closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: crown screws down with just a 1/4 turn, can this be right?

Master

crown screws down with just a 1/4 turn, can this be right?

As the title suggests, a watch i bought recently (breitling avenger chrono) has an issue, the crown does screw down but only with a quarter turn, can this be correct?

it felt far to small an amount so i sent it back to the seller (watchfinder) who so far have been excellent in dealing with it but they have said that it is fine as it screws down and maintains water resistance with just the small amount of screw down.

am i being fussy expecting it to screw down further or should i be happy with the fact that the watch functions perfectly other than this {small} issue?

This was the same with the breitling avenger chrono titanium I use to have. I asked the watch technician and told me that it was OK. Same with a Rolex precision I use to have.

It didn't feel right to me, too, especially in the CA, which is 300m WR.

Master
    I had the same issue with a watch, though not a Breitling. Within a few months, there was no thread left to screw the crown down. So in my experience it's a sign of imminent need for replacement of either the crown, the tube, or both.

Not having owned a Breitling CA, I can't comment on it directly, but any crown that only screws down a quarter of a turn (and has no clocking mechanism as well) would to me not be secure.

Grand Master
    I haven`t got first-hand experience with this watch, but it sounds totally wrong to me. I`ve come across some watches that only screw one full turn, even with a new tube and crown, but most need around 1.5- 2 full turns.

Regardless of what Watchfinder say I would insist on this being rectified or I`d reject the watch. Replacing case tubes can be a difficult job; some repairers duck out of doing this if the crown will still screw down and retain water-resistance.

If this one's only managing one quarter turn, it'll fail shortly. That's my take on it.

Paul

I know Watchfinder have a former senior Breitling man on their staff, but not sure if they are actually accredited and able to get parts? If they can then it's a cheap fix, otherwise they are probably reluctant to get it fixed as they will probably have to pay for a full service.

Master
    No it is not right, there should be about 4/5 complete turns. This is an issue that does occasionally occur with Breitling crown and tubes as they employ an internal as opposed to external thread. I would get back to Watchfinder immediately and tell them they are quite wrong. One quarter of a turn is no way able to withstand the pressure rating of the piece.

Master
    thanks for the speedy responses folks.

I was pretty sure that this would be the case. I have messaged WF and asked them to have their tech guys check again. If the still say it is fine I am probably left with 2 solutions:

1- accept the return provided there is some kind of written warranty with regards to the particular isssue of the crown.

2- ask for a refund

I honestly think i am going to have to go with option 1 but i am gutted, it is such a good watch!

Quote Originally Posted by Nealywheelie View Post
    No it is not right, there should be about 4/5 complete turns.
    Are you sure about that? 4 or 5 complete 360 degree turns? I have never seen any watch that can do that, maybe 4/5 "turns" of your thumb, but not full turns. Most I have ever seen is 2.5 whole turns.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    I haven`t got first-hand experience with this watch, but it sounds totally wrong to me. I`ve come across some watches that only screw one full turn, even with a new tube and crown, but most need around 1.5- 2 full turns.

Regardless of what Watchfinder say I would insist on this being rectified or I`d reject the watch. Replacing case tubes can be a difficult job; some repairers duck out of doing this if the crown will still screw down and retain water-resistance.

If this one's only managing one quarter turn, it'll fail shortly. That's my take on it.

Paul
    As Paul will testify, I had this problem with my Omega Seamaster (which he expertly sorted for me!) and I certainly would not be confident of the longevity of the crown/tube as is.

SGR

Grand Master
    Ideally, the Watchfinder repairer would fix the watch and everyone's happy. However, Breitling will only supply parts to their own accredited repairers and it's possible that he doesn`t meet this requirement. Might be worth pursuing this line with them? Crown tubes are usually less than £10 and crowns are around £40. Swapping the tube can take anything from 20 mins to 2 hrs.

Paul

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by marcus fenix View Post
    Are you sure about that? 4 or 5 complete 360 degree turns? I have never seen any watch that can do that, maybe 4/5 "turns" of your thumb, but not full turns. Most I have ever seen is 2.5 whole turns.
    Yes, my apologies, I was meaning the turn of you thumb & forefinger. Just checked my Chronospace and it's 2-1/2 complete full turns, and a half, from lock to free.

It's clearly not right - I'd imagine the threads are partially stripped and its only a matter of time before they go completely. Bearing in mind their stupid attitude to customer service I'd get a refund and walk away to be blunt.

Master
    No it is not right, there should be about 4/5 complete turns. This is an issue that does occasionally occur with Breitling crown and tubes as they employ an internal as opposed to external thread. I would get back to Watchfinder immediately and tell them they are quite wrong. One quarter of a turn is no way able to withstand the pressure rating of the piece.

The WR is not affected at all, since the gaskets are fitted in the crowns internal perimeter and just need to envelop the tube. Most all waterproof watches are still waterproof with the crown screwed out.

However, a quarter turn is too little, the crown thread is most likely stripped (sometimes its the tube but more often the crown in my experience).

You need to request a new crown/tube fitting or refund.

Master
    just had an email update

not too much detail about specifics, but the way WF do it is to send you a link to an online user panel which shows the watch progress. mine is currently "awaiting replacement parts".

Im in 2 minds about the result so far:

1- mostly very happy to see something being done- glad i stuck to my guns about what i was certain to be a fault.

2- a bit dissapointed that WF were prepared to send it back to me in the condition it was in had i not stuck to my guns.

I will ring tomorrow to get more detail about what is being replaced.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 744ER View Post
    The WR is not affected at all, since the gaskets are fitted in the crowns internal perimeter and just need to envelop the tube. Most all waterproof watches are still waterproof with the crown screwed out.

However, a quarter turn is too little, the crown thread is most likely stripped (sometimes its the tube but more often the crown in my experience).

You need to request a new crown/tube fitting or refund.
    I understand your point, but surely the watch would not be pressure proof to it's depth rating, in this case 300mts, with just a quarter turn & in spite of the fitted gaskets. I certainly wouldn't go diving with it and feel comfortable with the watch as it is.

Master
    I understand your point, but surely the watch would not be pressure proof to it's depth rating, in this case 300mts, with just a quarter turn & in spite of the fitted gaskets. I certainly wouldn't go diving with it and feel comfortable with the watch as it is.
    If the gaskets are in good condition then yes, it would be. As I said, the thread itself does not waterproof the watch, only the gaskets do, and they're still there.

There are some crowns that use an extra gasket that's compressed when the crown is screwed down, like in the rolex triplock, but Breitling doesnt use that from what I've seen, even on the 3000m rated one I serviced earlier this month.

Crowns do vary from my BFK which screws down in about 1 turn to my OM that seems to take forever to screw down. 1/4 turn did seem a bit on the low side and could indeed indicate a potential problem. It's a good thing you were persistent.

Master
    It is back. It had been sent to Breitling to complete the work and the crown now screws down with 2 full turns and feels just as it should.

The crown looks to have been replaced and the box the watch came back in had a generic breitling service information booklet inside.

I need to get in touch with WF to find out specifics and whether there is any paperwork or certification for the work done, not that it matters i suppose but its nice to know what's what. I am very happy and actually, waiting a month to get it done doesnt feel too terrible (although, it being right in the first place should have been the case)

Fair play to Wf for getting it fixed and keeping me informed very regularly. I would definately deal with them again.

Journeyman
    Good to hear it was the right outcome in the end.

A good result in the end and you can wear and enjoy with complete peace of mind and no niggling worries - credit to Watchfinder for finally giving you the right solution to the problem.

Grand Master
    Glad to hear that it's sorted. It shouldn`t have been sent out like that in the first place!

Paul