closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: What's your opinion on the latest Omega Speedmaster '57?

What's your opinion on the latest Omega Speedmaster '57?

Would love to hear your thoughts on the Speedmaster '57, in particular the steel blue model Co-axial Chronograph 41.5mm 331.10.42.51.03.001.

I've always been a Speedmaster fan, and have owned several different variants, but I feel my collection is due an in-house Chrono and one of these is on the shortlist.

The bracelet having polished centre links is a non-issue to me, as I'd probably end up with it on the Brown Calf Leather that Omega have available for it, so discounting that, what about the watch in general?

I absolutely adore the movement functions. The in-house 2 register Chrono has the quickset hour change without having to hack the seconds which is great for travelling, meanwhile, the stopwatch function can double as a second timezone which I think is a clever integration.

The 9300 movement is a bit of a beauty, but in turn, it may be the thing that is putting me off the watch. It's huge! They've managed to squeeze this 41.5mm diameter watch around it, but still have to sacrifice the thickness. 16.6mm thick versus the 14.2mm of a Navitimer 01 or the 12.6mm of a Daytona, I don't think I'm that keen on how it might wear.

That said, the dial, functions and overall finishing looks top notch and a total departure in looks from the Speedy Pro, rather than one of the many similar limited editions. They're not cheap, but available for around £4.4k after discount. What say you? Any owners out there? Maybe even Moonwatch Co-Axial Chronograph 44.25mm owners can comment on the movement thickness, etc..?

Master
    The long lugs don't work for me personally, I prefer the much shorter style of the POC. The movement is an absolute stunner though, and rock solid. The best chrono movement out there? I think so.

With these newer larger Omegas, they need to be worn on a snug fitting bracelet or OEM strap. Doing this makes the transparent caseback sit 'in' your wrist and the height then becomes a non-issue.

As always try one on for size and fit before buying, and if you like it buy it!

Master
    The steel blue one works for me. The bottom one not so much.

Blog Entries
    Saw one of these (blue dial) yesterday and have to say it's a wow watch. The sunburst dual is incredible and I actually think the PCL's work on this, just. All in all I'd love to own one but the price tag was somewhat off putting. Only other concern is the thickness which is probably a bit thick for me, in terms of fitting under a shirt cuff.

Banned
    I like it, but the white dial and blue hands is my favourite.

Agree with CH ^ the white dial is the one to go for imo, gorgeous.

Craftsman
    another thumbs up from me. I love the 9300s and would own one if it werent for the size (diameter rather than thickness).

Im also a big fan of the standard 9300 and also the deville chrono.....

Both the blue face and the white face (with blue hands) are delicious.

On steel, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Captainhowdy View Post

Yes, this would be the choice for me.. A great watch, and the 9300 movement is a stunner.

Wowsers... that's the one!!

Master
    The white dialled one for me as well, that is simply gorgeous

Cheers

Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by RossC View Post

I like what Omega are doing, they look great. The movement looks lovely but just too thick.

I tried on the new MKII Racing and whilst it looked nice it sat too far off the wrist, the original models had it right.

Quote Originally Posted by Tahiti View Post
    The steel blue one works for me. The bottom one not so much.
    Saves me saying it^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

All nice, preference :
    1. White
    2. Blue
    3. Black
    However, having tried them on, they are too thick for my small wrists! I would definitely get one if I had larger wrists though as they are stunning.

Blog Entries
    Not seem the white one before, hubba hubba

Thanks for the responses.

All valid comments, but the thickness issue isn't going away. I guess I'll need to see if my local AD can get one in to try on. I tend to wear my watches a little loose, so having a snug fit so that the rear crystal wears 'in' to the wrist sounds a bit too much of a compromise.

I don't mind thick watches when it comes to big divers, but preferably not on a 41mm Speedy. Love the sunburst blue dial though - would really complement my Hulk as I adore the sunburst green dial on that.

Hmmm...

Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    I like what Omega are doing, they look great. The movement looks lovely but just too thick.
    I agree with Chris, the 9300 and 8500 calibres are simply too tall on the wrist. I was comparing an AT to a 214270 yesterday and the height difference was astonishing. They do look appealing, if impractical for those of us with medium sized wrists.

Master
    I think the steel blue model looks amazing and would love one. Go for it!

Master
    I tend to wear my watches a little loose, so having a snug fit so that the rear crystal wears 'in' to the wrist sounds a bit too much of a compromise.
    You get used to it. They're too big/heavy watches to wear loose, just like a DSSD is. You need to have them fitting correctly and as the designers envisaged.

Grand Master
    The 9300 movement is a bit of a beauty, but in turn, it may be the thing that is putting me off the watch. It's huge! They've managed to squeeze this 41.5mm diameter watch around it, but still have to sacrifice the thickness. 16.6mm thick versus the 14.2mm of a Navitimer 01 or the 12.6mm of a Daytona, I don't think I'm that keen on how it might wear.

The movement is not what's causing the thickness; that's a styling decision exacerbated by the glass bubble-back. The 9300 movement is thinner than an ETA 7750, and it's quite possible to fit that in a robust case of around 13-13.5mm. Also the main hour and minute hands have to rise further above the dial to clear the prominent dial cutlery and the stacked hands of the subdials, which means the main crystal sits prouder than it would do otherwise.
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

I heart that watch. I may be tempted to sell many of my possessions in order to facilitate the purchase of such a desirable timepiece.

Quote Originally Posted by stix View Post
    I think the steel blue model looks amazing and would love one. Go for it!
    ^^^^^ that^^^^ steel blue for me by a mile.

Master
    the blue one is stunning, that sunburst effect looks lovely in that colour. to be fair, the grey one and the white ones arent shabby either!

i quite like when a watch is thicker if the diameter is as small as that as it would make the watch fit me better. a similar affair occurs with my seamaster chrono, it is sized like a ladies watch but the thickness makes it wearable for me.

I'd like to see one first hand, but first impressions, it isn't really working for me.

I think it's the date window, especially on the blue steel dial. It looks wrong (black date wheel on a blue steel face, cheaped out there a bit, I feel).

I don't like the multitude of different coloured hands on it either.

The white one works best for me, but not that well. It's a different movement, though, surely? A second time zone on the 3 o'clock subdial.

I might love it in person, of course!

M.
    Last edited by snowman; 26th August 2014 at 17:22.

Master
    Same movement, the 9300 has a dual handed chrono timer at 3 o'clock.

It is a handsome watch but like many recent Omegas it is stupidly thick.

I love the manual wind Speedy Pro enough so that I have 2 of them. I don't like the 9300s at all due to the excessive thickness, a massive failure of either styling or engineering.

Like others I'd prefer the white face...and it's titanium too. My comments would be:

• Why put lume on the small chrono hands and not on the central seconds?
    • It seem to lack a quick-set date.
    • Silver hands on black don't work for me, without a large lume surface, eg sword hands

Journeyman
    I love them all, especially the white face, but when I tried them on I thought they were ridiculously thick.

The blue one looks nice but that white dial model with the blued hands is a total winner IMHO, especially with that pie-pan type rear display back. Stunning.

The white with blue hands is just stunning but what do I know :-) it's all about how it wears on your wrist that counts into what makes a great watch.

Master
    Blog Entries
    The 9300 Speedmasters look great in pictures, you don't seem to see many wrist shots though, I suspect this is because the height and lug position on the side profile makes them sit awkwardly and look a bit odd.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by KJH View Post
    The white dialled one for me as well, that is simply gorgeous
    +1

The black looked okay but then I saw the white dial and... wow!

I'm thinking should I flip my black dial Speedmaster and change up? ;-)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    • It seem to lack a quick-set date.
    But it has the quick-set hour hand instead, which is superb for travelling and date changes are still pretty quick

Quote Originally Posted by phil h View Post
    The 9300 Speedmasters look great in pictures, you don't seem to see many wrist shots though, I suspect this is because the height and lug position on the side profile makes them sit awkwardly and look a bit odd.
    Like I said before, get them fitted correctly and they sit 'in' the wrist (it's a POC, but you can see what I mean):

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarfan View Post
    But it has the quick-set hour hand instead, which is superb for travelling and date changes are still pretty quick...
    Ah-ha...so it does. I'd missed that...thanks.

Master
    No problem

Another 'in wrist' shot to explain my earlier point...

Would love one of these.. the titanium one with the white face and blue detail is particularity fetching, but quite a premium over the ss models :/

Journeyman
    white+blue=awesome colour combo

I love the chrono dial, it's like a mini watch.

I think also IWC has something like that.