closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Nurses fob watches

Nurses fob watches

I would guess that I would be mainly talking to male nurses here in light of the general demographic......

Just wondering whether there are any pics of fob watches that you would like to share

I havent needed to wear one for many years but have just bought one on eBay that looks identical to the one I wore as a young Staff Nurse in the 70's

Nice to have one of these again to join my GNC and Hospital badges

These days I am a Matron and times have moved on but I am overcome with nostalgia when I think of one of these

My mum was a staff nurse and this was her watch.

Master
    my wife is a nurse and wears a simple cheap timex fob watch.

are there any more swanky offerings? i know it would be a bit ridiculous to buy an expensive fob watch as it really is a true tool watch but i like the idea of buying her a special one and she has started to enjoy and appreciate nicer watches.

Master
    There are fob watches and .............................

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by poppy View Post
    my wife is a nurse and wears a simple cheap timex fob watch.

are there any more swanky offerings? i know it would be a bit ridiculous to buy an expensive fob watch as it really is a true tool watch but i like the idea of buying her a special one and she has started to enjoy and appreciate nicer watches.
    Speedy Pro with Pulsometer bezel?

Quote Originally Posted by Caruso View Post
    Speedy Pro with Pulsometer bezel?

No, cant wear that, not within the rules. One has to be " bare below the waistline" .
    No, that's not right, I mean, "bare below the elbows"..
    That's the 'mantra' now.

Master
    My wife has a fair few from timex, lorus and cheap ones, the best I've seen in the shops is a rotary one.

I've got a design in my head for a fob watch based on comments my wife has made, one day I might try and get my idea built, but a lack of knowledge and ability holds me back currently.

Journeyman

Master
    I have this one, picked it up NOS a few years ago

Quote Originally Posted by dl_griff View Post
    I have this one, picked it up NOS a few years ago

That's lovely.

I'd prefer the missus to go to work with that clipped to her uniform than the Sekonda that she's got at the moment :-)

For some reason, when I was searching for nurses fob watches, i always ended up with pictures of Patsy Kensit or Camilla Arfwedson from Holby on my screen...

Master
    Just found this, shows all the Heuer nurses models from 1983

Last edited by dl_griff; 6th September 2014 at 11:05.

Blog Entries
    Nice to see these real watches getting an airing... sadly, a lot of nurses these days where those cheap rubbery looking quartzy purple things you can grab on eBay.

Well done on your very worthwhile career choices... superb!

As an ambulance driver, we are allowed a watch, providing it is cleanable and essentially not fabric.

So a G*Shock is quite the norm (even here with me), though the Speedmaster Professional does get an airing at times.

Quote Originally Posted by bloater View Post
    a lack of knowledge and ability holds me back
    The story of my life.

Master
    I managed to find a NOS Pulse and Respiration Timer

Dare we ask how much one of those changes hands for..?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    Dare we ask how much one of those changes hands for..?
    I paid £185

i love the bare below the elbows logic to stop the spread of infection

but the fob watch is ok

it's not disinfected, you'd have to do it every couple of hours

so rather then a wrist watch which you can glance out without touching it, now you have to touch something which is dirty, does anyone wash their hands after this, no

sorry wrist watches are a better more practical solution then fob watches, the whole bare below the elbows is spread by people with more time then intelligence

Quote Originally Posted by dl_griff View Post
    I paid £185
    Seems reasonable. I had no idea if it would be £6 or £600.

Colleagues have told me the evidence base for bare-below-the-elbow is a bit shonky, but I haven't really looked into it as I could never see beyond the inherent contradictions built into a policy that lets me wear a wedding ring on one of my fingers (which touch patients a lot) but not a watch on my wrist (which doesn't really come into contact with them at all).

Lanyards are another story and are prone to wafting and waving over most things, but I've never seen anyone be asked to remove one on the wards...

The thinking as far as it goes, as told by our infection control people, is that its not a great problem to wash around and under your wedding band if using the prescribed hand hygiene technique.
    Also, if your on the wards or in theatres, there is a good amount of positioning of patients, assisting into chairs/transport etc etc. A good chance to catch your watch against skin, risking damage to your patient, and also pick debris ( and a lot worse and more smelly) on the strap/bracelet/between the lugs etc. (Apologies if I'm telling you stuff you already know)
    I don't wear one at work myself, no real need, and if you actually did cause even minor damage to a patient with your watch, you've seen all those verminous ambulance chaser law firms advertising on the telly.....
    Last edited by sestrel; 22nd September 2014 at 21:53.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post
    I would guess that I would be mainly talking to male nurses here in light of the general demographic......

Just wondering whether there are any pics of fob watches that you would like to share

I havent needed to wear one for many years but have just bought one on eBay that looks identical to the one I wore as a young Staff Nurse in the 70's

Nice to have one of these again to join my GNC and Hospital badges

These days I am a Matron and times have moved on but I am overcome with nostalgia when I think of one of these
    My mum (a now retired EN) gave me her one of these when I finished my nursing diploma, unfortunately it was a non runner and a watch maker told me the movement was so cheaply made it was unserviceable. :(

I only started wearing a fob when they really clamped down on wristwatches. It took me a really long time to stop checking my wrist! I recently bought a manual wind ingersoll fob via ebay which is temperamental, I hope to get it serviced and maybe even use it. I will get a couple of photos posted.

I love that Heuer fob watch, rather envious!

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by sestrel View Post
    The thinking as far as it goes, as told by our infection control people, is that its not a great problem to wash around and under your wedding band if using the prescribed hand hygiene technique.
    Also, if your on the wards or in theatres, there is a good amount of positioning of patients, assisting into chairs/transport etc etc. A good chance to catch your watch against skin, risking damage to your patient, and also pick debris ( and a lot worse and more smelly) on the strap/bracelet/between the lugs etc. (Apologies if I'm telling you stuff you already know)
    I don't wear one at work myself, no real need, and if you actually did cause even minor damage to a patient with your watch, you've seen all those verminous ambulance chaser law firms advertising on the telly.....
    I know where you're coming from but I don't particularly like the concession to wedding bands on fingers being ok, and watches on wrists being bad. After all, if you wash your hands properly you will be washing your wrists anyway and you can loosen your watch off to get under the bracelet.

Doctors tend not to do too much positioning of patients and I don't really remember anyone complaining of being bashed by my watches in the past, though my lanyard tends to waft and wave into people if I forget to throw it behind my back when I'm examining someone.

I'd like to go back to white coats to be honest. A fresh one each shift and at least the patients know they're clean, but that's another debate...!

Quote Originally Posted by j0hnbarker View Post
    I know where you're coming from but I don't particularly like the concession to wedding bands on fingers being ok, and watches on wrists being bad. After all, if you wash your hands properly you will be washing your wrists anyway and you can loosen your watch off to get under the bracelet.

Doctors tend not to do too much positioning of patients and I don't really remember anyone complaining of being bashed by my watches in the past, though my lanyard tends to waft and wave into people if I forget to throw it behind my back when I'm examining someone.

I'd like to go back to white coats to be honest. A fresh one each shift and at least the patients know they're clean, but that's another debate...!
    I've got the answer for you, now you have the perfect excuse to wear a fine pocket watch on a chain, an no one will think ill of you for it

One of mine..

[IMG]

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post
    Would go well with your bow tie doctor
    Nah, the Doctor with the bow tie wore a vintage watch on the inside of his wrist. :D

Dave

I did actually work with a consultant anaesthetist in Bristol who wore a bow tie and a houndstooth suit. He looked like an extra from an Agatha Christie film. He was however, an excellent gasman who always kept his cool no matter what.
    He also took off his gold watch before starting his list too!

Master
    Most of the anaesthetists I have worked with kept theirs on TBH, Rolexes and all. Many prefer the more G-Shock style of wristwatch though. When I worked on the wards more, I was looking for a "decent" fob watch and couldn't find one suitable, went with the solution of putting my SKX007 on my belt which worked! Am liking some of the ones on this thread though. Now I am not really on the wards, wearing wristwatches is less of a problem.