closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2017 Americas Cup - is Britain in with a chance this time?

Video footage:

Not good:

And...16 May 2017, Look what we have here Oracle Team USA using pedal power! Link.
    Last edited by PickleB; 17th May 2017 at 12:38. Reason: added last line

A couple more YouTube videos:

Edit: And here's a 35th America's Cup Preview that tells you about the teams and the competition's format. It seems that the helmsman's wheel and controls are more like an F1 car than anything I'm used to.
    Last edited by PickleB; 24th May 2017 at 13:09.

AC35 Racing Schedule

LOUIS VUITTON AMERICA'S CUP QUALIFIERS

ROUND ROBIN 1

Friday May 26th

Racing will be shown on BT Sport 1 21.00 - 23.00

Race 1: USA vs France

Race 2: Sweden vs Japan

Race 3: France vs NZ

Race 4: GBR v Sweden

Opening Ceremony

Edit: Ride onboard with Land Rover BAR
    Last edited by PickleB; 25th May 2017 at 16:47.

Free Live stream online or watch on TV with BT Sport (link) plus broadcast times.

NB: I had a problem accessing the live stream from the web page. If you have difficulty, try this link: http://sport.bt.com/free-to-air-01364057726206.

The winds are looking a lot better today (link) than those that caused the cancellation of yesterday's racing.

Edit: Apparently ("at any of the broadcast") "The first 12 days of live America’s Cup combat, featuring the qualifiers and the Challenger Playoff semi-finals, will be made free-to-air, along with nine subsequent highlight shows from the Challenger Playoff final and Match stages."

Red Bull TV have listed the RB Youth America's Cup finals (link) on 21/22 June. The qualifier races are the week before, so look out for additional listings.

Update: Today's (27th) racing schedule (link):

BST race ADT
    18h08 US v FR 14h08
    18h37 SE v JP 14h37
    19h06 FR v NZ 15h06
    19h35 GB v SE 15h35
    20h02 NZ v US 16h05
    20h34 GB v JP 16h34
    Last edited by PickleB; 27th May 2017 at 18:22.

Quote Originally Posted by PamFan View Post
    NZ looking good out there. Great venue!
    Race 5 should be one to watch!

I had to switch from Chrome to MS Edge to get this to work: www.americascup.com/en/virtualeye.html.

"Hey-Ho"...Chris Draper, JPN tactician, being very magnanimous!

I believe that this should be tomorrow's programme:

race
    7 SE v FR
    8 US v GB
    9 JP v NZ
    10 US v SE
    11 NZ v GB
    12 JP v US

Here's hoping BAR can make good their damage overnight...they have two critical races to complete!

Summary of day #1: www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UJFJi7m4no
    Last edited by PickleB; 28th May 2017 at 08:56. Reason: getting the name right

In case you missed it:

Master
    That was a fair whack.

It's gone from bad to worse, 4 defeats on the bounce http://www.bbc.com/sport/sailing/40066616

Let's hope they can regroup.

Quote Originally Posted by Dazzler View Post
    That was a fair whack.

It's gone from bad to worse, 4 defeats on the bounce http://www.bbc.com/sport/sailing/40066616

Let's hope they can regroup.
    I couldn't agree more. They've one race today against the Swedes, who will have already been in the first race of the second half of the round robin qualifiers racing against NZ. BAR's 2 points and position from the preliminary rounds may see them into the next stage, but they need to up their game.

See Schedule & Standings to follow the results.

Update: That's more like it! SE Artemis didn't do anything wrong and neither did BAR for once, so a good win for Ainslie and team.
    Last edited by PickleB; 30th May 2017 at 19:27. Reason: correction to content

Yesterday’s races have been re-scheduled for today. Let’s hope that the wind (link) stays above 6 kn, as per the Met Office and local forecasts.

Well, thank goodness for those 2 points from the qualies and that final win against France.

On another sailing note, i'm in Antibes for work and it's the Voile d'Antibes Panerai Classic week - some utterly beautiful classic yachts and some serious superyachts for company - Paul Allen of Microsoft fame is here with Tatoosh, Barbara arrived straight from Falmouth yesterday to be delivered to her new owners, Aqulia arrived late last night after her refit in Cornwall (owned by the Waltons or Wal-Mart fame). There are also numerous Oligarchs in port.

Google some of these yachts if you've not seen them, they are a sight to behold!

Quote Originally Posted by PamFan View Post
    Interesting choice for NZ to pick BAR in the semis I thought. Will need some serious good luck to make it past them.
    NZ are on form and only lack some match racing experience. If they didn't take on BAR in the next stage, they might well meet them in the final of the playoffs, by which time BenA and team may have improved further than they have already. This way they get to challenge a top skipper in the starts with a better chance of recovering any errors in the race itself.

Let Artemis and Softbank duel it out and see one or other in the next stage having sharpened their own start skills while seeing off BAR is, IMO, the way they see it.

It's now or never for Team BAR...first to five or they're out.

The wind is dying away. This may be another day when racing is cancelled...

Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    The wind is dying away. This may be another day when racing is cancelled...
    And so it turned out, with all the races moved to today.

Meanwhile: A beginner's guide to foiling and foil shapes doesn't go into their different lengths, however the commentators are covering that aspect, but it helped me with other aspects of their control and overall design.

Update: Winds are up to 10 knots plus today...and that will be to BAR's liking.
    Last edited by PickleB; 5th June 2017 at 14:55.

Master
    It's gone from bad to worse
    And now it's gone from worse to really bad... Boat breaks in Race 1 and Race 2 forfeit.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sailing/2...inslie-latest/

And now it's gone from worse to really bad... Boat breaks in Race 1 and Race 2 forfeit.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sailing/2...inslie-latest/
    But did you watch SE v JP? Wind 15 kn plus, boat speeds up to 44 kn...flight time 90% plus...exciting stuff.

Fingers crossed that BAR get it fixed overnight and can mount a challenge tomorrow.

Blog Entries
    Ainslie is my son's hero (Back from Ainslie's days sailing the Finn) and I am sure my son can relate to this event since his boat is at the yard as well... Luckily for my wallet less expensive, though.

Interesting to watch is the progress the teams have made since the last Cup. Back then it was incredible to see them going around the buoy foiling for the first time.

Having said that: I don't agree with the saying 'the 100% foiling team will win.' Within a few days (?) all teams will be able to foil 100 % of the race. The tactics, the crew and choices on the water will make the difference. That's Ainslie's territory.

Another video...notice the wing in its hanger at around 25s:

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    I think that the Kiwis made a brilliant move! Working on a boat on the far end of the world and then stepping into the light with this! It's possible a game changer like Ainsley's move to Oracle USA. That reshuffled the deck of cards completely!

Personally, I still think that Britain stands a chance with this team and this preparation. And I would like to see them win.

On the other hand, I am not a fan of foiling/sailing. For this AC syndicate stuff it's great and wonderful to watch, but not for 'normal' sailing. I was on a RIB last Sunday on Lake IJsselmeer, a large inland lake in the heart of the Netherlands. My son sailed a regatta there with his Laser Radial - the waves were at least 2m high (22 knots - low shore) some waves even looked like the surf in front of a beach. I can not see how a foiled dinghy stands a chance in that sort of conditions.

Menno
    Who knows:

...?

Blog Entries
    Who knows:

...?
    I have seen this. My son and his friends discussed this a while back. It's remarkable how conservative these youngsters are! Where we (parents) react with: Oh that's nice, that will go fast... the young ones react with: Just learn to sail properly and then go to something foiling. And: how will he cope 4ft (or higher) waves, referring to this:

Like this pic from Matias Capizzano:

There's no next shot, but all signs show that he will not keep the boat upright...

However, this got their attention and positive reactions right away! Plymouth University Student Forrest Worthington's 'Enabling Sailing' project:
    Last edited by thieuster; 5th June 2017 at 21:14.

Agreed...it's not for everybody (at the moment). But, just as with sailboards, land yachts, GPS v conventional position fixing, etc...technology will have its place in the future of sports and recreation. While most of us are content and assured by what we have and our present skills, others are out there extending the challenge. It's not the same...but is it the future?

Enabling Sailing is a fine example of applying current technology to opening up the sailing experience to wider participation. Thanks for posting...I hadn't heard of it before.

Blog Entries
    I am on the same page as you about evolution in sailing. (And one of the parents who said that it would be fun).

It is funny how the youngsters reacted when they found out about the Plymouth project. It's a project in conjunction with Danish Opitimist builder Winner. And it was shown on the website of the Dutch Winner dealer. That's how they thought it was a Dutch invention - they even volunteered to test the boat. When they found out that it's a UK project, a few of the younger Opti-kids turned to a British boy and girl who always attend the Dutch/Belgian regattas with the message: 'You should apply for a test in that boat! Awesome!'

Kids with a certain handicap can sail; one of the boys on the regattas, sailing the optimist has two hearing aid implants behind his ears. A massive job for his coach too, shouting instructions into the wind during practice days! But he's a very good young sailor, in fact he's selected for the World Championship in Thailand later this year.

But, back to the America's Cup. Personally I still think that Ainslie will come back into the game. That man, that crew isn't easily defeated! I mentioned his tactics skills, but he also has a fighting spirit like no-one has. For my son, Ainslie is the personification of the sailor without mistakes. Never a gamble, always thinking ahead. Watching his races on TV with my son's comment is very strange. It goes like: "He's gonna tack in three..., two..., one... NOW! And he does. When I asked him if he'd seen the video before he told me that he was sure about the moment because it was the only correct moment. This Ainslie footage is very educating for sailors.

On the other hands, the VOR is much more important than the AC overhere, with several Dutch contenders and a Dutch boat. Next year, the VOR will finish in The Hague Harbour. And for that, the VOR has invited the European Optimist Championship into their Village! So for that VOR vs AC we have to watch the AC races a day later...

Menno
    Last edited by thieuster; 5th June 2017 at 23:51.

I was intrigued by the picture from Matias Capizzano above. A little web research revealed that it is from the Semana de Mar del Plata 2008 and it's no longer on his website...but his site (www.capizzano.com) is well worth a visit for some really good sailing photography (including a familiar face and boat to boat interaction in NZ).

However, there is an archive of his 2008 shots: link...it looks like it was a rough old week!

BAR are "all fixed"...and it looks as thought there should be plenty of wind today.
    Last edited by PickleB; 6th June 2017 at 14:33.

Blog Entries
    Interesting development in the personal gear as well: the PFD's (Personal Flotation Device) are not only there to keep you afloat, but also to protect you from an impact. This 'safety' first approach trickles down to lesser sailing gods... even the youngsters on their 29ers, 49ers, Nacra 15s an other high performance boats are more and more aware of their personal protection. Last year was the voluntary use of helmets, now followed by the impact vests as well!

Helmets and impact vests are not mandatory overhere on Dutch inshore and coastal waters. I know however from talking with other parents that the use of a helmet etc is a discussion often heard at the dinner table. No doubt that the cards will turn and that helmets are common within 3 or 4 yrs.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh B View Post
    Ben Ainslie is heading up Team GB in the challenge round, so as long as the money holds out we might be in for some interesting sailing ahead!

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/201...7-americas-cup
    no, and your banned Josh, we all miss you.

Thanks for that. Only last night I noticed that they had a mouthpiece amongst their equipment, but didn't realise an air supply was integrated into the jacket.

It makes sense for youngsters (and adults) to wear appropriate protection. There must be head injuries while sailing, I just don't know how prevalent or serious they are. I expect you have a much better idea about that than I ever will. Can you recall situations where a helmet would have prevented permanent or serious injury?

Lucky enough to be here today. It's quite windy so should make for some interesting action.

Bit's and pieces falling off both boats. Carbon fibre souvenirs around the harbour...
    Last edited by PickleB; 6th June 2017 at 18:40. Reason: spelling

SE Artemis giving the spectators something to think about...!

Edit: And then the spectators get their revenge?

Edit 2: Not the way BAR wanted to win...
    Last edited by PickleB; 6th June 2017 at 19:51.

Another view of a "Spectacular capsize by Emirates Team NZ": link.

Let's see if this works:

Last edited by PickleB; 6th June 2017 at 21:07.

Blog Entries
    Ouch. My first reaction? 20+ knots and foiling... although I don't know the exact cause off course.
    Those grinders... is it safe to be a grinder? Dunno...
    At least, it is obvious why they're wearing protective clothing and helmets!

Great images. We we're about as close to it happening as we could be in a spectator boat, but my video doesn't do it justice.
    Managed to get a good shot of Artemis parading afterwards.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I was fortunate enough to win a Team Time Trial at Silverstone last year & the prize was a day's visit to Land Rover BAR HQ & a trip out on the race boat. Unfortunately it was a bit too breezy on the day & we couldn't go out on the boat. Ben said that they might break the boat & then miss out on the next day's training which was forecast to be better weather. It was all very interesting though & we may get to go back another day

Blog Entries
    For you landlubbers who are used to the Beaufort scale: sailors are used to talk about windspeed in Nautical miles. Simple but rough rule to figure out the Beauforts: you take the Nmls, add 5 Nmls and divide that with 5 = the Beauforts. Like on the video: 21 Nmls + 5 = 26 /5 = ± 5 Bft ( a little more).

M

I have to use: Wind Converter. It also converts into kph, mph and m/s.

Blog Entries
    I have to use: Wind Converter. It also converts into kph, mph and m/s.

Is a good one. However, most sailors pick up the daily weather forecast (or see it on the announcement wall of the regatta office) and make conversion in their head. The Beaufort scale is not very accurate. In cases like the AC - or no matter what other important regatta- the wind factor also influences the choice of the sail, the tactics (wave height) etc. 3 or 4 knots more wind can be a huge difference but in Beaufort it is still the same 'number'.

An example: even low tech optimists have different mainsheets for different windspeed. Between 7 and 10 knots, sailors use a thinner, lighter line as their mainsheet (the rope the sailor uses to pull in the sail), 10 and above, they use a thicker (= standard) line. 7 knots is 3 bft, 11 knots is still 3 bft. But a huge difference when sailing!

Menno

No racing today...23 kn gusting 29 kn in the Grand Sound at the moment.

Oh well...until tomorrow.

Blog Entries
    Same as the railways overhere. This small window of 'operational windforces' (roughly translated from Dutch) shows the difference between an AC racer and a boat for the Volvo Ocean Race or the Transat Bakerly.
    Important is the fact that these new superfast AC racers are used near the coast for max spectator enjoyment. Speed, looks, spectaculair sailing

Interesting views 5m20s onwards, but this YouTube link should run from slightly later. "Take the analogy"..."it's high stakes dice rolling"..."I'm not sure I'm supposed to say that"..."this is still absolutely sailing"...etc.

Edit: This is a screen shot from Tuesday:

...courtesy of The Damage...taken from an inside location (sensible chap ).
    Last edited by PickleB; 8th June 2017 at 12:04.

Craftsman

NZ - Pitchpole

Great video of NZ pitch poling (aft over bows so to speak).

Scroll down the selection of videos.
    http://www.ybw.com/boat-events/ameri...petition-54122

It's mind blowing that these things travel faster than the wind that propels them.

Well...NZ don't seem to be suffering and BAR now need something of a miracle.

Blog Entries
    Well...NZ don't seem to be suffering and BAR now need something of a miracle.
    I can't watch it from here. Tell me (us) what you know - by PM if you don't want to spoil it for others

Back in the game - a least for a little longer!

Is anyone else keeping track with www.americascup.com/en/virtualeye.html?

As the wind shifts they alter the boundaries and shift the gates...during the race!

Craftsman
    Is anyone else keeping track with www.americascup.com/en/virtualeye.html?

As the wind shifts they alter the boundaries and shift the gates...during the race!
    This is quite usual practice in Sailing regattas if the wind shifts over 15 degrees.