closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Hirsch Runner - REALLY water resistant?

Hirsch Runner - REALLY water resistant?

I've got a diver on a Hirsch Runner strap and the strap claims to be "water resistant" to 100M.

Has anyone had any experience of actually diving in one of these straps? If so, how did it hold up?

M
    Last edited by snowman; 26th August 2014 at 11:02.

I can't speak from experience of Hirsch straps, but if you're taking it into salt water then I think it'll need a good rinse in fresh water to get rid of the salt before it dries out. Hirsch say:

"The bracelets will get moist, but...they absorb significantly less water and dry much more quickly than bracelets made from conventionally tanned leather."

Letting salt crystals form will, in my opinion, inevitably lead to discolouration and wear.

Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    I can't speak from experience of Hirsch straps, but if you're taking it into salt water then I think it'll need a good rinse in fresh water to get rid of the salt before it dries out. Hirsch say:

"The bracelets will get moist, but...they absorb significantly less water and dry much more quickly than bracelets made from conventionally tanned leather."

Letting salt crystals form will, in my opinion, inevitably lead to discolouration and wear.
    Thanks. That's a good point, I'll switch it back to its rubber strap to dive in.

Cheers.

M

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    I've got a diver on a Hirsch Runner strap and the strap claims to be "water resistant" to 100M.

Has anyone had any experience of actually diving in one of these straps? If so, how did it hold up?

M
    My 2cents would be.. its a £30-£35 strap and the manufacturer are advising its safe to 100m.
    I can't imagine your getting anywhere close to that on your hols / dives? If you like the strap and you want to wear it on holiday or for diving locally.. i say go and play in it. Give it a wash in fresh water afterwards. If it doesn't stand up to reasonable duress I would wager hirsch would make amends if you spoke to them about it.

I've just bought a Hirsch Robby for my seiko monster. The strap is rated to 300m so I figure I'd be OK diving to a depth similar to a high strength alloyed steel submarine.

What happens at 100m?! Suddenly the pressure becomes too much for the strap and it disintegrates?! How is a 100m rated strap different to the 300m version? - I'm guessing marketing/BS.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    What happens at 100m?! Suddenly the pressure becomes too much for the strap and it disintegrates?! How is a 100m rated strap different to the 300m version? - I'm guessing marketing/BS.
    Actually I think it's more to do with the fact that this is what the straps are tested to - probably due to costs. It is up to the buyer to decide or make the decision what depth they take it to, rather than market it as "we test to 100m but you can assume it can go to 300m"

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_B View Post
    My 2cents would be.. its a £30-£35 strap and the manufacturer are advising its safe to 100m.
    I can't imagine your getting anywhere close to that on your hols / dives? If you like the strap and you want to wear it on holiday or for diving locally.. i say go and play in it. Give it a wash in fresh water afterwards. If it doesn't stand up to reasonable duress I would wager hirsch would make amends if you spoke to them.
    That's a fair point, I guess.

I doubt I'll get below 15m, so if it can't cope with that, there would be something seriously wrong with it.

Maybe I'll give it a go. It's more comfortable than the rubber day to day.

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Master
    Blog Entries
    My guess is it means suitable for 100m activities - which IiRC means swimming and snorkelling.

I have a Di Modell 100m strap and used it in the Great Barrier Reef in 2009 - the glue failed last week, 5 years later. Go for it. Rinse well afterwards...

Craftsman
    Get £10 rubber strap for diving occasion; problem solved. (Or use this as excuse to buy more watches...)

-OD

Quote Originally Posted by odgreen View Post
    Get £10 rubber strap for diving occasion; problem solved. (Or use this as excuse to buy more watches...)

-OD
    I HAVE a rubber strap for it, I just wanted to know if the Water Resistant Hirsch was 'dive proof' to save taking two (watches or straps )

M