closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Incoming (Again)

Banned
    Blog Entries

Incoming (Again)

This is a watch I have toyed with the idea of owning for sometime. It is also the first IWC I have owned. In the past I have had a problem with fixed Perpetual Calendars. That is Perpetual Calendars which have a permanently locked relationship between the functions However I have since overcome that and no longer feel that my mortality is threatened by a machine which is programmed to continue to function long after me. So now I have decided that I actually prefer a locked PC system, if for no better reason that they are simply easier to set and the moonphase is always correct.
    I had a very beautiful JLC with the same Kurt Klaus module (Approximately ) But it was only 38mm. I have very big wrists and watches much under 40 mm will not get worn much. Even better if they are over 42mm. This 502119 is 44mm and feels just right. These don't come up very often and are very expensive new. So I was very pleased when the opportunity to secure this one arose. It is in Rose Gold with Black dial and is the hemispheres model showing the moonphase in southern and northern hemispheres. Handy to know what they are seeing down below while we are up above.
    There are a number of reasons both aesthetic and horological, to love this watch. Aesthetically it is extremely beautiful , imposing, and well balanced. The dial is exquisitely engineered and very readable. The case finish, with its mixture of satin and polished surfaces is wonderful to look at and touch. It has the weight and gravitas of a seriously constructed complicated watch. Horologically there is the wonderful and yet to be bettered, ( though possibly equaled in conceptual perfection by Ludwig Oeschlins module) Perpetual Calendar module. Relatively unchanged since it was first seen driven by a 7750. Then there is the fabulous and itself imposing 5000 calibre. This calibre , around since 2000, has some wonderful historic links to some great movements. The winding system itself is yet to be bettered for efficiency and the magnificent 7 day PR makes this watch an even more practical perpetual calendar. This because even if it left unwound for up to a week it will still need no re-setting.
    The watch is on a Brown OEM gator strap. Which will be removed as soon as I find something of suitable quality in an acceptable colour .

Here are some fairly quickly snapped photos of the watch.

Last edited by java; 27th August 2014 at 12:26.

I'm not normally drawn to gold watches but that is a beauty. Congratulations.

Absolutely wonderful watch, Tim, and to my mind one if the nicest you've had. Damn you for letting me try it on, though

Enjoy it Tim, as you know I was second in the queue behind you :)

Maybe one day...

Love it.
    Somewhat a dreamwatch

Gorgeous watch, love contrast between face and hands

Wow that's stunning. For some reason it makes me think of looking at a satellite in space. Really pretty indeed.

As above, I don't do gold, but that really is fantastic! Congratulations (on another) excellent piece.

Edit: Just seen some more pics online, with the moon phases more exposed - which are also in gold - stunning!
    Last edited by Thorien; 27th August 2014 at 13:17.

Craftsman
    Very nice & a little bit different. Well wear!

Super watch.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

damn fine watch tim

I was really tempted by that piece too

enjoy in best of health

Beautiful watch, that really is.

What does the picture of Spiderman at the top do?! ;)

Blog Entries
    See!, a watch with a lot of complications CAN look uncluttered and beautifull at the same time.

Cracking piece Tim.

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

stun ing

Quite lovely Tim :)

I like to guess before clicking on your threads what sort of watch will be featured. I had the manufacturer wrong this time but guessed a Gold Perpetual calendar so two out of three ain't bad :)

Superb. Excellent photos too - the one on the pocket knife is a cracker.

Craftsman
    Just exquisite in every way, many thanks for sharing.

Blog Entries
    Oh wow where's the I'm in love smilie when you need it. One of nicest watches around these parts recently, if not ever (imo).

Beautiful watch! So can this (in theory) keep the correct year and date until midnight the year 9999?

Nice pick up Tim.

I've had one for a few years now and love it to bits. Wears quite big and tall so be careful with it.

Malc

Master
    Almost bought the watch with the money that was meant for something else. So glad I resisted and that you got it! :)

Master
    Lovely watch. You sure do have big wrists!

Beautiful .I have its baby brother the Portuguese chrono so am familiar the beauty of the Portuguese's

Stunning Tim and it looks great on your wrist. What are you planning to do about the brown strap though

Journeyman
    That's not a watch, but a piece of art. Enjoy it!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DB9yeti View Post
    Enjoy it Tim, as you know I was second in the queue behind you :)

Maybe one day...
    Sorry

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by JC180 View Post
    Stunning Tim and it looks great on your wrist. What are you planning to do about the brown strap though
    Looking for a Black one as we speak.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Beautiful watch, enjoy it Tim, looks great on your wrist

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JeppeRober View Post
    Beautiful watch! So can this (in theory) keep the correct year and date until midnight the year 9999?
    Unfortunately none of us will be here to test it but that is the idea.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kash View Post
    Beautiful watch, enjoy it Tim, looks great on your wrist
    Thank you Kash. I hope you are enjoying equally the other side of the trade

Handsome watch and photos too.

Some very well integrated features, the P/R often an awkward inclusion fits in particularly well. I assume seconds at 9. If I were to be critical I would say the nibbled 12 doesn’t quite work but otherwise for me the only real issue would be size which at 44mm effectively precludes one from consideration.

On a related point, could you just clarify the meaning of locked functions? On my PC there is an indented button for each function and although there is a correct order for setting they seem to set independently, including moonphase. Then when set they all move unison. Is that locked or not?

Forgive my ignorance on the point but until you raised it I was completely unaware of the distinction.

Enjoy the new watch.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lowndes View Post
    Handsome watch and photos too.

Some very well integrated features, the P/R often an awkward inclusion fits in particularly well. I assume seconds at 9. If I were to be critical I would say the nibbled 12 doesn’t quite work but otherwise for me the only real issue would be size which at 44mm effectively precludes one from consideration.

On a related point, could you just clarify the meaning of locked functions? On my PC there is an indented button for each function and although there is a correct order for setting they seem to set independently, including moonphase. Then when set they all move unison. Is that locked or not?

Forgive my ignorance on the point but until you raised it I was completely unaware of the distinction.

Enjoy the new watch.
    Some PCs have an all forward pusher. But few are completely locked and cannot be separated at all. Effectively If I were to set the watch one day ahead I would have to Hack it for 24 hours . There is no possibility of reverse correction.

IWC make some beautiful dials, and that's up there with the very best of them.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by java View Post
    Thank you Kash. I hope you are enjoying equally the other side of the trade
    Am indeed, loving the watch : )

Master
    That's breathtaking. Please post another picture when the moon comes out! I realise that there's nothing we can do but wait patiently for that to happen ;-)

Master
    How on earth do they manage to fit so many complications in to these watches - they really are marvels of engineering, and aesthetically so beautiful too.

Is a beauty!
    Great pics too.

Great watch. Looks stunning wear and enjoy.

One word of advice I would never try and reset the time on your own. I took one to WoS to have the date moved on by a couple of days and their watch repairer managed to to reset the watch by a year instead!

Watch had to be returned to Switzerland and reset by IWC.

I have to say that WoS arranged for everything to be done free of charge, but it did take a few weeks to get it done.

Journeyman
    nice watch! Enjoy!

Master
    Oh wow. It is stunning, I look forward to seeing it when the ownership passes to Tony!!

Quote Originally Posted by Flashharry View Post
    Great watch. Looks stunning wear and enjoy.

One word of advice I would never try and reset the time on your own. I took one to WoS to have the date moved on by a couple of days and their watch repairer managed to to reset the watch by a year instead!

Watch had to be returned to Switzerland and reset by IWC.

I have to say that WoS arranged for everything to be done free of charge, but it did take a few weeks to get it done.
    Yes, this is the only type of watch that does need to live on a winder (or your wrist) as letting it stop is not really an option. My grail watch, but the cost and the size mean it will stay that way until that lottery win turns up.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gruntfuttock View Post
    Yes, this is the only type of watch that does need to live on a winder (or your wrist) as letting it stop is not really an option. My grail watch, but the cost and the size mean it will stay that way until that lottery win turns up.
    If it stops and needs resetting you just pull out the crown to first position and move forward. Same as the JLC I had, only that was a pusher instead.

Craftsman
    Absolutely stunning watch and great pictures as always.

Master
    i'm trying to think of another word to describe this other than stunning, exquisite, beautiful etc etc and i just can't come up with something thats enough

so i'll stick with stunning, exquisite, beautiful etc etc..............i think you know what I'm trying to say, i hope

I've long admired that. Congratulations
    Gray

Blog Entries
    The dial is amazing and only surpassed by the engineering required. Lovely watch Tim. A fine addition to your collection.

Quote Originally Posted by java View Post

"...some fairly quick snapped photos..."

I wish my "slow" photos showed off my watches half as well!

I wasn't aware of this model and I know little about multi-complication PC movements, so I've learnt something new today. I usually prefer the look of more simplistic dials, however for every rule...

Journeyman
    Literally drooling right now...

Journeyman
    That's unbelievable!

Craftsman
    Fantastic looking watch and some great photos, thanks.
    I think it looks fine on the brown strap, too.

I like your passion for function and the unconventional. That watch is a beauty.

I know where you are coming from with perpetual calendars. Once I passed a certain age point I began to consider my mortality more and the fact that my perpetual calendars would be keeping perfect time well past my oblivion kept bringing this to the forefront of my mind.

Mitch

I love this watch but it's heavy on my tiny wrist. The stainless steel boutique edition weighs much lesser. Having said that, it's a real stunning watch and i'm happy for you that it's added into your already awesome collection.