closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2017 Americas Cup - is Britain in with a chance this time?

Banned

2017 Americas Cup - is Britain in with a chance this time?

Ben Ainslie is heading up Team GB in the challenge round, so as long as the money holds out we might be in for some interesting sailing ahead!

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/201...7-americas-cup

Yes agreed, with Ben at the helm we have more than just a chance.

A fantastic sailor no doubt. Maybe lacks proper match racing experience.

Word is that Adrian Newey might become involved. Aerodynamics and hydrodynamics are more or less the same science, and Adrian has been looking for a fresh challenge.

As for Sir Ben lacking experience - wasn't he parachuted into the New Zealand team which subsequently achieved one of the great sporting comebacks of all time? It's hard to imagine somebody better suited to the task.

As usual, it will only be a question of money.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Backward point View Post
    Word is that Adrian Newey might become involved. Aerodynamics and hydrodynamics are more or less the same science, and Adrian has been looking for a fresh challenge.

As for Sir Ben lacking experience - wasn't he parachuted into the New Zealand team which subsequently achieved one of the great sporting comebacks of all time? It's hard to imagine somebody better suited to the task.

As usual, it will only be a question of money.
    He certainly has the tactical and strategic nous for the events itself - i took the comment to mean does he have the experience of running a team, dealing with the money aspects and all the logistical tasks etc. Great sportsmen don't always make great managers - only some of the skill sets are involved in both aspects and each side has a unique aspect that the other doesn't.

While Ben may not have experience of team management he's certainly been in the right place to see how they work. Everyone has to start somewhere...why not at the top?

Whether or not his personality is suited to the task remains to be seen. It could be that he's a bit of an individualist. However there is plenty of management experience amongst the backers (link), so hopefully they'll be able to guide him...and the team...to success.
    Last edited by PickleB; 11th September 2014 at 18:15.

I will have to ask my brother - he's heavily involved in the handicap and coursee setting etc, flies all over the world checking the boats before during and after the cup. All goes over my head as I'm not really into sailing!

Banned
    I am very happy to see that Bermuda will be the host nation! Sorry San-D!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    ???

Irony, I hope!?

I'm not British, so even without the usual chauvinism I would say he's one of the best sailors ever.

Menno

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    ???

Irony, I hope!?

I'm not British, so even without the usual chauvinism I would say he's one of the best sailors ever.

Menno
    There was no irony, and I am not British so no chauvinism from me. Many successful AC defenders/attackers were unknown in the sailing world outside of their very specific subject.
    Likewise, many great names in sailing got their butt kicked in match racing. It really is very specific, and there is nothing I know that will allow me to predict with any insight how good a challenge Ainslie will mount.

It is true that now we have moved away from the 'traditional' jauge things can open up. We'll see.

See America's Cup and World Match Racing Tour. It seems he's been match racing since 2005...with a degree of success.

Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    See America's Cup and World Match Racing Tour. So It seems he's been match racing since 2005...with a degree of success.
    I know. We'll see...

I know. We'll see...
    So what is proper match racing, please? As in:

There is a difference between being the tactician -where his experience is immense, and applies to match racing, as he has proved, and spear heading a challenge.

Not many winners in the match racing cup made it successfully to the AC, and vice versa. He starts with superb credentials, but the proof will be on the water if he gets to being the challenger.

Craftsman
    So all that malarkey in the last one does not count as experience !!!!!
    Sorry you are talking out of your backside and insulting one of the Worlds finest sailors in any form with your hogwash.

You're being stupid.

I did not insult him as I praised his achievements, probably more than you did.

He has contributed to Oracle's win as a tactician. Did you doubt that he could do tactics before? I didn't.

Should he be a tactician on any boat, that boat will perform well tactically. Possibly better than the other exceptional tactician on the other boat. Will that make him win? only if his boat is at least as good as his opponent, overall. A lesser boat can still win a duel, but can it be done most of the time? I don't think so.

As head of a challenge, he is untested. He has to get the best possible boat, the best possible crew, and hope that the combination of both will be better than all the other challenges. On this, he is still green. Which does not mean he can't do it.
    No lack of respect, just fact. Or is that beyond your comprehension?
    Last edited by Saint-Just; 23rd November 2014 at 17:59.

Craftsman
    One wonders what a sportsman would have to do to gain your approval and respect .?
    Sometimes one needs to put on rose tinted spectacles and just be a fan and wish your man the very best and be willing to cheer till one is hoarse in support of them.
    Unless of course the experts view from behind the keyboard is better......

A couple of BAR videos:

Banned
    Great videos and lovely to see them out in Dockyard which is absolutely replete with British naval history, getting acquainted with the place and its waters!

Last edited by Josh B; 24th February 2015 at 01:27.

Master
    I love Bermuda. If I could spend the rest of my life there by selling wife, kids, watches and bicycles I would.

As head of a challenge, he is untested. He has to get the best possible boat, the best possible crew, and hope that the combination of both will be better than all the other challenges. On this, he is still green.
    He's not doing it alone - some would call him a figurehead which is perhaps unkind but he is being assisted and supported by people who have run teams, organised events and been jolly successful at things like raising funds, recruiting, management, sponsorship and the like.

You're right that we just don't know but you would be daft to dismiss them :)

Quote Originally Posted by kungfugerbil View Post
    He's not doing it alone - some would call him a figurehead which is perhaps unkind but he is being assisted and supported by people who have run teams, organised events and been jolly successful at things like raising funds, recruiting, management, sponsorship and the like.

You're right that we just don't know but you would be daft to dismiss them :)
    Promo:

Last edited by PickleB; 24th February 2015 at 14:43.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Beaunidle View Post
    I love Bermuda. If I could spend the rest of my life there by selling wife, kids, watches and bicycles I would.
    Likewise love the place! The only way you could stay forever would be to marry a Bermudian (as it currently stands.)

It's now Land Rover BAR

The team is now Land Rover BAR (link). The promo video:

And the whole event is down to six teams racing catamarans not exceeding 14.65 m overall length.

Edit: And then there's this: Bremont launches America's Cup Collection. See also: Bremont site announcement and Collection:

Last edited by PickleB; 24th June 2015 at 15:30.

Banned
    Yes, it was the Italians that went off in a hissy at the smaller boat thing, wasnt it?

Quote Originally Posted by Josh B View Post
    Yes, it was the Italians that went off in a hissy at the smaller boat thing, wasnt it?
    It was indeed Team Luna Rossa: link. And the Challenger of Record, Hamilton Island Yacht Club Team Australia had gone the previous year: link.

Here comes the next generation...

Watch: Red Bull Foiling Generation UK highlights (video is down the page).

More (all sizes): here.

And, in another sport, in case you haven't heard of it: the Red Bull MotoGP Rookies Cup. Have a look at the riders and alumni, where you'll find you'll find one Danny Kent who is currently enjoying a deal of success in Moto3.

So, despite all the whinging in F1, IMO Red Bull are getting some things right.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    Watch: Red Bull Foiling Generation UK highlights (video is down the page).

More (all sizes): here.

And, in another sport, in case you haven't heard of it: the Red Bull MotoGP Rookies Cup. Have a look at the riders and alumni, where you'll find you'll find one Danny Kent who is currently enjoying a deal of success in Moto3.

So, despite all the whinging in F1, IMO Red Bull are getting some things right.
    Niceeeeee. I think that sailing will divide in two categories: foiled and non-foiled. Currently young sailors learn to sail in an oppi. Next step is a Laser 4.7 or Radial. About half the 15 y/o sailors form Holland (and Denmark) step into the adventure called 29er. As a stepping stone for the 49er skiff. From there, it's a small step to a foiled boat.

But... these lightweight boats are (1) very expensive and (2) very 'iffy' when it comes to durability. In short: one hour sailing is two hours spannering.

Last June, a father from another sailor came up to me and asked if I was interested in a joint venture for his son and mine. The boys get along fine, that's no problem, but we (both) parents have to sign a legal document about money, time and effort. In short: no, thanks. A lot of other parents think alike. That's why this expensive form of sailing will not become the standard for all sailing.

Menno
    Last edited by thieuster; 9th July 2015 at 19:47.

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    Niceeeeee. I think that sailing will divide in two categories: foiled and non-foiled. Currently young sailors learn to sail in an oppi. Next step is a Laser 4.7 or Radial. About half the 15 y/o sailors form Holland (and Denmark) step into the adventure called 29er. As a stepping stone for the 49er skiff. From there, it's a small step to a foiled boat.

But... these lightweight boats are (1) very expensive and (2) very 'iffy' when it comes to durability. In short: one hour sailing is two hours spannering.

Last June, a father from another sailor came up to me and asked if I was interested in a joint venture for his son and mine. The boys get along fine, that's no problem, but we (both) parents have to sign a legal document about money, time and effort. In short: no, thanks. A lot of other parents think alike. That's why this expensive form of sailing will not become the standard for all sailing.

Menno
    You're right, foiling will be elite classes, eg the Extreme Sailing Series. Fortunately we in Britain are, IMO, well served by the RYA and their British Youth Sailing Programmes. On their site you'll see the link to the Redbull Foiling Generation poster advertising the invitation from Red Bull. Then comes sponsorship...

Ben's off to a decent start:

America’s Cup World Series results

Overall
    team
    Land Rover BAR
    Emirates Team New Zealand
    Oracle Team USA
    SoftBank Team Japan
    Groupama Team France
    Artemis Racing
    Race 1
    Land Rover BAR
    Oracle Team USA
    SoftBank Team Japan
    Artemis Racing
    Groupama Team France
    Race 2
    Land Rover BAR
    Groupama Team France
    Oracle Team USA
    SoftBank Team Japan
    Artemis Racing

They're in Gothenburg this weekend...and there was some wind on the first practice day:

And on the second practice day:

Last edited by PickleB; 29th August 2015 at 10:52.

Banned
    Good result for Artemis today!

Quote Originally Posted by Josh B View Post
    Good result for Artemis today!
    Rats...I forgot and missed the races. It's good to see Artemis did well in today's three races while BA and Oracle both seem to have fluffed in one race each (as did ETNZ). Looking forward to watching the action tomorrow evening.

Banned
    I feel bad for BAR, critical error lost places from which they never recovered. Pity the first day was called off but you cant command the elements!

They're not doing at all badly. "Land Rover BAR up to second..." place overall in the series with a couple of more events to go: Results page.

Banned

Was good racing over the weekend. First time on a lake presenting a different challenge for the teams. Those cats are seriously tough to sail well and the slightest mis-calculation can see them drop off the foils and basically stop dead (as BAR did in the second race yesterday), but if you can get them foiling they hit some serious speed, even upwind.

Hoping Ben and the boys can bring the cup home.

Portsmouth this weekend. BBClink.

And a promotional video:

Last edited by PickleB; 21st July 2016 at 20:32.

It seems a shame that Bremont are sponsoring the USA team. I guess it makes good sense financially.

Quote Originally Posted by jools View Post
    It seems a shame that Bremont are sponsoring the USA team. I guess it makes good sense financially.
    Marketing opportunity in the US? After all, they have pursued several UK marques from MB to HMS Victory.

Land Rover BAR have a boat for May / June:

...and the 35th America’s Cup in Bermuda.

The support series will be the Red Bull Youth America's Cup:

...where the Land Rover BAR Academy will represent GB.

Blog Entries
    Great stuff! F1 of sailing. I will be glued to the screen when it's on! Thanks for posting this.

Menno

Craftsman
    Will be watching, I think the GB team are definitely in with a very good chance of winning.
    Thanks for posting.

I found this site today while looking for some info about the boats to be used in AC35: CupInfo.

What prompted my search was watching a YouTube video from AC34 where they used the AC72 as opposed to the AC45F being used this time around. This picture illustrates the difference (the AC48...and AC62...never came into being, as far as I can tell):

courtesy of Chevalier Taglang

...and the crew size comes down from 11 to 6 (5 + 1 guest, according to some sites). But they've managed to tack the AC45F on the foil:

Last edited by PickleB; 16th April 2017 at 13:49.

Wasn't there a rule change which dictated that the entire boat had to fit inside a standard 40 foot shipping container when broken down for transportation?

Master
    I've been to the last 2 years races in Portsmouth. Great to watch live but absolutely no idea what was going on, who was leading or who won until it had happened. Much easier to follow on the TV.

That's novel:

Match racing pairs of these:

...should provide something worth watching.

Edit: For an idea, see www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgIM4qr8Sxk.
    Last edited by PickleB; 30th April 2017 at 23:56.

I got it a bit wrong at post #44. The AC45F is being used for the Red Bull Youth America's Cup, but for the main event the boats are a little bigger...and more complicated...see link:

For 2017, each team must design and build it’s own America’s Cup Class (ACC) boat. These boats are 15-metres long (nearly 50-feet) and are built to a design rule, but that rule allows designers and engineers to express their creativity in their designs. All racing in 2017, from the Louis Vuitton America’s Cup Qualifiers to the America’s Cup Match, presented by Louis Vuitton, will be match racing in ACC boats.

Blog Entries
    I think that the Kiwis made a brilliant move! Working on a boat on the far end of the world and then stepping into the light with this! It's possible a game changer like Ainsley's move to Oracle USA. That reshuffled the deck of cards completely!

Personally, I still think that Britain stands a chance with this team and this preparation. And I would like to see them win.

On the other hand, I am not a fan of foiling/sailing. For this AC syndicate stuff it's great and wonderful to watch, but not for 'normal' sailing. I was on a RIB last Sunday on Lake IJsselmeer, a large inland lake in the heart of the Netherlands. My son sailed a regatta there with his Laser Radial - the waves were at least 2m high (22 knots - low shore) some waves even looked like the surf in front of a beach. I can not see how a foiled dinghy stands a chance in that sort of conditions.

Menno