closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chrono24 Italian seller... CONCLUSION page 2

Master
    ^^^^Had 2 emails... The first last Friday telling me the watch would be sent today (tues 16th).... Then today I get another email... Telling me the watch will be sent Tomorrow...(Wed 17th)
    It's obvious that time, and words have little meaning......

It could well be that, because this seller lists literally 100's of high end expensive watches, that a little cheapo £2k+ Omega AT is so low on the priority list that other stuff always takes precidence..... At least I can see a dim glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel..

As for naming them, I don't see that it makes much difference now..... KAKADU nailed it in the 5th post down...

VIRTUOSO..

But even after naming them, I have to be clear and fair and say that the price I negotiated, was very much in my favour... And despite a price increase, they've stuck to it....
    Last edited by Enoch; 16th September 2014 at 23:39.

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    ^^^^Had 2 emails... The first last Friday telling me the watch would be sent today (tues 16th).... Then today I get another email... Telling me the watch will be sent Tomorrow...(Wed 17th)

It could well be that, because this seller lists literally 100's of high end expensive watches, that a little cheapo £2k+ Omega AT is so low on the priority list that other stuff always takes precidence..... At least I can see a dim glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel..

As for naming them, I don't see that it makes much difference now..... KAKADU nailed it in the 5th post down...

VIRTUOSO..

But even after naming them, I have to be clear and fair and say that the price I negotiated, was very much in my favour... And despite a price increase, they've stuck to it....
    Gives new meaning to the concept of a virtuoso performance. You may indeed have negotiated a fair price but a fair price for what? Nada so far.

Really hope it works out ,they do have some good prices and if you can make a good saving I don't mind waiting

Blog Entries

VIRTUOSO..

How's it going? Has anything arrived yet?

Master

CONCLUSION...

Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    How's it going? Has anything arrived yet?
    Thanks for asking Mark..... YES today I can conclude my experience....

Watch arrived today, and is a brand spanking fully stickered up virgin example, that's not been handled or removed from the box...
    All papers, receipts cards etc are present and correct, and I received a small free gift... (A CD)

So would I do the same again?? Mmm, maybe, but I'd change the way I did things, and I'd change my expectations..
    But the absolute bottom line, is that the seller, is bona fide, which is what I expected, but I suppose they just do things differently over there...

There is however no getting away from the substantial saving... On the other hand you have to be prepared to compromise a little on service.
    I accept time of year didn't help, but seller communication was certainly lacking..

At the end of the day, it's just another experience, of how different folk run their business's.... I didn't get ripped off, and I got what I ordered... Nothing I can add really, but for anyone else, do your research, be careful, and adjust your expectations...

Today I'm happy......oh it's the BLUE skyfall edition, I'll get some pics up when I've sized the bracelet and got the stickers off

UK delivery agent was TNT

Inside the TNT package is the Italian shipper

Watch was very well packed

Woohoo! Congratulations!
    Very glad you finally got it, and it's lovely and mint.

When you said who it was I was fairly sure it would finally come but better communication could/should have been forthcoming.

Anyway, ENJOY!
    Last edited by Thorien; 23rd September 2014 at 16:07.

Glad you got there in the end :)

What sort of money did you save percentage wise?

Great that it eventually came through. Hope it was worth the wait and enjoy! I'm considering purhcasing a brand new SubC from a German seller on C24 when I get the funds. Some great (almost depreciation proof) savings to be had from such sources.

Master
    Great to hear this episode has come to a happy end! And a very nice watch you ended op with, congratulations!

Journeyman
    Great ending. The timing was unfortunate and the communication from the seller could certainly be improved.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by alexaff View Post
    Glad you got there in the end :)

What sort of money did you save percentage wise?
    On list I saved around 35% but to be honest, I really don't see the Aqua Terra as a £3.7k watch so would not be the slightest bit interested at that price point..

But what did appeal was the saving over a well known UK grey dealer, which was around 15%.... Not massive in terms of ££ in the pocket, but more in keeping with my gut feeling of what a watch like this is worth to me...

Hope that makes sense

Personally I love stories with a happy ending.
    Wear in good health and cheers for sharing your experience

Glad it's sorted and everything's ok,can I just check it was virtuoso ,because I've looked at there site before

VIVA ITALIA!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mk1974 View Post
    Glad it's sorted and everything's ok,can I just check it was virtuoso ,because I've looked at there site before
    Yes...it was... And based on lessons learnt, I suspect I'll buy from them again...but next time I'll use my experience to match my expectations...

Stunning watch. What size? 38.5 or 41?

There is a trade off where they are very cheap and rely on the business principle of stack them high and sell them cheap. They rely on selling a lot of watches at a low mark up. So your missing the Goldsmiths/Mappin & Webb/David Robinson fancy shop experience with a decent coffee and a nice bag customer service makes up for the large saving.

Master

Cool

^^^38.5^^^.....

Yep, I fully expected a trade off, and have no problem accepting it.....

I'd just like to add, the idea of this thread, was to pass on my experience, and let others know, what the trade off might be....
    I suspect some will accept it, others won't.

And just to emphasise the point, this was my very first experience of such a purchase, it hasn't put me off, in fact I'm over the moon with the Omega....

Who knows, next time, it could be a perfect scenario. But as always with this type of thing, you have little control once you've sent the money.... I now know that, and accept it for what it is...:)

Craftsman
    Great ending and great watch. I also look at the Italian dealer prices and consider using them - but maybe I'd take a 2 day break to go buy it in person.

Craftsman
    Great stuff. Congrats on a good result and splendid watch.

On list I saved around 35% but to be honest, I really don't see the Aqua Terra as a £3.7k watch so would not be the slightest bit interested at that price point..

But what did appeal was the saving over a well known UK grey dealer, which was around 15%.... Not massive in terms of ££ in the pocket, but more in keeping with my gut feeling of what a watch like this is worth to me...

Hope that makes sense
    Perfect sense :)

Looks lovely mate!

Craftsman
    Thanks for this cautionary tale, glad it worked out well in the end. After looking at that seller on that site, I must say they are vey competitive prices...

So glad this all worked out for you, and respect for staying so calm throughout. I'd have been pretty damn stressed after such a long time without my watch or money.

Master
    Thanks guys....

As a final few tips for fellow members thinking of buying from this or any other seller from abroad, what would I do differently next time?

Well for starters, before I committed any cash, I'd try to establish and agree a realistic delivery time..is the item really in stock??
    If not, is the advertised delivery of xxx days a reality or just a guess?? I know you have to take the info your given, but I'd want a bit more info, than just what's claimed on the website...

Next, can I pay a deposit, rather than the full amount??

And finally, I'd want a bit of an improvement in comms....simple stuff like yes we've received the bank transfer, we've dispatched your watch...
    I would also make myself more aware of national holidays too...

Hope that helps

Stickers now off, and bracelet sized..

And next to the bigger version, that's heading for SC...
    Last edited by Enoch; 23rd September 2014 at 21:50.

Thank you for posting this very informative thread. I'm delighted to hear that it had a happy ending.

When you have parted with a lot of money, it's the lack of communication that hurts most. Paranoia can set in quite quickly. Sellers take note.

Am I to assume that any inference that Italian sellers are somewhat more risky than sellers of other nationality is unintentional?

I have used Chrono24 twice in the last 24 months. On both occasions i got a budget flight and concluded the deal face to face. Much safer. (One seller happened to be Italian so I got to visit the most beautiful country into the bargain).

Master
    ^^^ It was never my intention to infer that "Italian" sellers are any different to any other European seller, it just so happens that I chose this seller based on his chrono24 listings, price, and decent communications, (up to order point)

I suspect I could just as easily had the same experience with a German, French or Portuguese seller...

As I said above, I'm pretty sure I'll be buying from them again....I'll just readjust my expectations, and do it slightly differently next time...

Craftsman

And next to the bigger version, that's heading for SC...
    Just wait for me to hit the 50 post count first please!!

Good luck with the sale!

Master

Smile

The full story regarding the bigger version is this....

I bought it back in July in the Beaverbrooks sale, it arrived on the 21st, I quite liked it, so I sized the bracelet, and wore it in the house for 1 DAY..... Yes 1 DAY..
    I then put it in the box, where it has been ever since......why you might ask? and it'd be a good question....

Well because I went to Chester, and saw the blue one in the smaller size, and knew straight away that, that's the one I should have bought..... Unfortunately.. The Blue, in either size wasn't included in the Beaverbrooks sale...

So I set about sourcing one elsewhere...... But because I was unsure, if it would work out, I kept the other one in the box "just in case" .. It is a lovely watch after all, and it wouldn't have been a hardship to have used it...

But now I have the one I REALLY wanted all along, someone else can enjoy the larger version...

It's this one by the way... I'll try and get it listed tomorrow

Journeyman
    That's good news!
    Thanks for sharing the update and glad to hear this happy ending.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for asking Mark..... YES today I can conclude my experience....

Watch arrived today, and is a brand spanking fully stickered up virgin example, that's not been handled or removed from the box...
    All papers, receipts cards etc are present and correct, and I received a small free gift... (A CD)
    Wow, excellent! Thanks for the feedback and I am very glad indeed that it eventually turned out well.

Thanks guys....

As a final few tips for fellow members thinking of buying from this or any other seller from abroad, what would I do differently next time?

Well for starters, before I committed any cash, I'd try to establish and agree a realistic delivery time..is the item really in stock??
    If not, is the advertised delivery of xxx days a reality or just a guess?? I know you have to take the info your given, but I'd want a bit more info, than just what's claimed on the website...

Next, can I pay a deposit, rather than the full amount??

And finally, I'd want a bit of an improvement in comms....simple stuff like yes we've received the bank transfer, we've dispatched your watch...
    I would also make myself more aware of national holidays too...
    Thanks also for this useful advice.

I hope you gain full enjoyment from this watch. :-)

Journeyman
    All's well that ends well I guess. Lovely watch but I'd have been up the wall worrying, a situation that would have undoubtedly been exacerbated by poor comms.

Craftsman

Very glad to hear this tale ending with smiles and not tears!!! :-)

Journeyman
    Having followed your thread since the beginning I'm glad to hear all has worked out. Enjoy the watch.

The lesson is not to buy watches from "Mediterranean" countries during August...in fact personally I would
    hesitate to order after June, rather like avoiding the UK at Christmas time!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by shottab View Post
    Very glad to hear this tale ending with smiles and not tears!!! :-)
    Just to clarify one thing.....I did do my research before I placed my order.. There was little doubt in my mind that I was dealing with a bona fide business....

Don't want folk thinking I'm an idiot, whom decided to risk a load of cash on a chancy deal..

I assume credit card was not an option?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    I assume credit card was not an option?
    It was.... But not the same deal as direct transfer.....

It was.... But not the same deal as direct transfer.....
    If just the usual credit card fees then for peace of mind it would be worth it.

CCs like Halifax Clarity charge no commission on Euro spend meaning your getting around spot rate, unlike the 3% adjustment to the rates the vast majority of CCs charge.

This can offset the higher cost given it'll invariably be a better rate than your bank will give you for changing cash.

Master
    The price quoted, was based on BT......other forms of payment, were an option, but not at the same price...:)

I knowingly accepted the risk:)
    Last edited by Enoch; 24th September 2014 at 19:12.

Master
    Is that a Chesterfield in the background? ;-p

Great outcome, isn't it lovely to receive such a "virginal" watch!

My custard Seawolf came to me direct from Breitling UK, completely factory untouched - loved it!

Master
    Yep.... And the wife's retro kitchen maid in the background.... She's even more old fashioned than me

Excellent ending, Enoch. Congratulations. And thank you for taking us all on this 'journey' with you so we are also better prepared and forewarned as we undertake similar risks.

Craftsman
    Glad you received the watch - enjoy it!

Craftsman

Glad it all worked out..

I have bought watches on chrono24 and from Italian delers and never had any issues.
    Clearly this guy knew he would be able to deliver but got cought in his eagerness to sell. Clearly he didn't have the watch in stock..All the watches I bought before were. I for one don't have any problems with Italian dealers.

Best regards,
    Guillermo

Craftsman
    Does anyone know if similar savings can be made on straps/deployants from Italian sellers?