closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dressy chronograph watches

Quote Originally Posted by trisdg View Post
    The Max Bill is very nice, and pretty unique looking.

The OP does state that he wanted one that didn't 'cost a fortune', which somehow meant Zenith was a great choice. This was followed by suggestions of Parmigiani and JLC, so just wondered what doesn't cost a fortune means on this instance? :-)
    A fair point I think, both my Zenith chronos were under 2k, which I consider a lot, but not "a fortune".

Looking at them again I think they are really too busy to be properly "dressy".

The Max Bill, just on looks would be a good choice, though I dislike the contrasting date wheel and suspect they are pretty thick, given its a 7750.

Quote Originally Posted by java View Post
    When terminology like "Cost a Fortune" is used I have no idea what is meant. This is a watch forum. Watches range from less than £100 to well over £200,000 . A fortune is a different sum of money to all sorts of different people. To many people watches under £20,000 are watches which don't cost a fortune. To others they need to be under £5000 to qualify. Assumptions about what "doesn't cost a fortune" means are without logic.

There was a thread a while ago, in which it was established that £13000 was an expensive watch and not mid range. I can't find the thread.
    I know the thread you speak of. I really don't think that any figure was actually agreed upon, although 13k was generally considered expensive - but then expensive was considered by a great many to mean much much less than that figure..
    The poll that accompanied the thread was something of a landslide as I recall - but those who disagreed with the outcome, in true forum style, refused to attach any significance whatsoever to majority opinion.

"A fortune", however, is a different animal to "expensive". And I agree that, to some, even a million pounds would be considered rather a poor change of fortune...

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Umbongo View Post
    I know the thread you speak of. I really don't think that any figure was actually agreed upon, although 13k was generally considered expensive - but then expensive was considered by a great many to mean much much less than that figure..
    The poll that accompanied the thread was something of a landslide as I recall - but those who disagreed with the outcome, in true forum style, refused to attach any significance whatsoever to majority opinion.

"A fortune", however, is a different animal to "expensive". And I agree that, to some, even a million pounds would be considered rather a poor change of fortune...
    Therefore when people as advice relating to something the "Doesn't cost a fortune" they are making the assumption that a "Fortune " is some kind of universally accepted sum. Which it is very far from being. Safer to put a figure on it.

I still consider £13K to be mid to low. However I accept that opinion may be in the minority in these parts.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by famyklebust View Post
    There's few chronographs dressier and more beautiful than the IWC Portuguese Chronograph, IMHO, but as it's a bit out of my price range at the moment I've lent an eye to the Stowa Chronograph 1938. Not at all in the same division, obviously, but a beautiful and dressy chronograph nonetheless.

Stowa looks nice ,same here iwc out of my price range as well.
    Last edited by sg1; 14th September 2014 at 18:59.

Quote Originally Posted by quoll View Post
    I'll second that!

Blog Entries
    Therefore when people as advice relating to something the "Doesn't cost a fortune" they are making the assumption that a "Fortune " is some kind of universally accepted sum. Which it is very far from being. Safer to put a figure on it.

I still consider £13K to be mid to low. However I accept that opinion may be in the minority in these parts.
    £13k mid to low... You're a lucky man or a man who's worked very hard and can operate on another level... Having seem some of your watches (your taste is impeccable) I'm gathering it's latter... £13k mid to low even for us hobbiest watch fans is quite a stretch !!!

Rather than enter a debate, I'd suggest that we we'd all have our own views on low, mid and high and I dare say there's a strong coloration between our views and bank balances... I will now aspire to view £13k as mid to low :-)

Master

Bell & Ross 126 Geneva.

Good size and very classy.

Hans.

Quote Originally Posted by pacifichrono View Post
    They don't get much dressier than the Junghans Max Bill Chronoscope!

+1 mate.
    There are a lot of nice dress chronos out there, but for the money, one can hardly find a nicer one, IMHO.

To be clear, I was agreeing with you on this one - "A fortune" and "expensive" are not quite the same debate - and, even if theyre similar debates, they don't belong here.

And, yes, much safer to just put a figure on it.

At 39.5mm diameter and height 10.8mm this chronograph is discreet and unobtrusive and could be said to meet the OP criteria, subject to agreement on the definitions of dressy and fortune.

Quote Originally Posted by lowndes View Post
    At 39.5mm diameter and height 10.8mm this chronograph is discreet and unobtrusive and could be said to meet the OP criteria, subject to agreement on the definitions of dressy and fortune.

It comfortably meets the dressy criteria and, regardless of any consideration of definition, is an absolutely gorgeous watch...

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    £13k mid to low... You're a lucky man or a man who's worked very hard and can operate on another level... Having seem some of your watches (your taste is impeccable) I'm gathering it's latter... £13k mid to low even for us hobbiest watch fans is quite a stretch !!!

Rather than enter a debate, I'd suggest that we we'd all have our own views on low, mid and high and I dare say there's a strong coloration between our views and bank balances... I will now aspire to view £13k as mid to low :-)
    I didn't mean to sound blase about prices of watches. Personally I have a finite amount I am prepared to put into watches and like everyone it has limits. I am sixty and if I can't afford to indulge in a few nice watches now, I have been wasting my time. Coloration is an interestingly ironic typo regarding bank balances though.

Blog Entries
    I didn't mean to sound blase about prices of watches. Personally I have a finite amount I am prepared to put into watches and like everyone it has limits. I am sixty and if I can't afford to indulge in a few nice watches now, I have been wasting my time. Coloration is an interestingly ironic typo regarding bank balances though.
    Oops... Damned spell check!!! We all have finite amounts of cash (I'm working on that though!)

Everyone on here enjoys the odd indulgence and I'm am no exception!!! You clearly enjoy your watches and I congratulate you on having a wide range of watches to choose from... And you do choose well...
    Last edited by Wolfie; 14th September 2014 at 22:35.

When terminology like "Cost a Fortune" is used I have no idea what is meant. This is a watch forum. Watches range from less than £100 to well over £200,000 . A fortune is a different sum of money to all sorts of different people. To many people watches under £20,000 are watches which don't cost a fortune. To others they need to be under £5000 to qualify. Assumptions about what "doesn't cost a fortune" means are without logic.

There was a thread a while ago, in which it was established that £13000 was an expensive watch and not mid range. I can't find the thread.
    I agree, which is why I was asking the OP to chime in with a figure so we could help offer some advice that might be more appropriate.

Master
    I have never thought of purchasing something dressy until I saw this and could not resist. I would normally wear divers, G's or something military.It must be my age.

Ummmmmmmmmmm 😛

I think this could pass as dressy, albeit only just.

Craftsman
    These are my dress chronographs

I wondered when you'd be along with that... I'd say that pretty much proves that such a thing as a dressy chrono exists :)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by apm101 View Post
    Agree with that.

very nice.

Something I really regret selling. I would class it as dressy.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Umbongo View Post
    It comfortably meets the dressy criteria
    Only when stretched quíte a bit to include chronograph and yellow gold and flashy hands and size, so NO WAY comfortably.
    But then many in watch land include expensive dive watches a being dressy too in the light of confusing criteria.

To set the perspective, thís is a dress watch

and anything in the same understated style cheaper is the same on a different budget.
    Last edited by Huertecilla; 15th September 2014 at 21:59.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Huertecilla View Post
    Only when stretched quíte a bit to include chronograph and yellow gold and flashy hands and size, so NO WAY comfortably.
    But then many in watch land include expensive dive watches a being dressy too in the light of confusing criteria.
    Of all the watches on this thread. That is the one you pick to question it's dressiness. I worry for you Cilla.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Of all the watches on this thread. That is the one you pick to question it's dressiness. I worry for you Cilla.
    Thanks but no need to; it is fun being me.

I am sitting on a terrace in the andalucian heartland with a glass of tasty wine on the right temperature, using the laptop of the gf.
    Yesterday ditto but at the mediterranean and different gf.

I will show you my affordable dresser too:

Last edited by Huertecilla; 15th September 2014 at 22:10.

Banned
    Blog Entries

I am sitting on a terrace in the andalucian heartland with a glass of tasty wine on the right temperature, using the laptop of the gf.

And very beautiful it is too, although I can't quite see the chrono dials, maybe its the angle. Enjoy your glass of wine.

Banned

What a sad little man you are.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Enjoy your glass of wine.
    Thanks. Logging off now. The gf (getting me another glass now) is far more seductive than her laptop

Craftsman
    Search out the speedmaster automatic, its smaller than the usual one and can be easily found with a white face. It also looks good on a Strap.

I have this Tissot, a LE tribute to Sintra

Master
    That Lange is outrageously nice.

The Junghans Max Bill Chronoscope has been discussed above and is about as close to a dressy-ish chronograph as you can get for reasonable money - always worth noting there are several variants - black (as already posted) white (mine below) and with and without numbers. Dressiest is probably the white dial without numbers. Mine has the numbers and is perhaps therefore slightly more pragmatic and less dressy. Still fits the reasonably priced reasonably dressy chronograph remit well though.

Quote Originally Posted by fiddler69 View Post
    That Lange is outrageously nice.

The Junghans Max Bill Chronoscope has been discussed above and is about as close to a dressy-ish chronograph as you can get for reasonable money - always worth noting there are several variants - black (as already posted) white (mine below) and with and without numbers. Dressiest is probably the white dial without numbers. Mine has the numbers and is perhaps therefore slightly more pragmatic and less dressy. Still fits the reasonably priced reasonably dressy chronograph remit well though.

I think these look fantastic and you can pick a new one up for under £1k I think? However the Lange 1815 is droolingly gorgeous if £20k was my budget.(if you can use such a word in that instance?) Somewhere in the middle would possibly be a Daytona IMO - nice example here -http://www.iconicwatches.co.uk/as-ne...FfMgtAod32gAgg

Perhaps a bit thick?
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I can put this one in the mix , now that its on Gator.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Lampoc View Post
    There's plenty of dressy chronographs with the good old Poljot 3133 movement inside. Mostly cheapy-cheap too.

Get your 3133 fix here: http://www.polmax3133.com/
    That's what first occurred to me too.
    Here's mine:

I see the Daytona has already been mentioned, but I have to say that I think it's the archetypal dressy chrono whether on leather of the bracelet.

Here's the SS on bracelet...

I'd happily wear it to a dressy do, and would even wear it with a dinner suit. That said, I wear brown shoes with blue suits

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    That said, I wear brown shoes with blue suits
    Nowt wrong there

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by tertius View Post
    A fair point I think, both my Zenith chronos were under 2k, which I consider a lot, but not "a fortune".

Looking at them again I think they are really too busy to be properly "dressy".
    The previous model would be a better choice. Such a beauty.

On the basis of a dressy chronograph being small and shiny with no tool-ish adornment such as bezel, HEV, blasted finish and so forth, how about

It's on a nice dark brown Shell Cordovan at the moment too (thus complying with the "dress watches must be on leather straps" rule).

Dave

Banned
    Chronomat GT, at 40.5mm it's a very good size imo.

Banned
    For me, the thread end with the photo below. That said, I consider a Speedy on leather would pass in most circumstances. How anyone considers those Jungans thingies on mesh to be even remotely dressy eludes me.
    Quote Originally Posted by GlennO View Post

Craftsman
    Mont Blanc Timewalker

Master
    You write ´dressy´ so it is not persé but nevertheless the chronograph is inherently not a dressy tıpe of watch.

For it to be as dressy as possibe it should be understated, low key; of modest dimensions, have a white/cream/silver dial with modest markings and be on a leather strap; again modest.
    That's utter rubbish, you cannot tell me that Rolex Prince/ Cellini is not considered a dress watch?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Seiko7A38 View Post
    Indeed. I just happened to be wearing this dressy little Seiko 7A38-6080 this morning.

But in their various re-branded guises Seiko 7Axx's can offer whatever level of dressiness you might seek:

Both these examples cost me around £50.

love the seiko

Craftsman
    Another candidate would be an old Ebel Sport Classic with El Primero 400.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MerlinShepherd View Post

I love both of them but the Breitling is beautiful. The zenith is also very classy.
    Last edited by Ian99; 27th September 2014 at 13:47.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_B View Post
    How about...

Looks pretty dressy to me (for a chrono!)
    That is a gorgeous watch!

I still like this Speedmaster as a more dressy watch, but can’t work out how to post it properly, sorry.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Nytol; 27th September 2014 at 14:59.

I hope that I am not taking this thread off topic but my query is related to the initial question.

I am attending a black tie wedding in a couple of weeks. I have a Brioni tux already. Could anybody here recommend a brand of trainers that I could wear? You know, dressy ones!
    Last edited by AllyWheels; 27th September 2014 at 21:54.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by AllyWheels View Post
    I hope that I am not taking this thread off topic but my query is related to the initial question.

I am attending a black tie wedding in a couple of weeks. I have a Brini tux already. Could anybody here recommend a brand of trainers that I could wear? You know, dressy ones!
    Very good ;)

I like this one; its just under two centimetres thin, the lugs have some polished bits and the dial's so shiny it's practically backlit. Qualifies...?
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!