closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Smiths Everest strap change?

Master

Question Smiths Everest strap change?

I have always worn my Everest on a Nato which I love, the trouble is as most people point out it sits rather high.I have tried it on a couple of leather Hirsch liberties, Hirsch terra and also the bracelet it came on, the trouble with the lovely bracelet is the raised centre links, it's just adds too much heft to the watch and also it becomes too tight or too slack.
    SO my question is, I'm looking for a quality two piece nylon military style strap with a nylon keeper, any suggestions as where to look? I've tried the RAF style and it just looks odd to me, suggestions appreciated.

Hi,
    I bought a Eulit open mesh NOS perlon strap on eBay from a dealer in Australia. AFAIR they are West German 1970s, about £7 plus postage. Mine was pale grey but they also do maroon both of which should look good on an Everest (well the grey did on mine.) Has a nylon/perlon keeper and a better buckle than most of the perlon straps I've tried before.
    G

Eulit NOS perlon straps

Just found a couple of pics of Eulit on Citizen

Try westcoasttime. They sell Maratac nylon straps (for me they're up there with the best natos) and usually have two-piece in stock. If you prefer a UK seller then try SecTime either on their site or through ebay, I just ordered a maroon zulu from them yesterday.

David

RLT Watches do a two piece Nato with nylon keeper. Bit expensive at £6.95 though

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by grey View Post
    Hi,
    I bought a Eulit open mesh NOS perlon strap on eBay from a dealer in Australia. AFAIR they are West German 1970s, about £7 plus postage. Mine was pale grey but they also do maroon both of which should look good on an Everest (well the grey did on mine.) Has a nylon/perlon keeper and a better buckle than most of the perlon straps I've tried before.
    G
    Thanks I have had a Eulit perlon in the RAF style, always felt a bit short and strange in the RAF style as I've always had Nato's.Probably Psychological but felt weird without the extra piece, that's why I thought of trying a thick canvas/ nylon two piece,ideally in a vintage bond with a nylon keeper.
    Last edited by barryw; 15th September 2014 at 06:57.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    Try westcoasttime. They sell Maratac nylon straps (for me they're up there with the best natos) and usually have two-piece in stock. If you prefer a UK seller then try SecTime either on their site or through ebay, I just ordered a maroon zulu from them yesterday.

David
    Cheers David, I will have a look at Westcoasttime at the Maratac, I thought of Gnomon but I don't think they sell two piece straps.
    Edit: Just had a look at the Zulu, I like the strap just not the rings, that's what has put me off Zulu straps in the past :(
    Last edited by barryw; 15th September 2014 at 06:59.

You could always take a good quality NATO and trim off the flap and remove the extra keeper to create your own low level strap. I've done that for my CWC diver with good results, not being a fan of the increased height the two layers of nylon a NATO strap usually brings.
    David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post
    You could always take a good quality NATO and trim off the flap and remove the extra keeper to create your own low level strap. I've done that for my CWC diver with good results, not being a fan of the increased height the two layers of nylon a NATO strap usually brings.
    I may have to try this, don't like the idea of wearing a strap that's botched! I know I'm weird :(
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by barryw View Post
    I may have to try this, don't like the idea of wearing a strap that's botched! I know I'm weird :(
    Thanks
    I remove this piece from every nato I buy. It never looks or feels botched as it's just one simple snip with the scissors to remove it. Eddie actually sells some like this called RAF style. They sit lower and you don't get that annoying gap between the two bits of nylon at the '6' end.

Master
    I remove this piece from every nato I buy. It never looks or feels botched as it's just one simple snip with the scissors to remove it. Eddie actually sells some like this called RAF style. They sit lower and you don't get that annoying gap between the two bits of nylon at the '6' end.
    Cheers Dave.

Same here, and of course you can then position the buckle just where you want it.

Don't forget you get a free key fob every time you snip the "extra bit" off. ;-)

F.T.F.A.

Quote Originally Posted by barryw View Post
    Thanks I have had a Eulit perlon in the RAF style, always felt a bit short and strange in the RAF style as I've always had Nato's.Probably Psychological but felt weird without the extra piece, that's why I thought of trying a thick canvas/ nylon two piece,ideally in a vintage bond with a nylon keeper.
    They do seem a touch light (presumably the intention) and maybe a 'proper' NATO version would be nice; as regards length, it was a concern for me as well, but then I found that there was plenty of surplus strap folded round the buckle.
    G

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by grey View Post
    They do seem a touch light (presumably the intention) and maybe a 'proper' NATO version would be nice; as regards length, it was a concern for me as well, but then I found that there was plenty of surplus strap folded round the buckle.
    G
    No question a quality strap, even the ends dipped to stop fraying and it has a quality buckle.But it just feels too thin for the Everest, as it's has quite a bit of bulk with the watch.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post

Don't forget you get a free key fob every time you snip the "extra bit" off. ;-)

]
    GREAT idea!
    Thx for the inspiration!

Master
    I came across a picture of an olive coloured Nato, that's the colour I would really like, it appears hard to come by.The strap needs to be welded and not stitched, just like Eddies.
    Gnomon have been sold out for some time :( , when I get one I will give it a go and remove the extra piece, can anyone think of where else I could source an olive Nato in 22 mm?
    Thanks.
    Last edited by barryw; 15th September 2014 at 13:16.

Have a look at the Hadley Roma Cordura strap. I've put them on a couple of watches and think they are nice quality for the money and are wearing well so far.

http://www.westonwatchstraps.co.uk/p...esistant..html

Quote Originally Posted by matt74 View Post
    Have a look at the Hadley Roma Cordura strap. I've put them on a couple of watches and think they are nice quality for the money and are wearing well so far.

http://www.westonwatchstraps.co.uk/p...esistant..html
    I often wear my Everest on a Hadley Roma Cordura and, whilst a really great strap and look, is nothing like a nato if that's what the OP is looking for:

Indeed it is not.

Master
    Hadley Roma great strap, unfortunately it's not what I'm after for my Everest.
    The other option for me is the metal bracelet, I really don't care for the raised centre links, we've discussed this before the possibility of removing the raised part on the SEL, I wonder if this is at all possible? This would reduce the heft of the watch head, drastic I know!
    I could live with the bracelet if this was done, for the days when I don't want to wear it on a Nato.
    What do you think?
    Last edited by barryw; 16th September 2014 at 06:58.

I often wear my Everest on a Hadley Roma Cordura and, whilst a really great strap and look, is nothing like a nato if that's what the OP is looking for:

These look good. So good in fact, that I've just ordered the grey. I'll update when strap arrives. Good shout on website, cheers

Journeyman

everest

Looking at the watch, is a new quartz model.

Eh? Quartz?

grey strap has arrived from Westons. Couldn't be happier with the quality and service for the price. Very new, so very stiff but that's good.
    Whether it's the watch lume playing tricks with my eyes or not but the colour comes across as a grey green. I can see me having a bigger strap collection quite soon :) Anyway, quick pic

[IMG][/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by daveyw View Post

[IMG][/IMG]
    Oooh nice! I like my sand version but would have bought the grey one had I seen it.