timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Talk me out of a seiko shogun sbdc007

Journeyman

Talk me out of a seiko shogun sbdc007

Hi there

First post, but longtime lurker.

I have now settled down on buying a Seiko sbdc007 shogun based on the spec and the looks of it. I think given the specs these offer a huge amount of watch for the money.

- Titanium makes it ultralight
    - Durashield technology that reduces scratches
    - no monobloc, as compared to the MM300, so it can be serviced easily
    - stellar seikolume, as usual
    - niiice long lugs that hug your wrist
    - 6R15 movement

Here a stock pick, so you know what i mean:

What do you guys think? Is it woth buying without ever having had in my hands? Is it too risky to order a watch for 900€ from japan?
    io know some are put off by the hands but i think they givve the watch some personality.

Greetings from sweden

Banned
    There is an as new one, full set, for sale on this forum for £550, so if retention of value is important, buy used...

Quote Originally Posted by burnsey66 View Post
    There is an as new one, full set, for sale on this forum for £550, so if retention of value is important, buy used...
    This ^

I've never owned one but they are by all accounts terrific and it's on my 'to own' list. If you don't like it, you'll at most lose the postage if you buy one from here.

Very nice looking IMO and a decent movement that can be very accurate. Seem to be very well built and as you say, has it's own character.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by burnsey66 View Post
    Thanks for the tip.
    I'll see if its still there......in 60 days :-)
    Just registered, you now

WHat really gets me is the durashield treatment. i love the idea of a lightweight titanium watch that doesn't scratch easy.....

Master
    Its a great piece, certainly worth the money.

Only issue I have with it is the poor bracelet (very thin) but the build quality of the watch head is very good.

Blog Entries
    Swish me the money and be done with it. ;)
    Welcome to the forum!

No doubt the Shogun is an excellent watch, though I wonder if it's as much better than the Sumo as the price would imply. That's probably a matter of taste, but to me it's basically a Sumo with Monster hands and a 3 o'clock crown.

However, I have to own up here and say that I don't like titanium watches. I like the technology, and I actually prefer its functional matt grey finish to that of stainless steel. I don't like the light weight.

Odd as it seems, I like my watches to feel heavy. I'm never happier than when limping around like Quasimodo, weighed down by a Helson Shark Diver or a brace of BFKs on tank tracks for bracelets.

I had a titanium Seiko chronograph once and I was disappointed by how light and toy-like it felt. It felt as if it cost about £12.99 from M&S, if you know what I mean. Maybe I just like mass for my money. I don't think a watch is such a heavy thing that it needs lightening with high-tech materials, especially if it adds a lot to the cost.

You did say to talk you out of it, right?

Welcome to the forum.
    In general not a fan of this kind of posts- too much like WUS.
    Why should anyone want to talk you out of anything??
    Having said that, Shogun has a huge following and some consider it the best Ti watch ever made.
    I am on the fence. There are things that I like e.g the Durashiled and the lume and time keeping but I find it a little blah. Would have loved a little more personality like the MM300, one of my favorite Seikos and one of my favorite dive watches.

No. Don't buy a Seiko Shogun.

...Buy a Seiko Samurai instead ;)
    It's better looking IMO

Journeyman
    Thanks for the input everyone

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Welcome to the forum.
    In general not a fan of this kind of posts- too much like WUS.
    Why should anyone want to talk you out of anything??

I ´d need people to talk me out of it for two reasons:

1)
    I use to get somewhat blinded by the positive aspects of the watch i'm targeting. Too often you oversee the small things that bug you later when you have bought it. (Experienced this on a glorified Sinn 556i that became a huge disappointment once i held it in my hand). So why not ask for others experience that maybe stood where i stand now - what was it that made others think twice that i haven't thougt of?

2)
    Needed a catchy title ;-)
    Last edited by Barnefko; 3rd September 2014 at 22:19.

I've always liked the shogun, I prefer the styling to the Sumo, but I also think that you're paying a big premium over the Sumo for some crown guards and treated titanium.

But if the more traditional divers styling (eg 3 O Clock crown) and durashield is important to you, then it's a no brainer as there aren't many other options in the price range

Blog Entries
    Go for it.

I've got the orange version, and I love it.
    It's been everywhere wuith me from holidays in South America to holidays in the UK and not a mark on it.
    The scratchproof titanium wears very comfy and light.

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Apprentice
    You wan't us to talk you out of it?

Okay, don't do it! Spend the money on something else.

But seriously, you dont sound like someone looking for arguments not to buy. It looks like its quite the opposite.

If you want the watch, then buy it. I've never heard that the watch has dissappointed anyone. Buying from Japan is NOT a problem.

Craftsman
    I'm wearing mine right now , it's the most comfortable watch I've ever worn. Shame it doesn't have a sapphire crystal .

Journeyman
    Well well, you all confirm what I'm feeling about the shogun.
    As said earlier, the meaning of the thread is to get other points of view, if someone is not so into the watch.

Chrono24 and watch recon don't show too much in Europe so I think I'll order a new one from Japan.
    I'll keep you updated

1. Buy with your heart not your head - logic sucks the pleasure out of purchases.

2. You won't be a "proper" forum member until you've been through the buy-it/flip-it process a couple of times ;-)

Welcome aboard.

Quote Originally Posted by Barnefko View Post
    Thanks for the input everyone

I ´d need people to talk me out of it for two reasons:

1)
    I use to get somewhat blinded by the positive aspects of the watch i'm targeting. Too often you oversee the small things that bug you later when you have bought it. (Experienced this on a glorified Sinn 556i that became a huge disappointment once i held it in my hand). So why not ask for others experience that maybe stood where i stand now - what was it that made others think twice that i haven't thougt of?

2)
    Needed a catchy title ;-)
    I can talk you out but then you must buy Sumo ;)

Seriously: the price difference to Sumo is rather huge if only difference is the titanium vs. steel. Don't know from Seiko but I do know that titanium bracelets haven't been as durable as steel ones on Omega Seamasters. Are you out now ;)

JP

well... if you are into cameltoes.
    you got two.

it's not that bad.

Craftsman
    Best looking Seiko diver
    Titanium on the wrist is a revelation
    Buy it

Master
    Did you end up buying one?

Journeyman
    Hi
    I'm awaiting october salary before buying. Nothing yet came up that talks against the watch. It's by far the most bang for the buck you can get. Thing is though the longer I wait, the more other watches become more and more attractive. But maybe that's a good thing. If I decide on the shogun it will be without looking back.
    Right know I stand between three watches. The sinn 358, the sinn 103 Sa or the Shogun.
    All of these are completely different animals and the final decision will be determined on what's available on the second hand market. Maybe I will wait until the 50 day trial is over and I get access to the marketplace.

So basically the shogun ranks first unless a good ofer on one of the Sinns appears on the second hand market.

Master
    I owned one earlier this year and sold it. Which I regret doing now! At the time I had it it was actually getting more wrist time than my Pelagos.

Journeyman
    To be honest, I checked a few forums and threads about the shogun. One thing I read quite often is that people had one, got tired of the hands style, just wanted to "upgrade" or flipped it. All of those wrote that they regretted it. So that makes it quite interesting. It seems that no one wrote about a bad experience with it....

Blog Entries
    I still have it, orange and all, wearing it as we speak................

Daddel.

Journeyman
    Daddel:
    How do you feel about the hands? Did they ever bother you? Or better: did you ever feel you want to mod it and change the hands?
    On he other side, he Orange one is a completely different watch that's not supposed to be dressy....

mine is away getting a sapphire crystal fitted. can't wait for its return :)

Blog Entries
    Daddel:
    How do you feel about the hands? Did they ever bother you? Or better: did you ever feel you want to mod it and change the hands?
    On he other side, he Orange one is a completely different watch that's not supposed to be dressy....
    I love the monster hands, just not the Seiko monster, so for me a perfect, bit different, combination.
    And all the action, crown, bezel, feels really exact and precise.
    Seiko is honest about the specs, so if you can't live with the -15/+25 (nearly Always better) it's not for you.

It's really a great allrounder for me, goes with me on holiday to the jungle, swimming, hiking etc.
    So light, I don't notice it, and still not a mark on it because of the Dia-Shield.

And, it won't go for a service before it's 10th birthday...............

Daddel.

Journeyman
    The possibility to mod and repair this watch is another strong argument to buy one. You have plenty of folks that are familiar with the 6R15 and the screw down case back makes servicing outside of Japan possible. That's one of the things that turn me off with the mm300. Solid case back is nice but makes easy servicing impossible...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Daddelvirks View Post

It's really a great allrounder for me, goes with me on holiday to the jungle, swimming, hiking etc.
    So light, I don't notice it, and still not a mark on it because of the Dia-Shield.

Daddel.
    That's what I liked about it - it's versatility and the fact that I found it really comfortable to wear.

Craftsman
    I am also tempted by the Shogun but I have never bought a watch without trying one on first...and the hardlex crystal is somewhat of a deterant.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mborkow View Post
    I am also tempted by the Shogun but I have never bought a watch without trying one on first...and the hardlex crystal is somewhat of a deterant.
    Don't worry, I haven't managed to scratch that as well.

Trying it on might be wise.

Daddel.

Journeyman
    I read somewhere that the promasters have another type of hard lex hat doesn't compare to the cheapo seiko 5 hardlexes. I think I remember that sumo/shogun and mm300 have a higher quality Harley's than the rest.

I still have it, orange and all, wearing it as we speak................

Daddel.
    I thought you gave yours to uncle sumit?
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

. It's by far the most bang for the buck you can get.
    I don't agree

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    I don't agree
    I'm open for suggestions.
    Please recommend me another 200m titanium diver with durashield alike treatment and a fine automatic movement (no Eco drive please)

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mborkow View Post
    I'd think twice about the choice of crystal used, from what I've seen hardlex is a lot easier to scratch than sapphire and one of the main reasons I would look elsewhere.

Master
    I'm not a fan. Don't like the hands but the Hardlex would put me off any watch in this price range regardless of its benefits. Agreed it won't scratch easily nor shatter but get a mark on it and it'll ruin the watch for me

The Shogun is one of the best dive watches I have owned. It has no serious flaws and does a lot right. The crystal is easily replaced if you want sapphire.

Journeyman
    Niiiice pictures! Thank you!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bubi View Post
    well... if you are into cameltoes.
    you got two.

it's not that bad.
    Giggle ☺️

Blog Entries
    I thought you gave yours to uncle sumit?
    I gave my white Samurai to uncle Sumit, he's still wearing it

Daddel.

Blog Entries
    Why is it always the people that only deskdive or hold on to watches for a maximum of a few months that bother so much abouit a crystal, that I haven't managed to scratch yet.................

Daddel.

I gave my white Samurai to uncle Sumit, he's still wearing it

Daddel.
    Tell him I'll give him 150 for it :)

Blog Entries
    Tell him I'll give him 150 for it :)
    You, you, with your western cash, trying to con uncle Sumit out of his precious Samurai, how very dare you!

Daddel.

sold mine to get a ceramic tuna,
    while i love the tuna I do still miss the shogun it was one of the nicest watches i have ever had.

Last edited by animalone; 24th October 2014 at 09:37. Reason: Found old picture on phone

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by oiljam View Post
    I'm not a fan. Don't like the hands but the Hardlex would put me off any watch in this price range regardless of its benefits. Agreed it won't scratch easily nor shatter but get a mark on it and it'll ruin the watch for me
    A little bit more in the planning stage and Seiko might have been on to a winner, the hardlex is one of the major shortcomings due to it's poor scratch resistance.

Quote Originally Posted by Captainhowdy View Post
    A little bit more in the planning stage and Seiko might have been on to a winner, the hardlex is one of the major shortcomings due to it's poor scratch resistance.
    No need to misrepresent such things. Hardlex does not have 'poor' scratch resistance at all. The Shogun I pictured above has completed scores of dives and is scratch-free. That wouldn't be possible with 'poor' scratch resistance.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bedlam View Post
    No need to misrepresent such things. Hardlex does not have 'poor' scratch resistance at all. The Shogun I pictured above has completed scores of dives and is scratch-free. That wouldn't be possible with 'poor' scratch resistance.
    Give up, he doesn't own a watch long enough to do any damage to it, and doesn't own a Seiko.
    He's just always afraid about things that might happen to a watch, things he never will encounter, due to only pampering them. It's all academic so to say...........

Daddel.
    Last edited by Daddelvirks; 24th October 2014 at 12:00.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bedlam View Post

You appear to be lucky, not so here though, it's crystal clear that hardlex is not very scratch resistant, a factory option to upgrade would be a progressive step forward from Seiko.