closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Concerned. Advice Please.

Master

Concerned. Advice Please.

Jesus, how did this thread get so derailed? I bought a watch from an AD (the first time I have bought a new watch costing a significant-to me- amount of money) so I wanted to try the New From An AD Experience. The watch had a problem, I asked for advice, and from there on I've been slated for buying a new Oris from an AD.
    Get over yourselves guys, I didn't ask weather I should have bought the watch or not, I asked for advice on a potential problem the watch had. Don't tell me that you guys didn't enjoy that first purchase of a new expensive (relative, I know) watch from an AD otherwise you would have just sourced second hand.
    As I said earlier guys, this is something that I probably won't do again unless I'm in the position to buy a Daytona.
    Last edited by jaytip; 1st September 2014 at 23:48.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ach5 View Post
    Multiples (both watches & "grands"!) but at least for me it wasn't much different to buying a book from waterstones... I don't think any purchase ever took more than 25-30 mins at the very most, and most of that is the usual faff with getting the card signed and watch sorted out in the box etc. there was certainly never any "wining and dining" but I accept that some people find that very important and need a bit of a fuss making for them.

I have never been offered anything more than a smooth purchase, and would feel a bit awkward if it were anything more than that!

What exactly do you expect? (Genuine question)
    So why go to an AD and pay full price then? Why not just source the watch you want second hand and save your money?

Master
    I don't know how we're on to pre-owned, but if it was as a result of my links, then you've not paid attention.
    The 1st and 3rd are brand new, the 2nd is pre-owned (as I only noticed later), but the fact remains that you've had the brand new, expensive-to-you purchase with an AD experience thrown in, with the Oris.

You asked for advice, got it, agreed with it, then announced you were going to go for a Tudor BBB instead – that's where the thread took a slight detour, because at that
    point you were expecting to pay a lot more, but with an unexpected event occurring, you believed that idea was dead, except I showed you how you could have a brand new BBB for not much more than you'd already spent.

Ergo, here we are, and trying to get you to appreciate that nothing magical happens as part of standing in an AD's store. In fact, the magic is in being able to pick up the phone or write a message to another seller, who will happily send you one of the BBBs in return for your money.
    End result – you get what you really want, at a price that you can afford/justify, and still with the same 2-yr warranty as the £700 more expensive one you wanted to exchange the Oris for.

The reality is, you're just Mr A N Other, and I have absolutely no doubt that if you walk back into the store tomorrow, the salesperson won't be able to remember your name or even what it was that you bought!
    If that bursts your bubble, then I'm sorry – but there's nothing like a good dose of realism to shake off a pair of rose-tinted specs.
    Now, if that BBB really was the one you preferred, forget about AD experience nonsense, and think just of the £700 odd you'll have saved instead!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
    The reality is, you're just Mr A N Other, and I have absolutely no doubt that if you walk back into the store tomorrow, the salesperson won't be able to remember your name or even what it was that you bought!
    If that bursts your bubble, then I'm sorry – but there's nothing like a good dose of realism to shake off a pair of rose-tinted specs.
    Now, if that BBB really was the one you preferred, forget about AD experience nonsense, and think just of the £700 odd you'll have saved instead!
    Chillax. :-)

Some people like the AD experience and, for them, an extra £700 is perhaps worth paying to experience it. It doesn't have to be really sincerely 'real' to be enjoyable.

I know that you are like me and feel that the AD thing it's just not worth paying for. The end product is what counts. But there are nevertheless people who are willing to pay extra (what seems to me like rather a lot extra) for the whole coffee and "thank you, sir" thing. ;-)

Master
    I fully get the AD experience thing, but not when you know what it is that you want.
    If you walk into a store completely bewildered, and then proceed to spend a fair bit of time chatting and trying on 20 different watches, etc, then that's fine – but to walk in and say "I'd like to see/buy an XYZ 12345 with the white dial" then there's not much experience to be had that justifies more than £50 over an online purchase of the exact same thing.

* £50 is just an arbitrary figure for the sake of explaining the point.

Blog Entries
    I fully get the AD experience thing, but not when you know what it is that you want.
    If you walk into a store completely bewildered, and then proceed to spend a fair bit of time chatting and trying on 20 different watches, etc, then that's fine – but to walk in and say "I'd like to see/buy an XYZ 12345 with the white dial" then there's not much experience to be had that justifies more than £50 over an online purchase of the exact same thing.
    That is how I feel about it too but other people seem to feel differently. For them, the whole end-to-end experience seems to be of value.

Master

* £50 is just an arbitrary figure for the sake of explaining the point.
    In all honesty, this is pretty much how it went. I didn't walk in there wanting an Oris. I walked in literally to just have a browse, but then the other half gave her blessing for me to get a new watch. I had a budget in mind, I tried on a Tag F1 chrono, a Longines HC and a couple of Oris. I like a heavy watch, the Aquis small seconds is a heavy watch, I liked the look of it on my wrist, so bought it. I was in there for a good 45mins-1 hour trying on different watches and chatting, even going so far as looking on their iPad in store to see what was available to me from their collections that they didn't have in stock. Unfortunately I'm one of those people who when they decide they want something, they don't want to hang about waiting, I wanted a watch to take home with me. So the Oris was purchased.

Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    In all honesty, this is pretty much how it went. I didn't walk in there wanting an Oris. I walked in literally to just have a browse, but then the other half gave her blessing for me to get a new watch. I had a budget in mind, I tried on a Tag F1 chrono, a Longines HC and a couple of Oris. I like a heavy watch, the Aquis small seconds is a heavy watch, I liked the look of it on my wrist, so bought it. I was in there for a good 45mins-1 hour trying on different watches and chatting, even going so far as looking on their iPad in store to see what was available to me from their collections that they didn't have in stock. Unfortunately I'm one of those people who when they decide they want something, they don't want to hang about waiting, I wanted a watch to take home with me. So the Oris was purchased.
    Thats how i bought my first decent watch earlier this year (also an Oris which i love!) i got it for a very good price and i regularly drop in and have a good chat with them, try on different watches and they are great.

Last weekend i popped in as i wanted a new watch and spent over an hour trying on loads of watches taking advice (i am lucky they are very into watches) not once was i pressured into buying anything (although obviously that is what they ultimately wanted) and i walked away and made my decision which happened to be an internet purchase as the watch i wanted is not available over here.

I went back in to let them know i wouldnt be buying the aqua terra i had my eye on and the salesman was great, i apologised for his time and ge said that it is more important to him that i return throughout my life and have a good relationship with the store/staff than one purchase, he asked me to pop in with my new watch so he could take a look and have a coffee as he had some Oris aviation watches coming in and he knows i like der meisterflieger and i want to try one on

I have been in and spent maybe 3/4 hrs in this store in the last year and spent approx £600 lol, they are always great and they know in the next ten years that figure will probably be £6000 at least

I think internet shopping is brilliant when you are very informed and know what you like/want, i also think when you are new like me and learning finding a good AD is very important and buying my first watch in person, trying it on and discussing it/alternatives and having the opertunity to drop in and ask questions as well as the option to seek advice if there is a problem is worth a little extra.

The OP wanted the Oris over the Tudor something lots of people cant quite understand on this thread! I cant see he would save a huge amount online and given the fact he felt more comfortable buying from an AD it was the right decision and all ended very well, i personally have tried this watch on and it is gorgeous.

Enjoy

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    So why go to an AD and pay full price then? Why not just source the watch you want second hand and save your money?
    I never pay full price - does anyone here??

I totally get where the OP is coming from and I am not sure it is so much the AD "experience" as the help of being walked though various watches etc.

Mail order/grey dealers/SC etc. is great when you know what you want & are looking for a good deal but a good shop is also useful and with experience & increasing price tags negotiation becomes more important.

I did point the OP at a shop that would help and sells pre-owned but understandbly he was still a little intimidated by the price tags.

Just like when buying a car some people will spend all day getting the last penny off the price others will do a deal they are happy with.

On the 'AD experience' - I've now reached a point where most shops (because that's what they are) almost total lack of knowledge when it comes to watches - and I will include all your Rolex and omega 'boutiques' just grind my gears with their level of non-service. They just trot out staggering amounts of nonsense, and in the absence of knowledge they just make it up!
    Tbh to a salesperson the 'wealthy' guy buying a new Submariner is spending the same money as another person might spend on a 2nd hand Vauxhall astra, they're not impressed and don't feel they have to treat you like a prince. Give me a knowledgeable forum and an e-tailer any day! I don't mean any offence to the op and I hope you enjoy your Oris, but I do my best to avoid the 'full experience'!

Master
    ^^^This^^^
    My thoughts exactly!

Master
    To bring the thread back to its original point, my suggestion is that the OP goes back to the dealer and insists on getting a replacement model that has been checked and verified that all is OK. That can be done by the OP at the counter by inspecting it together with the dealer. If they can't or won't do that then a refund and another dealer is the way to go.

I've had 5 or 6 Oris watches over the years and all have been excellent quality in terms of build, timekeeping and relieability. I suspect that the OP was just unlucky with the dodgy watch he had that has somehow slipped through Oris quality control.

Rob