closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: New LG smartwatch

New LG smartwatch

http://tech.uk.msn.com/tablets/lg-un...h-lg-g-watch-r

I think this could be the best looking smartwatch yet. IMO it's much more appealing than anything else on the market.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris H View Post

I think this could be the best looking smartwatch yet. IMO it's much more appealing than anything else on the market.
    Ugh... That may be true but I'd still prefer a real watch strapped to my wrist.
    Would prefer a cheap seiko 5 and a smart phone to a super tiny computer any day.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris H View Post

Still think the Motorola Moto 360 looks better

Yeah I also prefer the Mororola.

Craftsman
    Theres just nothing about a smart-watch which appeals to me, theres just no longevity in it, nothing past the novelty aspect.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Chinese_Alan View Post
    Theres just nothing about a smart-watch which appeals to me, theres just no longevity in it, nothing past the novelty aspect.
    The tecno freak in me makes it appele. Its eletronics in cutting edge...
    It is the same freak that likes the engineering in a good automatic. Like Automatics running longer, smoother easier is cutting edge.

The key difference appears to be the use of the entire dial as a screen by the G Watch R. The 360 has an annoying (to my eye) slice missing from the bottom, although this may just be the way that the watch has been rendered / photographed...

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Chinese_Alan View Post
    Well said!

i think that this is a case of "watch this space".
    nothing about these appeal to me at the moment, but who knows, a few years from now they might be a little more interesting / worthwhile.

Quote Originally Posted by tehwolf View Post
    i think that this is a case of "watch this space".
    nothing about these appeal to me at the moment, but who knows, a few years from now they might be a little more interesting / worthwhile.
    Agreed.

I would add that I think if Apple do release a watch there will be a huge aftermarket industry of people designing and producing cases, straps, and mods for them. Might even get some people/companies producing entirely new cases for them and transplanting the "movement" over. I'd love to see that happen.

The odd thing is none of the pictures show it doing anything 'smart' just being a watch and I'm sure we already have watches to do the time function….!

Joking aside, I think this model is a step in the right direction in terms of design for smart watches. I still prefer my phone and a watch mind.

It just shows where the market is going, give it 5yrs and they will be brilliant. Higher resolution, longer battery life, lower cost, more functions. I'd better brush up my programming skills so that I can build faces to download when I need a change of style. I've always wanted a Reverso, but I don't think I'll bother now, when I can have 101 faces on one watch.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Gren View Post
    I've always wanted a Reverso, but I don't think I'll bother now, when I can have 101 faces on one watch.
    You still want a Reverso

Quote Originally Posted by OliverCD View Post
    The odd thing is none of the pictures show it doing anything 'smart' just being a watch and I'm sure we already have watches to do the time function….!

Joking aside, I think this model is a step in the right direction in terms of design for smart watches. I still prefer my phone and a watch mind.
    Yes but the yoof of today have stopped wearing watches mostly, so that just leaves the gadget fans who will shortly have plenty of choice for smart watches (or maybe only one choice if Apple launch one soon). Trouble is too many of these devices resemble the Casio calculator watch from your schooldays and will tend to be bought by the same type of people...
    Last edited by Gruntfuttock; 31st August 2014 at 08:03. Reason: typo

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by bondguru View Post
    You still want a Reverso
    Me too.

Moto 360 for me, apparently being released at a big Moto event in Chicago on Thursday, $249 supposedly.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gruntfuttock View Post
    Yes but the yoof of today have stopped wearing watches mostly
    I'm not sure that is necessarily true. I often travel on the Tube outside of the rush hour and see many tourists. G-Shocks and fashion watches appear to be popular amongst the young, both male and female.

I reckon smartwatches will expand the watch-wearing customer base, especially when Apple get into it.

Journeyman
    I also like more the moto 360, but nevertheless they are too big for me and still prefer an automatic

I'm kinda drawn to it. I like the design and as I was thinking of getting a fitness band such as a Fitbit I might go for one of these instead as has a pedometer and also a heart rate monitor as well.
    will depend on the price though. would not want to pay more than £200

The trouble is that if you buy any of the current crop of smart watches they will be gathering dust at the back of a cupboard a year from now when the much improved next generation appear. That's fine for the yoof of today but I will leave the early adopters to it - I've got enough psion organisers, mini disc and betamax players to fill a skip (well actually I chucked them all years ago but you see my point)!

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gren View Post
    It just shows where the market is going, give it 5yrs and they will be brilliant. Higher resolution, longer battery life, lower cost, more functions. I'd better brush up my programming skills so that I can build faces to download when I need a change of style. I've always wanted a Reverso, but I don't think I'll bother now, when I can have 101 faces on one watch.
    I agree with all of that, except if you think a picture of a Reverso will do fine instead of the real thing, you were probably never in the market for a real one in the first place ;).

Also the battery life matter... No-one is bothered by that. I remember in the early '90s, the first GSM phones lasting 9-10 hours and having to go on the dock every night. Car chargers cost £30. Everyone complained. Then Nokia came along and made a phone last a week and it was brilliant... but crap expanded to fill the resource available, and people prefer gadgets rather than battery life and as a result, battery tech has lagged behind everything else. What would you rather be in: the app industry making millions from downloads, or an underpaid chemist trying to eke a bit more life out of an undersized battery pack?

This lag means that smartwatches are going to start going dead through the day, through the night, and you'll need to carry a battery charger around with you. What goes around...

...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Craftsman
    I haven't seen any of these smart watches in person, but just from the pictures i think they look pretty crap and i'm not interested. Would be interesting to know if they look like a quality item in real life.

wrist computers are annoying, just like video telephone calls

great for sci fi but in reality they are a pain in the butt

and I don't see people who have pocket watches (smartphones) really wanting to put them back on their wrist.
    I know a few people who say they are so happy now they don't have to wear a watch anymore.

stuff like that

Bad reports about the Moto 360 battery life coming out, surely it had to last a full day at least???

Quote Originally Posted by Matt T View Post
    Bad reports about the Moto 360 battery life coming out, surely it had to last a full day at least???
    Yep i have read that also with a 4 year old processor

Quote Originally Posted by miguelh34 View Post
    Yep i have read that also with a 4 year old processor
    I don't see the processor being much of an issue, don't forget it hasn't got to drive a QHD screen like all the newer devices do with Snapdragon 801's.