closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Cat fleas

Grand Master

Cat fleas

Tried everything with no change.I'm getting eaten alive!.

help,anyone got a remedy to eradicate them from the carpets.

The wife has bought several products and then hoovered used a carpet wash cleaner and still I get them on my ankles,just got 2 a few mins ago...Grrrrrr.

Im getting desperate,NO I am desperate to find something that works.

Thanks.

smoke bombs. you'll need to do it two or three times, no skimping on the portions either. at least one per room.
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Friend of mine had this. They had to move out for a week and have the house fumigated!

Strange thing, they didn't have the cat put down and it happened again a year later

Cats! Even flea collars don't seem to work.
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

As long as I kept up with the cats' Front Line treatments I had little trouble. When I did a carpet spray did the job.
    Cat flea bites are infuriating enough to wake you from a deep sleep and take days to fade.

Master
    Ours seem to have become immune to Frontline, and I'm told that is something which is becoming quite common.

We've just got rid of our latest visitors - local council came round with a solution to spray the carpets with, we treated the cats with Advantage and that was that. The gear takes 2-4 hours to dry, then you can't hoover for 10 days. If it doesn't take, they come and do it again with a slightly stronger solution free of charge.

Get in touch with the local council, I reckon they will see you right. Cost us £50 but we've had the problem twice now with fleas in the last 5 or 6 years, and this is the only thing that worked for us.

Journeyman
    Had the same problem last year in the warm weather, SWMBO was getting eaten alive we've kept the cats indoors more this year and not had the same problem as last year.
    Last year we used the Bob Martin flea tablets they kill any fleas on the cats but not the eggs they work fast in about 30min, but they do send your cats crazy its funny to watch they will jump about eratically and run around in circles as the fleas die.
    The next step is a frontline type treatment but make sure you get the correct type as some will only kill the fleas and not the eggs, vacuming daily will get rid of any eggs lying around paying special attention to areas where the cats sleep and washing any loose covers like throws on sofas or pet bedding.
    After that spray your carpets and sofas with a flea insectisied and you should have broken the vicious cycle of defleaing only for your cats to pick the eggs up again and be back at square one.

there is less immunity amongst the flea community to stronghold than frontline
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Indorex spray worked for us, Google is your friend.

Whole dwelling needs fumigating to kill the ova and larvae which are in the carpets and any other organic textiles. Larvae eat e.g. woollen fabrics. Local authority should be able to help if you search their website. Might not be cat fleas … there are other types. I once lived in a house full of fleas and was not pleasant … the fleas had been there years … local authority fumigated the house with a smoke bomb … when the smoke cleared there was no residual smoke residue.

dunk
    Last edited by sundial; 3rd September 2014 at 07:07.

A shotgun would solve the problem. If you are sentimental a small box and a long car journey is also effective.
    Gray

Grand Master
    Some good advice their cheers,just sat watching TV caught one and missed another and now the damn itching again.

Master
    We have recently had this problem when we came back from a months holiday. Had to flea bomb 3 times to get rid of them, as well as treating the cats.

They will go!!

mate i really feel for you
    unfortunately once you see them in your house it's game over, no easy fixes

try spraying the whole house with acclaim flea spray, (make sure to leave it to work long enough and to use enough). this is the only thing that worked for me (i say me, it's not my cat, i won't live in a house with this kind of animal in it again unless i have absolutely no choice)

i had to spray the whole house a few times before i didn't see any more fleas, it's been a few years now. i am not confident this will last because i don't think the eggs/larvae or whatever ever die unless you fumigate your house or something which requires you to move out but the acclaim killed the fleas and like i said, it's been a few years since seeing them (touch wood)

i don't know if you regularly treat the cat with flea treatment but you need to do this or they will never go, you need the right stuff, from a vet don't buy cheap stuff from sainsbury's (can't remember what it was it didn't work).
    we get stronghold i think from the vet and it works

i'm always ready with the acclaim spray now though

still angry from the flea infestation years ago, not my cat but i had to sort it out, i had to spray the house and i have to hassle the owner every month to apply the flea treatment-never again

acclaim spray to kill them and regular monthly treatments of stronghold or similar flea preventative, good luck mate

We had same problem two years ago plus the in laws had our cat for a week so they got the too problem was
    They went away for three months and had the house empty but up for sale, estate agent rang us to say she had been eaten alive while on a viewing. I went round with two cans of spray and a four smoke bombs. Job done.

The cat was another story we always used frontline but as others have said it didn't work we switched to another brand (can't remember which) and it worked straight away. There are two types of flea killer so try the other.

Remember fleas live in grass, not sure what you can do about that though.

Smoke bombs are great you get the feeling everything has been covered.

Just had & I think got rid of this problem. Solved it in a different way so thought would add how I did it.

It is important to understand the flea life-cycle - and most will be eggs/larva/pupae waiting to hatch.

Once I found out the adult fleas couldn't live by biting humans I segregated the cat & kept brushing him (+ treating with spray) as they larvae feed off the flea dirt. By keeping him in one room I could then get teh rest of the house under control. If Frontline is working then the suggestion is to let the fleas bite him as they will die but I did it differently.

I then vacummed very thoroughly and then put salt down all over the carpets, brushed it in and hoovered up two days later. Vacumming really is key and often to suck them all up and then throw the bag away immediately. The salt dries out the pupae/eggs that the hoover missed.

I did wear white socks & tracksuit bottom around the house for a few days and any time I saw a flea on the socks I grabbed it (they seem to get tangled up in the socks so easy to grad with fingers) then just drown them in a glass of water/washing up liquid.

You can make a good flea trap out of a shallow bowl with soapy water in it with a night-light candle buring in it this caught a few but hoovering lots really seems to be the key to me. I am sure those smoke bombs etc. help but I believe the larvae all migrate to dark spots under furniture so won't get all of them.

When I looked at the sprays the "professional" one the vet sold had the same ingredients as the "stay kill" but for 5 times the cost - salt was incredibly cheap and did seem to work for me.

Hoover the entire house very well to get rid of the fleas and eggs then spray the areas the cat like to sleep with flea killer. treat the cat with Frontline (I understand something better and cheaper is available from vets). Keep the cat treated at the recommended intervals to stop it "topping up" your house with fleas. Chances are that you will need to hoover and spray the house a few times to get rid of the little bity pests.
    Remember that the fleas can feed off you but need an animal to breed on so keeping the cat treated will break the cycle.

Quote Originally Posted by chester View Post
    Hoover the entire house very well to get rid of the fleas and eggs then spray the areas the cat like to sleep with flea killer.
    i think you need to spray the whole house, not just where it sleeps, the eggs and fleas are in all the carpets and soft furnishings, we had them all over the house in rooms the cat never went

nightmare

Grand Master
    buy 2 cans of this and blast the whole house, throw out any cat bedding and make sure you spray under sofas, furniture etc and down the cracks in floorboards if you have bare boards,
    http://www.vetuk.co.uk/flea-treatmen...500ml-can-p-16
    use this on the cat or cats
    http://www.vetuk.co.uk/frontline-com...for-cats-p-538
    and you could also try this too. i find Vets Uk well priced and fast on delivery.
    http://www.vetuk.co.uk/index.php?mai...word=flea+bomb

we had a sudden and massive attack a couple of months ago and this combo worked for us, it takes a couple of days to get most of the population but hoover thoroughly and you will get most of the adults and break the cycle of egg hatching and in a week you will be clear. i got savaged as anything bitey feasts on me and leaves the mrs alone, not sure why but it's bloody annoying.
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Master
    Frontline only ever used to be available from the vets but then suddenly appeared in pets at home, chemists etc etc.

We had issues 2 years back, we decided to save a few quid and buy from the frontline from Pets at Home, 2 weeks later the dogs were scratching like mad and we got bitten. Used the remaining frontline, smoke bombed the house etc and all seemed well. 2 weeks later sme thing happened, went to the vets and it transpires that the Frontline sold in pet stores s missing and active ingredient!!!!!!

Basically, due to regulation of the products and their active ingredients most decent flea treatments are prescription only from the vets.

Get to the vets and dig deep but go armed with online pricing from vetmeds type web sites where you can buy online and see if your vet will price match. Our vets are quite good at price matching now :-)

Paul
    Last edited by gingerboy; 3rd September 2014 at 22:29.

Master
    Take great care with Indorex or anything containing Permethrin as it is NOT cat-friendly and could make your cat ill or even worse! You need to remove the cat from the room for a period until the spray dries and bonds to the fibres of the carpet.

A couple of months back I walked through a recently hatched cloud of dog fleas on the moors with the family dog. I thought they were just black flies till I noticed 30+ bites on each ankle and a dog that couldn't sit still. Bob Martins spray was useless but Indorex cleared them in no time at all. I can also suggest the granules to shake over the carpet or even table salt will kill the larvae - but salt is hard to get out of the carpet afterwards. Don't forget your sofas and other soft furnishings when you spray.

You might try putting down a few strategic trays of water with a little bit of detergent in them (to break the surface tension). Drowns the little swines. If you have more than say 2 per night then you have a real problem.
    Last edited by UKMike; 4th September 2014 at 23:16.

Grand Master
    When I kept cats I used products available from the vet (Nuvan-top and Nuvan-stay) but that was 18yrs ago. Can`t remember what they contained but the active ingredients were potent insecticides. Very effective too, although I`m not sure they're still on the market because (I think) they were quite toxic to dogs..

I found that treating the cat made the carpet problem go away. I had to treat the carpets initially but after I just sprayed both cats once every fortnight and I never had problems.

Strongly advise a visit to the vet.

Paul

Master
    Just reading this thread is making me itch !!