closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Incoming (Again)

Threaded View

Banned
    Blog Entries

Incoming (Again)

This is a watch I have toyed with the idea of owning for sometime. It is also the first IWC I have owned. In the past I have had a problem with fixed Perpetual Calendars. That is Perpetual Calendars which have a permanently locked relationship between the functions However I have since overcome that and no longer feel that my mortality is threatened by a machine which is programmed to continue to function long after me. So now I have decided that I actually prefer a locked PC system, if for no better reason that they are simply easier to set and the moonphase is always correct.
    I had a very beautiful JLC with the same Kurt Klaus module (Approximately ) But it was only 38mm. I have very big wrists and watches much under 40 mm will not get worn much. Even better if they are over 42mm. This 502119 is 44mm and feels just right. These don't come up very often and are very expensive new. So I was very pleased when the opportunity to secure this one arose. It is in Rose Gold with Black dial and is the hemispheres model showing the moonphase in southern and northern hemispheres. Handy to know what they are seeing down below while we are up above.
    There are a number of reasons both aesthetic and horological, to love this watch. Aesthetically it is extremely beautiful , imposing, and well balanced. The dial is exquisitely engineered and very readable. The case finish, with its mixture of satin and polished surfaces is wonderful to look at and touch. It has the weight and gravitas of a seriously constructed complicated watch. Horologically there is the wonderful and yet to be bettered, ( though possibly equaled in conceptual perfection by Ludwig Oeschlins module) Perpetual Calendar module. Relatively unchanged since it was first seen driven by a 7750. Then there is the fabulous and itself imposing 5000 calibre. This calibre , around since 2000, has some wonderful historic links to some great movements. The winding system itself is yet to be bettered for efficiency and the magnificent 7 day PR makes this watch an even more practical perpetual calendar. This because even if it left unwound for up to a week it will still need no re-setting.
    The watch is on a Brown OEM gator strap. Which will be removed as soon as I find something of suitable quality in an acceptable colour .

Here are some fairly quickly snapped photos of the watch.

Last edited by java; 27th August 2014 at 12:26.