closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Paypal chargeback advice !!

Paypal chargeback advice !!

Hi All

Sold a monnin to a bloke in France with no probs via Paypal. He received the watch on the 13th of August & even sent me pics of it on a bracelet & not the strap supplied

Now ive had an email from Paypal saying he didnt authorise the transaction & hes requested a chargeback from his card company.

What a total liar.

I,m now in negative on my PP account but i kept all his email & sent it UPS so have his phone number also

Totally seething...........

I presume that PPal are holding the money. The guy must have to satisfy his card company, and thus PPal, that the transaction was fraudulent. You have evidence of good faith at your end. Hopefully, you also have evidence of dispatch and delivery of the watch. That should carry some weight, especially if it was to a PPal confirmed address.
    Last edited by PickleB; 15th September 2014 at 12:14.

Master
    I had a similar thing from a buyer last year. The goods were received but they said they didn't authorise it. I tried to contact them via ebay and paypal but no answer. Just an email from paypal saying it was being investigated. Anyway a few days later the money was back with me. Never got an explanation though.

Ive just emailed him asking what hes playing at . Hes replied saying its the banks fault & hes trying to sort it.

I assume the bank wouldnt raise the paypal claim so im wondering if he was hoping id deleted all evidence

Sneaky fook

Craftsman
    Was the email address in which you received the pictures of the watch on bracelet same as his PP email address?
    Cheers Mick

Yes mate

It amazes me what some people try to get away with. I hope that you get it sorted quickly. I know that paypal usuallu sides with the buyer, but this is clearly foul play.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by blackie View Post
    Yes mate
    Sounds like he doesn't have a frogs leg to stand on.
    Could you PM his eBay user ID please so I can block him?
    Thanks Mick

If they side with the buyer i will never use them ever again. I may even book a ferry trip

I'm so sorry you're going through this. In my experience, paypal has gotten better about listening to the seller, so hopefully this nonsense will come to an end quickly.
    Since it's inevitable, get all of the emails/photos and tracking number ready to be uploaded to the paypal dispute.

Edit - Also, if you know any of his forum names (maybe email as well), try searching to see if he posted pics of it anywhere.
    Last edited by lenny; 15th September 2014 at 13:43.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by lenny View Post
    I'm so sorry you're going through this. In my experience, paypal has gotten better about listening to the seller, so hopefully this nonsense will come to an end quickly.
    Since it's inevitable, get all of the emails/photos and tracking number ready to be uploaded to the paypal dispute.

Edit - Also, if you know any of his forum names (maybe email as well), try searching to see if he posted pics of it anywhere.
    Good advice above.

Having had this done to me as well, paypal did indeed return the money back to me after I showed a signed slip that the buyer had signed for the goods I sent.

Hope you get it all sorted!

Apprentice
    Common problem with ebay and PayPal - a bit of pain but if you have all the evidence it does get sorted best of luck

I assume you have online proof of delivery from UPS ? Paypal should be asking for this - you should be able to defend a claim for unauthorised use of a card by providing proof of delivery. Have a good read of https://www.paypal.com/uk/webapps/mpp/chargebacks

Problem is that if it's a charge back from a credit card company it's out of paypal's hands as they cannot do a damn thing about credit card chargebacks so pointless sending paypal anything.
    I'm afraid if the charge back is already in motion your going to lose your money whatever you try & do.
    I know this as it's happened to me in the past & I'm afraid all you can do is bend over & take it up the pooper.

You need to get back on the phone to this scammer & explain that if the watch is not returned you'll be taking legal action , he'll probably laugh it off as soon as you put the phone down but it's worth a try.
    How much was the watch ? A little trip on a cheap flight to France May be in order.

Given he's getting the money back, just tell the guy to give you the money via a different method.

If he doesn't, then you know he's at it.

Journeyman
    This happened to me once...eBay positive feedback, proof of delivery, etc meant I got my money back but it did take PayPal awhile to dispute the chargeback with the card company. I messaged my buyer and they said they would help clear it up as well. Couldn't hurt to message them (use the eBay message system if that us how you sold it) and ask if something is going on as they have contacted you saying they are happy with the purchase and now are getting a chargeback.

Journeyman
    This has happened to me a number of times on ebay sales but I have always got my money back even if it took a while, regardless of the payment source.

As long as you have send it to the confirmed paypal address and have online tracking with proof of delivery you should covered.

Was it an ebay sale?

Master
    I had a similar problem a few years ago I sold a camera on ebay for £90 and the buyer demanded a refund saying the camera was broken and we exchanged emails she must have changed her story about 10 times the lying cow so I refused a refund as the camera was perfect. Ebay said the case would be judged fairly and the lengthy list of emails would be gone through with a fine toothed comb, ebay then said she had posted the camera back and was giving her a full refund I got an bit of metal back a similar weight and size to the camera and had £90 taken out of my bank account and tried to contact her only to find she had changed her user name I phoned ebay cc threatening to contact the police and my bank to report it as fraud then for a reason ebay wouldn't tell me they then refunded me the money I now won't sell anything that costs more than £50 via paypal I think ebay and paypal is so full of loopholes for fraudsters and is now set up for the protection of buyers only

It was a transaction off ebay via Chronotrader. As I have said the buyer has responded and said it's the banks error and he's sorting it but ive since sent him another mail with no response.

This shouldn't happen and rules were changed years ago to prevent it. As a seller you are covered for charge backs! Using PayPal. I was ripped of over a laptop a few years ago before they changed the seller protection but that was through eBay. PayPal are owned by eBay aren't they ? So how can the rules be different using PayPal through eBay or someone else.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael 38 View Post
    I had a similar problem a few years ago I sold a camera on ebay for £90 and the buyer demanded a refund saying the camera was broken and we exchanged emails she must have changed her story about 10 times the lying cow so I refused a refund as the camera was perfect. Ebay said the case would be judged fairly and the lengthy list of emails would be gone through with a fine toothed comb, ebay then said she had posted the camera back and was giving her a full refund I got an bit of metal back a similar weight and size to the camera and had £90 taken out of my bank account and tried to contact her only to find she had changed her user name I phoned ebay cc threatening to contact the police and my bank to report it as fraud then for a reason ebay wouldn't tell me they then refunded me the money I now won't sell anything that costs more than £50 via paypal I think ebay and paypal is so full of loopholes for fraudsters and is now set up for the protection of buyers only
    Yup totally for buyers now, I have had disputes and I know ebay did not review the case at all but just immediately refunded the buyer asap, including me once getting a full refund when I only asked for a partial.

Cheeky T...T Thank goodness you kept a copy of the emails.

I think he has something to do with this

Same name same email as paypal and email

Vincent de FRESQUET

http://www.clubautobianchi.fr/Infos-legales_361.html

And he's easy to find on facebook

One of his emails with pics so I know he received it

Hi David,

This email to tell you that I receive the watch this afternoon. I'm very happy and put on it the original steel heuer band I has since à long time.

Best regards from France.

Vincent.

I sold it on a strap

Proof of delivery was obtained.
    Last edited by blackie; 20th April 2018 at 17:31.

^^Truly bizarre. Perhaps it is a bank issue due to it being an international transaction.....

Journeyman
    Now ive had an email from Paypal saying he didnt authorise the transaction & hes requested a chargeback from his card company.

Did you send the item to the address given on the PP transaction?

If so, you're fine, PayPal can put the money back in your account very quickly.

PayPal need two things: The tracking number from UPS, and proof that the package was posted to the address on the PayPal transaction.

If you booked it online, take a screenshot of your booking confirmation page in your UPS account. Upload it in the Resolution Centre, or email it to:

"chargeback-response@paypal.com"

Then phone PayPal on 0800 358 7911, ask to speak to the Claims department. If they can verify the details, they will release the hold on your funds right there.

They'll still dispute the chargeback with the bank in the normal way, but if you can provide the details outlined above, they'll automatically cover you for seller protection and give your money back.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jase0851 View Post
    PayPal are owned by eBay aren't they ? So how can the rules be different using PayPal through eBay or someone else.
    Because eBay and PayPal say the rules are different. :-)

The protection offered for a PayPal transaction via eBay is higher than a non-eBay PayPal transaction. To the best of my knowledge, the difference is that an eBay transaction has funds absolutely guaranteed: eBay or PayPal will pay out from their own pocket if necessary. In comparison, a non-eBay PayPal transaction has no such guarantee and PayPal will only repay from funds that they can get back from the losing party in the dispute.

Great. As if i havent enough on my plate i now get an email saying i have 10 days to top up my pp account or its debt collector time.

WTF do they think they are playing at ?

Just been onto PP & the chap was very helpful. Said they have all the info they need & they have had info from the other party which in his view was a good sign.

He is also contacting the buyer to see what the story is behind the request.

Also the email for overdue monies has been sent in error & is being reported.

Fingers crossed

Just been onto PP & the chap was very helpful. Said they have all the info they need & they have had info from the other party which in his view was a good sign.

He is also contacting the buyer to see what the story is behind the request.

Also the email for overdue monies has been sent in error & is being reported.

Fingers crossed
    Sounds promising, hope you get it all sorted!

Journeyman
    THis shows how important tracked shipping is in a deal via paypal.

If you don't have proof that the package was received, paypal will give him his money back in no instance. Be also careful when shipping abroad as tracking in other countires is not always available. I read on a camera blog that a shipment went off to mexico and the scamming buyer stated he never got it. Because of the nonexistent tracking paypal then refunded the money and the camera was ultimately gone.

Sellers beware!

Remember they also have 90 days to ask for refunds

Craftsman
    Don't forget item not as described too.

This worked in my favor when I bought a used tyre off eBay as I was selling my car and it needed one. The tyre arrived well wrapped but I was busy at work and didn't get round to having it fitted until a couple of weeks later. The fitter said this tyre is punctured on the side wall and can't be repaired. The garage signed and stamped a note saying they went to fit the tyre and it is punctured and needs disposing off. I messaged telling him what happened asking for a refund or another tyre if I returned it, he said yeah right mate on your bike. I can't remember exactly whether I needed to return the tyre of not but I got my money back via the item not as described. On his listing he said every tyre is inspected and tested. A few months later I looked on his feedback and it was full of the same story...punctures.

Sadly criminals can easily make a living on eBay and more and more of them are doing this.

OP if it turns out the buyer is dodgy you can "report this buyer" in my eBay, also you can add comments to feedback. Hopefully you'll get it sorted.

Master

very wary selling a high value watch

I hope you get this sorted.
    Hope you don't mind slightly off topic, I have sold a couple of watches on Ebay, lower value.My question scenario is if you sold a watch of a substantial amount, and send it Royal mail insured and signed for, the person receives and signs for it then states to Ebay the box was empty.Would I be correct in thinking he gets his money back and leaves bad feedback on you, but you can't leave negative feedback on him( and he gets to keep his newly acquired watch!) for free.
    How can you protect yourself from this?
    Last edited by barryw; 17th September 2014 at 07:33.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by barryw View Post
    My question scenario is if you sold a watch of a substantial amount, and send it Royal mail insured and signed for, the person receives and signs for it then states to Ebay the box was empty.Would I be correct in thinking he gets his money back and leaves bad feedback on you, but you can't leave negative feedback on him( and he gets to keep his newly acquired watch!) for free.
    How can you protect yourself from this?
    This worries me too. The only way to protect yourself in this scenario is to take lots of photos of the packing process and to record the weight of the package. I don't have any Post Office receipts handy right now to check but I think the package weight is also shown on RMSD receipts.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    This worries me too. The only way to protect yourself in this scenario is to take lots of photos of the packing process and to record the weight of the package. I don't have any Post Office receipts handy right now to check but I think the package weight is also shown on RMSD receipts.
    Thanks.

Master
    I sold my breitling chrono avenger on ebay to fund a house purchase a couple of years ago I put cash on collection only but still got loads of idiots asking me to post it cash on collection would be the only way I would sell high value items these days

Craftsman
    I sold my breitling chrono avenger on ebay to fund a house purchase a couple of years ago I put cash on collection only but still got loads of idiots asking me to post it cash on collection would be the only way I would sell high value items these days
    Did you sell it cash on collection in the end? I think a bank transfer would be OK then courier it, obviously looking at the feedback before giving out details.

Master
    Don't eBay rules say you have to offer PayPal as an option? That only leaves you with face-to-face delivery where you might be able to get a 'goods received okay receipt' but that still leaves you open to 'it's not genuine' scam.

Yes RMSD receipt includes the weight.

Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post

Master
    I sold it cash on collection and specified that on the auction if you have not payed via pay pal thay cannot snatch your money back as far as I know. I could have done a bank transfer and courier but as soon as I give it to them it's out of my control and could be lost or stolen still think face to face is safest option

Just had an interesting conversation with a fellow Heuer owner & he did this to him back in May with another Monnin.
    Same procedure,same chargeback

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TBKBABAB View Post
    Yes RMSD receipt includes the weight.
    Thanks.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dazzler View Post
    Don't eBay rules say you have to offer PayPal as an option? That only leaves you with face-to-face delivery where you might be able to get a 'goods received okay receipt' but that still leaves you open to 'it's not genuine' scam.
    eBay in the UK requires that you include PayPal as a payment option but you are also allowed to specify cash on collection only (with a controlled phase in the auction text). Yes it's paradoxical but this is how eBay seems to want it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dazzler View Post
    I could be wrong but I believe you should never allow collection if paid by paypal. The buyer could claim non delivery afterwards and you would lose the case if you can't prove delivery by online tracking. Anything signed by the buyer would not be considered by ebay when deciding the case.

Craftsman
    Just had an interesting conversation with a fellow Heuer owner & he did this to him back in May with another Monnin.
    I wonder how many more people he has done this to?

Who knows but ive started the ball rolling with letting everyone know who he is.

If they side with the buyer i will never use them ever again. I may even book a ferry trip
    John Bindon isn't around but I know a few who would love a little - how you say - excursion!

If you speak French sounds like a call to the Gendarmerie is in order!
    Horrid experience - won't use ebay these days because of this - and won't register "automated" payment - so they won' let me sell anyway!
    LOL - funny have some good French mates so am surprised!