closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Car Waxing Advice

Car Waxing Advice

Never waxed my 6 year old V70, except for using some cheap supermarket wash and wax, which gets the car nice and clean, but that's about it. Have to say that Volvo paintwork is superb, even after 6 years of not looking after it. So, no polish required.

I'd like to now restore the finish where rainwater just sits as globules, and then run off.

However, I'm a lazy car washer and don't get around to it very often, so looking for a recommendation for a wax that is easy to apply, minimises elbow grease and doesn't require a buffing machine.

Any recommendations?

Craftsman

Elbow grease required

P21S to get the beaded look

But you really should clay bar first then polish then P21s to get the best

Yes loads. What colour is it? Traditional waxes suit dark colours and flat (non metallic paints). Synthetic waxes and sealants can make the flakes in metallic paints "pop" and have a really sharp finish, particularly on light colours (silver, white, etc).

Budget is everything - waxes start at a tenner and hit huge amounts of money. Some last 6 months plus from a single application with correct care, others a couple of weeks. If you want something relatively inexpensive consider FK1000P or Collinite 476 or 845 which should also protect well over the winter months. If you've got a bigger budget, there are paste waxes available from brands like Race Glaze, Swissvax, Zymol, etc but I would recommend doing at least a decontamination with a clay bar and a pre wax cleaner.
    Apply any waxes with a foam pad and buff off with a soft cloth.

I have heard Gtechniq recommended. Anybody have any experience of them?
    I was told that Force India use it on their F1 cars

1) snow foam
    2) billberry wheel cleaner
    3) clay bar
    4) collinite 476

Last few months in summer and about a month in winter IMO and takes around an hour not really a lot of time for a decent enough result

Master
    If you don't bother much with washing the car, you're not going to benefit from a wax – decent or otherwise.

Starting in reverse:
    If you have a wax that produces lots of nice beads of water, you're going to have problems with deposits once it evaporates, so you're better off with something that pools the water.
    Assuming you don't care, you still want the aesthetic property of a high beading wax, then you'll need something that lasts longer than a week – so you can forget about P21S for a start.
    You'll also want something that's properly detergent resistant – so that's Collinite or better but slightly more expensive (but also a UK manufactured product) is Bilt Hamber Finis Wax or Hydra Wax, depending if you prefer solid or liquid, although the Finis is more resistant.
    Unlike Collinite which you'll need to do a panel at a time, before buffing off, both the BH products can be applied all the way round, then buffed off with a clean microfiber cloth.
    Oh yes, you'll need a few of those too, and learn how to wash them separately from your household towels, with no fabric conditioner and less detergent, and an extra rinse cycle……sorry I digress!

So, you've washed the car with washing up liquid (to remove any traces of old wax/'polish'), and you're ready for applying the wax……..except not quite.
    It's at this point, with a wet car, that you get some clingfilm over a couple of fingertips, and slide them over the panels.
    All those lumps you feel? Industrial fallout, brake dust debris, tree sap, road tar – all that needs to come off.
    How? As mentioned above, you need a clay bar – BH medium should be sufficient, and is great since it only needs water to lubricate the surface.

Now, don't wash/clay in full sunlight, and if you don't have soft water at home, you'll need de-ionised water so as to prevent water spots when claying/rinsing.
    Oh, and you'll need another couple of microfibers to dry the car with, before you start waxing – not a silicone blade or leather chamois.

Once that's done, you can now wax the car, and enjoy the beading when it next rains.

Craftsman
    Hello,
    Sticking to your original comments I use Autoglym's Aqua Wax which is about £15(?) from Halfords - it has the blue logo on the front & is in a box with cloths. It's so easy & quick to use I.e.. spray it on whilst the car is still a little damp & rub it in (from memory)!
    I use it on a black Golf.
    You won't be disappointed!

Master
    Okay...

Weekly...
    Auto Glym shampoo
    Auto Glym Aqua Wax

(both of above I buy in BIG containers each time - you save a fortune then)

Monthly
    Auto Glym shampoo
    CB Insulator Wax

3 Months
    Auto Glym shampoo
    2 coats of CB Jetseal
    CB Insulator Wax

Yes..... I'm a bit anal :-)

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
    Just curious, are you the same PJS as the one from detailing world?

Master
    OP - a budget would help massively here, as would the current mileage of the vehicle, its average annual mileage and where its kept.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewcregan View Post
    I have heard Gtechniq recommended. Anybody have any experience of them?
    I was told that Force India use it on their F1 cars
    I'm authorised to detail for them, amongst others. The product used in F1 is not commercially available and is specifically designed to stop rubber sticking and building up on aero surfaces. I have some.. it's crazy stuff, but their EXO lasts longer and has similar, less extreme properties!
    Last edited by Taff; 2nd September 2014 at 09:08.

once every 6 months, 3 thin coats of Dodo Juice purple haze, applied by hand (yes, i mean with the finger tips, not a cloth or applicator pad) and then buffed off.... then use a mild shampoo in between that won't strip it off (Dodo Born to be Mild or Poorboys Super Slick & Suds)

works wonders on my black Boxster ;)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Enda View Post
    Just curious, are you the same PJS as the one from detailing world?
    Affirmative.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
    Affirmative.
    I bought a set of wheel woolies from you back in the day. I still rate them as one of my best detailing purchases! I rarely go on DW now though.

Master
    I like Autoglym Super Resin for the simple fact it has a small amount of cut in it and polishes off nicely. I then use a waxless wash (either Autoglym or Bilt Hamber) between times.

Master
    +1 in the Autoglym Super Resin polish.
    Use a wax shampoo each time and every so often use this polish as a treat. Nice and easy, definitely the lazy option

Oh god where do i start......

If its only been washed for 6 years my ocd would reckon it needs a good cut.

Snowfoam
    Tardis
    Bilberry
    Poorboys or valetpro shampoo
    Poorboys EXP
    Collinite
    Wheel seal

Etc etc i could go on & it would never stop & be very boring. Mrs B thinks im nuts

Then you stand back & admire

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by oiljam View Post
    +1 in the Autoglym Super Resin polish.
    Use a wax shampoo each time and every so often use this polish as a treat. Nice and easy, definitely the lazy option
    Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't a polish have an abrasive so it cuts the paint work back each time? Over use and the paint will start to be pretty thin.

No?

Master
    SRP is a very light cut, and more of a filler – a lot, lot less abrasive than T-Cut for example.

Weekly I use a wash wax on both of our cars. Triple wax is as good as any.
    Monthly I use Autoglym Aqua Wax on the clean car.
    Quarterly I wash then:
    Claybar - (megs lubricated with a Q detailer)
    Autoglym super resin polish (fairly quick - put on with a damp cheesecloth and buffed off with microfiber then buffed again with a clean microfibre.)
    Autoglym high def wax - easy for an amateur to use (follow the directions) buffs to a high shine - lasts well, good beading.
    For the non painted black textured plastic and rubber parts I use Autoglym bumper care, buffs to a slight lustre.

Not a concours regime but shinier than 99% of cars on the road.

I use 'Greased Lightning' showroom shine (has carnauba wax in it) Brilliant stuff and the shine lasts for ages

http://www.greasedlightning.co.uk/?g...FfOhtAodGnUAJw

Master
    Would anyone recommend AG extra gloss protection instead of a wax?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by aldfort View Post
    Weekly I use a wash wax on both of our cars. Triple wax is as good as any.
    Monthly I use Autoglym Aqua Wax on the clean car.
    Quarterly I wash then:
    Claybar - (megs lubricated with a Q detailer)
    Autoglym super resin polish (fairly quick - put on with a damp cheesecloth and buffed off with microfiber then buffed again with a clean microfibre.)
    Autoglym high def wax - easy for an amateur to use (follow the directions) buffs to a high shine - lasts well, good beading.
    For the non painted black textured plastic and rubber parts I use Autoglym bumper care, buffs to a slight lustre.

Not a concours regime but shinier than 99% of cars on the road.
    Wow. I wish I had the time. Respect to you

Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    I use 'Greased Lightning' showroom shine (has carnauba wax in it) Brilliant stuff and the shine lasts for ages

http://www.greasedlightning.co.uk/?g...FfOhtAodGnUAJw
    Looks like a good option to me. Do you give the car a rinse first or really just use it on it's own?

Very very nice pair !!!

Quote Originally Posted by blackie View Post
    Oh god where do i start......

If its only been washed for 6 years my ocd would reckon it needs a good cut.

Snowfoam
    Tardis
    Bilberry
    Poorboys or valetpro shampoo
    Poorboys EXP
    Collinite
    Wheel seal

Etc etc i could go on & it would never stop & be very boring. Mrs B thinks im nuts

Then you stand back & admire

Quote Originally Posted by gunner View Post
    Looks like a good option to me. Do you give the car a rinse first or really just use it on it's own?
    I wash it first. I'm a bit sceptical about doing it on a dry unwashed car. It's amazing wax though and so quick to use.

Rod

Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    I wash it first. I'm a bit sceptical about doing it on a dry unwashed car. It's amazing wax though and so quick to use.

Rod
    I think I'll try it but would do the same.

Master
    Ditto... I purchased some to use waterless but just not had the courage to try it that way. However as a quick wax, post-wash, product it's excellent. btdt :-)

Cheers Steve

No way would i ever let anyone near mine without water (Or anyone for that matter).

I am going to be applying CQuartz to both cars soon but that will need a couple of days to do

Master
    Makes me cringe when I see the immigrant crowd in the local supermarket car park washing cars with a dirty rag and about two pints of muddy water.

Quote Originally Posted by solwisesteve View Post
    Makes me cringe when I see the immigrant crowd in the local supermarket car park washing cars with a dirty rag and about two pints of muddy water.

+1000

Quote Originally Posted by Rodder View Post
    Would anyone recommend AG extra gloss protection instead of a wax?
    Works well on top of Super Resin Polish only. Do not use it on top of Ultra Deep Shine as it's incompatible.
    It takes nearly as long as using Autoglym High Def wax and IMHO does not last as long. It is cheaper though.

Quote Originally Posted by oiljam View Post
    Wow. I wish I had the time. Respect to you
    Each car takes approx. 1 hour per week! That's from starting to get all the stuff out of the garage to feet up having cuppa. 4 hours for the "3 month" regime.

My regime is nothing compared to that of a professional or gifted amateur detailer. If mine looks like too much work then I'd suggest you pay a pro to do it for you but don't ask any questions. The two bucket method, micofibre and Dodo juice are all a part of the black art. Much worse than being a WIS.
    Last edited by aldfort; 3rd September 2014 at 16:48.

I don't honestly believe there is a one for all polish, Various manufacturers paintwork can be better finished by various polishes, As a GENERAL and no means factual finding I think Autoglym super resin-is as good as most, And if topped of with their extra gloss protection is a brilliant all round longish lasting solution, 90% of a cars appearance is down to washing as much as anything, search for TWO BUCKET method and use this EVERY wash use a good shampoo, Then a polish applied carefully and you will be somewhere near without being paranoid, I do absolutly love to see a well detailed car BUT for me you have to be practical. Depending on car colour results will always vary.

Master
    My brother is well into car cleaning and paint corrected my wife's old car. Not a swirlie in sight on an 8 year old car.

For me, I've used plenty of products over the years and there's nothing wrong with the majority of Auto Glym products which are easily bought off the shelf (the Extra Gloss Protection is something I used years ago and at the time thought was great after SRP). Collinite (both of them) is fantastic.

Having just bought a new car (well the wife has), I am waiting on GTechniq interior and paint protection and will report back on that when I get the time to do it, Gyeon Bathe+ and a few other odds and sods. Looking forward to trying them out.

I just let the garage do it after every service. Or when the clocks Change! Ok not quite that bad but almost. Living near London all a wash and polish achieves is the ability to see supermarket dings more easily!

Master
    Just tried that Autoglym Super Resin as I had run out of my usual stuff, found it very good, easy to apply and remove and a good shine!

the extra gloss is well worth the effort and easier still to put on after a day or so, Highly recomended.

I too have been torn between the 'constant' effort versus reward ........

At the moment , my once a week routine is ;

Pressure Washer to blast the dirt
    Snow foam wash
    Two bucket wash with autoglym
    Fast wax liquid spray by autoglym when drying.

Once a month I've been applying super resin polish as well.

Have wondered on the benefits of using a more expensive wax ........

Have also wondered on the benefits of having the gtechniq paint protection system added ......

As nothing beats a shiny car !

Nice Stevie.

I love the new bins on the RS.

Have a look at the poorboys stuff & the Juicy detailing snowfoam

Nice Stevie.

I love the new bins on the RS.

Have a look at the poorboys stuff & the Juicy detailing snowfoam
    Cheers ......

Do you buy yours local or is their a favourite website you purchase your stuff from ?

I get all the poorboys from poorboys world.
    Jen who owns juicy detailing has here own foam that's good along with bilberry wheel cleaner and there's a lad on ebay selling auto smart products like tardis and tango.
    I've a double office cabinet in the garage full of stuff.
    Detailingworld also has discounts and group buys

Cheers ......

I will take a nosey

I'm using collinite marque de elegance wax with great results.
    Put the poorboys glaze on first then the sealant then the collinite

Zymol for the Porsche

AG for the rest

I do like a nice bit canuba wax :-)

I'm using collinite marque de elegance wax with great results.
    Put the poorboys glaze on first then the sealant then the collinite
    Now ....see.....that just sounds like too much time and effort for me .

I need a happy medium

Just put the wax on then :-)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by steviefleming View Post
    I too have been torn between the 'constant' effort versus reward ........

At the moment , my once a week routine is ;

Pressure Washer to blast the dirt
    Snow foam wash
    Two bucket wash with autoglym
    Fast wax liquid spray by autoglym when drying.

Once a month I've been applying super resin polish as well.

Have wondered on the benefits of using a more expensive wax ........

Have also wondered on the benefits of having the gtechniq paint protection system added ......

As nothing beats a shiny car !

Nice car. Great picture