closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 2017 Americas Cup - is Britain in with a chance this time?

Quote Originally Posted by Riley View Post
    This is quite usual practice in Sailing regattas if the wind shifts over 15 degrees.
    I'd expect that between races. I just didn't think that it would happen in the middle of a 20 minute race.

Another reason for me to stick with offshore sailing...not including races.

Craftsman
    For those with out BT Sport the BBC have some highlights on Sunday at noon on BBC2.

If you have never watched a regatta because you think sailing might be boring but you love your sport I'd urge you to take a look.

Was at the finish line yesterday. Maybe not the result that we wanted but it certainly was an exciting day and a great experience. The Kiwis have travelled in great numbers making for a real party atmosphere and I hope now that they can go on and win it.

Craftsman
    Luck boy Dan.
    Being in and around the marina on event days is special let alone in a great location.

Sailing is unfortunately not a very good live spectator sport when at the venue for obvious reasons, easier to follow two boats rather than a fleet of course. How much racing did you mange to follow?

Quote Originally Posted by Riley View Post
    Luck boy Dan.
    Being in and around the marina on event days is special let alone in a great location.

Sailing is unfortunately not a very good live spectator sport when at the venue for obvious reasons, easier to follow two boats rather than a fleet of course. How much racing did you mange to follow?
    I guess that sailing, like motorsport, is always best viewed on television. The view from the grandstand was much better than from the spectator boats. We had a full view of the course but the distance involved made things difficult to judge. Thankfully there was a big screen and full commentary so it was very easy to follow.

Two races today...but will there be any racing? Winds are up again...

That said, the boats are out there.

Update: Race on...and JPN are Off!
    Last edited by PickleB; 9th June 2017 at 18:09.

The first three races of the challengers playoff final today. Interesting doesn't quite cover it. I thought that ETNZ were going to walk away with it, but that soon changed...and then MOB!

Looking forward to tomorrow...

Ride him cowboy...!

The wind may be dropping and that may bring the difference in today's boards into play.

And...we will be racing on the third day of this challenger final.

Race 3 (today) and the wind is rising again...

If I were Oracle I'd be getting worried that these two are getting better match experience, shaking out the problems with their boats under stress...and gaining experience. Should be a good Cup match.
    Last edited by PickleB; 11th June 2017 at 19:51.

Here we go! First to seven...noting that ETNZ start from -1.

Under 10 kn of wind for the two races today. Perhaps a little more tomorrow.

Sunday Edit: Only a couple of knots more wind today. Let's see what Oracle can do...?

One race over...that was impressive.
    Last edited by PickleB; 18th June 2017 at 18:33.

Slowmo footage of ETNZ:

Tu & We 19-20 June: Red Bull Youth America’s Cup:

The best youth sailors on the planet will vie for glory in the Red Bull Youth America’s Cup this week – and try to catch the eye of the America’s Cup teams who are also competing on Bermuda’s Great Sound. Can the surprise team of the tournament pull off an upset?

It's on Red Bull TV: link.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    Slowmo footage of ETNZ:

Beautiful chorography! Very difficult to keep the boat foiling. Despite this 'haute cuisine of sailing' I do prefer other challenges...

Sydney - Hobart footage!

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    Beautiful chorography! Very difficult to keep the boat foiling. Despite this 'haute cuisine of sailing' I do prefer other challenges...

Sydney - Hobart footage!

...video....]
    Nah...racing, you can keep it. Sitting on the rail...tried it...I don't enjoy it. Something more sensible, please, eg:

Yep...I'm one of those old folks.

Blog Entries
    Nah...racing, you can keep it. Sitting on the rail...tried it...I don't enjoy it. Something more sensible, please, eg:

Yep...I'm one of those old folks.
    I love it! But, tbh, I am suffering from seasickness everytime I go down below in the cabin.
    On the pics: a trip to Lowestoft a few weeks back. Not a race though. The pics are taken from another boat heading the same direction.

The boat belongs to a 'sailing father': a guy like me, attending regattas with his son. The boat is an early 60s steel Trintel. A Dutch designed and built boat. 6 tons of beautilly painted steel and wood.

Last edited by thieuster; 20th June 2017 at 08:22.

Two, three or four more days to go starting on Saturday. Can USA keep it going?

Catch up with Race 3 & 4 Highlights on iPlayer...more episodes here.

Tu & We 19-20 June: Red Bull Youth America’s Cup:

The best youth sailors on the planet will vie for glory in the Red Bull Youth America’s Cup this week – and try to catch the eye of the America’s Cup teams who are also competing on Bermuda’s Great Sound. Can the surprise team of the tournament pull off an upset?

It's on Red Bull TV: link.

It's nearly time to race..and there's a bit more wind than yesterday.

Edit: Worth a watch...penalties all round...and quite a climax.
    Last edited by PickleB; 21st June 2017 at 19:34.

Blog Entries
    Back in the time: the Vanderbilts and Rockefellers of the prewar era had J Class yachts built for racing the America's Cup. Currently a group of these boats, including a few newly built boats are competing too. As the J-Class America's Cup. This week won by the Dutch built and owned J-H1: Lionhart. Owned by the inventor & owner of Psion and... TomTom.
    On board Bouwe Bekking. Dutch Voivo Ocean racer and hero of many young Dutch sailors especially because he takes the time to address these kids in person or on Skype before or during a tournament.

Menno

Quote Originally Posted by PamFan View Post
    Congrats to BAR for winning the Juniors!
    I'll join you in that, if I may, and add my commiserations to ETNZ...'they were robbed'.

The other end of the scale:

Last edited by PickleB; 22nd June 2017 at 19:08.

Game on...!

Sunday updates: Wind is a bit marginal this morning...but still 5 hours plus until they're due to start.

4 hours to go and the wind is rising...OK for racing at the moment.

13h30 local time and the wind is dying back down towards a 6 kn average...hmmm?

15 mins to go and the winds have stabilised around 8 kn...so it looks like they will go racing today.
    Last edited by PickleB; 25th June 2017 at 17:58.

To answer the OP's question...I think they were in with a chance and did a good job. Here's my take on it:

In the Qualifiers, NZ came second, loosing 2 races to the US, who topped the rankings. BAR came third and Artemis forth, but Artemis won more races than BAR.

Thereafter, BAR completed 5 races against NZ and won 2 (defaulting on 2 owing to a breakage). Artemis also won 2 (out of 7), then the US won only 1 in 9 races against NZ.

Complete races Playoffs Semi Playoffs Final Cup Match
    E T NZ 3 5 8
    LR BAR 2 mechanical fault lost 2 points to NZ
    A R SE 2
    O T USA 1
    LR BAR 2
    A R SE 2
    O T USA 1

The best team/boat won, but, IMO, BAR put up a very creditable performance when matched against them.

What will NZ dream up for the next event?

A nice round-up with some good shots of the J Class racing and news about the VOR (at the end):

Conditions for next America's Cup:

More to come in September: Press Release:

The Royal New Zealand Yacht Squadron and Circolo della Vela Sicilia as the Challenger of Record, together with their respective representative teams Emirates Team New Zealand and Luna Rossa Challenge, are pleased to announce that the Protocol establishing the parameters for the 36th America's Cup will be released in September 2017.
    Last edited by PickleB; 21st July 2017 at 19:40.

Dakar to Guadalupe (11 days plus)...in a 6 m open boat!

Dakar to Guadeloupe? Small beer for Yvan Bourgnon:
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=3AYNv2IR_5A

He is now sailing the North West passage...
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Not long before the 2017-18 Volvo Ocean Race...HomePage.

Meanwhile a basic protocol for the 36th America's Cup has been released (link):

• 75 foot, high performance monohull, boats governed by the AC75 Class Rule
    • Races are expected to be around 40 mins, longer races than Bermuda, including a longer pre-start and up-wind start
    • When racing, at least 20% or 3 sailors of the total crew (which ever is higher) must be true nationals. The remainder of the crew need to comply with the residency rules:

• True Nationals, ie a citizen of the country of the competing yacht club
    • Resident of the Country: The sailor must be physically present in the country of the yacht club for a minimum of 380 days in the 2 year period between the 1st September 2018 and 31st August 2020
    • Which equates to just over 6 months of each year
    • It still provides plenty of opportunities for internationals to sail for other teams, it just means they need to commit to living in the country of the yacht club their team represents

• 3 x America’s Cup World Series preliminary events
    • 10-20 Dec - America’s Cup Christmas Race

• Jan & Feb - The PRADA Cup Challenger Selection series
    • March - The America’s Cup Match

VOR in-port race:

And here's the scoreboard: link.

And they're off. See the tracker: link.

And they're off. See the tracker: link.
    Leg 4 to Hong Kong...5000 nm and two weeks plus of sailing, then this:

Only yesterday I was looking at the tracker and the approaches to HK on www.marinetraffic.com. I couldn't find the yachts using their mmsi on any of the live trackers, but that may have been because they were too far offshore. It certainly looked pretty busy and I didn't envy them racing into the harbour entrance. Lying in second place, Vestas collided with a fishing vessel, sending their crew into the water (link). There was one fatality but all the rest were rescued (link). Vestas was damaged but managed to proceed to HK with minor injuries only to the crew.

NB Beware of plot spoilers in the links.

I like the cinema, but I'm not sure that I'll like this one: The Mercy...out in UK cinemas from February 9.

It's the story of Donald Crowhurst that was much reported at the time (1969) and later.

NB Beware of plot spoilers in the links.

I like the cinema, but I'm not sure that I'll like this one: The Mercy...out in UK cinemas from February 9.

It's the story of Donald Crowhurst that was much reported at the time (1969) and later.
    Jacques Perrin is a co-producer of this film. In 1981 he was the lead role on a French film called 'Les Quarantièmes Rugissants' (the Roaring Forties) where his character was inspired by Crowhurst's story.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Jacques Perrin is a co-producer of this film. In 1981 he was the lead role on a French film called 'Les Quarantièmes Rugissants' (the Roaring Forties) where his character was inspired by Crowhurst's story.
    I didn't know that...but you forgot to mention that it also starred Julie Christie...