness of having "anus" on a watch dial.

Paul

My friend who owns an Oceanus is fond of pointing out the uniqueness of having "anus" on a watch dial.

Paul
    Indeed. Some of us have a rule about avoiding watches with body-part names (I have a similar issue with Oris, Pita, Tawatec...). Still, I really liked my OCW-T410. The non-standard bracelet fitting annoyed me after a while though.

Haven't worn it much, after hankering for one, need to get it on the wrist..

Hi folks, received my Oceanus OCW-S100 from Seiya san recently (fantastic service as ever) and I really really like it....the quality is superb, lovely slightly domed sapphire crystal, immaculate brushed/polished case, solid non rattly end links that fit the case perfectly...very nicely made TI bracelet...and being TI its very comfortable...at 40mm it suits my 6.5 inch wrists...I was tempted by a chrono Oceanus but so glad I went for the OCW-S100 as its the most eligible watch I now own....lovely blue accents to the dial too ..picks up the radio signal every night without fail and thanks to the technology gubbins, tough movt I guess...the second hand hits the markers perfectly :-)...I sold my GS SBGX061 as it just wasn;t getting worn, afraid of dinging it (silly I know) and a bit too dressy for me...but I hate to say this...deep breath..I prefer the Oceanus and will definitely wear it more...ok, the GS will likely outlive the cockroaches but its no good to me living in its wonderfully padded box....pics up as soon as I can

I'm a big JDM fan. I just wish more of the Seiko high end watches could be available here.

I've got several of them. One of my favourites is the relatively inexpensive SARB017 Alpinist, one of Seiko's best looking mid-range watches.
    Then the MM300, Grand Seiko based classic high end diver.

But my favourite of them all - which is not really a JDM nowdays.... Grand Seiko Spring Drive Titanium Diver SBGA031:
    This is as good as it gets!

Hi folks, received my Oceanus OCW-S100 from Seiya san recently (fantastic service as ever) and I really really like it....the quality is superb, lovely slightly domed sapphire crystal, immaculate brushed/polished case, solid non rattly end links that fit the case perfectly...very nicely made TI bracelet...and being TI its very comfortable...at 40mm it suits my 6.5 inch wrists...I was tempted by a chrono Oceanus but so glad I went for the OCW-S100 as its the most eligible watch I now own....lovely blue accents to the dial too ..picks up the radio signal every night without fail and thanks to the technology gubbins, tough movt I guess...the second hand hits the markers perfectly :-)...I sold my GS SBGX061 as it just wasn;t getting worn, afraid of dinging it (silly I know) and a bit too dressy for me...but I hate to say this...deep breath..I prefer the Oceanus and will definitely wear it more...ok, the GS will likely outlive the cockroaches but its no good to me living in its wonderfully padded box....pics up as soon as I can
    The real problem I'm having with my OCW-s100 is that my other watches aren't getting enough wear! - thinking about maybe another oceanus at the moment....

Glad you're enjoying this mate...I also like the look of the ocw-t2500 chrono.. Maybe next year... I used to have a citizen pmd56-2952 and really liked it but I'm loving the ocw-s100 more

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by LuvWatch View Post
    Haven't worn it much, after hankering for one, need to get it on the wrist..

I really like that, what is it?

Craftsman
    Lovely watches, I particularly like the Landmaster below and the Spring Drive diver and Marinemaster and........

Quote Originally Posted by James_Poole View Post
    I really like that, what is it?
    Seiko Prospex Fieldmaster SBDC011

Tried one of these on today and was surprised and delighted to come across one. Very nice indeed but the price nearly bowled me over. 9990 Remnimbi, so nearly £1k! Not sure who's responsible for Casio pricing in China but they've got a cheek.

Quote Originally Posted by OldHooky View Post
    Tried one of these on today and was surprised and delighted to come across one. Very nice indeed but the price nearly bowled me over. 9990 Remnimbi, so nearly £1k! Not sure who's responsible for Casio pricing in China but they've got a cheek.
    I wouldn't buy one first hand - significant discount on second hand.

Especially as it's $539 from Seiya!

Yeah thats what a paid Seiya for mine...inc tax & handling fees etc it all came to just over £400...I'm happy with that given the spec...and being a Casio I know it'll keep on ticking

How about a Marui Speedmaster? (JDM Only, not sure how many were made but its pretty rare)

Bringing this back to life - anyone come across or got a Kentex? never heard of them but while doing some sunday morning JDM search came across them...

Speaking of unknown brands? MINASE?

I really like the look of this:

http://www.amazon.co.jp/%E3%83%9F%E3...2125559&sr=1-1

Not high end as such but a JDM Maroon night Monster i acquired the other year via Creation and the only one i have had from them with import duty i think because it came direct from Japan.

Apologies for the dust around the crown!

My JDM all original 6306 - 7001. Old school and very very cool (IMO!)

Look at this super-rare edifice with an Oceanus face... (pull the other one...)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3216494731...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    Bringing this back to life - anyone come across or got a Kentex? never heard of them but while doing some sunday morning JDM search came across them...
    Yep, owned one years ago.

Decent quality and using mostly Seiko movements, even an 2824 in a more expensive model.

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!