closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sumo vs hydroconquest

Sumo vs hydroconquest

Can be had for similar pennies, are they chalk and cheese?

Hydroconquest more dressy? I also think the HC is a better size at 39 or 41mm

Having never seen either 'in the flesh' i am a bit clueless, at a guess i assume the seiko has better lume, better bracelet??? Both comparable in most other ways except size obviously (personally 44mm does not bother me after my 45mm sharkdiver looked ok)

Feel better spending £600 on a Longines although something very 'sleeper' about the seiko that appeals

Im very new to all this but both look like good everyday watches (like the blue dial/bezel) s/h seamasters for £1500 are appealing but a grand is a grand!

Blog Entries
    Had both and IMHO Sumo is much better...

Master
    The Sumo can be bought for around £300 new. Don't know much about the Hydroconquest but I assumed they cost a lot more, even the quartz version.

I like the look of the Hydroconquest but I don't think you can beat the case design of the Sumo, it's simply stunning IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by igorRIJEKA View Post
    Had both and IMHO Sumo is much better...
    Anything in particular or just generally?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by estoban7 View Post
    The Sumo can be bought for around £300 new. Don't know much about the Hydroconquest but I assumed they cost a lot more, even the quartz version.

I like the look of the Hydroconquest but I don't think you can beat the case design of the Sumo, it's simply stunning IMO.
    I was looking new, not sure but thought £500 was the best price for a sumo?

Edit to say just saw that creation sell for around £350
    Last edited by Montybaber; 27th August 2014 at 22:22.

Journeyman
    I've considered both these in the past. The big numbers and "breitling" style blingyness of the Hydroconquest put me off that one though. As for the Sumo, I am still on the fence about it. The only thing I'm unsure about is the contrast of a 44mm case with 20mm lugs, but other than that I really like it.
    I think you can get the Sumo for about £320ish from Japan, you'll probably have to budget for another £80 in tax/handling, but that still puts it a couple of hundred lower than the Longines. If you're definitely choosing one of the two, then that would be the clincher for me.

Blog Entries
    Much better built than longi,in my case,more accurate,better price....

Quote Originally Posted by Mooty View Post
    I've considered both these in the past. The big numbers and "breitling" style blingyness of the Hydroconquest put me off that one though. As for the Sumo, I am still on the fence about it. The only thing I'm unsure about is the contrast of a 44mm case with 20mm lugs, but other than that I really like it.
    I think you can get the Sumo for about £320ish from Japan, you'll probably have to budget for another £80 in tax/handling, but that still puts it a couple of hundred lower than the Longines. If you're definitely choosing one of the two, then that would be the clincher for me.
    One big worry is importing the watch as i am currently trying to sort a similar situation that has turned into a bit of a mare lol, surely lightning cant strike twice?

My OH is likely to remove my plums if i mention buying from japan lol

Lovely! Would go blue personally but only as i have black watches already but black is my weakness! (Gotta justify it somehow lol)

Maybe wait and see if i can get one s/h

Master
    Just checked the price on Higuchi web site, they are cheaper than I thought these days 46000yen or £267. Even factoring in tax and duty that's an excellent deal.

Just checked the price on Higuchi web site, they are cheaper than I thought these days 46000yen or £267. Even factoring in tax and duty that's an excellent deal.
    Blimey, too good

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Montybaber View Post
    Blimey, too good
    It's the cheapest I've ever seen them. Might be tempted to get a blue one to go with my black.

I can highly recommend Higuchi BTW.

It's the cheapest I've ever seen them. Might be tempted to get a blue one to go with my black.

I can highly recommend Higuchi BTW.
    Dont suppose you fancy going for two and getting me one lol, my missus will not let me buy from anyone outside the uk at the moment lol, it would be yorkshire watches for me at £500 :(

I've had a Sumo and at £267 it's a great watch but at £500 it's a non-starter.

I tried on the HC a few years ago when I bought my SMP 2264 and found the dial very blingy and the bracelet very cheap and nasty.

Just my two-penneth.

David

I'm a huge Seiko and Sumo fan, but if I could find a HC for the same amount of money, I would go for that.

The good thing about the Seiko is the great movement and the fact that it has a quality and finishing that makes it look 2 or 3 times more than it costs, but the cost is significantly lower than the HC, I think.

Blog Entries
    my missus will not let me buy from anyone outside the uk at the moment lol
    Dare I ask, why not? If it's a cost issue then you could point out it's often much cheaper to buy abroad, even taking import VAT into consideration. ;-)

Blog Entries
    You have one in Scotland for £310,looks mint,with b&p ;) just search watchrecon.

Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    Dare I ask, why not? If it's a cost issue then you could point out it's often much cheaper to buy abroad, even taking import VAT into consideration. ;-)
    I bought a watch from Hong Kong with a faulty dial and to be honest it has been a nightmare, she wants me to stick to uk from now on

Quote Originally Posted by Gullers View Post
    Hydroconquest more dressy? I also think the HC is a better size at 39 or 41mm
    For a big watch the Sumo wears very small.

Quote Originally Posted by whatmeworry View Post
    For a big watch the Sumo wears very small.
    I would like to try a Sumo but I have a Spork which I think is too big my just over 7" wrist and I should move in but can't!

I would be interested to know whether people think the Sumo wears smaller than the Spork?

Quote Originally Posted by Gullers View Post
    I would like to try a Sumo but I have a Spork which I think is too big my just over 7" wrist and I should move in but can't!

I would be interested to know whether people think the Sumo wears smaller than the Spork?
    It does IMO. I tried a Spork on in a jewellers and it was definitely too big for me (my wrist is about 6.3"). The Sumo I owned fit fine. Big, but it hugs the wrist beautifully.

Blog Entries
    I bought a watch from Hong Kong with a faulty dial and to be honest it has been a nightmare, she wants me to stick to uk from now on
    Ah. When things go wrong it plays into the hands of the disapproving female. ;-)

Blog Entries
    I sometimes wonder what sort of relationships people have with their other half...............

Just buy the Sumo from Higuchi, he never fails to deliver, it's not Hong Kong, it's Japan!

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Apprentice
    Own the Sumo, and have handled the Hydroconquest on several occasions. I would buy the Sumo any day. Bigger watch, but if you are ok with that, then you get great value for your money.

The Sumo is a complex watch. Its big and bold, hence the name, but also elegant. The 20mm bracelet ads to this, and the many details on the case can make you sit at stare at it. Next to the Sumo the Hydroconquest is kinda boring.

Blog Entries
    Mighty fine pics of a very good VFM diver.

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Craftsman
    Both are good, but I'd say the Sumo is the actual diver, where the HC is the office-diver. For everyday wear I'd prefer the HC, when going on a holiday I'd take the Sumo.

There's a Spanish based ebay store that does JDM watches.... I forget the name (someone will chime in)

I know that's not UK, but takes the drama out of import tax etc

That said, personally I'd have no problem with buying direct from Japan.

FWIW, imo, I like a lot of Longines watches, but the HC isn't one of them... The bezel is a mess with what looks like a multitude of '12' O'clock markers, the PCLs look out of place and I'm not a fan of the use of the numerals. But YMMV of course!

The Sumo on the other hand has so much going for it, in terms of style, finish and price - as long as your wrist can wear the size, then (for me at least) it's a no brainer

The Sumo is about half the price of the Hydroconquest (direct from Higuchi) and IMO a better watch. Or at least more interesting.

Master
    The Sumo is my choice, the hardest part would be choosing the colour :)
    Regarding a quality issue with the chapter alignment, is this still an issue? And is this a simple fix to sort?
    Presumably you pay the tax from Creation as well?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by adzman808 View Post
    FWIW, imo, I like a lot of Longines watches, but the HC isn't one of them... The bezel is a mess with what looks like a multitude of '12' O'clock markers, the PCLs look out of place and I'm not a fan of the use of the numerals. But YMMV of course!
    Agree, but that's when referring to the old model, the current HC is a heck of a lot better:

What bezel is that? Much prefer it to the original Sumo one, which is what's put me off buying one in the past.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by trisdg View Post
    What bezel is that? Much prefer it to the original Sumo one, which is what's put me off buying one in the past.
    Looks like a Yobokies bezel. Harold has got a nice selection of replacment Sumo bezels including a pepsi one.

I love Seikos. I have a few of them...but not a Sumo. In my opinion though, they are "different" watches , I mean to compare one against the other? I have a Longines Hydroconquest...........lovely looking watch........Id love a Sumo one day......like I say though, for me?I don't think they are the same type of watch ? Price wise also there is quite a difference too? . Just my opinion!

Quote Originally Posted by Henk Hoving View Post
    Agree, but that's when referring to the old model, the current HC is a heck of a lot better:
    Yeah its an improvement, imho I'd still take the Seiko!

Interestingly Longines list both models on their website, so perhaps this is a sister model?

Any excuse for a pic! This is my Longines........My suggestion? Buy? BOTH! lol!

Blog Entries
    Small font bezel....here you can see all that you need with your Sumo :)

The only thing that has kept me from buying the Seiko, besides my preference for slightly smaller watches was the crown design, the way it sits. It just looks awkward...otherwise I pretty much like everything about the Sumos, dial, case shape, nice bracelet, not to mention the bezel which IMHO is one of the best in any divers, not to mention those at similar price levels.

Grand Master

Those must be the fattest lugs I've ever seen - and people complain about the ceramic Submariner's. But maybe, that's for another reason ;).

Lugs that chunky need a flared bracelet, I reckon.
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Master
    Dont suppose you fancy going for two and getting me one lol, my missus will not let me buy from anyone outside the uk at the moment lol, it would be yorkshire watches for me at £500 :(
    Just explain to her its at least £150 cheaper, and you will take her out for a meal when it arrives.

My other half once said to me "either the watches g,o or I do" I said let me know when your bags are packed and I will run you to the station.

Looks like a Yobokies bezel. Harold has got a nice selection of replacment Sumo bezels including a pepsi one.
    Cheers for that.

Somehow I can see a modded Sumo or Shogun in the not so distant future :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Daddelvirks View Post
    I sometimes wonder what sort of relationships people have with their other half...............

Just buy the Sumo from Higuchi, he never fails to deliver, it's not Hong Kong, it's Japan!

Daddel.
    What do you want to know? Personally i think she deserves a medal for putting up with the watch 'problem' i have

After looking more and more at the Sumo i cant help but think it is the perfect daily work watch and at £3/350 (with costs) it can be used and abused and will stand up to anything i throw at it.

I am wearing my BC3 advanced to work at the moment and i am enjoying having an 'interesting' watch on my wrist but 3 times now i have had heartstopping moments where i have knocked it against something very lightly (not a mark!!) i know its a cheapish watch but it doesnt fit the criteria of a 'work watch' for me its far too gorgeous lol

I will buy the Sumo and save for an orange bezel Seamaster Planet Ocean i tried on last week :)

Now for the inevitable row with the boss lol

Blog Entries
    Good choice mate :thumbup:

Have a look at eBay seller solojapan... from Spain... €435

Master
    Sumo everytime, a masterpiece of case design.

Try these guys

http://www.shoppinginjapan.net/sbdc005

Used them a couple of times to excellent effect

Quote Originally Posted by mrwozza70 View Post
    Have a look at eBay seller solojapan... from Spain... €435
    that's the chap I couldn't remember earlier!

http://www.ebay.ie/sch/solojapan/m.html

Quote Originally Posted by bparker170 View Post
    Sumo everytime, a masterpiece of case design.

Try these guys

http://www.shoppinginjapan.net/sbdc005

Used them a couple of times to excellent effect
    Cheers for that. Best prices I've seen :-D

I've had the HC and found the build to be rather crude in several respects. The case did not look like much "luv" had gone into it, angular crown protectors were just rectangular and ugly. The crown was stiff and nasty to use with that cap on the end. The bracelet has sharp edges and the clasp was a nail-breaker. The bezel was sharp too and a pig to turn... otherwise I loved it ;-)

Nice face, shame about the body !

love my sumo, probably my favorite watch for the money.